“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#674434 Nov 18, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>It doesn't matter that the bible got some historical facts right. Of course it did. It wasn't written in a vacuum. I could write a book proclaiming myself as lord, and me getting my geography right would lend no credence to my claim.
The more glaring issue is that, even though it does get some stuff right, it also gets a lot wrong. How is that possible? Wasn't it inspired by god? And if you want to chalk it up to men messing with it, then you can't use the things it gets right as proof of anything.
But TIMN..... OCB said that nothing in the Bible was historically correct. That was my main objection. So you disagree with her I see.....

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#674435 Nov 18, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Seriously, what?
The post is right there, timn.

You can read.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#674436 Nov 18, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
But TIMN..... OCB said that nothing in the Bible was historically correct. That was my main objection. So you disagree with her I see.....
OCd is a windbag.

#674437 Nov 18, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>So, a megalomaniacal dictator showed disdain towards a group that resisted his power. Crazy. There are conflicting accounts and not enough evidence either way to say for sure what he was. And it doesn't matter anyway, because as I previously mentioned, the vast majority of the people who followed him were christian. Whatever motive you may have for painting him as anti theist is overshadowed by that fact.
Hitler was as charming to his German citizenry as he was cunning.

Hitler was a "feel good dictator," a leader who not only made Germans feel important, but also made sure they were well cared-for by the state. he gave them huge tax breaks and introduced social benefits that even today anchor the society. He also ensured that even in the last days of the war not a single German went hungry.

Despite near-constant warfare, never once during his 12 years in power did Hitler raise taxes for working class people. He also (in great contrast to World War I) particularly pampered soldiers and their families, offering them more than double the salaries and benefits that American and British families received. Most Germans saw Nazism as a "warm-hearted" protector.

It doesn't in any way make it right for the atrocities that he committed, but what about all the Christian Americans and Brits that went to war to stop him. Don't they count as good Christians that did what they felt was morally right to stop a madman, or does that throw a Monkey wrench in the works?

To say that he appealed only the the Christian Germans would be a bold untruth, he appealed to ALL Germans religious or not.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#674438 Nov 18, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Relly, Al....so if one says they read a work of fiction that took place in NYC for instance, the book really isn't a work of fiction because NYC is a real place?

I didn't think I had to spell out exactly what I meant when I said that there isn't anything in the bible that is historically correct.

I meant the events in the bible- such as Adam and Eve, the flood, the earth being created in 6 days, etc.

Obviously I didn't mean geographical places that were proven to exist having absolutely nothing to do with being mentioned in the bible.

So if you want to nit pick or if you want me to admit I was wrong to not be more specific in what I meant, then I admit I was wrong.

Yes, timn or anyone else who basically holds the same views as I do on most things may disagree with me and I with them- so?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#674439 Nov 18, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> OCd is a windbag.
Shut up, you nonsensical drunkard.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#674440 Nov 18, 2013
Oops! Should be *Really* Al....

#674441 Nov 18, 2013
OCB wrote:
Oops! Should be *Really* Al....
No worries kiddo....I'm not a Grammar Nazi...:)

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#674442 Nov 18, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
No worries kiddo....I'm not a Grammar Nazi...:)
No Al, you aren't.

But Catcher is always watching.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#674443 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Not publicly.
He was too smart to do that.
The Christian Germans 'needed' a Christian leader.
So he acted the part.
Just like Paul!

Except Paul's followers murdered over 100 times as many innocents as Hitler did.

#674444 Nov 18, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Relly, Al....so if one says they read a work of fiction that took place in NYC for instance, the book really isn't a work of fiction because NYC is a real place?
I didn't think I had to spell out exactly what I meant when I said that there isn't anything in the bible that is historically correct.
I meant the events in the bible- such as Adam and Eve, the flood, the earth being created in 6 days, etc.
Obviously I didn't mean geographical places that were proven to exist having absolutely nothing to do with being mentioned in the bible.
So if you want to nit pick or if you want me to admit I was wrong to not be more specific in what I meant, then I admit I was wrong.
Yes, timn or anyone else who basically holds the same views as I do on most things may disagree with me and I with them- so?
BTW.... I was nit picking just to prove my point.

The question is since theirs was mostly an orally transmitted history, much of what what was spoken had to be easily understood and remembered. Take the beginnings of the world and dawn of humanity (Genesis). How many here knows what follows the words "In the Beginning...."

It repeats itself again as the history was told in a narrative fashion that many of who told the stories were well versed by those who told them to preserve their history.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#674445 Nov 18, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>...
Why is it so unbelievable to you that a christian could be a bad person?
RR thinks he is God. "I am never wrong and anyone who disagrees with me is an evil liar."

However, within a few pages he will prove himself a liar and a moron with his own posts.

Such is the insanity of these christer trolls.
All they do is prove their "beliefs" are a load of shit.

#674447 Nov 18, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No Al, you aren't.
But Catcher is always watching.
But peeking through the windows can be kinda creepy...:P

LOL!!!

#674448 Nov 18, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW.... I was nit picking just to prove my point.
The question is since theirs was mostly an orally transmitted history, much of what what was spoken had to be easily understood and remembered. Take the beginnings of the world and dawn of humanity (Genesis). How many here knows what follows the words "In the Beginning...."
It repeats itself again as the history was told in a narrative fashion that many of who told the stories were well versed by those who told them to preserve their history.
My own post even left me scratching my fool head.......

What I meant to say was the story telling of their history was told by those who knew ot well enough not to change the words.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#674449 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That Hitler *was* a Christian just like timn & booots *were* Christians.
"Once a Christian, always a Christian" is horse shit.
So the Protestants preaching 'Once Saved Always Saved' are God forsaken liars ?

Your stance is like every other Christer that comes here, you are the only "Real Christian" everyone else calling themselves a Christian is a liar and a fraud.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#674450 Nov 18, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
My own post even left me scratching my fool head.......
What I meant to say was the story telling of their history was told by those who knew ot well enough not to change the words.
Even an oral history will get changed because the language changes. Mixes of people and relevance of terms. Some oral recorders will have to change some words just because no one knows what the old ones meant, and they may be a bit wrong. They happen after the language changes. You go from a nomadic herdsman society to a settled city and there are some things the city dwellers just won't grasp. This applies to all languages, oral and written. Things have to be translated to current usage and understanding.

That is why you can't be literal. You have to pick the meaning out of them. You have to get the gist of the story and put it into a perspective you can understand relating to today accounting for the very same people as we are today, but in a different environment and perspective. Failures in translation does not mean events did not occur. In fact the events probably did occur because they have been passed down so long. Every generation will ask what does this have to do with me here and now.

Nitpicking over words recorded over long periods of time is the heighth of stupidity. Look how our language changes from generation to generation. Look how Topix atheists have tried to change the definition of atheist almost overnight.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#674451 Nov 18, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler was as charming to his German citizenry as he was cunning.
Hitler was a "feel good dictator," a leader who not only made Germans feel important, but also made sure they were well cared-for by the state. he gave them huge tax breaks and introduced social benefits that even today anchor the society. He also ensured that even in the last days of the war not a single German went hungry.
Despite near-constant warfare, never once during his 12 years in power did Hitler raise taxes for working class people. He also (in great contrast to World War I) particularly pampered soldiers and their families, offering them more than double the salaries and benefits that American and British families received. Most Germans saw Nazism as a "warm-hearted" protector.
It doesn't in any way make it right for the atrocities that he committed, but what about all the Christian Americans and Brits that went to war to stop him. Don't they count as good Christians that did what they felt was morally right to stop a madman, or does that throw a Monkey wrench in the works?
To say that he appealed only the the Christian Germans would be a bold untruth, he appealed to ALL Germans religious or not.
If Hitler had not been antisemitic, he would be hailed today as a great leader and the USA would have probably stayed out of Europe.
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

#674452 Nov 18, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
If Hitler had not been antisemitic, he would be hailed today as a great leader and the USA would have probably stayed out of Europe.
Leader of what?
God is our only leader.
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

#674453 Nov 18, 2013
It is the Christmas season.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#674454 Nov 18, 2013
Forum wrote:
It is the Christmas season.
Dude, it's not even Thanksgiving yet.

Catcher white sheet drops.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 14 min Rosa_Winkel 99,727
This ~ or ~ That? (game) (Dec '12) 38 min andet1987 1,837
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 40 min par five 4,082
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 1 hr The swamiji 7,155
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 1 hr The swamiji 1,427
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr lightbeamrider 176,756
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Tony17 589,351
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr Porkpie Hat 271,262
More from around the web