“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#704802 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You don't understand the meaning of cult, do you? Christianity doesn't fit.
Cult - a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definiti...

That's Christianity. The fact that the word has another definition that doesn't apply - and possibly the only one you knew - isn't relevant.

Fennario

#704803 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Religion makes everything worse? Does it make cheese worse?
karl44 wrote:
filthy ... is that worse?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Religion makes cheese filthy?
Haven't you heard? Cheese's crust got all muddy.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#704804 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah. I try to steer clear of atheist apologetics.
Thanks anyway.
You're not even close.

Here's one I find acceptable, for instance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_S._Smith

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#704805 Mar 21, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Cult - a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
That's Christianity. The fact that the word has another definition that doesn't apply - and possibly the only one you knew - isn't relevant.
It's the connotation behind the word "cult".

Cult implies bizarre or widely disbelieved.

Christianity is widely believed, thus, not a cult.
Greens - Tuf

Sydney, Australia

#704806 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
So what an atheist says there is no God, that's not a belief?
That's right, it is not a belief.

It is only an assumption.
They do not believe that there is an afterlife , but they cannot prove that there is not one , so they are only assuming .
I know for fact that there is an afterlife , so I do not say that I believe there is , for I know there is.

Can an atheist say there is no afterlife because they know for fact that there is no afterlife ?
No they cannot, because it is only their belief and their belief only. But without evidence it leaves them with nothing but assumptions.

Fennario

#704807 Mar 21, 2014
Greens - Tuf wrote:
Why on earth would you want to change a persons beliefs? How will this help you in the long run Karl ?
Another Australian - LuciFerr - asked me that question a few months ago :

LuciFerr wrote: "I live in a country where Atheists are the majority. No issues there. I was appalled and repulsed upon discovering that in America, Atheists were in 'the closet', then set about to understand all that this implies."

IANS answered: "That's nice for you. Most atheists in the West enjoys that status as well. But in America, the church has successfully defined us as among the the worst people there are - certainly the very worst that aren't criminals. I suspect that most American Christians rate pedophilic priests above hard working, law abiding atheists."

[If you are interested in why I wrote that, and the defense of the claim, see the original post at
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... which contains a link to an article about a survey that contained this sentence: "Disturbingly, Atheists are seen as a threat to the American way of life by a large portion of the American public" ]

She expressed surprise at that in a later post. I'm assuming that you are unaware as well

We unbelievers have a legitimate interest in putting that to a stop. And it won't happen until the church's numbers decline significantly.

It's not so much about changing the beliefs of individuals, but changing the beliefs of a culture, which occurs in this case by replacing believers with unbelievers.The older generations are top-heavy with the faithful, and the younger generations have disproportionately more skeptics. In another generation or two, non-Christians will outnumber Christians in America. And as Christianity fades, the attitude that you just read will fade with it, just as it has in your country.

“Faith = Trust”

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#704808 Mar 21, 2014
Greens - Tuf wrote:
<quoted text>
They do not believe that there is an afterlife , but they cannot prove that there is not one , so they are only assuming .
I know for fact that there is an afterlife , so I do not say that I believe there is , for I know there is.
Can an atheist say there is no afterlife because they know for fact that there is no afterlife ?
No they cannot, because it is only their belief and their belief only. But without evidence it leaves them with nothing but assumptions.
Well said.:)
Greens - Tuf

Sydney, Australia

#704809 Mar 21, 2014
<quoted text>
" particular figure or object "

Fail.
The material world can only have figures or objects, what we came from and eventually go back to is a medium of pure intelligent energy . You are only an illusion of a figure / object for reasons you cannot comprehend.
You are nothing but form with absolutely no substance,as am I.

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#704810 Mar 21, 2014
Greens - Tuf wrote:
<quoted text>I saw on the news that the Eastern seaboard of Qld will be getting up to 500mm of rain in 48hrs in the next few days.
Yeah, it's definitely looking that way right now.

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#704811 Mar 21, 2014
Greens - Tuf wrote:
<quoted text>It is still the "wet season" for you folks though.
I think by memory your wet season ends in April ?
March-April usually, yeah. I thought it was over but no.
Ghost Writer

Rome, NY

#704812 Mar 21, 2014
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
You show incredibly good taste, amico mio.
<quoted text>
Belay my last.
Hey, gotta be honest about my opinion. I see intelligent thought coming from both of you. Other than that, I'm staying out of it. The positive side is that it's like watching the Super Bowl this year. Seahawks are my favorite team but I also like Denver. Either way I would've been okay with the outcome.:)
Ghost Writer

Rome, NY

#704813 Mar 21, 2014
<quoted text>
Your use of the word "cult" is very generic and I have to say, in my opinion is a deliberate (albeit subtle) attempt to use the word in an improper context so as to influence opinion by attributing the negative attributes in the second definition to the first definition you posted, to suit your own biased agenda.

The second listed definition that RR is referring to is as follows:

A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister:
a network of Satan-worshiping cults

Because Christianity is one of the "Big Three" religions with an enormous global population, it doesn't conform to the 2nd definition, although in it's most generic sense does conform to the first.
Under that criteria, atheist and secular humanist organizations could also be classified as cults. They venerate the concept that there is no God and attribute cultural value to notable persons who share the same ideology. If you hold Madelyn Murray O'Hair in high esteem and are a member of American Atheists, you're in a cult.

"New Atheism" could be classified as a cult. Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens, and Harris are essenitally worshipped as the "Four Horsemen" of the new evangelical atheist movement. The Rally for Reason gathering in Washington D.C. demonstrates this quite nicely.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#704814 Mar 21, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> You're not even close.
Here's one I find acceptable, for instance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_S._Smith
Thanks

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#704815 Mar 21, 2014
Greens - Tuf wrote:
<quoted text>
You just said it's a belief and it's not a belief.
Greens - Tuf

Sydney, Australia

#704816 Mar 21, 2014
<quoted text>
LuciFerr wrote: "I live in a country where Atheists are the majority. No issues there. I was appalled and repulsed upon discovering that in America, Atheists were in 'the closet', then set about to understand all that this implies."
IANS answered: "That's nice for yo8u. Most atheists in the West enjoys that status as well. But in America, the church has successfully defined us as among the the worst people there are - certainly the very worst that aren't criminals. I suspect that most American Christians rate pedophilic priests above hard working, law abiding atheists."
[If you are interested in why I wrote that, and the defense of the claim, see the original post at
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... which contains a link to an article about a survey that contained this sentence: "Disturbingly, Atheists are seen as a threat to the American way of life by a large portion of the American public" ]
She expressed surprise at that in a later post. I'm assuming that you are unaware as well
We unbelievers have a legitimate interest in putting that to a stop. And it won't happen until the church's numbers decline significantly.
It's not so much about changing the beliefs of individuals, but changing the beliefs of a culture, which occurs in this case by replacing believers with unbelievers.The older generations are top-heavy with the faithful, and the younger generations have disproportionately more skeptics. In another generation or two, non-Christians will outnumber Christians in America. And as Christianity fades, the attitude that you just read will fade with it, just as it has in your country.
I agree with your post 100 %.
I mentioned to somebody on here a few months ago that we down here in Australia don't have Religion as our primary goal in life , it is very much in the background, and the way I see it , it is a good thing for understanding all that is. It gives a person a chance to think for themselves.
I find it fascinating to read people's posts who live in different parts of the world , particularly the USA and it seems most have been associated with a said church during some part of their lives. Most atheists have at one stage been associated with a said church and through experience they have repelled what they once followed.
I shall elaborate more tomorrow as my battery is about to die and it is super late down here.:)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#704817 Mar 21, 2014
<quoted text>
IANS answered: "That's nice for you. Most atheists in the West enjoys that status as well. But in America, the church has successfully defined us as among the the worst people there are - certainly the very worst that aren't criminals. I suspect that most American Christians rate pedophilic priests above hard working, law abiding atheists."
First, Luci was wrong. According to a recent census, less than 20% of the Australian population checked the box that said "no religion".

Second, I think you have more than just an "interest" in expressing your beliefs.

Third, I don't know why you'd think that Americans would see pedophile priests a better than atheists.

I think you're frothing in hatred towards your Christian brethren.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#704818 Mar 21, 2014
<quoted text>
Of course, there was never a god at all.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#704819 Mar 21, 2014
Greens - Tuf wrote:
<quoted text>
There was never after dead anything else.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#704820 Mar 21, 2014
Greens - Tuf wrote:
<quoted text>
I like how he said " More , and more are joining us , I think we can change it "
Wake up Karl, this ain't a game of who has a bigger team, this just shows how far away from the truth you are.
We are all the bloody same regardless of what you think , get over it.
Why on earth would you want to change a persons beliefs? How will this help you in the long run Karl ?
What it is , is what it is , and nothing that you think will change the end result.
It don't matter what you want to change , you ain't in control.
Grow up boy.
You are right!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#704821 Mar 21, 2014
Greens - Tuf wrote:
<quoted text>
After death there is nothing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 8 min Qu_innocence 608,207
How to get Free Steam games, Steam Wallet codes... (Dec '13) 13 min alex 92
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 15 min RiccardoFire 39,610
Should we adopt the paleo diet? 15 min diettips 3
skype sex id luv to try it (Aug '13) 21 min armanm785 98
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 22 min Just Think 574,088
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 25 min onemale 268,888
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Mar '14) 4 hr coco 204
Straight guys: Would you ever have intercourse ... (Jul '12) 15 hr yes lover 162
More from around the web