*Then lie for your useless cause.
Onward christian liar!
Gday Luci!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#703108 Mar 17, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
I don't interpret the Genesis story of creation in it's most literal sense. If you don't mind, I'll be glad to go into a little more detail. I have been researching the creation account in Genesis because it doesn't make sense from a cosmological point of view. I think theists and atheists alike make the common mistake of regarding Genesis as a "how-it-happened" account and I think this is wrong to do.
I think the Genesis account is a poetic device that is supposed to tell us "why" we were created and how the concept of original sin has affected our relationship with our Creator. This doesn't mean it's wrong per se. I honestly believe we're mistakenly reading it in the context of one type of genre when it should be read as another type of literature.
Knowing what we do about the expanding universe and the age of rock formations, I don't think atheists or theists are taking every possible variable into account. I know I've mentioned such concepts as Time Dilation and the use of the word Yom in Hebrew language, but up until now I haven't discussed the type of literary genre or how it can be interpreted in that way.
I like the fact that you ask good questions. Makes for good conversation even if we don't agree.
If you are free to take the liberty of deciding which words are literal and which are not, and to interpret those that you choose to call poetic as meaning whatever you like, every reader has a different take on what the bible says, and the words go from being the Word of God to the words of Ghost Writer, Aint, and each individual reader.

You choose to believe that the genesis account is metaphorical because you know some cosmology and geology, and you realize that barring magic, the universe didn't come to pass in six days. I know a little bit about medicine, and can tell you the same thing about resurrection from the dead. I reject that as literally true. If you don't, I'd say that you aren't taking "every possible variable into account."

You might object and say that I've gone too far because you understand the implications of that, but what possible argument could you offer me in rebuttal that a literalist (fundamentalist) couldn't make with you and your poetry model of the creation account?

If we ever have to stand before your god and give an account for why we felt that we had the right to declare any of it poetic and reinterpret it to taste, I'm going to tell him that you led me astray. Is that OK?

Just kidding. You can tell him it was my fault.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#703109 Mar 17, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>Gday Luci!
Hey Rosa!:-)

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#703110 Mar 17, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
True. There are those of us who use the funny-mentalists for entertainment.
I am easily amused, so it doesn't take much for me, from either side. Some of them believe just because some of them have an understanding of the Bible, doesn't mean they have Jesus in their heart. anybody can say they're Christian but act just like the World. What is a He!! Bound Christian? A 21st Century Pharisee!

Fennario

#703111 Mar 17, 2014
You have preconceived ideas that you believe we MUST all hold as true.
You just posted, "If the seven points I discussed aren't upheld as true, then no, they aren't Christians."

Here's the problem for a skeptic like me: You're juggling ideas in what appears to be arbitrary mental gymnastics in the service of a private belief, and then discussing them as if they're objectively true and definitive

"When the philosopher's argument becomes tedious, complicated, and opaque, it is usually a sign that he is attempting to prove as true to the intellect what is plainly false to common sense”- Edward Abbey

Fennario

#703112 Mar 17, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
http://www.soulwinning.info/hell/biblical_evi...
According to God and Jesus Hell is literal no question about it. THEY both speak of ETERNAL DAMNATION IN A LAKE OF FIRE... nothing METAPHORICAL about it!!!
And there you have it - another definitive and objectively true variation through the eyes of another reader.

And none of you has a compelling case against the other, nor authority to declare one another wrong. Just as a Rorschach ink blot shows whatever one happens to see in it, and no answer is more or less right than any other, scripture means whatever the individual reader prefers it to mean, and each one is as correct as the next.

Fennario

#703113 Mar 17, 2014
Susie D wrote:
WE have opinions and we differ, that does not mean we are always right in the way we view things. I am positive if you and I read the EXACT same book, you would have a very different take on it..
There is no right way to take any writing that isn't explicit, precise and literal. What kinds of things fit into that category? Instruction manuals, wills, recipes, road directions, a table of logarithms, census data - not literature, and especially not flowery prose from another age translated from another language..

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#703114 Mar 17, 2014
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
Ghost Writer's an okay guy. I don't agree with him much, but he's an okay guy.
At least he's no nanoanalsac or Susie D' Lusional.
He has some intelligent things to say. And I can respect that one.

BTW Ishtar has risen! They did name Easter after her, you know, and she did return from the Underworld.

Fennario

#703115 Mar 17, 2014
Susie D wrote:
<quoted text> CAn you show me where God uses the word "literal" hell rather than a purification?
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only son so that we will not PERISH...(not got to hell or burn but perish) but have everlasting life...
Now that is literal!!
What do these mean to you?

"But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister,‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says,‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell." — Matthew 5:22

"And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever." - Revelation 20:10

"And if your eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell." — Matthew 18:9

"Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.
Revelation 20:15

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#703116 Mar 17, 2014
the talk wrote:
<quoted text>
Your problem is that you fear God due to Hell's existence. I am not at all in fear of Hell because I'm not going there, instead I'm going to Heaven to be with God.
These facts are why you are incapable of walking away from this thread and enjoy the hate cult that you adore called atheism.
Actually, I still fear the wrath of Inanna. She may send her galla demons after me, to drag me down screaming to the Underworld.

Beside her, your god is a Johnny-come-lately and a pansy-assed wimp.
tricki

Douglassville, PA

#703117 Mar 17, 2014
Make sure to take his words lightly

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#703118 Mar 17, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
And there you have it - another definitive and objectively true variation through the eyes of another reader.
And none of you has a compelling case against the other, nor authority to declare one another wrong. Just as a Rorschach ink blot shows whatever one happens to see in it, and no answer is more or less right than any other, scripture means whatever the individual reader prefers it to mean, and each one is as correct as the next.
True some parts of the Bible are in Metaphors and Parables. Like the Garbage Dump being compared to He!!, which Jesus was obviously speaking in a way that the sheep herders would understand, but they're parts where no Metaphor or Parable is used to describe He!!, it is talked of for just what it is and what to expect when the Judgement is rendered sending you there, like in that link I shared with them that Doc shared, it is plain as day what to expect when "cast down" into the Lake Of Fire and Eternal Damnation.. There is noway one can say that he/she believes in Jesus and the resurrection and that he Ascended into Heaven and not believe that he descended into He!! to preach the word. If they believed he did descend into He!! to preach the word, then say they believe in Heaven as described but not He!!, then they are more fked up than I and that, is really saying something!
tricki

Douglassville, PA

#703119 Mar 17, 2014
That's the key to genuine understanding of the reality of his life. Rely on scholars like DM Murdock. She's the real deal. Lots of integrity and very bright.

Fennario

#703120 Mar 17, 2014
Mary was descended from King David. Joseph was also descended from King David but was Jesus' father by ADOPTION. In Hebrew culture this carried just as much weight as biological fatherhood. Our own modern attitudes towards adoption don't count.
What Jew in the first century wasn't a descendent of David? David, who lived about 1000 years before Jesus - over fifty generations - had at least seven wives < http://www.biblenews1.com/garden/David1.html >, a harem of concubines and nobody knows how many children, of which one was Solomon, who had about 700 wives and 300 concubines (1 Kings 11:1-3). After than many generation and that much polygamy, the miracle would be that Jesus wasn't a descendent of David. You get the feeling that the prophet didn't expect so many generations to pass before the appearance of the messiah.
tricki

Douglassville, PA

#703121 Mar 17, 2014
He didn't come.
He wasn't God.
It was all a joke.
It was all for money
Nobody was killed for believing in Jesus
Henry, Murray and Larry made up the whole thing for laughs
There is nothing true about any of it
Laugh at it
No blood
No courage
No moral teacher

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#703122 Mar 17, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> I am easily amused, so it doesn't take much for me, from either side. Some of them believe just because some of them have an understanding of the Bible, doesn't mean they have Jesus in their heart. anybody can say they're Christian but act just like the World. What is a He!! Bound Christian? A 21st Century Pharisee!
Good shot!
tricki

Douglassville, PA

#703123 Mar 17, 2014
Pure B.S.
Nonsense
Forged
It was so ridiculous, others plotted to make it even more ridiculous
The scraps of paper with some words on them that are supposed to be scripture were put there by the pope and his pals
tricki

Douglassville, PA

#703124 Mar 17, 2014
Ain't no God cause ain't no proof of nothin. Nothin. See? Duh. God, what's god? My brain!

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#703125 Mar 17, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, I still fear the wrath of Inanna. She may send her galla demons after me, to drag me down screaming to the Underworld.

Beside her, your god is a Johnny-come-lately and a pansy-assed wimp.
Heh.
tricki

Douglassville, PA

#703126 Mar 17, 2014
No truth to their buybull. The three dudes who wrote it made trillions

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min democrat punisher 2,794
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 16 min Ned Wreck 119,273
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Michael 679,314
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Holy Child Jehowa... 46,219
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 2 hr Tony 6,277
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 2 hr Classic 4,115
What Your Church Won't Tell You by Dave and Gar... (Apr '10) 3 hr Holy Child Jehowa... 33,218
More from around the web