Prove there's a god.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#705584 Mar 22, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't answer the question. Afraid you might be wrong?
Again; do you know why no contemporary historians would've written about Jesus?
I'll answer before you can claim irrelevance or offer some other red herring or logical fallacy.
1) Because claims to be the Messiah weren't rare events. They were quite common.
Many people claimed to be self-appointed messianic leaders. They all had followers.
2) In the first century, Palestinian culture was predominantly oral. Very few people could read or write. They passed stories on by word of mouth.
3) The Romans were well known for executing self appointed kings. Jewish leaders of the Temple were well known for being corrupt and for protecting their power base.
4) Many people claimed to heal by divine intervention or powers. It was very common.
Conclusion: Jesus and his followers didn't generate much interest until AFTER his execution. Then they created a lot of interest.
You write:
"In the first century, Palestinian culture was predominantly oral. Very few people could read or write. They passed stories on by word of mouth."

"Philo was born before the beginning of the Christian era, and lived until long after the reputed death of Christ. He wrote an account of the Jews covering the entire time that Christ is said to have existed on earth.

He was living in or near Jerusalem when Christ's miraculous birth and the Herodian massacred occurred. He was there when Christ made his triumphal entry into Jerusalem. He was there when the crucifixion with its attendant earthquake, supernatural darkness, and resurrection of the dead (zombies) took place -- when Christ himself rose from the dead, and in the presence of many witnesses ascended into heaven.

"These marvelous events which must have filled the world with amazement, had they really occurred, were unknown to him. It was Philo who developed the doctrine of the Logos, or Word, and although this Word incarnate dwelt in that very land and in the presence of multitudes revealed himself and demonstrated his divine powers, Philo saw it not.

Stories are almost always passed around by mouth, but there were many writers and readers around the time of Jesus and most people are curious as to why no one wrote of him at the time.

Since the first written word of Jesus was 30-40 years after his death, and by unknown authors, I think people are right to question the stories (myths) just as it is reasonable to question the stories (myths) in the Old Testament

Were there myths of gods who were resurrected after death extant at the time of Jesus?

Evolution is true.....

#705585 Mar 22, 2014
Sorry, forgot the credit for the Philo story.

http://www.holysmoke.org/sdhok/jesus5.htm
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#705588 Mar 22, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Second try.
<quoted text>
The church has been demonizing and persecuting atheists for no legitimate reason for centuries. We've only recently acquired a voice, and have just begun to object. Only one of those is a moral crime, and only one is justified.
I'm afraid that the reputation of the church with the public has only just begun to plummet. Watch as the number of unbelievers grows and becomes more emboldened. And watch how gracelessly the church handles it. There can be only one outcome for that process.
<quoted text>
That's not your call.
"The church has been demonizing and persecuting atheists...."
prove it
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#705589 Mar 22, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
You write:
"In the first century, Palestinian culture was predominantly oral. Very few people could read or write. They passed stories on by word of mouth."
"Philo was born before the beginning of the Christian era, and lived until long after the reputed death of Christ. He wrote an account of the Jews covering the entire time that Christ is said to have existed on earth.
He was living in or near Jerusalem when Christ's miraculous birth and the Herodian massacred occurred. He was there when Christ made his triumphal entry into Jerusalem. He was there when the crucifixion with its attendant earthquake, supernatural darkness, and resurrection of the dead (zombies) took place -- when Christ himself rose from the dead, and in the presence of many witnesses ascended into heaven.
"These marvelous events which must have filled the world with amazement, had they really occurred, were unknown to him. It was Philo who developed the doctrine of the Logos, or Word, and although this Word incarnate dwelt in that very land and in the presence of multitudes revealed himself and demonstrated his divine powers, Philo saw it not.
Stories are almost always passed around by mouth, but there were many writers and readers around the time of Jesus and most people are curious as to why no one wrote of him at the time.
Since the first written word of Jesus was 30-40 years after his death, and by unknown authors, I think people are right to question the stories (myths) just as it is reasonable to question the stories (myths) in the Old Testament
Were there myths of gods who were resurrected after death extant at the time of Jesus?
those guys soon overshadowed the prominent historians of his day, by a million miles. Their writings of god-man ignited the greatest, farthest reaching, most powerful, sensational revolution by far in world history, which flourishes now and will until the end of time.
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#705591 Mar 22, 2014
Then said Paul unto him, God shall smite thee, thou whited wall: for sittest thou to judge me after the law, and commandest me to be smitten contrary to the law?

Acts 23:3. Wetstein sees in the words the customary formula of malediction among the Jews. But we need not regard Paul’s words as an imprecation of evil on the high priest, but only an expression of the firm belief that such conduct would meet with punishment, cf. Knabenbauer, in loco. The terrible death of Ananias was a fulfilment of the words. On the paronomasia and other instances of the same figure see Blass, Gram., p. 292.—&#964;&#959;& #8150;&#967;&#949; &#954;&#949;&#954; &#959;&#957;., cf. Matthew 23:27, Luke 11:44, the expression may have been proverbial, in LXX, cf. Proverbs 21:9. A contrast has been drawn between St. Paul’s conduct and that of our Lord under provocation, as, e.g., by St. Jerome, Adv. Pelag., iii., 1, but there were occasions when Christ spoke with righteous indignation, and never more severely than when He was condemning the same sin which St. Paul censured—hypocrisy.—&#954; &#945;&#8054; &#963;&#973;, emphatic, cf. Mark 4:13, Luke 10:29. &#954;&#945;&#8054 ; at the commencement of a question expressing indignation or astonishment (Page).—&#954;&#940; &#952;&#8131; &#954;&#961;&#943; &#957;&#969;&#957; , later form for &#954;&#940;&#952; &#951;&#963;&#945; &#953;, cf. for the phrase Luke 22:30.—&#960;&#945; &#961;&#945;&#957; &#959;&#956;&#8182 ;&#957;: only here in N.T., but cf. LXX, Ps. 75:4, 118:51; the verb also occurs several times in 4 Macc.

Expositor's Greek Testament

gotta love paulie baby

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#705592 Mar 22, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> Nope! I was fkn with christine to "sweeten" her coffee! I don't really find humor in that at all nano, if that's all you got to say, go fk off somewhere. that shyt or dum@$$ comments like that don't interest me in the least, if you can't say anything better than that, just don't bother commenting on my post.. I want lose sleep either way!
Listen up, buddy, you hang with the beasts so expect to get a little splash-back on you once in a while.
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#705593 Mar 22, 2014
Lest you plan on responding that Hitler was a Christian as you do... let me address that now. I grant that at the beginning of his political career, Hitler used the German Church for political propaganda purposes by utilizing Christian jargon. However, this does not by any means make him a Christian. Not only do his fruits prove otherwise, but we have his personal conversations. You yourself admit,“Whether or not Hitler was a ‘true’ Christian is debatable.” In a book respected by historians titled Hitler’s Secret Conversations 1941-1944, Hitler states that religion is an “organized lie [that] must be smashed. The State must remain the absolute master....it’s impossible to eternally hold humanity in bondage and lies.... was only between the sixth and eighth centuries that Christianity was imposed upon our peoples.... Our peoples had previously succeeded in living all right without this religion. I have six divisions of SS men absolutely indifferent in matters of religion. It doesn’t prevent them from going to their death with serenity in their souls.” These are not the words of a Christian.

mike licona

Evolution is true.....

#705594 Mar 22, 2014
<quoted text>
You didn't answer the question. Afraid you might be wrong?
Again; do you know why no contemporary historians would've written about Jesus?
I'll answer before you can claim irrelevance or offer some other red herring or logical fallacy.
1) Because claims to be the Messiah weren't rare events. They were quite common.
Many people claimed to be self-appointed messianic leaders. They all had followers.
2) In the first century, Palestinian culture was predominantly oral. Very few people could read or write. They passed stories on by word of mouth.
3) The Romans were well known for executing self appointed kings. Jewish leaders of the Temple were well known for being corrupt and for protecting their power base.
4) Many people claimed to heal by divine intervention or powers. It was very common.
Conclusion: Jesus and his followers didn't generate much interest until AFTER his execution. Then they created a lot of interest.
You write:
"2) In the first century, Palestinian culture was predominantly oral. Very few people could read or write. They passed stories on by word of mouth."

"“To put this into proper context, Tiro was not a Roman citizen but a slave. So Roman society was such that it mandated that even slaves, the lowest rung in Roman society, were to be taught how to read and write and this was over a hundred years before Jesus supposedly preached in Galilee.

Moreover, Josephus in Against Apion (2.204) stated that the "law requires that they (children) be taught to read". Finally, based on Mark 1.39, 2.25, 12.10; Matt. 12.5, 19.4, 21.16; Luke 4.16; and John 7.15 Jesus himself appears to been able to read and write."

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#705595 Mar 22, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Listen up, buddy, you hang with the beasts so expect to get a little splash-back on you once in a while.
Right.

Splash-back.

Location hidden

#705596 Mar 22, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Sane and civilized? That's rich coming from a scorpion like you.
"If religion contained any truth, it could be ridiculed, insulted, even defiled, without being diminished in any way. Its truth would shine through: undimmed, unblemished, shaming those who abused it into silence. But that’s not how things are." - Pat Condell
Says the snake that promotes arson.

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

“An Ye Harm None, Do As Ye Will”

Since: May 10

I Am A Religion-Free Zone

#705597 Mar 22, 2014
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
Good for you!!
Light?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. I am a Marlboro Red man.
I was offering you a light. Light, match, flame, etc.

Light another!

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

#705598 Mar 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yeah, probably......
"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth"
<quoted text>
What liar wrote that?
The author of genesis; that liar.

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

#705599 Mar 22, 2014
<quoted text>
Phelps is dead? Really?
There might actually be a god after all!
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I would be honored to take a shit on his grave.
No cutting in line! No cutting in line!!

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

#705600 Mar 22, 2014
No, it isn't. It's a lack of belief. An absence of belief. When's that going to sink in?
<quoted text>
No it isn't.
<quoted text>
Correct.
<quoted text>
Wrong. Atheists say, "We don't believe in a god." You don't get to redefine atheism just to support your failed position.
Deal with it.
<quoted text>
Are you sure that the God of the Christian Bible does NOT exist? Can you quantify that in a percentage for us?
Are you 95% sure?
Are you 80% sure?
Are you more than 65% sure?
One hundred percent sure.

A real, honest-to-god "God," with supreme power and supreme knowledge and supreme compassion and supreme intelligence and supreme everything else would not act like a childish, petty, bloodthirsty tyrant that punishes people for "sins" that they didn't commit.

Location hidden

#705601 Mar 22, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
you are a paragon of morality
perfect for christianity
He's paid in time for at least one of his crimes, unlike your buddies here who have stalked other Topix posters offline, hypocrite.

Location hidden

#705602 Mar 22, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Right.
Splash-back.
shush

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

#705603 Mar 22, 2014
Wrong. Atheists say, "We don't believe in a god." You don't get to redefine atheism just to support your failed position.
Deal with it.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
***SOME*** atheists say that, not all of them.
There are plenty of atheists that post on this very website that are constantly saying "there is no god".
That is not, what you claim, is a belief in no god; it is a non-belief in any god.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Unless they can prove that in fact there is no God, they are expressing their belief and you damn well know it.
They don't have to prove to your satisfaction that they do not believe in any gods, and you damn well know it.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#705604 Mar 22, 2014
tricki wrote:
"The church has been demonizing and persecuting atheists...." prove it
No thanks. I'm content just leaving the bare claim.

“I love Jesus”

Since: Dec 08

Heaven, but Earthbound for now

#705605 Mar 22, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a university trained anthropologist and historian.
Are you including me in that insult ?
You have insulted quite a few Christian posters, yet you ask if you were included in an insult? I am not in the business of hurling insults at people unless they insult me first. I think it is very unbecoming and I do not practice this. Unless you feel something is applied directly to you, then you should not take it as an insult. I never really thought of historians or anthropologist as scientist either. If so, I have a degree in history; does that mean I am a scientist? I also have MA in Special Education which includes autism; does that make a me a scientist having a degree that studies and applies the theory to the behaviors of people with disabilities in comparison to anthropology, the study of humans behavior in society?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#705606 Mar 22, 2014
<quoted text>
Are you sure that the God of the Christian Bible does NOT exist? Can you quantify that in a percentage for us?
Are you 95% sure?
Are you 80% sure?
Are you more than 65% sure?
You're wasting your time.
Whether or not God exists is secondary to many topix atheists if indeed it carries any importance at all.
Their motivation is to strike out at those they have felt persecuted by. To annoy and damage those who they perceive as their tormentors.Those who rejected their "life choices"etc.Put simply many are just angry at those who rejected them so they take every opportunity to piss on everyones corn flakes as it were.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 min Lifelover 619,168
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 16 min AussieBobby 284,451
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 27 min lightbeamrider 447
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 33 min Seentheotherside 45,788
Poll does anyone want to exchange nude pics? (Oct '13) 36 min Lukewad 47
The Future of Politics in America 44 min Johnny 131
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 44 min Neville Thompson 950
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr bad bob 184,654
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr kent 665,093
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 hr nanoanomaly 87,858
More from around the web