“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#703160 Mar 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if you're right and I don't care.
I believe in Jesus.
Which one?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#703161 Mar 17, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish you well.
<quoted text>
I liked it.
Perhaps you lacked the background in manned space travel to appreciate it. Knowing about the history of EVAs (space walks) and of the repairs and upgrades of the Hubble Space telescope made the movie richer.
A certain amount of knowledge of movie making and an esthetic eye help as well. The visuals were breathtaking.
Also, you needed a certain amount of empathy to experience the drama.
I saw no religious implications there. But then to a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
I wish you well also.

Yes, the special effects were amazing. But special-effects alone don't make a good movie. It was boring, drawnout and unbelievable in a realistic way. I know plenty about manned space travel, spacewalks and upgrades to the Hubble space telescope. But it was still a crappy and boring movie.

You really didn't see the religious implications? The end, when Bullock was giving up she turned off the oxygen and said that nobody would pray for her soul. She said she didn't know how to pray, that no one ever taught her how. Just then, Clooney appeared to her in a vision. That was God answering her prayer, giving her insight on how to help herself, use the landing tickets for thrust.

She says: "But the thing is, it's that I'm still scared. I'm really scared. Nobody will mourn for me, no one will pray for my soul. Will you mourn for me? Will you say a prayer for me? Or is it too late? Ryan Stone: I mean, I'd say one for myself, but I've never prayed in my life, so. Nobody ever taught me how. Nobody ever taught me how."

Then remember near the end, where she prays again, asking for Clooney to care for her dead daughter and tell her mommy missed her?

How could you miss the religious implications there?!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#703162 Mar 17, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
And he is and decent actor as oppose to chuck norris who isn’t, perhaps this is where you are getting confused
Although I have never met chuck norris, I have met leam neeson and I can assure you that he is a perfectly nice and mild mannered gentleman
And Irish.
you've met him? That'd be awesome.

And yes, I know he's Irish, but that's not where his awesomeness comes from.
tricki

Oley, PA

#703163 Mar 17, 2014
ArAr wrote:
<quoted text>
Objectify these guys:
Publius (or Gaius) Cornelius Tacitus, "the greatest historian" of ancient Rome (55-120 AD)
Titus Flavius Josephus, court historian for Emperor Vespasian (37-97 AD)
Gaius Suetonius Tranquillas, chief secretary of Emperor Hadrian (117-138 AD)
Pliny the Younger, Roman governor of Bithynia in Asia Minor around 112 AD
Lucian, a second century Greek satirist
Mara Bar-Serapion, of Syria, writing between 70 and 200 AD
Acts of Pontius Pilate, reports sent from Pilate to Tiberius,(referred to by Justin Martyr 150 AD)
Here is the link so you can read what each of these sources wrote:
http://www.westarkchurchofchrist.org/library/...
It includes other sources too.
to be fair, exclude every human being who claims to have been transformed by Christ. either she gets paid, is looking for limelight, feels afraid, is a religitarded idiot or is delusional. we know this because amalgam says so and that's good enough for me

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#703164 Mar 17, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
<quoted text>
I see some truth in your statement but I also see some misconceptions. It's true that Muslims are taught to obey without question, and in some locales it is a death sentence for questioning anything.
On the Christian side (being one who converted from agnosticism) I can say that I had a lot of the same misconceptions you have now. I will say that fundamentalist denominations can be very extreme and literal in how they practice their beliefs. Handling rattlesnakes, picketing military funerals, and outlawing high school dances is just NUTS! And they too discourage any serious inquiries. I think this is as dangerous as it is stupid.
Believe it or not, there are progressive denominations that encourage questions, encourage choices, and have serious issues with those who try to control. Not every denomination tries to control their members. That's mostly in fundamentalist churches. Here's an example:
Where I live, there's a church that won't let a person in on Sunday if they're not wearing a tie (if a male) or a dress (if female) and they're not nice about it.
However, the church I attend could care less if I wear jeans and t-shirt (in fact many do just that) and our pastor asks what is more important; how they dress or that they care enough to show up? We don't require people to give money to the offering, and if they do, they can put it in an envelope and write what cause (or charity) they want it to go to, and believe me, that's where it goes.
So it's with respect that I say to you, don't be too quick to think we're all the same. And just because we're not doesn't mean there isn't a God. It just means that humans are always going to disagree about something. Doesn't matter what it is.
Oh my God, that was an amazing post.

<Standing ovation>

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#703165 Mar 17, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> I thought you would've figured out that I was talking about believers, but no doubt, they (RCC) are Wolves In Sheep Clothing. I am one of them with a little common knowledge that I spoke of and Ray Charles could see the RCC are full of themselves and Lies, Not to mention "Confusion" and you being the smart woman that you are, you know what I am referring to..For them (RCC) it has everything to do with the Book, which is obvious by the way the worship of their pagan God Apollo coincides with Christ Mass.. Pagan Worship is tied directly to the RCC.. Ceasar Augustus saw to that in 10 bce...
I really have no idea what you are talking about. They have their version of belief and you have yours. Who is to say who is more wrong?

Note Caesar lived before any sort of christianity even raised it’s ugly head, it is a fallacy (or a direct lie) that he had anything to do with christianity. Caesar was a devotee of Venus who he claimed direct lineage, perhaps also Mars and/or Mithras

Apollo was a roman god who drove the sun across the sky in a fiery chariot. About 2% of Americans still believe the sun is towed across the sky in a chariot, the difference is the driver, these Americans believe it is ridden by the baby jesus.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#703166 Mar 17, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Which one?
Jesus Christ, the Son of God, my Lord and Savior.

That one.
tricki

Oley, PA

#703167 Mar 17, 2014
feces for jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
Still puking about your religions lie of "hell", huh? You've got nothing but empty words. Hell isn't in the bible, dimwit. You're full of feces for jesus; a liar for your faith.
hell isn't in the bible! thank god

got evidence for amalgamation yet, my love?

#703168 Mar 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
you've met him? That'd be awesome.
And yes, I know he's Irish, but that's not where his awesomeness comes from.
He’s just a guy. His “awesomeness” comes from the fact that he is very good at his job
tricki

Oley, PA

#703169 Mar 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my God, that was an amazing post.
<Standing ovation>
"Where I live, there's a church that won't let a person in on Sunday if they're not wearing a tie (if a male) or a dress (if female) and they're not nice about it." casper 2.

name the church krazi witch

she can't and won't

she's a LIAR

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#703170 Mar 17, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =6arlI-z61hUXX
Paul's tenet that women must keep their heads covered with a veil during prayer is quite inconvenient and, for this reason, has either been rationalized away or ignored, although it is no less binding than any other moral law in the New Testament:

"...but any woman who prays or prophecies with her head unveiled dishonors her head.... For if a woman will not veil herself, then we should cut off her hair: but if it be disgraceful for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her wear a veil.... Judge for yourself; is it proper for a woman to pray to God with head uncovered?" (1 Cor. 11:5-13 RSV)

Watch Joyce Meyers, is her head covered? Is she wearing a veil? Does she put one on when she prays to God? No of course not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch...

Just once I would like to find someone claiming to be a Christian who follows biblical teachings.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#703171 Mar 17, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
He’s just a guy. His “awesomeness” comes from the fact that he is very good at his job
I know that.

Geez you have no sense of humor.

Prolly a lousy lay, too.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#703172 Mar 17, 2014
tricki wrote:
<quoted text>
"Where I live, there's a church that won't let a person in on Sunday if they're not wearing a tie (if a male) or a dress (if female) and they're not nice about it." casper 2.
name the church krazi witch
she can't and won't
she's a LIAR
That's no lie, I've been to churches that insist on formal wear when attending. They are usually the uptight and boring churches. The ones I like are the ones that don't care how you dress, what you believe or if you donate to them or not, they're just happy that they can spread the Word to you..

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#703173 Mar 17, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul's tenet that women must keep their heads covered with a veil during prayer is quite inconvenient and, for this reason, has either been rationalized away or ignored, although it is no less binding than any other moral law in the New Testament:
"...but any woman who prays or prophecies with her head unveiled dishonors her head.... For if a woman will not veil herself, then we should cut off her hair: but if it be disgraceful for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her wear a veil.... Judge for yourself; is it proper for a woman to pray to God with head uncovered?" (1 Cor. 11:5-13 RSV)
Watch Joyce Meyers, is her head covered? Is she wearing a veil? Does she put one on when she prays to God? No of course not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =yBy5a9bAc3YXX
Just once I would like to find someone claiming to be a Christian who follows biblical teachings.
Yeah, and if theists had really read the bible and understood the implications, they'd be following the details and constrain ts to the letter. The Yahweh! isn't known for overlooking slackers.

But it's their belief. It can be anything they want.

BTW, here's some Joyce Meyer...

"Everybody is too focused on finding out everything about all things today. People are too focused on dissecting every little bit of knowledge they can find about everything on and outside - this earth - and this isn't good. We need to have some things in life that remain unknown. We call this trust. This is what is called faith , and trust or faith is necessary to know god" -- Joyce Meyer 12-21-2005

#703174 Mar 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that.
Geez you have no sense of humor.
Prolly a lousy lay, too.
I thought we had not long ago agreed that ‘it was up to you’ and it seems that you choose to blow it. So if you can ever manage to get that tiny pecker of yours hard enough to actually use in a woman then one thing is for sure. Miracles can happen.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#703175 Mar 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus Christ, the Son of God, my Lord and Savior.
That one.
Strange, but I somehow expected you'd respond like that. Why is it that you name the one and not the other?

When someone asks you which deity you worship, you more often than not come back with a response similar to: <Ar aR> "...GOD" <==== A generic name for a deity.

Or another response similar to: <Ar aR>"...fuckoff" <====A strange name for a deity.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#703176 Mar 17, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, and if theists had really read the bible and understood the implications, they'd be following the details and constrain ts to the letter. The Yahweh! isn't known for overlooking slackers.
But it's their belief. It can be anything they want.
BTW, here's some Joyce Meyer...
"Everybody is too focused on finding out everything about all things today. People are too focused on dissecting every little bit of knowledge they can find about everything on and outside - this earth - and this isn't good. We need to have some things in life that remain unknown. We call this trust. This is what is called faith , and trust or faith is necessary to know god" -- Joyce Meyer 12-21-2005
Joyce Meyer is a loon and a false teacher. She "teaches" things like; If you don't believe Jesus went to hell, you cannot be saved, and; Jesus stopped being the Son of God. She also thinks she isn't a sinner and has been quoted saying that.

If you wanna find nutty Christian "preacher" quotes, she's your man.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#703177 Mar 17, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought we had not long ago agreed that ‘it was up to you’ and it seems that you choose to blow it. So if you can ever manage to get that tiny pecker of yours hard enough to actually use in a woman then one thing is for sure. Miracles can happen.
Hey, I'm sorry about the "lousy lay" thing. That was out of line and uncalled for.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#703178 Mar 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Notice how the Topix Atheist! readily accepts that King David was real but Jesus is "questionable"?
That's what evidence based thinking does for you.

Do you not recall Darwins Stepchild going from questioning the historicity of David to accepting it when evidence of his existence was presented to him on another thread? I had told himthat I had just accepted the historicity of David based on a link he provided to a NOVA show that he had seen years earlier. He thought that I was mistaken - that David's son Solomon was the earliest figure to have reliable evidentiary support for. I believe it was Aura Mytha who presented links outlining the archeology uncovering David's castle, after which he rewatched the video and posted his gratitude for being updated. From http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Darwins Stepchild wrote: BTW...I watched the "Bible's Buried Secrets" again, and you were correct. I remembered the part where they said that David had been considered mythological, but had forgotten where they said the House of David stele was considered good historical proof of David's existence.

IANS wrote: Thanks again for that link. I knew the part about the Exodus and siege of Canaan being mythology, but the material about the historicity of David and Solomon, and the J E D P documentary hypothesis material was new to me. It's odd that we can establish that ancient figures like David, Solomon, Alexander and Caesar were all historical characters, but this alleged god Jesus still eludes confirmation.

This is how we roll.

You're a faith based thinker, however. Your faith requires Jesus to have actually lived, so you assume that it is fact, and scoff at others who don't accept your paltry supporting evidence as conclusive.
tricki

Oley, PA

#703179 Mar 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's no lie, I've been to churches that insist on formal wear when attending. They are usually the uptight and boring churches. The ones I like are the ones that don't care how you dress, what you believe or if you donate to them or not, they're just happy that they can spread the Word to you..
Name the church Casper. Recheck, you are a dear. Don't interrupt, honey

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 min waaasssuuup 603,536
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 min Chris Clearwater 175,021
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min KayMarie 554,702
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 28 min Rick in Kansas 263,400
Dish Network 1 hr mnb0495 1
Is Incest with mother is most pleasurable of all? (Feb '12) 1 hr fdskjfsdkj344 38
Bull and Boar - an 18th century Welsh tavern. 1 hr Hatti_Hollerand 64
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Feb '14) 3 hr Arun 137

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE