Prove there's a god.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#676370 Nov 27, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
i have some good news and some bad news for all my cyber girlfriends here-
the bad news is that i'm thinking about making 'six of one' my monogomous cyber-girlfriend:-(
the good news is that first there will be a competition!:-)
please submit your pics to me via private message and there will be extra points added based on how revealing and risque the pic is;)
good luck!
Yikes! Hmmm, I think I may defer...

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#676371 Nov 27, 2013
Happy Thanksgiving for those of you in the States and for the rest of you not in the states, I just wanted to let you know to have an awesome and wonderful day as well.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#676372 Nov 27, 2013
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
No proving any gods for sure, but thx. It's me from last week. I needed a new FB pic and wanted to look conservative. Plus it's getting to be winter and the sweater fits the right style.
NOT!
I am putting up a photo of the real me to end your torment... enjoy! Not quite as elegant, right?*sigh*

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#676373 Nov 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair enough. I like your honesty.
I'll try not to compare you to the other atheists.
<quoted text>
No. Only that some are.
<quoted text>
The jury's out.
<quoted text>
No.
Honestly, I believe that humans have an innate desire for a higher power and I believe that pretty much everyone's looking for it - including you.
<quoted text>
I'll say no to all.
Ask yourself the same questions.
<quoted text>
I'm a slow learner...
Plus I don't trust anyone or anything, so it's my fault.
Some people do have an innate desire to search for a higher power, and some don't. The parietal lobe appears to be involved in spirituality, and studies of people with damage to the right parietal lobe have shown that measures of spirituality increase in such cases. Additionally, some people are somewhat "hardwired" to assign agency to random events, and some people aren't. It is thought that this used to be an evolutionary advantage - in that it is less risky to assume that, for example, a sound coming from the trees is a tiger as opposed to the wind. Extrapolate this tendency and you have people who see "signs" from god in random events, and then you have those who tend not to make assumptions about those same events. If I, for example, experienced your "sign from god," (a strange feeling on my head), I absolutely would not decide that it must have been a god.

No, I am not looking for a higher power. It is not something that I consider to be a worthwhile pursuit - billions of people before me have spent their entire lives looking, and not a single person has found anything outside of a "feeling" that god exists. The best proof the entire species has come up with is the same "evidence" a schizophrenic person has for their delusions. That being said, it would be nice to believe that we all get to hang out with our loved ones that have gone before us, and it would be nice to believe that our lives are all part of some grand plan laid out by an infinitely powerful being who cares for each of us; so my lack of belief is not a result of me "not wanting to believe," (as you often say), it's because I am not prone to the type of thinking described above (assigning meaning to random events), and because I require evidence for my beliefs.

Ask myself if a pink unicorn affects my life? Or ask myself if society's overall belief in god affects my life? Because it most certainly does - ancient ideas are, inexplicably, still very influential today. Women are constantly in danger of some zealot gaining power and denying them their reproductive rights, and some are shamed into refraining from using contraceptives. Old ideas about justice are completely ingrained in our cultural consciousness, and as a result our justice system is more focused on punishment than rehabilitation, and our entire society is worse off for it. My money pledges fealty to a mythical being, and our nation's children are more or less forced to stand and pledge allegiance to god every morning during the pledge. The average religious person trusts a rapist or a murderer more than an atheist (they have done studies to this effect). So, if you found yourself in a similar situation, where your life and the lives of your loved ones, friends, and fellow human beings were affected by society's belief in a pink unicorn, would you not feel compelled to at least talk about it? And if you did speak out, wouldn't you consider it incredibly patronizing, condescending, and insulting if pink unicorn believers insisted that you only talk about it because you secretly, at some level, believe?

Location hidden

#676374 Nov 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That was your evidence of Caesar.
No, it wasn't. It was a piece of evidence.

Location hidden

#676375 Nov 27, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Far too many people fail to appreciate the inherent coolnes of nerdom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =cSLeBKT7-sMXX
xD
The BBT show is horrible. Terrible, terrible dreck made to appeal to "nerds." `

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#676376 Nov 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"It should be noted that the English word "evil" has no Ancient Hebrew equivelant, while most English translations will use the word "evil" it is usually the Hebrew word "ra" which simply means "bad". "
http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/12_goodbad.html
While "ra" is often translated as evil it is best translated as "dysfunctional".
http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/27_good.html
A modern definition for the word 'evil' from many modern dictionaries would tend to define the word 'evil' as morally bad, wrong, sinful, or wicked, to list just a few, but these words do not necessarily correctly describe either the Hebrew or the Greek.
http://assemblyoftrueisrael.com/Questions/The ...
In English a wicked person is one who does evil. But, in the Hebrew language rasha has a very different meaning.
http://deborah-sexton.hubpages.com/hub/Biblic ...
---
Keep in mind, we're talking about Ancient Hebrew, not English.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
There ya go – equivalent
Not a mistranslation at all then but a word translated into its equivalent in the target language.
Thank you
Actually no we you were claiming that evil was a mistranslation in the KJV when in actually fact, as you have proven it is an equivalent word
What?

"the English word "evil" has no Ancient Hebrew equivalent"

No equivalent.

You can't blame that misunderstanding on dyslexia.....

Location hidden

#676377 Nov 27, 2013
Subliminal Criminal wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude , I totally agree, that turning into lizards and sex between Janeway and Paris was awkward. I don't know how they looked at each other in any subsequent episode.
But 7 of 9, hubba, hubba!
It was glorious.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#676378 Nov 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Some people do have an innate desire to search for a higher power, and some don't. The parietal lobe appears to be involved in spirituality, and studies of people with damage to the right parietal lobe have shown that measures of spirituality increase in such cases. Additionally, some people are somewhat "hardwired" to assign agency to random events, and some people aren't. It is thought that this used to be an evolutionary advantage - in that it is less risky to assume that, for example, a sound coming from the trees is a tiger as opposed to the wind. Extrapolate this tendency and you have people who see "signs" from god in random events, and then you have those who tend not to make assumptions about those same events. If I, for example, experienced your "sign from god," (a strange feeling on my head), I absolutely would not decide that it must have been a god.
No, I am not looking for a higher power. It is not something that I consider to be a worthwhile pursuit - billions of people before me have spent their entire lives looking, and not a single person has found anything outside of a "feeling" that god exists. The best proof the entire species has come up with is the same "evidence" a schizophrenic person has for their delusions. That being said, it would be nice to believe that we all get to hang out with our loved ones that have gone before us, and it would be nice to believe that our lives are all part of some grand plan laid out by an infinitely powerful being who cares for each of us; so my lack of belief is not a result of me "not wanting to believe," (as you often say), it's because I am not prone to the type of thinking described above (assigning meaning to random events), and because I require evidence for my beliefs.
Ask myself if a pink unicorn affects my life? Or ask myself if society's overall belief in god affects my life? Because it most certainly does - ancient ideas are, inexplicably, still very influential today. Women are constantly in danger of some zealot gaining power and denying them their reproductive rights, and some are shamed into refraining from using contraceptives. Old ideas about justice are completely ingrained in our cultural consciousness, and as a result our justice system is more focused on punishment than rehabilitation, and our entire society is worse off for it. My money pledges fealty to a mythical being, and our nation's children are more or less forced to stand and pledge allegiance to god every morning during the pledge. The average religious person trusts a rapist or a murderer more than an atheist (they have done studies to this effect). So, if you found yourself in a similar situation, where your life and the lives of your loved ones, friends, and fellow human beings were affected by society's belief in a pink unicorn, would you not feel compelled to at least talk about it? And if you did speak out, wouldn't you consider it incredibly patronizing, condescending, and insulting if pink unicorn believers insisted that you only talk about it because you secretly, at some level, believe?
Thanks for the honest and non-patronising response. I don't have time to reply right now, got Thanksgiving stuff to do. I'll get back to you on Friday.
brightshininglik etheSUN

Portsmouth, VA

#676379 Nov 27, 2013
Topix, you are to post your comments & replies here now:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TNNBNFQ...
That above link is what you are to use and click on, now.
brightshininglik etheSUN

Portsmouth, VA

#676380 Nov 27, 2013
christINSANITY is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#676381 Nov 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Picasso was an atheist and he believed in souls.
Even one of our own resident atheists do:
"christINSANITY is EVIL | 11 hrs ago
so what?
i believed in souls and reincarnation also at one time,does it prove its real?"
Who's lying?
YOU are

I never said I believed in god,...only soul.

comprende?
christINSANITY is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#676382 Nov 27, 2013
brightshiningliketheSUN wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/top stories/TNNBNFQ6T6J1K868U
Prove there's a sun.
burden of proof FALLACY

Googl it
christINSANITY is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#676383 Nov 27, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
<quoted text>You're going to really hate yourself if you die without accepting the Lord Jesus Christ. You're going to be in hopeless torments in hell. Your SPIRITUAL EYES OF UNDERSTANDING will be FULLY OPENED by the AWFUL REALITY of being in a place that offers no hope of escape for Christ-rejecting human souls. You will see the Lord's face, upon Calvary's Cross, IN YOUR MIND, FOREVER AND EVER!!! You will be filled with shame and grief because you will finally REALIZE that you let Satan the Wicked One....STEAL YOUR SOUL through your UNBELEIF IN THE LORD JESUS CHRIST...Just keepin' it....REAL.
Doctor REALITY wrote:
<quoted text>4 REAL. Good night America and the rest of the world.
Porter ,youre certifiably INSANE

get help,pronto
christINSANITY is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#676384 Nov 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Even though there's no evidence for reincarnation?
Bad atheist. Bad.
no evidence
prove it

GO
Googl it

Portsmouth, VA

#676385 Nov 27, 2013
https://encrypted.google.com/#q=burden+of+pro...

http://www.lmgtfy.com/...
christINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
burden of proof FALLACY
Googl it
Maybe I should: Google it?
Google it

Portsmouth, VA

#676386 Nov 27, 2013
burden of proof
You said that the burden of proof lies not with the person making the claim, but with someone else to disprove.

The burden of proof lies with someone who is making a claim, and is not upon anyone else to disprove. The inability, or disinclination, to disprove a claim does not render that claim valid, nor give it any credence whatsoever. However it is important to note that we can never be certain of anything, and so we must assign value to any claim based on the available evidence, and to dismiss something on the basis that it hasn't been proven beyond all doubt is also fallacious reasoning.

Example: Bertrand declares that a teapot is, at this very moment, in orbit around the Sun between the Earth and Mars, and that because no one can prove him wrong, his claim is therefore a valid one.

Prove there's a sun.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#676387 Nov 27, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
sweetheart, you can be perfect in Christ just by receiving Him too!:)
Is he coming fed ex, UPS or just regular mail?

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#676388 Nov 27, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
yes it is - depending on what one imagines!
I'm imagining that package was lost in the mail.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#676389 Nov 27, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I really don’t know, I just remembered that first line of the Ceasar work from school. however I think it’s something along the lines of he-um, he-vi, he-em
Laffin.

Jesuit boarding school, I had.

Long time ago, and very far away.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 19 min Bongo 72,669
gays (Feb '11) 3 hr Jackie 29
James Comey's conflicted TWO FACES 4 hr Doctor REALITY 149
Cousin got a girlfriend from abroad. How to gr... 6 hr denis45 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 hr Michael 699,596
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 7 hr Johnny 447,495
Ex-girlfriend is asking to talk after months 8 hr alonzo36 1