Prove there's a god.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#702970 Mar 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
They're not just atheists, they are anti-Christians.
I am anti-Christianity (I also object to Islam), not anti-Christian. Not only do I mean you no ill will, I'm actually on your side, although I don't expect you to agree, and I doubt that I can help you.

I think that religious faith is a bad idea - a mistake, but a mistake that is your right to make. I think that it would be an even bigger mistake to try to force you to abandon belief using government. Thus my anti-Christianity is limited to political Christianity and Christianity for minors. I think it should be kept out of government and that children should be sheltered from it until they are eighteen. If religion still appeals to them at that age, they can go for it. If they can only captured when young, you shouldn't have them as adults - just like smoking.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
It's funny though, you will sometimes see them quote historical people like Aristotle, Philo, Socrates, Julius Caesar, Napoleon, Alexander the great, etc. none of which have any birth records or can be proven to exist, either. The anti-Christians fully accept that these people in history actually existed, the only one they focus on is Jesus Christ, because they want to undermine Christianity.
Christianity is undermining itself just by being what it is in the age of modern telecommunications, where it cannot hide.

As far as quoting ancients, I don't care if they ever lived or not (did you think Napoleon was an ancient?). I like their words, and don't really care what the name of their author was. And if I liked any of Jesus' words, I would quote them as well.

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

“An Ye Harm None, Do As Ye Will”

Since: May 10

I Am A Religion-Free Zone

#702971 Mar 16, 2014
Ghost Writer 2 You wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if you mean smaller details, yes that's true. On major doctrines, most Christians worldwide agree on the basics. The fact that people disagree on smaller issues doesn't invalidate what they do agree on. If you're going to say that small things do matter, then what is your basis for saying so? So that you can say that even bigger matters in the Bible would be more distorted? Let me preemptively pee in your soup:
Minor issues of disagreement regarding Scripture do not invalidate basic core doctrines that are upheld by a majority.
Which came first, Alcides of Thebes, the divine redeemer who was born of a virgin around 1200BCE?

Or Hermes of Egypt/Greece, who was born of the Virgin Maia and called “the Logos” because he was the Messenger or Words of the Heavenly Father, Zeus?

Or Hercules the Son of God (Zeus) and his Twelve Labors, of Greek mythological fame....

...or Jesus and his Twelve Disciples?

Or was all that just some sort of satanic trick?

Fennario

#702972 Mar 16, 2014
Henry wrote:
You are absolutely right!
Thanks, Henry.

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#702973 Mar 16, 2014
Scrooge wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really take great personal pride in demonstrating that you have the intellectual capacity of a mentally retarded child in an international forum?
The Christ by John E. Remsberg:
http://www.amazon.com/Christ-Critical-Analysi...
Was there a Christ who was born of a virgin; worked miracles among the masses; and was tried, crucified, and later resurrected to ascend to heaven? In this nineteenth-century classic of freethought literature, John E. Remsberg reveals that while there may be some historical evidence for the existence of a man named Jesus, the supernatural "Christ" of Christian dogma could not have existed.
Using the tools of textual criticism and applying rigorous logical analysis, Remsberg carefully examines the New Testament Scriptures, the writings of well-known pagan authors from the time of Jesus as well as the works of later Christian apologists, he finds precious little evidence for the supposed miracles worked by Jesus, or even for his birth, ministry, crucifixion, and resurrection. His conclusion is that the divine, miracle-working Christ of traditional Christianity is a myth, which was developed over many centuries by a community of believers and was heavily influenced by mythic elements of Greek, Roman, and eastern religions. Remsberg concludes this interesting and thorough study with a detailed discussion of the various ancient sources from which the Christ myth evolved. The Christ is both an excellent introduction to biblical criticism and a valuable contribution to freethought.
Religion is a business, always was always will be. Jesus had to perform miracles because the Roman gods of the day were capable of. The leaders of christianity had to persaude non believers of christ that he was just as capable at their roman gods

Hence
Bacchus could make wine out of water, so could Jesus
Neptune could walk on water, so could Jesus
Zeus/Jupiter could raise people from the dead, so could Jesus
The pagan festival of Saturnialia was co-opted to the birth of Jesus
MIRTHRAS was also born on Christmas
easter is borrowed from the Egyptian god Horus
Basically christianity is just a rehash of previous religions, it should be sued for plagiarism

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#702974 Mar 16, 2014
<quoted text>
And your point is what?

From looking at just the birth accounts several conclusions can be reached, all of which will be further reinforced by examining other parts of the New Testament:

1. The gospel writers contradict each other.

2. The gospel writers rewrote history when it suited their purposes.

3. The gospels were extensively edited to accommodate the evolving dogma of the church.

4. The gospel writers misused the Old Testament to provide prophecies for Jesus to fulfill.

From the birth accounts alone, it is obvious that in no way can the New Testament be considered "the inerrant Word of God," or even "the Word of God, inerrant regarding matters important to faith and practice."

Fennario

#702975 Mar 16, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
As if infinity was simply "intuited" by the men of ancient times who couldn't possibly "know" that the universe was bigger than what they could see with the naked eye. I doubt cellular memory could account for the concept, nor even the simply ability of abstract thought. Your arguments still fail simply on the fact that they are based in bigotry, not rationality.
I was recently inventorying damaged theists. Nice to have you back. It's instructive to see the fruits of faith lined up and posting like this - so much damaged goods.

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

#702976 Mar 16, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
MINOR disagreements???
LOL
There are Christians who can't even agree if there is a Hell or not - is that minor?
<quoted text>
Well it's true that some disagree on that, but that also requires knowing what the definition of hell might be. To fundamentalists, it's a literal location with flames and demons. To moderates and progressives it's a place of eternal separation from God in a state of eternal consciousness.(This is what I believe) And some liberals believe it's metaphorical or that it's more like purgatory. Bu I'll put the issue of hell aside because I'm not going to quibble down a rabbit trail introduced into the dialogue to deflect away from the main point.
In other words, you just don't really want to address it because you have no answer. We understand.

But keep this in mind; whether hell is literal or not, the main foundation of your religion is still fear. Fear of separation, fear of abandonment, fear of burning forever....it's all about fear.

And without the fear, your god isn't needed.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#702977 Mar 16, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I expect the message from a deity to be timeless. If you have to explain why the message is being misunderstood today by invoking naturalistic processes due to language and worldviews evolving, then you're talking about the words of men.
<quoted text>
The Internet is not a source. It is a medium. The "Jesus Mythers" are in the world, some lecturing, some writing books, and probably all of prominent ones represented on the Internet.
The issue of Jesus' historicity is only of academic or historical interest to unbelievers. It is an interesting topic, but it really doesn't matter beyond that whether Jesus actually existed if he wasn't also a god. It doesn't matter if or what he preached if it wasn't an accurate metaphysics. And it doesn't matter if he was crucified if he wasn't also revivified.
I see where your pathetic ego would rather delete an entire thread than let the posters here see where I trounced your crippled "logic".

You are a sad, petty, little man.

Fennario

#702978 Mar 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What church taught you about eternal damnation?
The Christian church.

Fennario

#702982 Mar 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
There is evidence of Jesus' existence, there are mountains of evidence. You simply chose to ignore it. But hey, blinders work on horses too. http://lmgtfy.com/...
I don't ignore the evidence. I just find it insufficient to eliminate reasonable doubt. There remains reasonable doubt that the story of the Jesus of the New Testament represents the life of a single actual person.

But it's a non-issue for me. I don't care if zero, one or several men were the basis of the gospels.

Fennario

#702984 Mar 16, 2014
Henry wrote:
Any religions are myths nothing else.
The religious period in human history will be remembered as the phase that connected the time when man was first able to wonder about where the universe came from, how it works, and what was his place is in it, with the time when he found satisfactory answers.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#702987 Mar 16, 2014
Scrooge wrote:
<quoted text>
My equally groundbreaking sequel details all of the scientific evidence in support of life after death.
Chapter 1:{This page intentionally left blank}
The End
Both of my historic books should be required reading in the public schools until every child understands the absurdity of supernatural deities and places.
Well again, you've out done your self. Simple but straight to the point. I commend you and want to be the first to congratulate you on outstanding pin man ship..Groundbreaking and riveting says topix publishers!
Scrooge

Scottsdale, AZ

#702990 Mar 16, 2014
Karma is a_______ wrote:
Religion is a business, always was always will be. Jesus had to perform miracles because the Roman gods of the day were capable of. The leaders of christianity had to persaude non believers of christ that he was just as capable at their roman gods
Hence
Basically christianity is just a rehash of previous religions, it should be sued for plagiarism
Christianity is a derivative religious cult with very little originality and the bible is a mostly plagiarized work of fiction.
Scrooge

Scottsdale, AZ

#702992 Mar 16, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
Well again, you've out done your self. Simple but straight to the point. I commend you and want to be the first to congratulate you on outstanding pin man ship..Groundbreaking and riveting says topix publishers!
I thought you'd enjoy my must-read sequel!
tricki

Douglassville, PA

#702993 Mar 16, 2014
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
Hence
true. thank you. jesus is said to have millions

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

#702994 Mar 16, 2014
the talk wrote:
<quoted text>
Your problem is that you fear God due to Hell's existence. I am not at all in fear of Hell because I'm not going there, instead I'm going to Heaven to be with God.
These facts are why you are incapable of walking away from this thread and enjoy the hate cult that you adore called atheism.
HE IS RISEN!!

HE IS RISEN!!

HE IS RISEN!!

http://media.photobucket.com/user/charminuser... [term]=zombie&filters[prim ary]=images&filters[featur ed%5Fmedia]=1304&sort=1 &o=33#/user/inlucevive/med ia/zombie.png.html?filters%5Bt erm%5D=zombie&filters%5Bpr imary%5D=images&filters%5B featured_media%5D=1304&sor t=1&o=34&_suid=1395016 73290707854958777380853

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#702995 Mar 16, 2014
Scrooge wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you'd enjoy my must-read sequel!
Yes, it's a must read and I'd recommend it for any enthusiast of knowledge and truth..

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

#702996 Mar 16, 2014
Let's see if it works this time

http://media.photobucket.com/user/charminuser... [term]=zombie&filters[prim ary]=images&filters[featur ed%5Fmedia]=1304&sort=1 &o=33#/user/inlucevive/med ia/zombie.png.html?filters%5Bt erm%5D=zombie&filters%5Bpr imary%5D=images&filters%5B featured_media%5D=1304&sor t=1&o=34&_suid=1395016 73290707854958777380853

And it's such a *cute* little animation, too!

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

#703000 Mar 16, 2014
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, the answer was more than sufficient - it was exactly what I expected.
In other words - Christians themselves can't even agree on what the bible really means versus what it might mean versus blah blah blah.
<quoted text>
That none of you christians can agree on it, yet all of you cristians expect the rest of us to believe it.
the talk wrote:
<quoted text>
You are such an ugly demented person.
Translation: "She's right, I can't refute her, so I'll just hate her instead."

“Faith = Trust”

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#703001 Mar 16, 2014
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
But keep this in mind; whether hell is literal or not, the main foundation of your religion is still fear. Fear of separation, fear of abandonment, fear of burning forever....it's all about fear.
And without the fear, your god isn't needed.
This is a rabbit trail. Instead of staying on point, you now want to address fear. If you can keep me jumping around you can keep me on the defensive. No such luck pretty lady, but nice try.:)

Back to the main point that 'Just Think' raised, and THEN I'll address the fear issue.

Just because people within a group (Christianity, Democrats, NFL fans, etc.) disagree about specific issues, this in no way renders the entire core concepts they adhere to and cherish as false.

As long as Christians believe the following about Jesus;

1) Virgin conception by the Holy Spirit (process by which it happened doesn't matter)
2) Descended from King David (A real historic figure in Israeli history)
3) Three year ministry (as described in gospel accounts)
4) Miraculous deeds (regardless of bias, even enemies conceded He did great things)
5) Roman crucifixion (as foretold by at least three OT prophets)
6) Resurrection (which no Jew would write about and expect to be taken seriously)
7) Ascension as Living Son of God.(witnessed by multiple persons)

These are essential core doctrinal beliefs that the majority of the world's Christians hold as true and everything else is minor.

Now onto the whole fear subject.

What makes you think it's based upon fear?

That would be a piss poor way to promote anything in my opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is the most forbidden sex you have had ? (Nov '16) 2 hr StefH 10
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 hr Maria 26,450
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr PadMark 685,771
Truth About The Term: "White Nationalists" 5 hr Johnny 12
Why it's time for Donald Trump to RESIGN...in d... 5 hr Johnny 31
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 5 hr Jake999 6,449
David Duke: "We're going to take our country ba... 6 hr Johnny 70
More from around the web