Prove there's a god.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#699326 Mar 5, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> It's only myth to us. Who started Canaan? The Oldest and Most Important text of all Time would be the Sumerian Text. They spoke of Beings/Gods! I don't think, can just Dismiss that as some crazy Delusion! I was looking over that Sumerian Kings List, Wow! That is Documented and Powerful stuff! Laid Right at a Mans Doorstep! From that time forward, either the Christian God or the God of Ancient Sumerian, or both( Good, Evil) was probably every One God that was handed down, only Renamed in each Culture. With the Sumerian Text being the Oldest Known Writing, there is no other way it could be..At least til an Older Writing is Found and that is Unlikely..
Then you've got Hindu deities, Aboriginal Australian beliefs, Chinese folk religion, North and South American Aboriginal beliefs, African deities etc...

To assume all deity beliefs/mythologies come from an singular and original source or story isn't being realistic. Regionally, some may borrow from others, and then use certain aspects from the preexisting mythologies in crafting their own, but to think they >all< spring from an original story is pushing the limit.

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

“An Ye Harm None, Do As Ye Will”

Since: May 10

I Am A Religion-Free Zone

#699327 Mar 5, 2014
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
No scientific data supports it. Not one piece of information known to man proves otherwise.
You lose again.
tricki wrote:
<quoted text>
Every thing supports the reality of god
Where's your evidence?

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

#699328 Mar 5, 2014
tricki wrote:
<quoted text>
His sister
Who was eve?
Made from him, Adam.
Che cazzo?

Who was *Cain's* wife? The buybull doesn't say. All you christians keep dodging that simple question, because NONE OF YOU CAN ANSWER IT.

So you make up more bullshit and lies. Cain's "sister" was his wife? WHERE DID SHE COME FROM??

Adam + Eve = Two people

Adam + Eve + Abel + Cain = Four people

Cain kills Abel: 4-1=3---Adam, Eve, Cain. Then Cain "went off into the wilderness with his wife."

Where did Cain's "wife" come from?

Just admit you have no answer, and that the buybull is crap.

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

#699329 Mar 5, 2014
tricki wrote:
<quoted text>
Every thing supports the reality of god
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
NOTHING supports the reality of god.
And *that* is what pisses off those radical fundies. They hate us because we ask questions they can't answer.
Ghost Writer

Rome, NY

#699330 Mar 5, 2014
CLIPPED FOR BREVITY
It aint necessarily so wrote:
If you are getting comfort from faith, it's not reason and evidence that you are experiencing. They're two different things. I suspect that what you are experiencing is a reduction of some kind of cognitive dissonance. Maybe you find doubt unnerving. Psychologists call that trait a high need for closure. If that's you, faith gives you that. It resolves doubt. God did it.
Or maybe the tension was social - expectations that were best met by allowing yourself to believe. There are a few ways that turning yourself over to faith can provide comfort.
But not for me. I'm pretty comfortable in the rational skeptic world.
Some doubt can be very healthy. Not all doubt is bad and not all faith is bad. My search for truth IS based upon an honest search for evidence and reason. The answers I found were more plausible than their overly skeptical counterparts. Your journey took you in your current direction, and mine took me the opposite way. We both searched for truth. While you may prefer to label it as closure or comfort, I am confident that the path I took is the right one because of the evidence. There is rational skepticism and irrational skepticism. There is rational faith (trust) and irrational (blind) faith. We each view the other as the irrational one. So be it. We can't both be right. I'm okay with that.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Thanks, but as I said, the answers I have found are working quite well for me now. My worldview seems to be working for me as a guide to living in the world.
Fair enough. Shalom.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#699331 Mar 5, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
There would have to be a "god" first.
Where the hell do you christians get the idea that atheists "hate" the very thing they don't even believe in?
Do you hate Mickey Mouse?
<quoted text>
She used to be a christian, but is no longer; she used to believe in your god, but she does no longer.
Feel better now after your tiny-fisted tantrum, li'l darlin'?
Now, answer the question: Where the hell do you christians get the idea that atheists "hate" the very thing they don't even believe in?
Can't you answer?
Yes I did feel better after that and sorry about that as well..Just seems that Everyone blames God for something. Very few People actually just admit that they don't wanna Follow Christ. Instead, They just wanna do their thing, just like the Jews that turned their back on him, never to repent only stay in their Denial..

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

#699332 Mar 5, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
And she already had her own country, the land of Nod, and there were all these other hoards of people who were supposed not to kill him because of that mark god put on him?
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> Isn't Nod, the land of wandering? Wasn't Cain the founder of the Canaanites? One of the peoples God commanded to be wiped out?
And where did his wife suddenly appear from? None of you xtians can answer that, and none of you have the honesty or the personal integrity to admit you just don't know.

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

#699333 Mar 5, 2014
Enlightened wrote:
<quoted text>
The sniff test eh? Sounds real scientific.
You probably noticed that no one else is really responding to anything you or I say. It's the beta crowd easing their way out of the conversation as it slowly dawns on the that they don't really want to argue with either one of us.
There's a fatal flaw in your chain of reasoning, Aint.
It fails to account for the unknown.
The things mankind doesn't know outnumber the things he does know by a factor of infinity. We are self-destructive, oxygen-dependent life forms, trapped on our medium-sized planet in the middle of nowhere because we lack the ability to leave it for very long.
We know quite a bit about our immediate surroundings, and we possess a degree of deductive reasoning, which allows us to posit theories about what we can see in the sky if we magnify it a bit.
We can do math. Some of us can do it well enough to apply it to the underlying functionality of our entire space-time continuum.
But let's be frank about our limitations. There are numerous diseases we can't cure. We can't fathom the concepts of infinity or eternity. We are barely able to define cognizance and self-awareness. We can't get along with each other, ever. Our science is not very impressive when you consider the fact that the vast majority of our theories are ultimately disproved. We are patently doomed by the inevitability of exponential population growth. And we really aren't very good at hitting a baseball - most of us would strike out every single time versus major league pitching, even though the math of hitting the ball is quite simple.
We do seem to be making some progress, in some areas, while falling back in other much more important ones.
Yet you would define our tiny sliver of (quite possibly very wrong) knowledge as a prophetic miracle?
Sorry Aint, you lack perspective.
We know nothing. From a cosmic perspective, we ARE nothing. Any single thing you think you "know" could easily be proven hilariously wrong by close of business today. Happens ALL THE TIME. There is no such thing as a "fact" for mankind.
So for you to arbitrarily dismiss the very real possibility that there is a spiritual world that transcends, encompasses, or runs parallel to this one, is merely childish.
"I can't see it, so it doesn't exist. It doesn't fit (insert laughably-primitive-or-ultimat ely-disproved-50-years-from-no w scientific theory here), so it can't be true. I can't relate to it, so it isn't real."
That, if you will admit it or not, is the full sum of your argument against God.
Now, if you want to argue with fundie creationists, go right ahead. If you want to debate the relative merits of ancient fairy tales, you'll find plenty of people right here ITT who will defend them all to the death. These people are called morons. Do you really want to be King of the Morons, Aint?
But if you want to talk about God - the real God, First Cause, the Singularity, coincidences that are too amazing to be coincidences, and the inevitability of Armageddon, I'm your man.
First though, you're going to have to give me something. I'm not gonna waste much time debating some naive sub-intellectual who thinks mankind has got it all figured out with science, or that some tattered collection of ancient manuscripts is somehow the proverbial "Word of God.".
You're better than that, Aint. Let's REALLY talk. Tell me how far you're prepared to go here. Because so far, it looks like you stop at demanding total disbelief of anything that can't be irrefutably proven.
I'm telling you that absolutely nothing can be irrefutably proven. But God can at least be demonstrated by a preponderance of evidence.
Lemme know.
Where's your evidence of your god?

You can't even tell me where Cain's wife dropped in from, let alone offer evidence of your "god."
Scrooge

Scottsdale, AZ

#699334 Mar 5, 2014
Al Garcia wrote:
I've got new for you.
I've got news for you, Al Garcia! You were born free then enslaved by a religious cult. You're so feeble-minded and weak-willed that you have absolutely no desire to be free again. You're a coward, ignoramus and punk living in shame as a willing slave to totally preposterous and thoroughly discredited Christian dogma destined to die in disgrace.

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

#699335 Mar 5, 2014
Enlightened wrote:
<quoted text>
The sniff test eh? Sounds real scientific.
You probably noticed that no one else is really responding to anything you or I say. It's the beta crowd easing their way out of the conversation as it slowly dawns on the that they don't really want to argue with either one of us.
There's a fatal flaw in your chain of reasoning, Aint.
It fails to account for the unknown.
The things mankind doesn't know outnumber the things he does know by a factor of infinity. We are self-destructive, oxygen-dependent life forms, trapped on our medium-sized planet in the middle of nowhere because we lack the ability to leave it for very long.
We know quite a bit about our immediate surroundings, and we possess a degree of deductive reasoning, which allows us to posit theories about what we can see in the sky if we magnify it a bit.
We can do math. Some of us can do it well enough to apply it to the underlying functionality of our entire space-time continuum.
But let's be frank about our limitations. There are numerous diseases we can't cure. We can't fathom the concepts of infinity or eternity. We are barely able to define cognizance and self-awareness. We can't get along with each other, ever. Our science is not very impressive when you consider the fact that the vast majority of our theories are ultimately disproved. We are patently doomed by the inevitability of exponential population growth. And we really aren't very good at hitting a baseball - most of us would strike out every single time versus major league pitching, even though the math of hitting the ball is quite simple.
We do seem to be making some progress, in some areas, while falling back in other much more important ones.
Yet you would define our tiny sliver of (quite possibly very wrong) knowledge as a prophetic miracle?
Sorry Aint, you lack perspective.
We know nothing. From a cosmic perspective, we ARE nothing. Any single thing you think you "know" could easily be proven hilariously wrong by close of business today. Happens ALL THE TIME. There is no such thing as a "fact" for mankind.
So for you to arbitrarily dismiss the very real possibility that there is a spiritual world that transcends, encompasses, or runs parallel to this one, is merely childish.
"I can't see it, so it doesn't exist. It doesn't fit (insert laughably-primitive-or-ultimat ely-disproved-50-years-from-no w scientific theory here), so it can't be true. I can't relate to it, so it isn't real."
That, if you will admit it or not, is the full sum of your argument against God.
Now, if you want to argue with fundie creationists, go right ahead. If you want to debate the relative merits of ancient fairy tales, you'll find plenty of people right here ITT who will defend them all to the death. These people are called morons. Do you really want to be King of the Morons, Aint?
But if you want to talk about God - the real God, First Cause, the Singularity, coincidences that are too amazing to be coincidences, and the inevitability of Armageddon, I'm your man.
First though, you're going to have to give me something. I'm not gonna waste much time debating some naive sub-intellectual who thinks mankind has got it all figured out with science, or that some tattered collection of ancient manuscripts is somehow the proverbial "Word of God.".
You're better than that, Aint. Let's REALLY talk. Tell me how far you're prepared to go here. Because so far, it looks like you stop at demanding total disbelief of anything that can't be irrefutably proven.
I'm telling you that absolutely nothing can be irrefutably proven. But God can at least be demonstrated by a preponderance of evidence.
Lemme know.
Somehow, my query didn't get posted, so I'll ask again: Where's the evidence of your god?

You guys can't even tell me where Cain's wife supposedly dropped in from.m

Location hidden

#699336 Mar 5, 2014
<quoted text>
What you think is of no relevance regarding evolution.
It's not a question of "if," li'l pooter.
My my, you're getting testy. Is the pressure getting to you?
Nope, but if you get down Dirty For Dirty, then We are right there in that Burrow with the Rat, Mole or whatever else went Underground..
Scrooge

Scottsdale, AZ

#699337 Mar 5, 2014
Ghost Writer wrote:
I fixed your statement free of charge.
It would take an extended stay in a mental institution for any chance of you being fixed of your mental illness.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#699338 Mar 5, 2014
Baylor University in Waco, Texas is the largest Baptist University in the world, and has a pretty good science department. I always thought the Baptists were creationists/fundamentalists…

From the Biology Department at Baylor University:
Statement on Evolution

“Evolution, a foundational principle of modern biology, is supported by overwhelming scientific evidence and is accepted by the vast majority of scientists. Because it is fundamental to the understanding of modern biology, the faculty in the Biology Department at Baylor University, Waco, TX, teaches evolution throughout the biology curriculum. We are in accordance with the American Association for Advancement of Science’s statement on evolution. We are a science department, so we do not teach alternative hypotheses or philosophically deduced theories that cannot be tested rigorously.”

http://www.baylor.edu/biology/index.php …
Ghost Writer

Rome, NY

#699339 Mar 5, 2014
<quoted text>
Che cazzo?
Who was *Cain's* wife? The buybull doesn't say. All you christians keep dodging that simple question, because NONE OF YOU CAN ANSWER IT.
So you make up more bullshit and lies. Cain's "sister" was his wife? WHERE DID SHE COME FROM??
Adam + Eve = Two people
Adam + Eve + Abel + Cain = Four people
Cain kills Abel: 4-1=3---Adam, Eve, Cain. Then Cain "went off into the wilderness with his wife."
Where did Cain's "wife" come from?
Just admit you have no answer, and that the buybull is crap.
Oh c'mon Kaitlin. You're wearing this one out my fair lady. We've already told you that the bible doesn't say and doesn't NEED to say. It's only important to you BECAUSE in Genesis the author only mentions Cain and Abel and no names or origins of their spouses. That doesn't mean they didn't have spouses. What it does mean is that the author didn't think it was worth mentioning. Many believe that the author of Genesis was Moses. I can just imagine Moses sitting before a sheepskin preparing to write:

"Hmmmm, I know what to do; I'll mention Cain and his wife but I won't mention where she came from because in about 5,000 years it will drive internet atheists bat shit crazy and they will think they have an argument against the existence of God because I didn't mention it. What a great prank!! LOL!!"

Yeah that's gotta be it.

Well I'll be damned! It worked!! LOL indeed!!:D
Scrooge

Scottsdale, AZ

#699340 Mar 5, 2014
Ghost Writer wrote:
Well said Al Garcia!!
Oh, isn't that cute? One stark raving mad insane lunatic supporting the inane delusions of another when you'd both be better advised to seek the professional help you staggeringly ignorant cowards desperately need.

Location hidden

#699341 Mar 5, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
And she already had her own country, the land of Nod, and there were all these other hoards of people who were supposed not to kill him because of that mark god put on him?
<quoted text>
And where did his wife suddenly appear from? None of you xtians can answer that, and none of you have the honesty or the personal integrity to admit you just don't know.
I don't know how suddenly she appeared, I don't recall seeing in the Bible where it said, she left with him. So, I can say I don't know but I am sure the answer is in there.. Somewhere. The Devil is in the Details ; )

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#699342 Mar 5, 2014
From the Baylor University Geology Department:

“Whether biological evolution occurs has NOT been a matter of scientific debate for more than a century. It is considered a PROVEN fact. The specific mechanisms of biological change over time continue to be a topic of active research, and include mechanisms proposed by Charles Darwin as well as more recently developed ideas based on our growing knowledge of genetics and molecular biology. Using the methods of modern science, our knowledge of the fundamental mechanisms of life has grown enormously since the initial characterization of the role of DNA in reproduction, inheritance and evolution in the mid-1950s.”

http://www.baylor.edu/geology/index.php …

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

#699343 Mar 5, 2014
Enlightened wrote:
<quoted text>
Such anger, Pusherman. Calm yourself. Anger derives from fear, or at least that's what Freud said. Why so afraid of my words? Too close to the truth? The truth will set you free.
On the other hand, Freud also said, "Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility."
As I'm sure you're aware, Freud also posited that fear, not anger, is the opposite of love.
What a tangled web, the human mind.
"Freud also said,'Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.'"

Is that why so many people declare they have jesus in 'em and that they're forgiven for everything?
Ghost Writer

Rome, NY

#699344 Mar 5, 2014
<quoted text>
Somehow, my query didn't get posted, so I'll ask again: Where's the evidence of your god?
You guys can't even tell me where Cain's wife supposedly dropped in from.m
Tell me why it matters. Please. I need a good laugh!:)

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

#699345 Mar 5, 2014
parisqueen1 wrote:
Why do you need proof that there is a God? What's the point? Would you live your life differently if you had indisputable proof? It's like asking whether there is proof that wind exists. If you were struck by lightning and lived, would you believe in God then? I doubt it. If He stood in front of you and said, I am the real deal, you would probably say you were hallucinating or having a flash-back. When you can only think with a logical mind, it is nearly impossible to believe in someone greater than us who could have no beginning or end. People in general scoff at that which they cannot comprehend. You either believe or you don't--it's a choice. I think the universe is too large for anyone to know for sure who or what "God" could possibly be. How does not believing make one's life better? To me, it's pretty depressing to believe that "man" is the best thing this universe has to offer.
Because xtian godbots keep telling us to believe under threat of punishment from an invisible skydaddy.

I need a better reason than that to believe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 8 min NotSoDivineMsM 42,437
Lido Theater, Dallas (Mar '12) 20 min bietxcpl4cpls 547
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 30 min hojo 690,577
servpro sucks (Apr '08) 40 min Susan 37
Do white girls really love filipino men? In wha... (Apr '14) 1 hr Paul McCartney is... 10
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 1 hr Johnny 636
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr onemale 286,678
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 15 hr Johnny 152
More from around the web