Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#689486 Jan 26, 2014
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no substances in cannabis that have physically addictive properties.
If you disagree, then "list" them.
<quoted text>
You are full of sh*t.
Are you *really* trying to tell us that the spasming, the muscle cramps, the vomiting, profuse sweating, the diarrhea are all "psychololgical?"
<quoted text>
Then you are stupider than I thought.
Lol. From webmd:

"How is addiction a disease? Addiction is considered a brain disease because drugs change the brain—in structure and in function. It's true that for most people, the initial decision to take drugs is voluntary. Over time, however, drug abuse can cause changes to the brain that erode a person's self control and ability to make sound decisions, while sending intense impulses to take drugs."

You were saying?

Don't feel too much pressure to change your mind in the face of contradictory evidence - I fully expect yet another expletive filled outburst that does nothing but prove how stubbornly ignorant and angry you are.

Location hidden

#689487 Jan 26, 2014
_DEMON_ wrote:
<quoted text> The mental is manafested into the physical because of brain damage done by addiction, the synappes ant synopping ,, sorta speakn, the physical is very real, but the mental is the cause shoot a pill or whatever and the physical is gone, do you know why??
Yep.

...I think... lol

Location hidden

#689488 Jan 26, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes please! I'm totally addicted to caffeine.
Is it because it's an addictive substance or because I'm South American?
Google will know!
lol
<quoted text>
"The history of all human knowledge?"
The INTERNET???
HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!!
And frogs can speak French! Toasters can sprout wings and fly!! Dogs and cats can do the tango together, I saw it in the "history of all human knowledge, the internet!"
HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!! HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!!
By your logic, libraries are useless and have nothing to offer because they contain a fiction section.

Location hidden

#689489 Jan 26, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You're right. Better to never use the internet, aka the history of all human knowledge, to check if your position holds any water. Better to wallow in ignorance.
<quoted text>
*OO*-rah!!
He also knows of a GOP propagandist who works as a reporter for Fox News, but for some reason he refuses to post the name for verification.
Ohmygoodness. This again...

Location hidden

#689490 Jan 26, 2014
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh Laaawdy! And to think, I was actually trying to seriously explain the intricate workings of the chemical processes and physiological cellular interactions of the bio organism to this guy.
No, you were filling your posts with jargon in an attempt to sound as if you knew what you were talking about, while at the same time not knowing what the reward pathway is. And, of course, being wildly wrong.

Location hidden

#689491 Jan 26, 2014
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course. Who am I to question your google expertise.
I haven't been getting my info from google, I have been urging everyone else to google instead of trusting whatever nonsense information they've picked up over time.

Location hidden

#689492 Jan 26, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
No you're not, quit lying. I'm starting to feel a little embarrassed for you.
Since it doesn't seem like you are capable of keeping up with the discussion, and are only capable of responding with little quips, I will try to simplify it for you by returning to a question that no one has attempted to answer.

If your position is that a drug must cause physical withdrawal symptoms for it to be addictive, please explain how crack cocaine, gambling, and sex can be addictive.
Scrooge

Apache Junction, AZ

#689493 Jan 26, 2014
cup of coffee wrote:
Topix was created by cowards.
Possibly, if topix was founded by death-denying cowardly Christian cultists like you, punk.
Scrooge

Apache Junction, AZ

#689494 Jan 26, 2014
God wrote:
Look in the mirror
Life on earth had an entirely natural origin. Try again, freak!

Location hidden

#689495 Jan 26, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>"The" most interesting article I've ever read that involved "desire" for drugs was back in 2011; "Hidden Switches In The Brain", by Eric J. Nestler in Scientific Anmerican. Fascinating.
The suggestion that "desire" causes epigenetic change...wow...
....yep, "consciousness" affecting genes...
Yeah, very strange and very interesting stuff. The entire field of epigenetics is mind blowing.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#689496 Jan 26, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, it is totally in line with what I've been posting the entire time. It said, and I'm paraphrasing, that physical dependence is caused by physiological adaptations in the brain and the central nervous system. And what I have been saying all along is that addiction is caused by changes in brain chemistry.
You were insisting it is psychological and not chemical, and that is FLAT WRONG if you know the basics of biochemical/biophysical interactions of the brain.
I have repeated this same fact so many times a baboon should understand it.
Maybe you need to google some more huh?
Ever hear of glial connectomes or activity maps?
How about solitons?

Location hidden

#689497 Jan 26, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>First of all, I have never said that addiction is not a chemical process, I said that physical dependency caused by certain chemicals is not the same thing as addiction (although the two often go hand in hand), and that the brain's reward pathway can restructure itself to accommodate any pleasurable, potentially addictive substance or activity.
"Since the mesolimbic pathway is shown to be associated with feelings of reward and desire, this pathway is heavily implicated in neurobiological theories of addiction, schizophrenia, and depression.[6][7][8]" - wiki
"Several brain regions are also involved in the biological mechanisms of addiction. Most notably, the release of dopamine into the nucleus accumbens, which is triggered by a wide variety of drugs in a wide variety of ways, plays a role in the reinforcing qualities of stimuli.[16] Since dopamine secretion is also characteristic of natural reinforcing stimuli such as food, water, and sex, it's evident that the addictive nature of drug involves processes that hijack these mechanisms." -wiki
"A major feature of addiction is the loss of control in limiting intake of the addictive substance. The most recent research indicates that the reward pathway may be even more important in the craving associated with addiction, compared to the reward itself."
http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/teachin...
"Additionally, addictive drugs are capable of directly acting on reward pathways."
http://www.nel.edu/pdf_/NEL250404R01_Esch-Ste...
It's funny, you keep insisting that you "know your stuff" and that I don't even understand the things I cite for you, and then you turn around and tell me to be sure to include all the causes that "lead to this [reward pathway]," indicating that you have no idea what the reward pathway is, and you imagine it is something made out of whole cloth because of drug addiction. This is obviously not the cause. "Reward pathway" refers to a number of structures in the brain that mediate motivation, desire, seeking behavior, and obviously, reward. The reward pathway is activated by a pleasurable stimulus, and in the case of chronic use, it adapts and then reinforces said use. Essentially, the reward pathway is hijacked by a pleasurable substance; whereas normally it motivates "normal" behavior (eating, sex, goal seeking, etc), in the case of addiction it becomes "redirected" toward the object of the addiction.
I said that because I wanted you to actually "write" it and as you did, you would see what I have been saying is totally accurate.
You are like trying to communicate with a wall, and are now attempting to relocate the goalposts because you are coming to realize you are in error but don't want to admit it.

Location hidden

#689498 Jan 26, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously, all processes in the brain are electrochemical. No one has said otherwise. What I have said is that addiction is caused by the brain. I have also said that it is not necessary that a drug cause physical withdrawal for it to be addictive, because the reward pathway can adapt to chronic use of *anything.* Any pleasurable stimulus can hijack the reward pathway and redirect its normal function towards drug use, or sex, or gambling, etc, etc.
That's not what you originally said at all.
You said that addiction is psychological and not chemical.
The facts are, it IS chemical, and that "develops" the "sensory" psychological effects.
I am NOT going to keep repeating, and repeating, and repeating the facts.
You failed grasshopper. Lesson over.
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#689499 Jan 26, 2014
henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Forget any nonsense god. There was never any such myth!
Then explain why those 2 perfect dry semi circles appeared ? Outside of those 2 semi circles was wet with rain. It was very obvious that God protected Jeff and his religious materials from getting wet from rain. Jeff was standing on the much bigger perfect dry semi circle. His religious materials were placed on the smaller perfect dry semi circle.

Can you explain how those 2 perfect dry semi circles was done ?

Jeff told me it was a Miracle. I saw them, and I agreed with Jeff.

Just because you did not experience a Miracle does not mean other people will experience them either. Some people experienced a real Miracle in their life time. And I am one of them.

Location hidden

#689500 Jan 26, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, you were filling your posts with jargon in an attempt to sound as if you knew what you were talking about, while at the same time not knowing what the reward pathway is. And, of course, being wildly wrong.
Jargon? LOL!
The "few" terms I used were totally misunderstood by you(or ignored) and are just the tip of the iceberg, and the words in what you googled you did not know the meaning of either.
"out of kilter brain" is a phrase no neuro physicist would ever use unless talking to ignorants or children.
Your "reward pathway" is a misinformed generality of supposition. I dont care what google has to say about it.

Location hidden

#689501 Jan 26, 2014
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
You were insisting it is psychological and not chemical, and that is FLAT WRONG if you know the basics of biochemical/biophysical interactions of the brain.
I have repeated this same fact so many times a baboon should understand it.
Maybe you need to google some more huh?
Ever hear of glial connectomes or activity maps?
How about solitons?
I was not insisting it was psychological, I said it was a chemical process caused solely by the brain - ie, no "physical addiction" in the sense of your body "needing it," only addiction mediated by the brain. Why do you think I mentioned the reward pathway so many times? The reward pathway is a physical set of structures in the brain. How many times did I say "addiction is caused by changes in the reward pathway?"

I know what a connectome is, simply a "map" of neural connections, so a glial connectome would be a map of the glial cells. An activity map, is, obviously, a map of (electrical) activity in the brain.

Solitons, I admit I had to google, and it became apparent why when I read about them. The soliton model proposes that signals in the brain travel via certain types of sound or density pulses known as solitons. This is a very recent model (2005) that seeks to overthrow the long held notion of the brain as an essentially electrical machine, with action potentials traveling between neurons. In short, the world soliton refers to a relatively obscure model that directly contradicts our current model - the one that you have been insisting you are an expert on.

And finally, a bit of advice for you. If, in the future, you decide to spice up your post with jargon from a particular field, first, at least try to use terms related to the current discussion, and second, do not use overly technical or obscure terms that make it clear you lifted them from a neuroscience article.

Allow me to present the evidence:

First, the phrase "glial connectomes" is a strange one, because, if you understood the article you took it from, you would know that a glial connectome represents a proposed (and, in the author's opinion, absurd) "map" of the glial cells - cells that, as far as we know, may have a role in cognition while also being sort of like "nutrient paste" that holds the brain together. We also don't really understand their purpose or their mechanism, especially when compared to our understanding of neurons, which is why the author suggests that maps of neurons are more useful (and feasible) currently.

Activity map is a generic term that doesn't have anything to do with our current discussion - however, it does feature prominently in an article titled "Do glial connectomes and activity maps make any sense?"

And finally, for the coup de grace - here is a comment from said article:

"Soliton-like, or any kind of density pulse may be ideal way to transduce reflexes faster than ionic spikes, but for slow potentials, solitons may not be needed as a descriptor of mechanical signalling?"

The article:

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-09-glial-c...

Location hidden

#689502 Jan 26, 2014
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
The facts are, it IS chemical, and that "develops" the "sensory" psychological effects.
Really?

Here are just a *few* of my many posts on the subject:

What do you think "physical" addiction means? Addiction is a mental phenomenon. Withdrawal is a result of brain chemistry. Google is your friend.

If someone becomes addicted to something, the reward pathway physically changes to accommodate it. That is what addiction is - a change in brain chemistry that motivates the seeking and using behavior found in addicts. The reward pathway governs motivation and reward, among other things, and in the mind of an addict the reward pathway motivates drug use.

Also, to be clear, when I say "mental," I don't mean mental in the sense that "it's all in your head." I am talking about brain chemistry. Addiction is a very real phenomenon, but it's not as if you suddenly start needing drugs like you need water. Your brain adapts to the chronic use, and every symptom and behavior associated with addiction is caused by your brain.

Location hidden

#689503 Jan 26, 2014
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?

Here are just a few of my many posts on the subject:

What do you think "physical" addiction means? Addiction is a mental phenomenon. Withdrawal is a result of brain chemistry. Google is your friend.

If someone becomes addicted to something, the reward pathway physically changes to accommodate it. That is what addiction is - a change in brain chemistry that motivates the seeking and using behavior found in addicts. The reward pathway governs motivation and reward, among other things, and in the mind of an addict the reward pathway motivates drug use.

Also, to be clear, when I say "mental," I don't mean mental in the sense that "it's all in your head." I am talking about brain chemistry. Addiction is a very real phenomenon, but it's not as if you suddenly start needing drugs like you need water. Your brain adapts to the chronic use, and every symptom and behavior associated with addiction is caused by your brain.

Care to recant?
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#689504 Jan 26, 2014
Scrooge wrote:
<quoted text>
There has never been a single scientific observation in the history of the human race in support of the juvenile concept of mythical deities. You didn't witness a divine miracle and that's a fact. You're a dangerously delusional nutcase who should be institutionalized immediately, kid.
actually, you are the one who is dangerous. with your verbal abuse, calling others names, i can tell you are a very dangerous person.

just because i saw a real Miracle, you call me a dangerous person and should be institutionalized ? what can i do if God really presented it to me and Jeff ? God just wanted us to witness a real Miracle in order to let us know that God is very real. Is there something wrong with that ? me dangerous ? me delusional ? NO WAY !!

in fact you are more dangerous than anyone here posting. all of your replies are too evil !!! you don't have any tactfulness or any respect. the way you deal with people who believe in Miracles and God is too brutal !!! your words are to harsh !!! you should be the one in prison or in mental institution !!! ok ??

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#689505 Jan 26, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Since it doesn't seem like you are capable of keeping up with the discussion, and are only capable of responding with little quips, I will try to simplify it for you by returning to a question that no one has attempted to answer.

If your position is that a drug must cause physical withdrawal symptoms for it to be addictive, please explain how crack cocaine, gambling, and sex can be addictive.
Show a post where I said that or quit putting words in my mouth, so to speak.

I simply do not want to have a circular argument with a religinut who does not even understand what it is posting and refuses to answer one simple question.

I've told you I don't want to discuss this with you and yet you keep hounding me in manner of salivating *stalker* troll.

I can quip as much as I want and no amount of crying from you, can change anything.

You want to be ignorant, go right ahead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min Gods r Delusions ... 574,098
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 18 min onemale 268,896
Whatsapp group Hot n Sexy for guys and girls 25 min abi 48
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 26 min trifecta1 608,209
Incest: Horny and looking for good stories :) (Nov '13) 29 min ptaz3 13
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 50 min Freebird USA 176,092
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Kait the Rotund F... 442,090
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Mar '14) 6 hr coco 204
Straight guys: Would you ever have intercourse ... (Jul '12) 16 hr yes lover 162
More from around the web