Prove there's a god.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#674457 Nov 18, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
But TIMN..... OCB said that nothing in the Bible was historically correct. That was my main objection. So you disagree with her I see.....
Oh ok, I didn't know she said that. Never mind then. Either way, I don't think it really matters what it gets right. Lots of holy books get things right.

Location hidden

#674458 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what you're right on?
It doesn't really matter.
Huh?

Location hidden

#674459 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The post is right there, timn.
You can read.
Yes, and I'm quite confused why you are asserting that "the bible gets everything right." That's ludicrous.

Location hidden

#674460 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The post is right there, timn.
You can read.
Or rather, I'm quite confused why you're asserting that the bible gets nothing wrong. Same thing pretty much.

Location hidden

#674461 Nov 18, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler was as charming to his German citizenry as he was cunning.
Hitler was a "feel good dictator," a leader who not only made Germans feel important, but also made sure they were well cared-for by the state. he gave them huge tax breaks and introduced social benefits that even today anchor the society. He also ensured that even in the last days of the war not a single German went hungry.
Despite near-constant warfare, never once during his 12 years in power did Hitler raise taxes for working class people. He also (in great contrast to World War I) particularly pampered soldiers and their families, offering them more than double the salaries and benefits that American and British families received. Most Germans saw Nazism as a "warm-hearted" protector.
It doesn't in any way make it right for the atrocities that he committed, but what about all the Christian Americans and Brits that went to war to stop him. Don't they count as good Christians that did what they felt was morally right to stop a madman, or does that throw a Monkey wrench in the works?
To say that he appealed only the the Christian Germans would be a bold untruth, he appealed to ALL Germans religious or not.
I'm not claiming that he appealed to only german christians, or that there is something about being a christian that makes one susceptible to commiting atrocities. Nor am I saying that the fact that there were german nazis condemns christianity as a whole.

My point is that there is no reason to bicker over whether or not hitler was a "true christian." He may have been and he may not have been. If the reason people claim he wasn't a christian is because they can't reconcile christianity with such reprehensible behavior, this sentiment is invalidated by the fact that many of those who followed him were in fact christian.

Again, I don't think that this says anything about christianity as a whole - except that there is no reason why a christian can't commit evil acts.

Location hidden

#674462 Nov 18, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
RR thinks he is God. "I am never wrong and anyone who disagrees with me is an evil liar."
However, within a few pages he will prove himself a liar and a moron with his own posts.
Such is the insanity of these christer trolls.
All they do is prove their "beliefs" are a load of shit.
Indeed.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#674463 Nov 18, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the point that was missed here OCB was that I was not berating a Buddhist about his beliefs and making up crap about his religion or beliefs that weren't true like Alan does.
I also have to respectfully disagree about there not being any historical truth in the Bible. Hebrews never existed? Rome did not exist? Nebakanezer and Babylon did not exist? Egypt? And so on and so forth.
You did say that there was no proof of "Anything"
With all due respect, I say you are mistaken.
There IS some truth in the Bible....historical figures and places are described and they are mostly true. However, many of the stories in the Old Testament are NOT true and it can be proven that they are not.

Of course we all understand that the age of the universe and earth is not 6,000+ years old. We know beyond doubt that the universe is 13+ billion years old and the earth 4+ billion years old. Yes, many estimates were wrong in the past, but they didn't have access to the many tools and procedures that is available to the sciences now and were, at the time, just guesses.

We now understand that the supposed works and exploits of Moses was probably written by people in or around 700-500 BC, long after he was supposed to have lived. The authorship of the Pentateuch has long been doubted, and modern critical analysis by Biblical scholars has determined that 'Moses' was not the author....at least 4 different people were responsible.

So the first 5 books of the Bible also have the stories of Adam and Eve....disproven by the bone and DNA evidence.

The Noachian Flood....disproven by 400 years of accumulated evidence, in dozens and dozens of different scientific disciplines.

The Exodus of a million plus Hebrews from Egypt has been disproven by the TOTAL lack of evidence in Egypt of them being there in such numbers, and the TOTAL lack of ANY archaeological evidence in the Sinai desert that so many people traversed it for 40 years.

Same problem with Joshua's supposed conquering of so many Canaanite cities....no archaeological evidence for such happening in the time slots that the Bible indicates....none.

Then there is the Tower of Babel story. The Bible indicates it happened a few hundred years after the 'Flood' The problem is this puts this mythical story at around 2000 BC, and there is tremendous and real evidence that mankind was scattered ALL over the globe, on ALL continents except Antarctica. I really doubt that they were grunting at each other.

All of these Biblical stories are totally disproven and combine to say to any logical thinking person that the OT is just a collection of man-made lies....or 'myths' if you prefer. I invite you to look at the scientific evidence and try to prove that what I am saying is wrong.

All of the arguments that go on here are just chaff and do nothing to prove the fundamentalist side....your arguments are moot in the face of the overwhelming evidence that the Hebrew foundational myths are just that....myths, with no truth behind them. Why I wonder do 52% of Jews no longer believe in their own 'god'???

The New Testament depends on the Old Testament being true....and it isn't....it is a collection of nothing more than old tribal stories that demonstrably have NO truth to them.

And yes the Hebrews,Rome, Babylon, Egypt, and Nebuchadnezzar did exist, but the truth behind these old stories did not.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#674464 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
timn17 wrote:
Huh?
Sorry, my bad lol.

What I meant is that you're right in that Hitler's religious beliefs doesn't really matter.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#674465 Nov 18, 2013
thewordofme wrote:

There IS some truth in the Bible....historical figures and places are described and they are mostly true. However, many of the stories in the Old Testament are NOT true and it can be proven that they are not.
Of course we all understand that the age of the universe and earth is not 6,000+ years old.{{{SNIP}}}
The OT doesn't give an age of the earth.

Since you got that wrong, I'm just gonna assume the rest is wrong, too.

Probably biased as well.

Location hidden

#674466 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, my bad lol.
What I meant is that you're right in that Hitler's religious beliefs doesn't really matter.
Yes.
Greens - tuf

Australia

#674467 Nov 19, 2013
Forum wrote:
It is the Christmas season.
The first thing that comes to mind is ,
"Oh great, I have to go buy Christmas presents with money I don't have for people I don't even like "

What's up with that ?
Greens - tuf

Australia

#674468 Nov 19, 2013
Forum wrote:
<quoted text>
Leader of what?
God is our only leader.
And what , he lead you to Topix ?
Greens - tuf

Australia

#674469 Nov 19, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
You're up late for a school night. Parents don't give a shit, huh?
That explains a lot. You poor child.
Dude, why are you talking to school girls ?

Does you're wife know ?
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

#674472 Nov 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, it's not even Thanksgiving yet.
Catcher white sheet drops.
I put up my Christmas tree.
Its the Holidays.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#674473 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't find something that's not there.
I've never said that I wasn't a believer until my experience.
But hey, thanks for the honesty.
Let's see if OCB can handle it, we know Chris won't, she'll prolly just tell us how much she doesn't care instead of acknowledging the truth.
Hmm, it seems you are the one who says they don’t care

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
MideastGlobalNew s

Marietta, GA

#674474 Nov 19, 2013

ISRAEL ready to BUILD 3rd TEMPLE (News)---

http://youtu.be/xvextfQLwNg

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#674475 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably biased as well.
So those 'Christians' claiming the Earth is 6000 years old aren't 'real Christians' either.

Amazing how you are the only Real Christian on Earth.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#674476 Nov 19, 2013
Forum wrote:
<quoted text>
I put up my Christmas tree.
Its the Holidays.
Why? Because retailers tell you so as they hammer TV with Christmas ads?

Why? Because stores are already selling Christmas decorations?

Why? Because they're already selling trees?

All the Christmas trappings out there so prematurely are out there for the MONEY and not for the "season".

And your tree will be dropping needles like crazy by Christmas- LOL!!

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#674477 Nov 19, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh ok, I didn't know she said that. Never mind then. Either way, I don't think it really matters what it gets right. Lots of holy books get things right.
Al knew what I meant and did say he was nit picking.

I think it should be obvious that I wasn't saying geographical places mentioned in the bible were not historically correct.

As I later posted to Al, I was referring to events in the bible, such as Adam and Eve, the flood, the earth being created in 6 days, etc.

That there are geographical places in the bible which are historically correct doesn't negate the bible being a work of fiction.

As I said to Al, if a novel takes place in NYC, does that mean the novel is NOT a work of fiction because it is fact that NYC exists?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#674478 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably biased as well.
Damn! Currently 8:11AM eastern time.

You posted the above 6 hours ago which was 2:11AM Eastern time and 11:11PM Pacific time.

Some great life you have, RR.

You are now officially on Topix morning, noon and NIGHT.

Pathetic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Homeowners lose Katrina insurance flood case (Aug '06) 4 min DBullock 12
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min truth 665,632
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 30 min crucifiedguy 284,739
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 33 min It aint necessari... 723
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr WildWeirdWillie 184,820
donald trump will not fulfill all campaign prom... 2 hr crucifiedguy 62
women watching men naked on webcam (Mar '12) 3 hr str8hairymarried 85
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 hr truth 88,545
The Future of Politics in America 6 hr River Tam 313
More from around the web