Prove there's a god.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#675248 Nov 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Take your pills.
"Which is Christianity is the only bad thing humans have believed in?"

Are you under the impression that that makes sense?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#675249 Nov 22, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>If that's weren't what you were implying, then nevermind. It's wrong to say that they contain guesses though. A theory is what we have far, far after someone has made a hypothesis, which isn't really a guess anyway.
Theories contain hypotheses.

A hypothesis is an educated guess.

In effect, theories have guesses.

I merely summarized.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#675250 Nov 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You provided opinions.
I asked for evidence.
You want evidence against your stupid ignorant false teaching of a Bible? Here is evidence:

Genesis 22:1 ("And it came to pass after these things that God did tempt Abraham....")
versus
James 1:13 ("For God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man")

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#675251 Nov 22, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"Which is Christianity is the only bad thing humans have believed in?"
Are you under the impression that that makes sense?
"And you are ....avoiding the subject matter at hand."

Which combined with the prior posts to that does.

This was a running dialogue. Pay attention, mac.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#675252 Nov 22, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>It's funny how sometimes those stories from the bible only apply to the specific person they are addressed to, and sometimes they are meant for everyone. Why does jesus tell parables and stories if they are only applicable in a very narrow context?
Also, that story is not the admonition regarding giving found in the bible. The old widow story comes to mind. It doesn't deal directly with giving to the poor, but it suggests that you should give absolutely all that you can manage and then some.
The Bible is clear that you must give EVERYTHING not just "all you can manage", what part of the following is not clear?

"...none of you can be my disciple unless he gives up everything he has" Luke 14:33
"If you want to be perfect, go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor and you will have riches in heaven" Matt. 19:21
"Sell your possessions and give alms" Luke 12:33
"But give what is in your cups and plates to the poor, and everything will be clean for you" Luke 11:41
"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt,.... But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven.... for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Matt. 6:19-21
"How hardly shall they that have riches enter to the kingdom of God" Mark 10:23
"Truly, I say to you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" Matt. 19:23-24
A certain ruler told Jesus that he had obeyed all the commandments from his youth up. But, Jesus said, "Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me" Luke 18:22, Mark 10:21

Paul said, "For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as refuse, in order that I may gain Christ" (Phil. 3:8 RSV)

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#675253 Nov 22, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You're actually [RR] a pretty standard christian.
A standard Christian would be someone who does bad unto others knowing he is really doing it to Jesus.

JESUS: Matthew 25:40 MARY “Truly I tell you, whatever you do to the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you do to me.”

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#675254 Nov 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think ...
Prov. 12:22, "Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord."

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#675255 Nov 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that when you atheists read a Bible passage, you're envisioning the POTUS looking at a camera and speaking to the whole nation.
Sometimes that's true.
Most times it's not.
You'd be wise to at least understand that there is a difference.
We all know RR why you ignore the following verses and claim they were meant for someone else who gives a shit about what Jesus commands of them.

We all see through your smoke and mirrors.

All of the following verses apply to all Christians, the fact that you tap dance around them proves to everyone that you are not a real Christian but instead a KKKrist-insanity-ist.

"...none of you can be my disciple unless he gives up everything he has" Luke 14:33
"If you want to be perfect, go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor and you will have riches in heaven" Matt. 19:21
"Sell your possessions and give alms" Luke 12:33
"But give what is in your cups and plates to the poor, and everything will be clean for you" Luke 11:41
"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt,.... But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven.... for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Matt. 6:19-21
"How hardly shall they that have riches enter to the kingdom of God" Mark 10:23
"Truly, I say to you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" Matt. 19:23-24
A certain ruler told Jesus that he had obeyed all the commandments from his youth up. But, Jesus said, "Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me" Luke 18:22, Mark 10:21

Paul said, "For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as refuse, in order that I may gain Christ" (Phil. 3:8 RSV)

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#675256 Nov 22, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I for one support their valiant crusade to ensure nary a head is touched by an unlicensed charlatan.
I know I am going to hell but I once road in an unlicensed taxi cab in NYC.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#675257 Nov 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct.
Scientific theories contain facts, laws, observation, guesses, speculation, assertion, etc.
And the Bible contains contradictions, absurdities, fallacies, inconsistencies and other errors.

One of great weaknesses of the Bible lies in the fact that it contains tangible mechanisms by which to refute its truthfulness. Within it pages are verses which can be used to test the book's validity. They can be generally grouped under two broad headings--those involving tremendous powers given to believers and those involving powers attendant to prayer and requests. The most prominent verses within the first category are Mark 16:17-18, "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them: they shall lays hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Many true believers have handled deadly snakes and drunk deadly poisons only to find the Bible is both erroneous and dangerous. Courts in Illinois, Tennessee, and elsewhere have repeatedly stopped practices of this nature because of the treat to life. Ask believers to drink poison or handle deadly snakes and one will quickly realize the extent to which even they do not take the book seriously. Mark 16:17-18 clearly states what they can do if they believe. Put them to the test, however, and you will witness a lot of rationalizing.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#675258 Nov 22, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, I'm imagining a spiritual teacher relaying a message to someone, and I am imagining that this teacher relays said message for a purpose. I am imagining that jesus didn't just ramble endlessly, and that when he told a story it was meant to impart a lesson of some sort. I also imagine that the people who transcribed this stuff thought it was important enough to write down. Why do you think you get to pick and choose whether or not to obey your god?
Good question. RR treats the Bible like a smorgasbord. The problem with this approach lies not only in an oft-noted failure to practice what he preachs, but an equally pronounced tendency to ignore what the Bible itself, preaches. Biblicists such as RR, practice what can only be described as "selective morality". What they like, they expound; what they don't like, they ignore, even though the validity or strength of one is no less than that of the other. That which is palatable and acceptable is supposedly applicable to all; while that which is obnoxious, inconvenient, or self-denying is only applicable to those addresed 2,000 years ago. They enjoy quoting the Ten Commandments, the Sermon on the Mount, and some of Paul's preachings, for example, but don't pretend to heed other, equally valid, maxims.

And still RR believes he should be taken seriously. That is completely retarded.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#675259 Nov 22, 2013
DeAngelo of Memphis wrote:
<quoted text>Your ignorance rings loudly!!! "What is an evolutionist?" I'm not gonna answer what is known..maybe U used some time to vent on your last post because it wasn't even close to the response that would be relevant to my statement. There, there my boy, or girl, or whatever...calm down!!!!
Obviously, I know what you mean by evolutionist. You missed the point entirely though. Referring to someone as an "evolutionist" is just as asinine as referring to someone as a "gravitologist." I am not defined by my acceptance of one of the most accepted scientific theories ever created, just as you are not defined by your acceptance of the existence of gravity.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#675260 Nov 22, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is clear that you must give EVERYTHING not just "all you can manage", what part of the following is not clear?
"...none of you can be my disciple unless he gives up everything he has" Luke 14:33
"If you want to be perfect, go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor and you will have riches in heaven" Matt. 19:21
"Sell your possessions and give alms" Luke 12:33
"But give what is in your cups and plates to the poor, and everything will be clean for you" Luke 11:41
"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt,.... But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven.... for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Matt. 6:19-21
"How hardly shall they that have riches enter to the kingdom of God" Mark 10:23
"Truly, I say to you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" Matt. 19:23-24
A certain ruler told Jesus that he had obeyed all the commandments from his youth up. But, Jesus said, "Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me" Luke 18:22, Mark 10:21
Paul said, "For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as refuse, in order that I may gain Christ" (Phil. 3:8 RSV)
That's what I meant by "and then some," but I admit it wasn't very clear.

And as your quotes illustrate, yes, the bible demands that believers give everything.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#675261 Nov 22, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
I know I am going to hell but I once road in an unlicensed taxi cab in NYC.
Sickening.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#675262 Nov 22, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>That's what I meant by "and then some," but I admit it wasn't very clear.
And as your quotes illustrate, yes, the bible demands that believers give everything.
But wouldn't you agree that Jesus didn’t rebuke friends who owned property or command them to sell their homes and businesses. In fact, He often ate with people and stayed at their homes. Friends like Mary and Martha or Zacchaeus the publican were clearly not among the poor. He was even buried in the newly excavated tomb of Joseph of Arimathea, a wealthy member of the Sanhedrin.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#675263 Nov 22, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
But wouldn't you agree that Jesus didn’t rebuke friends who owned property or command them to sell their homes and businesses. In fact, He often ate with people and stayed at their homes. Friends like Mary and Martha or Zacchaeus the publican were clearly not among the poor. He was even buried in the newly excavated tomb of Joseph of Arimathea, a wealthy member of the Sanhedrin.
So, what's the message? If he likes you, you can forget about all that "eye of the needle" nonsense, but if you're a stranger to him, you'd be start giving?

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#675264 Nov 22, 2013
*better start*

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#675265 Nov 22, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>So, what's the message? If he likes you, you can forget about all that "eye of the needle" nonsense, but if you're a stranger to him, you'd be start giving?
I think the basic message was you can't buy your way into heaven. It's a soul commitment thing. The difference between lip service and hip service.

You have to take those things in context. Those are snippets put together, not a story.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#675266 Nov 22, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
You want evidence against your stupid ignorant false teaching of a Bible? Here is evidence:
Genesis 22:1 ("And it came to pass after these things that God did tempt Abraham....")
versus
James 1:13 ("For God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man")
If you look at most of the major translations you will see it says "test" not tempt. But it is the context that is more important.

Genesis is about testing Abraham's faith not tempting him to sin. A burnt offering was not a sin

James is talking about tempting a man to do evil. That does not mean a man can not have his faith put to the test by God. In fact, look at the verse directly before the one you quoted in James:

James 1:12
"Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him."

There is no contradiction

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#675267 Nov 22, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>So, what's the message? If he likes you, you can forget about all that "eye of the needle" nonsense, but if you're a stranger to him, you'd be start giving?
Eye of the needle..... Timn, Jesus deliberately drew a ludicrous picture to make a strong impression on those who heard Him. He wanted His disciples to recognize that riches can be a great hindrance to salvation. Then, to make it clear that not all wealthy people reject salvation, He added,“With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Through the working of the Holy Spirit, even rich people sometimes acknowledge their spiritual poverty, repent of their sins, and follow Christ

.... the message is what is important to us or what is the purpose that possessions play in our lives. We are not to allow poessesions to become our "God" or to be looking at possessions to be our security in our lives.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 2 min RIP 53,367
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Phooey 693,587
Got my ex pregnant before break up. What do I do? 8 min Brice N Livingston 2
Is God a "Bully" sometimes? 9 min Puttin Brother 55
Can Chinese girls date foreign men? 1 hr ezekiel11 1
Who are the most racist people towards inter-ra... 2 hr Doctor REALITY 15
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 4 hr Halle Berry Sister 4,474
Skype gay sex (Dec '14) Mon dirtyguy34 35
More from around the web