“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#679848 Dec 23, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Does science not accumulate knowledge? What is its purpose?
And, again, it's amazing that you try to criticize science because it's gotten things wrong in the past but gone on to correct them.
Religion has given us many, many wrongheaded ideas, some of which have had massively negative effects on the overall trajectory of human progress. The problem is, religion doesn't correct its mistakes until forced to do so by the outside world. Religion seeks to force the facts to fit the beliefs, and only acquiesces once the facts are so overwhelming that resisting them would do serious damage. And that's the best case scenario. Some religious people are dedicated to fighting with all their might to wallow in ignorance - take young earth creationists, for instance. They see science as an existential threat, so instead of accommodating it, an entire cultural movement (along with its own cottage industries) has been established solely to rail against established science. They go inwards and backwards, straining to return to a time when nothing threatened their beliefs. Viewed in general, YECs and similar groups can be seen as an instance of hive minded, cultural cognitive dissonance - there are two "competing" ideas in the cultural consciousness, this is too uncomfortable for YECs to bear, so they convince themselves that their idea is right in spite of the evidence.
Science is not an entity IN and OF itself, but a continuous pooling of concepts that constantly change as time "passes". Science is no threat to belief, as science relies on the belief of "scientists" that their equations will work to explain their hypotheses. Belief continues on in the "hope" that a new, altered equation will work to explain reality. Funny how reality relies on belief and hope, hmm? Once upon a time, a man with no microscope believed in the existence of atoms. What a fool among so many geniuses who relied only upon what their eyes could see.
xD

xD

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#679849 Dec 23, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

If you believe there is no God, you're not atheist.
You're agnostic.
Congratulations.
timn17 wrote:
What?
I guess I stuttered.

If you believe there is no God, you're not atheist.

You're agnostic.

Congratulations.

Atheists have no beliefs, remember?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#679850 Dec 23, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>RR believes that all knowledge systems must be complete from the beginning. Any alterations made over time invalidate them completely. He ignores this rule when it comes to religion.
Fire.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#679851 Dec 23, 2013
timn17 wrote:
RR believes that all knowledge systems must be complete from the beginning.
Negative.

I said nothing of the sort.

Here we go again, arguing what RR didn't say....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#679852 Dec 23, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, because it was an atheist cult that dropped the bombs on japan. Good christians would never do anything bad.
Good ole science and it's awesome weapons.

Gotta dig it!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#679853 Dec 23, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, dude, you're totally wrong. The true rational skeptic doubts science and believes unquestionably in the lord. That's what you meant, right?
And where do you get the idea that everyone "believes" that science has everything right? Why do you think people continue to do research, come up with new theories, etc? Scientists wouldn't exist anymore if we thought we had figured everything out.
Getting you people to admit that science is fallible for starters...

It's like trying to milk a tree for it's bricks.

Location hidden

#679854 Dec 23, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never blathered.
And I don't pray to the sky.
Try again, buckwheat.
You read my profile?!!!!

Nobody ever does that!

I love blaethering....there's nothing like nurturing the void...

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#679855 Dec 23, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong? No, I'm not.
Provide evidence for your dream last night.
Provide evidence for luck,
Provide evidence for intuition.
G'head, prove me wrong.
Luck does not exist.

We've already been over intuition and dreams (and hands for that matter) probably 20 times, and I am not wasting my time with it again. Even with myself and around 10 other people explaining this to you, you continue to dredge up the same tired old nonsense. The gist of it is, however, that, excluding the various "hard" ways we can prove dreams and intuition (brain scans, sleep studies, etc), the fact that billions of people can attest to the existence of dreams is enough to prove that dreams exist. You will try to say that the same goes for god, but the difference is, people use their experience of dreams to "prove" that dreams exist, as opposed to using dreams to "prove" that the dream sandman exists. Your personal experience of god proves that you personally feel that god exists, not that any outside agent is causing your feelings.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#679856 Dec 23, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Pretty much everything from anærobic bacteria on.
Look up "stromatolites", you quarter-wit.
hows about you look up this:..|..

Location hidden

#679857 Dec 23, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And there it is...
lol
There's this one jerk on here, calls himself chimney, who's been promoting a universal moral code, says we can't all be happy until we all agree that the same things make us happy...

What a hoot. You can guess where that argument went.

Location hidden

#679858 Dec 23, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Prayer.
I've seen it work firsthand.
I wonder why prayer studies always fail to find any evidence that it works.

Location hidden

#679859 Dec 23, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So what. Dogs accumulate knowledge, too.
<quoted text>
It's amazing that you don't criticize science for the very same reason.
<quoted text>
Example?
<quoted text>
So what? What do you want to do about it, silence them? Take away their right to choice?
<quoted text>
Oh, you think they're sick and need treatment.
Damn those free rights we have!
When did I say that they were sick and need treatment? Cognitive dissonance is not a sickness, it is something every human experiences.

When did I say I wanted to silence them?

I have no idea what point you think you're making with your reference to dogs.

Why would I criticize science because it corrects its mistakes? I acknowledge that it does make mistakes, but it is by far the best way we have come up with for learning about the world. If you know of a better system for increasing our knowledge, share it, you'll go down in history as a genius. I realize that we don't have all the answers, but why should I write off the best system we have for gaining knowledge simply because it has gotten some things wrong?

Do you think it makes more sense to count on religion? Has it increased our knowledge about the world in any meaningful way? Did we land on the moon by praying hard?

And do I really need to list some of the bad ideas that religion has given us, or are you just being a pedant? YECS themselves are demonstrative of one of the worst things religion has given us - a virulent strain of anti-intellectualism and a widespread distrust of science that both extend beyond the loopy confines of the YEC movement.

Location hidden

#679860 Dec 23, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Clear one thing up for me, would ya?
How is it that you know spiritual experiences would be able to be tested and repeatable?
Where are you getting this apparent knowledge and how come the world doesn't know this?
If they aren't, then you can't make any meaningful claims about them. You can enjoy them personally, but the only thing you can say for sure is that you experienced something, and not that this "something" is indicative of a god.

Location hidden

#679861 Dec 23, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So what.
This isn't a prove there's a unicorn thread.
The statement "you can't prove there isn't a god" is meaningless. I was making a simple analogy. I forgive you for misunderstanding.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#679862 Dec 23, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
hows about you look up this:..|..
No, you stupid fudge.

Cyanobactetia, Stromatolites: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stromatolite

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#679863 Dec 23, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You read my profile?!!!!
Nobody ever does that!
I love blaethering....there's nothing like nurturing the void...
I love bathing, too.

Ever have a freshwater bath?

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#679864 Dec 23, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Close.
I compared the difficulty (or impossibility) of proving any of those.
Including God.
Yay! You finally said it!!!... only after disagreeing with me when I made almost identical statements... but that's okay. You're learning.

They're impossible to prove because they all take place in the head... there's no proof for them. Including your god.
Real things that exist that we cannot prove.
!!! LOL !!! LOL !!! LOL !!!

RR... you're one of THE BEST theist posters ever... a veritable cornucopia of contradiction! You've once again blown your own case completely owdda-da-wadda!

Give me an example of a "real thing that exists" that we cannot prove?

You're gonna say, "We know dreams are real!"... aren't you?

Dreams are experienced in the head. What's dreamt is not real, it's a dream. What else is there to say?

Thoughts are experienced in the head. What's thought is not real by virtue of being thought.

Same for imagination. What's imagined is imagined. Need more be said?

Opinions are experienced in the head. Voicing an opinion doesn't make it a fact.

Hallucinations are experienced in the head. Do you really want to go there?

Feelings/emotions are experienced in the head... as are your god and your faith.

You have no proof there's a god.

Proof of a god doesn't exist.

Research the word "real"...

...and try again.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#679865 Dec 23, 2013
timn17 wrote:
Luck does not exist.
We've already been over intuition and dreams (and hands for that matter) probably 20 times, and I am not wasting my time with it again. Even with myself and around 10 other people explaining this to you, you continue to dredge up the same tired old nonsense. The gist of it is, however, that, excluding the various "hard" ways we can prove dreams and intuition (brain scans, sleep studies, etc), the fact that billions of people can attest to the existence of dreams is enough to prove that dreams exist. You will try to say that the same goes for god, but the difference is, people use their experience of dreams to "prove" that dreams exist, as opposed to using dreams to "prove" that the dream sandman exists. Your personal experience of god proves that you personally feel that god exists, not that any outside agent is causing your feelings.
Luck exists.

I repeat myself because some of you seem to be so damn dense, nothing gets through your thick skulls.

There is no evidence of a dream. None. None at all. Zero.

Even though we all know that we dream.

I'm trying to help you understand that there are plenty of yet unexplained phenomena that happen.

Like dreams, gut feelings, emotions.

God.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#679866 Dec 23, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>lol
There's this one jerk on here, calls himself chimney, who's been promoting a universal moral code, says we can't all be happy until we all agree that the same things make us happy...
What a hoot. You can guess where that argument went.
I, Robot?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#679867 Dec 23, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I wonder why prayer studies always fail to find any evidence that it works.
Wrong. There are prayer studies that show prayer works.

Besides, I don't need a scientific explanation of if prayer works, I already know it does.

So do billions of other people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 9 min Seentheotherside 609,986
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 52 min who 270,214
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 55 min Christina La Vey 579,441
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 55 min RiccardoFire 39,987
magi chudbo 1 hr rajevas 3
Sex with Mom (May '12) 1 hr rajevas 14
jawan bhanji ki chudai kaise karu (Apr '13) 1 hr rajevas 73
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 2 hr Rosa_Winkel 2,051
More from around the web