“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#704922 Mar 21, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
But wouldn't Moses have been familiar with "God"? By him asking it's name implies to me that he had not experienced a God like, I Am That I Am. << That God separated himself from all others simply by stating that. Moses would've had no reason to question who the God was, as he would've been familiar..There was no Gods to be before him, so by that statement, that done away with all Gods of Canaan as False Gods Or One of them is a Liar!
It would be too much trouble for me to decipher this.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#704923 Mar 21, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
What ?
When did god order destroying himself or any other deity ?
The Hebrews justified butchering their cousins by claiming they didn't worship El properly. Just like the Catholics and Protestants killing each other for 500 years
By ordering the destruction of Canaan would've been destroying himself. why would the God EL order Abraham to leave Canaan, then order their demise? them people were sacrificing children and shyt to EL, right? that tells me they were feeding Evil with souls.. No loving God would order or demand sacrifice like that, unless it was a God wanting to be "As God" (Deception) it doesn't make sense to me that God (EL) Would order Abraham out of Canaan, when he was already there serving him. what purpose would that have served? picture a Canaan holding a child over Fire and throwing child in Fire, all in worship of EL.. No way in He!!, that God told Abraham to leave there and he would make a great nation of his seed. One God ordered Abraham to sacrifice his son (Evil) The other God stopped him (Good) the God that wanted sacrifice of his child was probably the God of Canaan and wanted him returned to old ways, but the other God saved him with the unblemished lamb, to show there is a better way and that unblemished Lamb came fulfilled through Jesus.. One of them Gods was/is a Liar, plain and simple..

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#704924 Mar 21, 2014
Jehova, yaweh and jesus are the names of the christian 1x3=1 god(s).

Lucifer is the name of the most powerful christian god(s).

None of them actually exist.

Happy to help.

“I love Jesus”

Since: Dec 08

Heaven, but Earthbound for now

#704925 Mar 21, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
of course he can't
he does not exist.
but
the bible, and christian followers, often claim, supernatural intervention.
We know they are lying, but still, their claims negate the existence of the god.
You know that is a lie.

You mean YOU think a deity does not exist and you just think there are no supernatural interventions. You cannot possibly know any of this for certain nor can you make the claim those who do believe are lying about the supernatural situations they say they experience. You mean, it is just YOUR opinion and well.. like they say.. opinions are like butt holes..we all have them and some are more smelly than others. Yours may indeed take 1st prize..

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#704926 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
YHWH is a proper noun referring to the God of Israel. It is often translated "LORD".
But wait!!
For two payments of only 19.99 each, the Yodakikes will send the first installments of of the "tetraslammer" to cathaholic wannabees as well(including the(Y) lesson about how to be "touched in the head) and begin the process of "irreducible creation insanity".
YHWH is just"Homey" spelled backward in Yodakikee

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#704927 Mar 21, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
"I think they should have hospitals for creationists where you are only treated with prayer. None of that medical and scientific stuff."
It would solve the Health Care problem in the USA.

Shut down all hospitals in the Bible Belt.

Location hidden

#704928 Mar 21, 2014
Susie D wrote:
<quoted text> Loosing my cool? You may be okay with being called vile names and talked to in that sort of manner, but my motto is, if you can dish it out, be prepared to take it.. I never say anything first.. and yes, I am fiesty.. and I never resort to wishing bad things on people; those are the one truly losing something... maybe their integrity and mind and possible their cool...
I am not ok with being called names, but hey, it's what it is, your good christian went out the window with "slut" hahaha!!

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#704929 Mar 21, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> By ordering the destruction of Canaan would've been destroying himself....
Canaan is God?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#704930 Mar 21, 2014
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
So who was the asshat who decided that there was only *one* god, and that he was its voice? Was it Abraham? Really, I'm interested in knowing where the whole "one god" idea came from.
I'd like to kick his balls.
I really don't think it can be attributed to one singular person, not in the historical sense. Much like who is the "father" of the United States. That answer would depend on who you ask. Many "fathers", but that original founder is non existent.

It's said that Zoroastrianism was the first monotheistic religion.

But Hinduism, in some respects is considered monotheistic(since the "god" is said to be in all things at all times), but in practice it's often seen as polytheistic by those not Hindu. Although there are Hindu sects that are certainly monotheistic and have been for more than 4,000 years.

I tend to think most earth-centric or Pantheist beliefs are monotheistic in effect, but the focal point in practice is seen as polytheistic at times.

Just prior to and during the exile, it's thought by some that Judaism acquired much of the monotheistic philosophy during that time period.

When you look at the early chapters of the bible, the deity seems schizophrenic; happy, loving, angry, sad, vengeful, unsure etc... Capricious.

One appearance claims you can't look at it(deity), another claims face to face, a different encounter is related as "appeared as a ______".

What you're seeing is the merging of distinct tribal Hebrew deities being represented in a narrative, which, when combining the divergent beliefs in the assimilation process(of different tribes), and later in the redaction/historicization process presents that seemingly "at odds with itself" deity picture and belief set.

So out of polytheism, monotheism emerged, but it wasn't an - all at once - unified(Judaism wide) process. It was gradual, and only unified later - in biblical compilation and Judaic philosophy. After the exile, when the Jews became a separate people again, after having been reduced to non entities, was when the beliefs were rebuilt or assembled.

Much like when two small rural communities or small cities merge by expansion, there is a mixing of story/history. Eventually becoming one community or one city many years later, but still having some convoluted historical details.

If you're interested in reading an informative and backed by historical and archaeological evidence book on the subject, I'd suggest:

The Origins of Biblical Monotheism: Israel's Polytheistic Background and the Ugaritic Texts by Mark S. Smith
http://www.jhsonline.org/reviews/review031.ht...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#704931 Mar 21, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
Indiana Jones knew what it was. Why don't you?
Will you please stop getting your info from Hollywood?
Who told you that?
Not Indiana Jones.
It's amusing.
Exodus 6:3 "And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name Jehovah was I not known to them." KJV
At some point the chosen people made it taboo to use the real name, so they started using other names and titles. Most often they used "Adonai", which turns into "The LORD" in most Bibles.
So says the freethinking freethinker that thinks the Bible is just myth.

I'll not take your word for it, if'n you don't mind.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#704932 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh.
Well you specifically said "nowhere on the planet".
Silly me that I didn't assume you meant a country or a population cluster and that you actually meant "nowhere on the planet".
I'm stupid that way.
Well if we consider the three cubic feet that your body occupies as a "somewhere", the statement no longer has any meaning.

Christianity is widely disbelieved and bizarre.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#704933 Mar 21, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
The inevitable escape route for theists is the appeal to popularity, and its derivatives.
Christianity is a popular cult. I never said it wasn't popular.
Yeah.

The appeal to popularity is used often in Apologetics and by "membership" Christians in trying to defend behavior of the religion in the past, and present as well.

<Christian> "My religion has the most members." >>It must be a valid deity belief.

<Christian> "All Christian scholars and Theologists agree on this point." >>It must be a valid deity belief.

<Christian> "This country has more Christians than any other religious belief, it's a Christian country." >>It must be a valid deity belief.

Etc...

It's the rule of Blue Mud: If everyone rubs blue mud in their navels, you're a deviant if you don't rub blue mud in your navel. >> Especially when a deity is involved.

We see variations of that mentality all the time.

Never mind that there is no unbiased evidences for the deity. Popularity is the way.

This is seen, too:

<Christian> "So..just because over centuries and millennia, Christians did bad things to non Christians, doesn't mean all Christianity is bad. Those bad Christians weren't Real Christians™. You see, the majority of Christians are Real Christians™. Why can't we just focus on the good parts?" >>It must be a valid deity belief.

Fantastic~/.

It's a great belief system when you can claim someone isn't a Real Christian™, because they did something you don't approve of. That way, only the Christians that do things Christians approve of, are Real Christians™. Just rule out the bad aspects, and all that's left is the "good".

That last part above is variation of the appeal to popularity, and a bit of the Naturalistic "ought-is" fallacy. The whole of Christianity is underpinned in large part by that type of fallacious reasoning.

Getting back to the cult aspects of Christianity, is there any wonder so many smaller cults emerge from the shadow of the larger, parent cult of Christianity proper?

Zealots and cults emerge from the pages of the Christian "holy book" on a regular basis.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#704934 Mar 21, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
Happy to help.
Is that your belief or your lack of belief?

It sure looks like a belief to me....

“I love Jesus”

Since: Dec 08

Heaven, but Earthbound for now

#704935 Mar 21, 2014
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe (if you were even telling the truth about it) and you spent your time helping those students instead of blowing hot air on topix, they wouldn't "be" dropouts----you are failing them as well as failing us here. You are such a loser.
Umm.. notice I only post AFTER school hours.. unlike you and Katie... I teach Special Education and students with behavioral disorders.. So when I say I teach students like Kate.. Think what I meant.. She has some serious issues and it is those issues that cause those students to drop out of school; it is not the teachers fault but rather her own behavior.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#704936 Mar 21, 2014
I see not much has changed here. Actually nothing has changed. The existence or nonexistence of God remains an open question with no resolution in sight. Some believe others do not. End of story.

Location hidden

#704937 Mar 21, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
Happy to help.
surely you jest? Lucifer is not even close. He had to get permission to even touch Job, let alone kill him. so his most powerful was squashed there..Pineapple?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#704938 Mar 21, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
It would solve the Health Care problem in the USA.
Shut down all hospitals in the Bible Belt.
Except for the Christian hospitals.

Which is most of them.....

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#704939 Mar 21, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
The name is YHWH.
YHWH does not mean "god" or "deity". It is not appropriate to use this to refer to any other deity.
Some people who believe in the deity with this name believe they shouldn't use it, so they replace it with Adonai. It's superstitious nonsense of course. They are still referring to a specific character.
It's like in Harry Potter when they talk about you-know-who.
King Arthur: Cut down a tree with a herring? It can't be done.
[the Knights of Ni scream and cover their ears]

Knight 1: Don't say that word!

King Arthur: What word?

Knight 1: I cannot tell! Suffice to say, is one of the words the Knights of Ni cannot hear!

King Arthur: How can we not say the word if you don't tell us what it is?
[the Knights of Ni scream again]

Knight 1: He said it again!

King Arthur: What,"is"?

Knight 1: No, no, not "is". Wouldn't get very far in life not saying "is".

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#704940 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't understand the meaning of cult, do you?
Christianity doesn't fit.
Christianity is a cult...
YOU art a "clunt".
That was bestowed upon you before you were ever "touched in the head" by your clown leader "Yeahoo Slipuppa la'Dinga".
Summa dayja youha gonna gittit....

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#704941 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Ah. The supposed rational freethinking skeptical freethought guy makes an ad populum fallacy.
You said Christianity is not widely disbelieved, which is not true.

Cults can be small or large. I don't discriminate based on popularity. You need to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min June VanDerMark 574,286
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 19 min KiMare 97,902
__POPE to Lead U.N. 1-World GOVT "Launching" 28 min YouTubeHeadlines 1
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 29 min RADEKT 269,004
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 32 min trifecta1 608,241
CAPE TOWN: Lesbian/Bisexual Women Whatsapp (Feb '14) 37 min chantel 20
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 1 hr biology 150 221,750
Straight guys: Would you ever have intercourse ... (Jul '12) 11 hr viky235 164
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Mar '14) 21 hr Coolsa 205
More from around the web