Prove there's a god.
Ghost Writer

Rome, NY

#701682 Mar 12, 2014
wilderide wrote:
What perspective are you suggesting?

Just a different one than what you currently have. There are different ways of looking at this issue.
wilderide wrote:
Again, an omnipotent deity has infinite options, and thus anything would be possible. Most obviously, God could have chosen not to introduce the concept of sin, and/or could have chosen not to demand a human sacrifice of itself to appease itself.
Wouldn't the concept of "sin" be a product of free will? A person can choose to do either right or wrong. The act of choosing indicates free will doesn't it?

If the consequence for sin was (and is) death, which is basically separation from God, then wouldn't it be loving of God to find a way for humankind to come back into His presence? And if God's son Jesus had the same supernatural powers as God, then it's not a human sacrifice is it? For the sake of argument, let's suppose that God created all life. It doesn't matter how it was done or how long it took. So let's not quibble over that. If God really did create all life, and if His son had the same supernatural powers as God, then isn't it reasonable to conclude that Jesus could in fact raise Himself back to life through some kind of regeneration of cells?

Is the only reason that you view it as a "human sacrifice" is because you and I can't do that kind of thing?

“ChristianityIs AMental Disease”

Since: May 10

And The Cure Is Education

#701683 Mar 12, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>*sigh*
That comes from the mantle, you quarter-wit,not the core. Much less the inner core.
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah, i guess it can come from the mantle too, but you don't know the Creator like i do, and trust me, you don't want any part of that lake of fire bubbling away down there!
You've obviously suffered a mini-stroke, or most likely from a series of them, resulting in your dementia.

I like to think *I* had something to do with that.

You blew a fuse. You had a brain fart.(Oh, no, wait; it couldn't be a brain fart, because you'd have to have a brain first.) You've gone off the rez.

You're insane.

Fuck off.
huytra

Pittsburgh, PA

#701684 Mar 12, 2014

God is Dead-Black sabbath

#701685 Mar 12, 2014
eternalrock wrote:
I don't know who is who. What race is in control. Who is evil who is not.
Just posting stuff for fun.
Nawton wrote:
<quoted text>
Putin----BAD
Obama----GOOD
Obama---SPINELESS

That's why Putin got away with this crap.
Ghost Writer

Rome, NY

#701686 Mar 12, 2014
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
It was the Romans' most common instrument for torture and execution. Even *you* know that according to your own christian mythology, jesus wasn't the only person to be crucified.
Oh no. Romans crucified anyone who wasn't a Roman citizen and who got in their way. It wasn't for torture. It was for torturous execution. The purpose of the cross was to kill as slowly and as painfully as possible. During the Jewish revolt against Rome in
66 A.D.-70 A.D. the Romans crucified so many people that they ran out of wood and had to travel ten miles out of Jerusalem to find more wood. Crucifixions in the Circus Maximus, the Emperor's gardens, and the Roman Colosseum were popular during the reigns of Caligula, Nero and Vespian. It was a bloodthirsty time in Roman history.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#701687 Mar 12, 2014

#701688 Mar 12, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The crucifix isn't a torture device.
wilderide wrote:
LOL! Of course it was. As I've said before, if Jesus had been born in the last century you'd see his followers going around with little gold electric chairs around their necks.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The electric chair isn't a torture device either.
The crucifix is as much a torture device as a guillotine or an electric chair.
There's a difference between a torture device and an execution device.
Except for when you want to torture someone to death.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Based on your comments about this, you're totally ignorant of the symbolism of the cross to Christians.
The christians don't know what they're proclaiming when they wear a crucifix.

Why not wear a little olive branch pin, or a dove pin?

Why a device for torture and execution?

#701689 Mar 12, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know that you can 'google' these things and you can find out just about anything?
You do know this.....don't you?
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
the only so-called "scientists" who could possibly know for sure what the earth's core is made of, might have found out by now, but they can't come back to talk about it!
You do realize, don't you, that you've evolved from demented to totally stark raving mad?
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text> it's funny how all the 'science' books used in school in my day had depictions of the earth's core as molten lava!
So what? Science progresses, and learns new things and throws out the old. How long ago was that? I'm betting you didn't even *go* to school.
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>the same nerds who worship 'scientists'
No one worships scientists, you moron; even *you* know that.

#701690 Mar 12, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Question: do you think your response is an example of Christ-like behavior?
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
answer in the form of a question: do you think that hitler would have gotten as far as he did if the Christians in germany wouldn't have been such limp-wristed lutherans???
Attn Wilderide:

This is Shorty's idea of christ-like behavior:
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text> it ain't my philosphies that i wanna shove down your throat, hon;-)
I'll bet waaasssuuup fantasizes about sodomizing 11-year-old girls. After all, his "jesus" forgives him.

#701691 Mar 12, 2014
wilderide wrote:
Semantics. Either way, it's a pretty gruesome symbol to have representing something that wants to view itself as a moral code.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The Christian cross is a symbol of love and sacrifice, not a symbol of death.
The cross was used for centuries as an instrument for torture and execution by the ancient Romans.

Why the hell would christians adopt is as their symbol?
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#701692 Mar 12, 2014
I've read the Ehrman-Carrier exchange. I'm not inclined to take the time to read what Acharya, Zindler or Wells have to say since none of them are Biblical scholars. ben benstanhope.com

#701693 Mar 12, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Noah is out March 28th. You gonna go see it?
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
HaahahaaHaa ...hold on, you wanna know.... HAHAHAHAA ...lemme get this right, hahahh, you're asking..hAHAHH ... "gonna go see it" hahaaaHAHAHAHA whew...gimme just a sec hahahhhahh HaahahaaHaa ...hold on, you wanna know.... HAHAHAHAA ...lemme get this right, hahahh, you're asking..hAHAHH ... "gonna go see it" hahaaaHAHAHAHA .... HaahahaaHaa ...hold on, you wanna know.... HAHAHAHAA ...lemme get this right, hahahh, you're asking..hAHAHH ... "gonna go see it" hahaaaHAHAHAHA whew...gimme just a sec hahahhhahh HaahahaaHaa ...hold on, you wanna know.... HAHAHAHAA ...lemme get this right, hahahh, you're asking..hAHAHH ... "gonna go see it" hahaaaHAHAHAHA......hold on, you wanna know.... HAHAHAHAA ...lemme get this right, hahahh, you're asking..hAHAHH ... "gonna see it" hahaaaHAHAHAHA whew...gimme just a sec hahahhhahh HaahahaaHaa ...hold on, you wanna know.... HAHAHAHAA ...lemme get this right, hahahh, you're asking..hAHAHH ... "gonna go see it" hahaaaHAHAHAHA.....whew, I'm okay now.
No.
I'll be watching "Cosmos." But as Arr Arr pointed out,'That's just a TV show.' He's gonna get a dose of "reality" at his local AMC Movieplex.
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#701694 Mar 12, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>*sigh*
That comes from the mantle, you quarter-wit,not the core. Much less the inner core.
<quoted text>
You've obviously suffered a mini-stroke, or most likely from a series of them, resulting in your dementia.
I like to think *I* had something to do with that.
You blew a fuse. You had a brain fart.(Oh, no, wait; it couldn't be a brain fart, because you'd have to have a brain first.) You've gone off the rez.
You're insane.
Fuck off.
sound a little like amalgam
Ghost Writer

Rome, NY

#701695 Mar 12, 2014
wilderide wrote:
Semantics. Either way, it's a pretty gruesome symbol to have representing something that wants to view itself as a moral code.
<quoted text>
The cross was used for centuries as an instrument for torture and execution by the ancient Romans.
I answered that one Kaitlin. Here's the link:

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...

It's what I believe to be true and if you stop to think about it, of all the possible explanations, I think it's the one with the best chance of making sense. I try to give questions careful thought and really reason through them. Even if you disagree with me,(which is fine by me) I think I did fairly well. My area of expertise is history after all.:)

#701696 Mar 12, 2014
No, it's confirmed by research, verifiable physical evidence, and scientific consensus.
<quoted text>
Read it again, please: "No, it's confirmed by research, verifiable physical evidence, and scientific consensus."
The fossil record proves evolution. Science studies the fossil record. Therefore, science has proven evoluion.
Why do you christians *hate* the idea of being part of nature? Do you believe you're better than nature?
Ghost Writer wrote:
<quoted text>
I can only speak for myself my dear Kaitlin. I love being part of nature. I believe that we're all a part of nature, but because we're created in the image (spiritual image) of God, that we also stand apart from nature because of that spirituality.
And that is why I'm not a christian. And you just contradicted yourself, by declaring yourself "a part of nature, but.....apart from nature." You can't have it both ways, amigo.

In your religion, nature and god are separate; in mine, they are one.
Ghost Writer wrote:
<quoted text> We're the highest part of nature and we're the reason that the rest of nature exists, meaning that the rest of nature was created for our benefit.
There's a word for that: anthropocentrism. It's the same kind of "rationale" used to claim that Earth was the center of the universe, and is still used to claim that mankind is the center of all life on Earth. Both beliefs are flat-assed *wrong,* and we can see the results of it. I am not aware of *one christian environmental organization.* Not one.
Ghost Writer wrote:
<quoted text> We're supposed to live in harmony with it. We're supposed to cherish it and do our best to preserve it.
Yet the vast majority of christians don't act like it, because they've always got their eyes on the "heaven" prize. The Earth is just "temporary." And they're perfectly happy f*cking it up and leaving it behind for people like me. They (christians) make the mess, we (pagans) gotta clean it up.
tricki

Birdsboro, PA

#701697 Mar 12, 2014
The tongues of fire lick the flames around your neck. The screaming is unbearable. Coughing and wheezing, weeping, pleading, leading no where

Ahh, but tonight my love, you were ravishing

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#701698 Mar 12, 2014
I will claim to speak for all atheists, agnostics, and non-believers and state that we don't care what you believe when it comes to your religion. If you want to run around in 'magic' underwear and throw baptismal water around while babbling incoherently about an invisible spirit in the sky....we just don't care. Seriously, we could care less.

However we DO care when we are told we also have to wear 'magic' underwear, recite the same mantras, adhere to the same dogma, ingest the same orthodoxy and indoctrinate our children in the above mentioned crap....or, we are somehow evil and shameful heathens.
Yeah, that really makes us care.....

We are seriously pissed that you keep trying to insert your insane god into our public schools and that you or your church teach YOUR children to bully and terrorize any who disagree.

So this is really a 'war' on proselytizing and trying to change schools and our American culture of inclusiveness. We are only requesting you stay out of public schools, quit trying to make America an exclusively 'Christian Nation', and stay out of our face with your weird beliefs.

Not a war on Christianity....just a hard request for you Christians to police your own peoples actions. You know, like follow the constitution and keep religion out of all things public.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#701699 Mar 12, 2014
Ghost Writer wrote:
<quoted text>
I can only speak for myself my dear Kaitlin. I love being part of nature. I believe that we're all a part of nature, but because we're created in the image (spiritual image) of God, that we also stand apart from nature because of that spirituality. We're the highest part of nature and we're the reason that the rest of nature exists, meaning that the rest of nature was created for our benefit. We're supposed to live in harmony with it. We're supposed to cherish it and do our best to preserve it.
You write:
"We're the highest part of nature and we're the reason that the rest of nature exists, meaning that the rest of nature was created for our benefit."

There are literally trillions of stars and planets in our universe, a universe that is billions of light years across, and billions of years old.

It is the very height of human hubris to believe that it was all made for US.

“The Edge”

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#701701 Mar 12, 2014
Ghost Writer wrote:
<quoted text>
I answered that one Kaitlin. Here's the link:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
It's what I believe to be true and if you stop to think about it, of all the possible explanations, I think it's the one with the best chance of making sense. I try to give questions careful thought and really reason through them. Even if you disagree with me,(which is fine by me) I think I did fairly well. My area of expertise is history after all.:)
This is all pretty good fantasy, but the cross was put forth by Constantine after he assumed power and created the church state and Christianity as the national religion he held the cross banners for the New Roman Armies that adopted it some 300 years after the events you speak of. There were crosses before associated with the Christian faith but they looked different than the cross that is used today, here's the story.

"He does not know it yet, but that prayer will change the course of Christian history as well as of western civilization. Later he will tell his friend Bishop Eusebius the incredible story of that hour. When Eusebius reports it in his history, he admits it is hard to believe.

What happens that is so hard to believe? Constantine suddenly sees a bright cross of light emblazoned against the noonday sky and upon it the inscription:“In hoc signo vinces”—“In this Sign Conquer.”

It brings Constantine the assurance he needs. He accepts this as the answer to his prayer and orders his soldiers to inscribe crosses on their shields. Encouraged by his vision in the heavens, he hurls his troops against his rival Maxentius at Rome’s Milvian Bridge. Surprisingly, Constantine is victorious. Maxentius is among those who drown in the Tiber.

Afterward Constantine does not forget to whom he owes his victory. For close to two hundred and fifty years, since AD 64 when Nero initiated violence against it, the Christian church has been a persecuted minority in Roman lands. Only a few years earlier, between 303 and 311, it suffered through Diocletian’s savage “Great Persecution.” Now Constantine issues orders that the Christian church is to be tolerated just as other religions are. Although he does not make Christianity the official religion of the empire, Constantine bestows favor on it, builds places of worship for Christians, and presides over the first general church council. He becomes the first emperor to embrace Christianity and will be baptized on his death bed—waiting so late for fear his duties as emperor might cause him to sin after he receives the solemn rite, blotting out its efficacy."

https://www.christianhistoryinstitute.org/inc...

Here is a famous painting by Raphael of Constantine's vision.

http://roxanaarama.com/wp-content/uploads/201...

More proof

http://roxanaarama.com/2013/04/11/constantine...

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#701702 Mar 12, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
t's been used to terrorize people all over the world.

" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impalement" ;

The ancient Mayans used it as a punishment for unfaithful wives. Too bad they were hypocritical misogynists even back then.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 11 min Passing thru 8,037
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 21 min June VanDerMark 603,302
Ruthlessly GREEDY New Yorkers earned 9-11 25 min Critical Eye 15
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Pegasus 272,879
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 41,138
anyone got cheap cigarettes for sale? (Mar '12) 2 hr David96_ 15
Golden Virginia and Amber leaf wanted 2 hr David96_ 1
The Christian Atheist debate 4 hr MrAnderson9 3,845
is it wrong i like to wear womens underwear (Nov '12) Sat i fkedurBeezyanally 279
More from around the web