Prove there's a god.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#676555 Nov 29, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>And it is their right to believe what they please. They can believe that all good people go to live on their own personal planet after death as far as I'm concerned. It's pointless to tell other people what they can or can't think and it's evil to search for a way to separate them from their ability to think differently than you. You and your buds claim they lie to themselves and others about their beliefs but if they believe what they are saying it is not a lie to THEM. It is disingenuous on your part to act like there is no deception coming from your idols like Sam Harris and his buttbuddies. Nature gave us all the ability to deceive, whether self-deception or simple avoidance, it is a survival mechanism that no beast should be expected to live without. If "having religion" is what makes someone feel good then it's nobody's business but their own, the same goes for atheism. Neither group should be at war with each other's ideology and those that want war should be shunned by decent people. Supporting domination of any group is shameful but I suspect the shame has been brainwashed out of most of the creeps on Topix.
I agree it is their right to believe what they want to believe, and I don't believe I ever said otherwise. There is nothing wrong with "having religion."

As for whether or not religious people lie, that's another issue. Some most certainly do, whether in service of some agenda (anti gay, anti science, etc), or in an attempt to reinforce their beliefs. There is a distinction between those who knowingly lie or distort and those who truly believe that they are serving god by attempting to "teach the controversy" or some other such nonsense, but when the end result is bad either way, I don't see much of a difference.

It is important to allow freedom of belief for all, but it is also important for those beliefs to remain personal. No one has the right, whether pure of intention or not, to spread falsehoods and hate. Not that all religious people do this, obviously, but the ones that keep quiet are giving their tacit approval to the wonks who want creation science in every classroom and for every closeted gay man to have a wife. Truly believing something does not make any actions resulting from that belief automatically pure. Would it be ok for me to kill someone because I believe they are a witch?

As for "sam harris and his buttbuddies..." First of all, he is not my idol. Second of all, I have never claimed that sam harris is completely perfect, and I am sure that he has lied before. But all lies are not the same - some are certainly worse than others. Let's say sam harris one time stretched the truth in order to make a point about the danger of zealotry. Is that worse than a religious person lying about the scientific merit of creation science, or a pastor lying to his church about evolution (thus increasing anti science sentiment and increasing ignorance)?

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#676556 Nov 29, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>All I have is witnesses but you would claim, "Hearsay, liar!", not having access to those people yourself. Even with them telling what they saw, and what the didn't see, they could not truthfully tell you whether the entity involved was a demon, ghost, an angel or God that instigated the "event".
I wouldn't call you a liar, but you're right, I tend not to take personal anecdotes regarding the supernatural very seriously. I have a choice between thinking that the laws of reality broke for a few minutes, or thinking that the human mind can sometimes make mistakes, misremember, and misinterpret. On the one hand, we don't know if demons and the like exist, and on the other, we know that the human mind isn't perfect, and we know that oftentimes these alleged experiences are easily debunked by considering rational explanations. UFO abduction stories, for example.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#676557 Nov 29, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple question: Who created and designed something as infinitely inexplicable and unfathomably complex as God?
I know, I know, it created itself. So what you're saying is that you believe in God AND you DO believe in Magic........right?[
So ignorant of you to think because we believe in God we believe in magic, come on grow up. Magic which is an illusion, you know, not real. Do you realize that people believe in God because he is real, which magic isn't, so why do you ignorantly use magic as a comparison. Listen, you can't prove that God doesn't exist, so why say these things. Asking another really lame question as who created God, come on, really. First of all if you have studied just a little bit you would know that he's not a created being, we are, he created us. He has ALWAYS EXYSTED. My friend you are lost . You need to go to the nearest Church of Christ and study and then be baptized so you can live forever. I would be happy to help you know the truth of the bible, just ask.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#676558 Nov 29, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> So ignorant of you to think because we believe in God we believe in magic, come on grow up. Magic which is an illusion, you know, not real....
Exactly.
Magic is an illusion.
Religion is a delusion.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#676559 Nov 29, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly.
Magic is an illusion.
Religion is a delusion.
Really, a delusion? It's a proven fact that the amount of people who believe in God could not be delusional, on the other hand, one who makes a statement such as this is usually one with a hate issue for God. Usually it's because they lack true knowledge of God and they had someone who died and blame God. Sometimes it's because of the pain and suffering they see in life and they think it's God's fault, so they feel the need to blame God for it. So is this a possibility that this is why you feel the way you do, or do you feel not enough proof he exists, or both
Peaceful

Kent, WA

#676560 Nov 29, 2013
A Formal Satire wrote:
<quoted text>
We have empirical evidence that wind exists.
And people scoff at the bullshit others make up as they go along and call it divine.
How do you measure darkness without the presence of light?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#676561 Nov 29, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Elizabethan English IS Modern English you colossal idiot.
How the hell these idiots claim to have read the Bible when they can't do Shakespeare baffles me.
shini

Virginia Beach, VA

#676562 Nov 30, 2013
shiznit, iznit?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#676563 Nov 30, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>How the hell these idiots claim to have read the Bible when they can't do Shakespeare baffles me.
"Her haire nor loose nor ti'd in formall plat,
Proclaimd in her a carelesse hand of pride;
For some vntuck'd descended her sheu'd hat,
Hanging her pale and pined cheeke beside,
Some in her threeden fillet still did bide,
And trew to bondage would not breake from thence,"

That's original Shakespeare.

It's a very, very different language than what's ruse today.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#676564 Nov 30, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You don't pay much fkg attention to anything other than that stupid rant scrpt of yours.

I have never promoted "religion based legislation or education", moron. Atheists aren't the only ones who prefer our current separation of church and state status.

Try pulling your head out of your ass before reading my replies.
My sincere apologies for not following along all summer long. Been busy having fun.

Just for you, so I don't again draw your ire, I'll go back and read the last 4 months worth of posts.

I am so glad to see that you no longer wish to make abortion unavailable.

You've grown so much since I've been away.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#676565 Nov 30, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> So ignorant of you to think because we believe in God we believe in magic, come on grow up. Magic which is an illusion, you know, not real. Do you realize that people believe in God because he is real, which magic isn't, so why do you ignorantly use magic as a comparison. Listen, you can't prove that God doesn't exist, so why say these things. Asking another really lame question as who created God, come on, really. First of all if you have studied just a little bit you would know that he's not a created being, we are, he created us. He has ALWAYS EXYSTED. My friend you are lost . You need to go to the nearest Church of Christ and study and then be baptized so you can live forever. I would be happy to help you know the truth of the bible, just ask.
Dear, you do realize that my post was an almost word for word cut and paste of the post of the person I was responding to, right?

The person I was replying to was basically stating that god must exist because something must have created the incredibly complex human brain. I then changed a few words to turn the question back on him as it relates to god. The "magic" words were his.

If you pay closer attention, you won't look like quite such an idiot next time.

PS - you've yet to prove your god is real (and, no, just because a lot of people believe something doesn't mean its real. People used to believe the world was flat…)
But there is a God

London, KY

#676566 Nov 30, 2013
+++++++GOD NOW APPROVES OF SAME-SEX-MARRIAGE!!!+++++++ God has changed His mind regarding Homosexuality!. God can change His mind on matters if He wants to, there are instances in the Bible where God does just that!. This time is no different. God has certainly been answering the big Gays prayers lately!, with their recent Supreme Court victories and all. God wouldn't answer me, a Straight guy!. You know, I once asked God for a wife, 5 months later, He gave me a wh**e!. I do admit, I did used to blaspheme God a couple years on down before this, but I stopped this. I figured this was the reason God raped me. If God didn't want to give me a wife, He sure as Hell didn't have to give me that rotten wh**e!!!. Because God bestowed this evil upon me, my blaspheming Him returned with a vengence!!!. I lay it on old God now and I don't care if I do go burn forever, HAHAHAHAHA!!!. I blaspheme God real good now. I do it more then I ever did and I myself, is a might proud of that fact, HAHAHAHAHA!!!...GIVE ME ANOTHER WH**E GOD!!!!!!!!!.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#676567 Nov 30, 2013
Peaceful wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you measure darkness without the presence of light?
Please do inform: what are the units of measure for darkness?

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#676568 Nov 30, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
Please do inform: what are the units of measure for darkness?
By the absence of visible or ambient light. I would say there are nights that are dark, very dark and then there are nights it is pitch black.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#676569 Nov 30, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
By the absence of visible or ambient light. I would say there are nights that are dark, very dark and then there are nights it is pitch black.
ahhhh---

units?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#676570 Nov 30, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
Elizabethan English IS Modern English you colossal idiot.
Wrong.

Learn; http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Modern_E...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#676571 Nov 30, 2013
christINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
are you frikin brain dead?
The jury's out...

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#676572 Nov 30, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
ahhhh---
units?
We tend to measure it the other way, by the amount of light, the less light the more dark. Total absence of light is blackness.
This is not a religious concept.
Cold doesn't really exist either, but we still measure it.
But we look at this a bit differently, we don't measure a refrigerator by the absence of heat, but that's what it really is.
Since no one has really made a scale of darkness other than the Bortle scale, doesn't mean we can't refer to varying degrees of it.
InPlainView

Marietta, GA

#676573 Nov 30, 2013

coming Great & TERRIBLE Day of the Lord ---

http://youtu.be/s0aOSffFVYM

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#676574 Nov 30, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>How the hell these idiots claim to have read the Bible when they can't do Shakespeare baffles me.
The difference is between "claiming" and "doing".

Most Christians know little about the Bible. They read little of it and have no idea what little they do read means.

IMHO it proves they are liars.
Who on Earth convinced that a book was written by God would not memorize every single word, learn the original languages and spend every waking moment trying to understand it for themselves instead of taking a priest opinion about it ?

Makes no sense. I think 90% are just atheists in denial.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min Michael 596,262
The Christian Atheist debate 10 min Mr Wiggley 970
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 12 min Knock off purse s... 6,137
Whole Foods finally admits it ripped customers ... 18 min Knock off purse s... 7
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 19 min PortaBella ITA 40,701
Entering Heaven? 21 min Knock off purse s... 4
White Lives MATTER 22 min Knock off purse s... 23
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 26 min ChristineM 444,321
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 29 min PortaBella ITA 612,612
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 1 hr The swamiji 7,335
More from around the web