Prove there's a god.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#680360 Dec 25, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
If it's a Federal law, it sure as hell does.
The Post Office--a governmental agency--is closed on christmas; therefore....
Church/State violation.
http://www.lawfficespace.com/2010/12/is-chris...

"The Calendar of Public Activities"
If you read the Court's opinion it offers secular purposes for the holiday such as "accommodat[ing] the calendar of public activities" and "recognizing the cultural significance of the holiday." In short, the "public calendar" had a holiday before the government passed the statute, and that holiday was "Christmas."

As the Court notes, the days of the week are named for religious reasons. For example, "Thursday" comes from the Norse god Thor. I certainly don't take the statute's recognition of Thanksgiving as "the fourth Thursday in November" as an establishment of Norse polytheism. It just recognizes that the public calendar marks it as such.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#680361 Dec 25, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.lawfficespace.com/2010/12/is-chris...
"The Calendar of Public Activities"
If you read the Court's opinion it offers secular purposes for the holiday such as "accommodat[ing] the calendar of public activities" and "recognizing the cultural significance of the holiday." In short, the "public calendar" had a holiday before the government passed the statute, and that holiday was "Christmas."
As the Court notes, the days of the week are named for religious reasons. For example, "Thursday" comes from the Norse god Thor. I certainly don't take the statute's recognition of Thanksgiving as "the fourth Thursday in November" as an establishment of Norse polytheism. It just recognizes that the public calendar marks it as such.
The days of the week for example, are named after the planets.

Sunday

The day of the Sun. From the latin, sol dies, comes the word solar, meaning 'related to the sun'.

Monday

Monday is the day of the moon. In French, Monday is lundi, and the moon is la lune. It's easy to see how these French terms, and the English words lunar, lunatic and loony all derive from the latin lunis dies.

Tuesday

The day of Mars, named after Tyr, the Norse god of war. In latin, Tuesday was martis dies, which lead to the French word for Tuesday, mardi

Wednesday

The day of Mercury, named after Wotan, the Norse equivalent of the Roman god Mercury. From the latin mercurii dies comes mercredi French word for Wednesday.

Thursday

The day of Jupiter, named after Thor, equivalent of the god Jupiter in Norse mythology. The latin for Thursday was jovis dies (Jupiter's day), from which comes the French word jeudi.

Friday

The day of Venus. Friday is named after Freia, who was the goddess of beauty in Norse mythology, just as Venus was the Roman goddess of beauty and charm. From veneris dies, the latin term for Friday, comes vendredi, French for Friday. The English words venereal venerable and venery all come from this.

Saturday

The day of Saturn. In latin, Saturday was saturni dies.

The names of the days of the week are just one of the many remnants of ancient astrological knowledge that can be found around us every day.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#680363 Dec 25, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>The days of the week for example, are named after the planets.

Sunday

The day of the Sun. From the latin, sol dies, comes the word solar, meaning 'related to the sun'.

Monday

Monday is the day of the moon. In French, Monday is lundi, and the moon is la lune. It's easy to see how these French terms, and the English words lunar, lunatic and loony all derive from the latin lunis dies.

Tuesday

The day of Mars, named after Tyr, the Norse god of war. In latin, Tuesday was martis dies, which lead to the French word for Tuesday, mardi

Wednesday

The day of Mercury, named after Wotan, the Norse equivalent of the Roman god Mercury. From the latin mercurii dies comes mercredi French word for Wednesday.

Thursday

The day of Jupiter, named after Thor, equivalent of the god Jupiter in Norse mythology. The latin for Thursday was jovis dies (Jupiter's day), from which comes the French word jeudi.

Friday

The day of Venus. Friday is named after Freia, who was the goddess of beauty in Norse mythology, just as Venus was the Roman goddess of beauty and charm. From veneris dies, the latin term for Friday, comes vendredi, French for Friday. The English words venereal venerable and venery all come from this.

Saturday

The day of Saturn. In latin, Saturday was saturni dies.

The names of the days of the week are just one of the many remnants of ancient astrological knowledge that can be found around us every day.
Nice. Thanks for that.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#680364 Dec 25, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice. Thanks for that.
Hope you are having a nice whateveritis day, Luci.
Dr Shrink

Baltimore, MD

#680365 Dec 25, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
RR has to drag everything down to the ridiculous as it is his only out.
The earth rest on pillars (1 Sam. 2:8);
Since the earth rests on pillars it should be a simple thing to build a bathroom scale big enough to place the earth on it. Oh ooops I forgot:
The earth won't be moved (1Chron. 16:30);
Scratch that idea. I guess we won't be putting the earth on any bathroom scale.
At least we can still laugh at RR.
you poor half head
find out hebrew words "pillars" and their meanings

and word"earth won'be moved

such half head uneducated cretins I never meet,
who open their mouths having not clue about paraolic meanings of ancient nations using such language till today among tribes, middle east people and even East Europa old slavic languages

DUMBS LIKE YOU,ONLY THIS COUNTRY GAVE BIRTH as aborted humankind embrios

what you say if I will tell you,"you look like POS?
are you look like POS or like human?
he he heeeee idiot

electromagnetic pillars are pillars made from concrete,or your own dung?or???
he he heeeeeee

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#680366 Dec 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not whining.
I'm suggesting you don't blindly trust science.
What? Who does? Personally, I "trust" science because it get results. It is the best tool we have for making predictions about the universe and for making valuable tools, medicine, etc.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#680367 Dec 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of you have. There's one atheist poster here that swears DNA didn't exist until it was discovered.
However, I concede that not all of you do. To say that is bigoted. I take it back.
I think his opinion is that it didn't exist to science until it was discovered.

“You Can't Throw MeTo TheWolves”

Since: May 10

THEY COME WHEN I CALL

#680368 Dec 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
America hasn't been here for tens of thousands of years.
I thought you knew.
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you believe the Winter Solstice celebration was only celebrated after the signing of the Declaration of Independence?
Ancient people all over the earth have been having winter celebrations and not just in the northern parts of the northern hemisphere.
You know RR, there are countries other than the USA. And some of them celebrate what is called today, Christmas, even down under as we do here in America.
If you do not believe me you need to visit Australia for example. They too celebrate the Dec. 21st holiday even though it is summer when they do it.
He knows that, and it pisses him off. Not having everyone believe as he does, and being unable to force everyone to believe as he does, leaves him feeling very insecure; it makes him doubt his own beliefs, even if only for a moment.

Those little moments add up.

“You Can't Throw MeTo TheWolves”

Since: May 10

THEY COME WHEN I CALL

#680369 Dec 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I know, you take all biblical verses out of context.
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar.
The Bible supports cannibalism. The following enumeration covers virtually every relevant biblical comment and shows the key verses fall into two broad categories: those in which God or Jesus commands or condones cannabalistic activity and those which merely relate activities of this nature. One can justifiably accuse the Bible of advocating cannabalism in light of the former but not the latter. Merely relating instances of cannabalism, rape, incest, or other atrocious behavior doesn't mean such activities are being fostered or proposed. Among the former are such verses as:
"And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat" (Lev. 26:29) and
"I will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat every one the flesh of his friend...." (Jer. 19:9) and
"I will make your oppressors eat their own flesh, and they shall be drunk with their own blood as with wine" (Isa. 49:26 RSV) and
"Therefore fathers shall eat their sons in the midst of you, and sons shall eat their fathers...." (Ezek. 5:10).
In addition, there are statements by Jesus which some Christians have chosen to spiritualize, while other interpret them literally:
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye shall have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day" (John 6:53-54) and
"as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it and broke it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take eat; this is my body. And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; For this is my blood...." (Matt. 26:26-28, Luke 22:19-20, Mark 14:22-24, 1 Cor. 11:24-26) and
"He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me and I in him.... So he that eateth me, even he shall live by me" (John 6:56-57).
Then, of course, there are verses which merely relate or predict cannabalistic activity:
"So we boiled my son, and ate him. And on the next day I said to her,`Give your son, that we may eat him.' but she has hidden her son" (2 Kings 6:28-29 RSV) and
"The hands of compassionate women have boiled their own children; they became their food...." (Lam. 4:10 RSV) and
"What is to die, let it die; what is to be destroyed, let it be destroyed; and those that are left devour the flesh of one another" (Zech. 11:9 RSV) and
"They snatch of the right, but are still hungry, and they devour on the left, but are not satisfied; each devours his neighbor's flesh" (Isa. 9:20 RSV) and
"you shall eat the offspring of your own body, the flesh of your sons and daughters.... The man who is the most tender and delicately bred among you will grudge food to his brother, to the wife of his bosom,...so that he will not give to any of them any of the flesh of his children whom he is eating.... The most tender and delicately bred woman among you...will grudge to the husband of her bosom...her children whom she bears, because she will eat them secretly,..." (Deut. 28:53-57 RSV).
His masters and his pastor never showed him all *that* from the buybull. If they turn away from it, close their eyes to it, and refuse to recognize it, then for them it simply does not exist.

“You Can't Throw MeTo TheWolves”

Since: May 10

THEY COME WHEN I CALL

#680370 Dec 25, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a liar. You deliberately change people's posts, and then respond to them.
How just is a cause you have to lie for?
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Good question. Everyone sees what RR is doing, he can't very well hide it. All his posts are there if any one doubts his trying to deceive us. Why RR continues to beat a dead horse is a mystery to me.
He's desperate to convince himself of his own lies. The truth terrifies him.

“Don't try to goad me...”

Since: Nov 07

... I'm a goadless heathen.

#680371 Dec 25, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> 3 elements? You mean 3 atoms?
Hydrogen? Oxygen? Pretty sure I recently saw them on the Periodic Table of Elements.

Ah, I see... 3 atoms of 2 elements. Yes, I suppose.

“You Can't Throw MeTo TheWolves”

Since: May 10

THEY COME WHEN I CALL

#680372 Dec 25, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
RR has to drag everything down to the ridiculous as it is his only out.
The earth rest on pillars (1 Sam. 2:8);
Since the earth rests on pillars it should be a simple thing to build a bathroom scale big enough to place the earth on it. Oh ooops I forgot:
The earth won't be moved (1Chron. 16:30);
Scratch that idea. I guess we won't be putting the earth on any bathroom scale.
At least we can still laugh at RR.
Dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
you poor half head
find out hebrew words "pillars" and their meanings
and word"earth won'be moved
such half head uneducated cretins I never meet,
who open their mouths having not clue about paraolic meanings of ancient nations using such language till today among tribes, middle east people and even East Europa old slavic languages
DUMBS LIKE YOU,ONLY THIS COUNTRY GAVE BIRTH as aborted humankind embrios
what you say if I will tell you,"you look like POS?
are you look like POS or like human?
he he heeeee idiot
electromagnetic pillars are pillars made from concrete,or your own dung?or???
he he heeeeeee
You poor, dumb, pole-smoking pendejo.

“You Can't Throw MeTo TheWolves”

Since: May 10

THEY COME WHEN I CALL

#680373 Dec 25, 2013
Fundamentalist christian hatred comes a combination of their inability to think rationally and their shameful *refusal* to think rationally. And their excuse for it comes from “divine forgiveness.

Science is too complicated for *true believers*; they want simple, easy answers to complicated questions. They are driven to frothing fits of rage that we non-christians--whether we are atheist or agnostic, or even whether we are believers, like deists, Buddhists or even Pagans like myself--prove them wrong time after time after time, especially with their own buybull; and they resent all of our thought-provoking, rational challenges to their simpleminded foolishness. Like the muslim fanatics they decry, They-Don't-Want-To-Think; worse yet, they want to drag the rest of the world down to *their* level of ignorance, stupidity and illiteracy.

And we non-christians won't let them do it.

They are Taliban christians, and they resent our intelligence, our talents for rational thought, and our intellectual and spiritual *freedom.* They want us to be stupid and fearful, like them, because they are intellectually lazy; we won't do it, and they hate us for that. The posts that they leave here on this thread alone are irrefutable proof of what I’m saying.

They call *me* "hateful," because I won't take their sh*t; I throw it right back at them, and they cry foul. "You can't do that to us; *we're christians!!* But our jesus says *we* can sh*t on *you!!*"

They are also *afraid* of their bible god, and we aren't--and they hate us for that, too. They hate us for not sharing in their fear.*THEY-ARE-AFRAID!* They suppress that fear, and as a result it transforms itself into psychosis. The only reason why they believe in their buybull is because they are too afraid not to; like helpless, immature little children, they fear eternal punishment from their imaginary bogeyman Satan, as is promised for those who do not believe by their Filthy Book of Lies and its New Testament.

They speak of "God's love," and how much they "love" their god; they "love" their god the way a clingy, beaten-down housewife "loves" her abusive, alcoholic husband. An abused wife asks herself, "If I have my husband taken to jail, what will I do? Where will I go?" It's the same way with those fundies and their bible god; when reason and the light of understanding disprove the existence of their god, what will they do?

It's not a wonder that hateful, assclown christians from the past, who are no different from those of today, wanted to burn Galileo at the stake.

Fundies are stuck in the past, with their hate and the lust for the blood of those who would defy them by refusing to bow down to their phony god of the bible.

Cling to your god out of fear, fundies, but don't expect the rest of us to cling to it; we don't need to.

These fundie christians have done wonders in reinforcing my beliefs about those backward, mouth-breathing, slack-jawed paste-eaters who would rather sit in their soiled underwear and finger paint their walls with their own feces than read a book.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#680375 Dec 25, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
...
He's desperate to convince himself of his own lies. The truth terrifies him.
That IS the problem with most theists.

They do not have enough faith to accept the truth.
christINSANITY is EVIL

Fergus, Canada

#680376 Dec 25, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
Fundamentalist christian hatred comes a combination of their inability to think rationally and their shameful *refusal* to think rationally. And their excuse for it comes from “divine forgiveness.
Science is too complicated for *true believers*; they want simple, easy answers to complicated questions. They are driven to frothing fits of rage that we non-christians--whether we are atheist or agnostic, or even whether we are believers, like deists, Buddhists or even Pagans like myself--prove them wrong time after time after time, especially with their own buybull; and they resent all of our thought-provoking, rational challenges to their simpleminded foolishness. Like the muslim fanatics they decry, They-Don't-Want-To-Think; worse yet, they want to drag the rest of the world down to *their* level of ignorance, stupidity and illiteracy.
And we non-christians won't let them do it.
They are Taliban christians, and they resent our intelligence, our talents for rational thought, and our intellectual and spiritual *freedom.* They want us to be stupid and fearful, like them, because they are intellectually lazy; we won't do it, and they hate us for that. The posts that they leave here on this thread alone are irrefutable proof of what I’m saying.
They call *me* "hateful," because I won't take their sh*t; I throw it right back at them, and they cry foul. "You can't do that to us; *we're christians!!* But our jesus says *we* can sh*t on *you!!*"
They are also *afraid* of their bible god, and we aren't--and they hate us for that, too. They hate us for not sharing in their fear.*THEY-ARE-AFRAID!* They suppress that fear, and as a result it transforms itself into psychosis. The only reason why they believe in their buybull is because they are too afraid not to; like helpless, immature little children, they fear eternal punishment from their imaginary bogeyman Satan, as is promised for those who do not believe by their Filthy Book of Lies and its New Testament.
They speak of "God's love," and how much they "love" their god; they "love" their god the way a clingy, beaten-down housewife "loves" her abusive, alcoholic husband. An abused wife asks herself, "If I have my husband taken to jail, what will I do? Where will I go?" It's the same way with those fundies and their bible god; when reason and the light of understanding disprove the existence of their god, what will they do?
It's not a wonder that hateful, assclown christians from the past, who are no different from those of today, wanted to burn Galileo at the stake.
Fundies are stuck in the past, with their hate and the lust for the blood of those who would defy them by refusing to bow down to their phony god of the bible.
Cling to your god out of fear, fundies, but don't expect the rest of us to cling to it; we don't need to.
These fundie christians have done wonders in reinforcing my beliefs about those backward, mouth-breathing, slack-jawed paste-eaters who would rather sit in their soiled underwear and finger paint their walls with their own feces than read a book.
nicely said!
happy holidays everyone

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#680378 Dec 26, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
You have to prove there *is* a god.
No I don't.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#680379 Dec 26, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
No wonder you have such a poor grasp on historical events and with comprehending what you read, you seem to think everything can be interpreted however you want to interpret it, like the bible.
Incorrect.

I've never once tried to interpret the Bible as I see fit.

Try harder, please.
Yet is appears, more than ever, that you have not read it so I'm glad the rev is posting it for you, shocking isn't it?
Anyone can copy/paste the Bible.

That Rev Anal does it is no surprise.

The atheists love quoting the Bible.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#680380 Dec 26, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
If it's a Federal law, it sure as hell does.
The Post Office--a governmental agency--is closed on christmas; therefore....
Church/State violation.
By making Christmas a federal holiday, the government is not making a national religion.

So no, it doesn't violate the 1st Amendment.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#680381 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I can't prove God.
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
Then stop telling us that it's real, and that the proof is in believing in it.
I also can't prove what clouds are made of.

I guess that means clouds don't exist, either.

Because RR can't prove em.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#680382 Dec 26, 2013
Cvvl wrote:
Erm, no. H2O is (as I'm sure you know) 3 distinct elements forming a compound. I don't believe the trinity is supposed to be 3 distinct anythings, so that analogy fails...unless you concede tri-theism.
Really?

God
Jesus
Holy Spirit

Those seem to be "three anythings"....
Father, son, husband are all titles a single individual may hold, as are brother, boss, buddy, asshat and hero. Are you trying to imply that the trinity is just one being with multiple titles? Then why not a quadrinity or even an octinity?? Father, son, spirit, saviour, sacrifice, man, messiah, myth.
It was a simple analogy for the simple minded.

Strange that it overshot your intellect.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Hukt on Fonix 63,381
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 14 min LAWEST100 653,677
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 22 min WasteWater 2,566
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 39 min LAWEST100 618,751
sexy girl want to Skype fun Skype: dilinazi20 (Apr '15) 1 hr Allauddin khan 53
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Pegasus 281,841
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 2 hr ChristineM 445,964
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 hr DebraE 106,474
More from around the web