Comments
640,801 - 640,820 of 733,192 Comments Last updated 9 min ago

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#675560 Nov 24, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Except, apparently, proving god exists...
That is why it is called faith

The Lord tells us to work out our own salvation and that doing good without knowing we are watched or will be held accountable is what makes us His beloved

In other words, if people could prove God existed then how much different might they act to ensure an after-life? But that is not obedience out of love. That is not doing what is right because it is the right thing to do

Those that seek God out have all they need to believe He exists. But it is specifically the lack of proof that ensures man will obey for the right reasons and not for self-serving ones

If you knew for a fact when you committed a crime you would be caught, would you do it? If you knew for a fact if you went 5 miles an hour over the speed-limit you would be pulled over and ticketed would you do it? Of course not. But people will do 10, 15, 20 mph over because they may get away with it

Same principle. God will judge us on our true selves

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#675561 Nov 24, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry.
I meant to suggest that perhaps this Satan fellow may be responsible for bad things happening.
Some "Christian" posters here actually believe there is a Satan at work.
According to the Bible God is the bad guy and Satan is not the bad guy. God killed every living thing on the earth and Satan only killed 6 people and it was God's fault he did those 6.

http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com/2006/...

"In a previous post, I counted the number of people that were killed by God in the Bible. I came up with 2,476,633, which, of course, greatly underestimates God's total death toll, since it only includes those killings for which specific numbers are given. No attempt was made to include the victims of Noah's flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, or the many plagues, famines, fiery serpents, etc., with which the good book is filled. Still, 2 million is a respectable number even for world class killers.
But how does this compare with Satan? How many did he kill in the Bible?
Well I can only find ten, and even these he shares with God, since God allowed him to do it as a part of a bet. I'm talking about the seven sons and three daughters of Job.

There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job ... And there were born unto him seven sons and three daughters.
And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? Then Satan answered the LORD ... put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face. And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.
And there was a day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house...And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.-- Job 1:1-19

So it seems that both Satan and God share the blame (or the credit) for these killings. If so, then the tally would be:

Killings
God 2,476,633
Satan 10

Location hidden

#675562 Nov 24, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
Matt. 19:23-24
Skombolis version: "it's really about prioritizing your faith over your money,"
God's version: "...it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"
Maybe Skombolis you should just write your own version and give us all a copy to save some time?
What is so hard for you to understand?

You have to keep reading one more verse to Matthew 9:26

This is exactly why (outside of it being dishonest) that you shouldn't plagiarize. Because you have no idea what the verses say in context and don't even understand what you are copying

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#675563 Nov 24, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I think you misunderstood me. I meant if we accept the christian god as described in the bible (omnipresent, omnipotent, and omniscient), then free will cannot exist. Therefore, either free will exists and your god is not able or not willing to prevent bad things (and he is therefore not a god as such or he is evil), or your god is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent - and free will doesn't exist.
No.

If God took away our free will, that would violate His nature. I don't think it's something He can choose.

Just like with us. You come to a bridge, you can choose to walk across it or not. What you CANNOT choose is to spread your wings and fly across it, your nature prevents that.

The Bible is clear that we not only have the ability to choose, we also have the responsibility to choose wisely.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#675564 Nov 24, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>No it isn't!
Are your parents responsible for the decisions you make because they created you?
Please use some common sense

My parents don't claim omnipotence, or to be the alpha omega either doofus.

Location hidden

#675565 Nov 24, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
And the irrefutable fact that they refuse to give anything proves that they are not real and true believers.
The Bible tells us what those who believe can do:
Mark 16:17-18, "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them: they shall lays hands on the sick, and they shall recover."
Many true believers have handled deadly snakes and drunk deadly poisons only to find the Bible is both erroneous and dangerous. Courts in Illinois, Tennessee, and elsewhere have repeatedly stopped practices of this nature because of the treat to life. Ask believers to drink poison or handle deadly snakes and one will quickly realize the extent to which even they do not take the book seriously. Mark 16:17-18 clearly states what they can do if they believe. Put them to the test, however, and you will witness a lot of rationalizing.
Plagiarized

http://www.mindserpent.com/American_History/r...

You have been doing this for years haven't you?

Even the stuff that doesn't look copied is

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#675566 Nov 24, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
The History Channel has been running an eye-opening series on the "Hidden Secrets of the Bible."
The episode this coming Wednesday night at 10:00 PM (Eastern, 7:00 PM Pacific) is gonna piss off a lot of fundies. I can hardly wait!
I am glad to hear that the History Channel is doing its share to piss off the fundies.

Location hidden

#675567 Nov 24, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is theory.
Deal with it.
Evolution is reality..deal with it!

Location hidden

#675568 Nov 24, 2013
timn17 wrote:
He would be more like a dictator if he ensured that most of his creations *didn't* suffer for eternity? I, for one, would happily take several decades of illusion for an eternity in paradise.
You'd make a terrible god.

You'd force your creations to do things they don't want to do.

God doesn't work that way.

Also, you are ignoring the main issue. That evil exists proves that your god either can't prevent it (so why call him god), or that he wills it (so he is evil).
False dilemma fallacy.

Try again.

Location hidden

#675569 Nov 24, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the Bible God is the bad guy and Satan is not the bad guy. God killed every living thing on the earth and Satan only killed 6 people and it was God's fault he did those 6.
http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com/2006/...
"In a previous post, I counted the number of people that were killed by God in the Bible. I came up with 2,476,633, which, of course, greatly underestimates God's total death toll, since it only includes those killings for which specific numbers are given. No attempt was made to include the victims of Noah's flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, or the many plagues, famines, fiery serpents, etc., with which the good book is filled. Still, 2 million is a respectable number even for world class killers.
But how does this compare with Satan? How many did he kill in the Bible?
Well I can only find ten, and even these he shares with God, since God allowed him to do it as a part of a bet. I'm talking about the seven sons and three daughters of Job.
There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job ... And there were born unto him seven sons and three daughters.
And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? Then Satan answered the LORD ... put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face. And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.
And there was a day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house...And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.-- Job 1:1-19
So it seems that both Satan and God share the blame (or the credit) for these killings. If so, then the tally would be:
Killings
God 2,476,633
Satan 10
Posters have Google already

You don't actually bring anything to the table do you?

Location hidden

#675570 Nov 24, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>That is why it is called faith
The Lord tells us to work out our own salvation and that doing good without knowing we are watched or will be held accountable is what makes us His beloved
In other words, if people could prove God existed then how much different might they act to ensure an after-life? But that is not obedience out of love. That is not doing what is right because it is the right thing to do
Those that seek God out have all they need to believe He exists. But it is specifically the lack of proof that ensures man will obey for the right reasons and not for self-serving ones
If you knew for a fact when you committed a crime you would be caught, would you do it? If you knew for a fact if you went 5 miles an hour over the speed-limit you would be pulled over and ticketed would you do it? Of course not. But people will do 10, 15, 20 mph over because they may get away with it
Same principle. God will judge us on our true selves

Deluding oneself is the ultimate brainwashing tool, takes all the work out of proving to you anything. Because you believe you will get in line sucker, and like it!

Location hidden

#675571 Nov 24, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
To Riverside Redneck:
Check out this following post.
<quoted text>
He says he's a christian; I believe him. What say you?
Are you proud to have him as one of your brothers in Christ?
I say he's a troll and don't pay no attention to him.

Why do you ?

Location hidden

#675572 Nov 24, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
We all know RR why you ignore the following verses and claim they were meant for someone else who gives a shit about what Jesus commands of them.
We all see through your smoke and mirrors.
All of the following verses apply to all Christians, the fact that you tap dance around them proves to everyone that you are not a real Christian but instead a KKKrist-insanity-ist.
"...none of you can be my disciple unless he gives up everything he has" Luke 14:33
"If you want to be perfect, go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor and you will have riches in heaven" Matt. 19:21
"Sell your possessions and give alms" Luke 12:33
"But give what is in your cups and plates to the poor, and everything will be clean for you" Luke 11:41
"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt,.... But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven.... for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Matt. 6:19-21
"How hardly shall they that have riches enter to the kingdom of God" Mark 10:23
"Truly, I say to you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" Matt. 19:23-24
A certain ruler told Jesus that he had obeyed all the commandments from his youth up. But, Jesus said, "Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me" Luke 18:22, Mark 10:21
Paul said, "For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as refuse, in order that I may gain Christ" (Phil. 3:8 RSV)
Plagiarized

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...

Location hidden

#675573 Nov 24, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
My parents don't claim omnipotence, or to be the alpha omega either doofus.
And that has nothing to do with personal responsibility

You really just are not quite there intellectually Aura when it comes to even the basic minimums for having conversations at an adult level with adult reasoning

Very basic things elude your grasp

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#675574 Nov 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called your putting your total trust in God now, and not at the last moment.
Breaking the bonds of dependence on men and their social systems for "life". You embark on a new adventure.
Dave, I can understand why you changed the subject. These verses all stand on their own in context and out of context and there is not a Christian on the earth who is going to love Jesus and obey these commandments of his. Not a one of you has it in you to love Jesus.

"...none of you can be my disciple unless he gives up everything he has" Luke 14:33
"If you want to be perfect, go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor and you will have riches in heaven" Matt. 19:21
"But give what is in your cups and plates to the poor, and everything will be clean for you" Luke 11:41
"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt,.... But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven.... for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Matt. 6:19-21
"Truly, I say to you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" Matt. 19:23-24
A certain ruler told Jesus that he had obeyed all the commandments from his youth up. But, Jesus said, "Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me" Luke 18:22, Mark 10:21

John 14:15 KJV, "If ye love me, keep my commandments."

Clearly nobody loves Jesus Dave, especially you.

Location hidden

#675575 Nov 24, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Judah and his men couldn't do it
You really don't understand the context or the difference between God doing something and thinking God's presence being with man doesn't mean He granted man all the powers of God?
That fact has been explained to Rev Anal plenty of times, Skom.

He doesn't want to debate, learn or teach. He just wants to be deceitful against the Bible.

I suggest you just scroll past his nonsense.

Location hidden

#675576 Nov 24, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Deluding oneself is the ultimate brainwashing tool, takes all the work out of proving to you anything. Because you believe you will get in line sucker, and like it!
Again,just didn't even come close to comprehending the point

I think I will have to do what everyone else does and scroll on byl you can at least contribute

Location hidden

#675577 Nov 24, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
I am glad to hear that the History Channel is doing its share to piss off the fundies.
Yeah I was surprised to find out the Jesus and the whore story a insertion.
A complete insertion, by order of King James. How can anyone believe in a book that is translated to mean exactly what people want it to, is 50% bull ship stories and 2% insertions and 48% historical fiction is the word of god? Complete delusion is the way, only if you completely ignore reality can you believe a mud poe man and rib bone woman ate a magical fruit recommended by a talking snake. So they could die for being created by a an invisible skydaddy, who will come to Earth and die for our sins so he can forgive us for everything. Insanity

Location hidden

#675578 Nov 24, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave, I can understand why you changed the subject. These verses all stand on their own in context and out of context and there is not a Christian on the earth who is going to love Jesus and obey these commandments of his. Not a one of you has it in you to love Jesus.
John 14:15 KJV, "If ye love me, keep my commandments."
Clearly nobody loves Jesus Dave, especially you.
Plagiarized from Yahoo Answers - Atheists: is it possible for you to force yourself to believe in and follow Christianity?

Location hidden

#675579 Nov 24, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
And the Bible contains contradictions, absurdities, fallacies, inconsistencies and other errors.
One of great weaknesses of the Bible lies in the fact that it contains tangible mechanisms by which to refute its truthfulness. Within it pages are verses which can be used to test the book's validity. They can be generally grouped under two broad headings--those involving tremendous powers given to believers and those involving powers attendant to prayer and requests. The most prominent verses within the first category are Mark 16:17-18, "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them: they shall lays hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Many true believers have handled deadly snakes and drunk deadly poisons only to find the Bible is both erroneous and dangerous. Courts in Illinois, Tennessee, and elsewhere have repeatedly stopped practices of this nature because of the treat to life. Ask believers to drink poison or handle deadly snakes and one will quickly realize the extent to which even they do not take the book seriously. Mark 16:17-18 clearly states what they can do if they believe. Put them to the test, however, and you will witness a lot of rationalizing.
Plagiarized

Yahoo Answers - Testing the Bible

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 2 min andet1987 469
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 min Insults Are Easier 258,069
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min dr Shrink 539,165
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 6 min Johnny 2,448
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 10 min Peace_Warrior 600,004
Good bye Michael Sam 12 min yon 1
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 15 min Stephania 441,191
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 18 min Patrick 226,389
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr JUDEletePete 118,007
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••