“Filia Spartacus”

Since: Jun 13

Libertas

#669181 Oct 30, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
I have no problem believing in 'God'.
I do have a problem with people's lack of evidence for their explanations of what "God" is.
I believe in Lightening.
I have a problem with the belief that Thor casts lightening bolts from the clouds.
The Christians even pinched the lightning bolts from Thor. Warn their kids that their God will hit them with one if they offend him.
Mexican Princess

Wheaton, IL

#669182 Oct 30, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't do your homework. If you really wanted to know the truth of these things we talk about on the forum you would research it yourself.
I have been researching and learning about this stuff for years and I am not trying to mislead anybody. It is the scientific consensus that I pass on here, not my opinions.
Besides this forum is to limited in scope to list it all.
If you are really interested you will do the work.
Richard Dawkins is a bona fide scientist
Sorry, it goes like this... Any scientist who doesn't use bad science to discredit evolution and the big bang theory isn't a bona fide scientist.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#669183 Oct 30, 2013
chance47 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinion is yours for sure. I disagree with it. If it is not possible to simultaneously know both a particle's exact location and exact velocity then how could one realistically believe that humans are capable of eventually unlocking all knowledge? The uncertainty principle highlights a simple point of departure of ability to measure. Inability to measure clearly inhibits ability to know.
This is actually very simple and NOT nonsensical despite your preference to dismiss it.
And exactly how else would you suggest to define "know everything"? If you say knowledge is limited to that which we can know then you have quite a weak and circular definition.
Besides, the assertion was not initially mine. Someone else claimed that given enough time and determination humans could know everything (!).
Just exactly what do you suspect that poster meant by know everything? How possibly do you think the uncertainty principle is anything but a perfect example to respond with? It clearly was appropriate and that is why I don't agree with your opinion.
The uncertainty principle is about particle/wave duality.
You can't pinpoint the speed and position of an electron or photon along the wave front , unless you collapse the wave. This is because it is at all positions simultaneously. The best you can do is determine the % of probability of it's location. But this has been taken farther now , and the probability has been mapped to a science of averages . Here are a few things that show you what the uncertainty means, in wave particle duality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_function_co...

http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/252/...

This one is what we know now, that we didn't know since the turn of the century, and about wave collapse in 1980.

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110602/full/n...

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#669184 Oct 30, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Me ? no.... tHAT was what Riverdude said.
That's an answer to a question other than the one I was trying to ask.

I'm happy about it! Just isn't what I was asking.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#669185 Oct 30, 2013
Don't think it answered my question.

Maybe it does?

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#669186 Oct 30, 2013
"Someone else claimed that given enough time and determination humans could know everything (!).
Just exactly what do you suspect that poster meant by know everything? How possibly do you think the uncertainty principle is anything but a perfect example to respond with? It clearly was appropriate and that is why I don't agree with your opinion."

Nearly 200 years to solve the uncertainty principle.

http://www.kurzweilai.net/physicists-solve-un...

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110602/full/n...

Given enough time humans will solve all open questions. But you know how answering one question sometimes makes you ask two more?
We are inquisitive by nature, and will never quit asking more questions.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#669187 Oct 30, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an answer to a question other than the one I was trying to ask.
I'm happy about it! Just isn't what I was asking.
I have gone through a door, that can never lead back to belief in the ridiculousness of bible mythology. Short of the magician himself presenting his heavenly miracles in the flesh. I tend to see it as a deception , a little white lie , that blew itself out of proportion.
It became a monstrous fraud for power hungry maniacs.

Since: May 07

Muncie, IN

#669188 Oct 30, 2013
hazem selawi wrote:
you are gonna have to read his book; The bible,The Quran and Science
there is a whole chapter about this subject , part 3 The Exodus starting from Page 144, there are so many details regarding this subject
Just copy this link to your browser and click the first result
https://www.google.jo/#q=maurice+buqaile+pdf +...
in that books he also discuss the difference between the Judaic scriptures and the Quran, He made it clear that the Old and new testament have so manny errors with science while the Quran doesn't contradict in any aspect, and for your information Maurice is not that famous among Muslims, and he doesn't discuss these stories only with those who believe in supernaturals, there are more than 80 pages in his book discussing some scientific facts in the Quran objectively. He learned Arabic and that gave him the chance to understand The Quran better, The Quran in Arabic language is way different from translations.
You need to learn what "objective" means.

For instance:
Assuming that magic is real and that a magical being is magically controlling everything or influencing events here and there, is not even remotely close to "objective."
Finding a broken skull and assuming that person suffered a dramatic death during a dramatic biblical event, is not remotely close to "objective."
Cobbling together phrases here and there while assuming that they are true in the first place, and then trying to make them fit into actual science using convoluted reasoning, is not remotely close to "objective."
Declaring science to be false and instead declaring magic to be responsible (such as, evolution), is not remotely close to "objective."

It is your complete misunderstanding of the word "objective" and your inability to think objectively that is causing so much of your confusion concerning science.

Muncie, IN

#669189 Oct 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I learned that humans evolved from monkeys in grade school, a lot of kids did.
You, and these lot of kids, were taught incorrectly.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Now they teach something else to my kids than I learned.
...because what you were taught was wrong.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Which is correct?
Certainly not what you were taught, because it was wrong.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
They're both taught as fact.
No they are not.
Saying "humans evolved from monkeys" only shows that one does not understand human evolution. It is not a fact, because it is incorrect.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
That's my problem with science, that people have soooooo much faith in it they think it's always right.
No, your "problem with science" is that you do not understand what it is you are trying to talk about.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
My beef with the elite intellectuals, as you put it, is they're utter stupidity.
You might be careful not to misspell the word "their" the next time you are commenting on someone's utter stupidity.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Only an idiot would think they need to take a class to learn how to do something natural, like childbirth. Normal people don't do that, just the supposed elite intellectuals do.
Your opinion on what pregnant women do in order to prepare for pregnancy means nothing.
By the way, have you ever been pregnant?
Greens - tuf

Sydney, Australia

#669190 Oct 30, 2013
Yes He is real wrote:
Energy in a system may take on various forms (e.g. kinetic, potential, heat, light). The law of conservation of energy states that energy may neither be created nor destroyed. Therefore the sum of all the energies in the system is a constant.
God, can not be created, nor destroy, has always been will always be, always changing.
God is everything beginning, end, the Alpha, the Omega.
This energy is found in EVERY SINGLE thing in some form. If God is EVERYTHING, this makes complete sense. And if everything is linked by one source that is and will and has always been, since it can not be created nor destroyed, this explains good and evil and the necessity to live without sin, or wrongs.
Also if thoughts can even produce a measurable amount of energy in some for, this explains how people without sin and away from any visible sins can and are effected by the situations around them too.
If my thought produces energy that has enough power to be measured, and that energy effects you, it is safe to say my good or bad though effects how that energy will react or effect things. It is it has no mind to decide what it effects once I produce the thoughts (which are produced along with every action as well). I already made that effect predetermined by the positive or negative thought I had, with our without the action (the brain knows no difference between just thinking of an action or physically doing such).
So my bad thoughts, will effect others even on a positive or negative level as well as my physical actions.
The bible shows this, science shows all of this. God is real, GOD IS EVERYTHING. God has ALWAYS been and WILL ALWAYS BE!
God however is NOT a man flying high in the sky living in a castle.
Voltaire :If God did not exist, we would have to invent him.
Also if your thoughts do produce things into existence, science is now having to question this. If there was really no God, and we are proving all we see is energy being accepted by us in a visual form, wouldn't the simply thought, what if God is create a God?!
Sins and being punish for it is a reaction of the energy we produce, to yourself and to the sinless as well. That is why it is IMPORTANT to do good, a single thought can effect another. That is always why people report white lights and a feeling of being distance to actual feeling but feeling more connected to everything, we simply become a different form of this energy, that is always changing.
God is EVERYTHING. This is, has been, and always will be by science even. There is a God, that is God, God is EVERYTHING! EVERYTHING.
Not just some man in the sky, EVERYTHING!
God is just a name people have giving it! God has MANY MANY names, it is easier to grasp than everything, and always, the human mind can not fully do this, that is why we all struggle.
Simplifying things is a way to show all people things, some try with the bible, some science, but it REALLY is that simple. It is like they all say, it is EVERYTHING!
Einstein said "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Both science and religion should try this a little more, seeing is how a genius pointed this out. Words do not make your smart, a higher IQ does.
My unhappiness effects you, and happiness does too, since these are part of my thought processes. As well as yours effect me. I want you to be well, so your effects benefit me, and I want to be well to do the same for you, since each of us benefit positively from this. Negatively without this.
You just nailed it.

Muncie, IN

#669191 Oct 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yes I was. All of the kids in that science class were, and so were millions of others across America.

Science offers the best available info for some things, I agree.
But that "best available info" should be taught as such, not as fact.
Your idea of "fact" is a bit deranged, though. You believe in magic and call it "fact."
Greens - tuf

Sydney, Australia

#669192 Oct 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Ben, the star would be turning, not you.
The axis is the straight line. You would be 3 degrees measured from that pole.
Sorry, there aren't any more landmarks nearby to give you more exact coordinates. Things are real sparse in that neighborhood. Where ever it is. Being an unnamed star and all. Hell, I couldn't even tell you what galaxy it was not knowing that.
Your real sharp. Don't cut yourself.
"Your real sharp. Don't cut yourself "

Now that's putting it bluntly.

See what I did there? Lol
:)
Greens - tuf

Sydney, Australia

#669193 Oct 30, 2013
orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
So you prove yourself selfish?
Other Mexicans might be offended by the jokes, would Jesus approve?
Most Mexicans would more than likely just sweep it under the mat, they cannot sweep it under the carpet due to the underlay, underlay yippa yippa !!

“The king saids "Dinner!"”

Since: Oct 13

Gay Luigi

#669194 Oct 30, 2013
No one can explain where space came from

Muncie, IN

#669195 Oct 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
You are confused.
Funny, you calling someone else confused.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Religions have evolved just as science has.
...which shows just how little "faith" people have in these religions in the first place.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Science has become a religion whereas it has always existed alongside religion.
Rather, the two existed alongside one another until science reached the point of not needing a god to explain matters.
They no longer can exist alongside one another because religion teaches fundamental ideas it calls "truths" that are in direct contradiction to science.
Dave Nelson wrote:
The quest for knowledge and understanding is an intrinsic part of human existence, which is one reason for the existence of religion.
No.
Religion teaches people to not quest for knowledge and understanding.
Religion starts with an answer - "God did it!" - and then fashions questions around that pre-determined answer.
Dave Nelson wrote:
You have turned that into a god to worship even if it has the same failings as religions. It is called the church of scientism.
Methodologies, and thus conclusions, continually fail in science. That is why you get science apologetics until a new methodology is employed.
There are science based religions. Even the Catholic church has science institutions within it. It is all in approach.
You have been brainwashed by your cult into thinking you are the only true religion. And objective.
Your delusions are acting up again.

Muncie, IN

#669196 Oct 30, 2013
orangelion wrote:
provide evidence that evolution is true.
The early 19th century was about 200 years ago.
You might try catching up with current times.

Muncie, IN

#669197 Oct 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
I believe in a higher being because of my technological training. Not one single iota of listening to others beliefs. Just pure analyzing of the circuitry. It is just "knowing". On the scientific level and personal.
It has no face or beard.
Most of your jibber-jabber is based on these things you claim to "just know."
Too bad reality often interferes with your little fantasies and what you "just know."

Muncie, IN

#669198 Oct 30, 2013
OCB wrote:
Since apes are not human, is the Smithsonian claiming that human beings aren't ....well.... human ?
Humans can't be both human animals and non-human animals.....
Saying "apes are not human" is like saying "insects are not beetles." It is a misdirection of the more inclusive grouping category.

Beetles are insects, but not all insects are beetles. For instance, butterflies are insects also.
Humans are apes, but not all apes are humans. For instance, chimpanzees are apes also.

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#669199 Oct 30, 2013
Apsu wrote:
<quoted text>You need to learn what "objective" means.
For instance:
Assuming that magic is real and that a magical being is magically controlling everything or influencing events here and there, is not even remotely close to "objective."
Finding a broken skull and assuming that person suffered a dramatic death during a dramatic biblical event, is not remotely close to "objective."
Cobbling together phrases here and there while assuming that they are true in the first place, and then trying to make them fit into actual science using convoluted reasoning, is not remotely close to "objective."

Declaring science to be false and instead declaring magic to be responsible (such as, evolution), is not remotely close to "objective."
It is your complete misunderstanding of the word "objective" and your inability to think objectively that is causing so much of your confusion concerning science.
the writer of the books (the Bible, the quran and science ,the origin of a man), says in chapter 5 pharaoh merbapeth's Mummy
you can find the detailed description and examination of the body in Elliot Smith's book (The Royal Mummies) 1912.

you should go back to that book and find the detailed description of the examination, Maurice Buqaille and others found those clues before knowing anything about the Quran, so obviously they didn't Just make that fact fit into other verses.

I don't know why you are that convinced to the evolution theory , it may be right and it may be wrong, it was never a fact nor will be.

Muncie, IN

#669200 Oct 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The Bible was written by shepherds, kings, prophets, apostles, disciples, fishermen...
It is the inspired Word of God. God used men over 2500 year period on four different continents. It is all interwoven and all leads to Jesus.
This is your "faith" speaking, not reality.

The Bible is a collection of mostly anonymous texts, some books having more than one anonymous author. What you call the Bible today was canonized by a limited number of men many hundreds of years ago, discarding Christian and Jewish works they deemed not proper (that you have likely not even read). The Old Testament has nothing to do with Jesus, that is the New Testament.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prinzzess/Prinzzess Felicity Jade: The Terrible... 8 min Timeitwassaid 1
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 23 min who 271,338
bless the jews (Nov '08) 27 min welcome holy angels 7,190
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 38 min Robert F 590,184
9/11&bin 55 min REV CAROL 1
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Epiphany2 612,187
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Mike thunkit 99,975
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 4 hr Rosa_Winkel 4,386
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 hr Halle Berry Sister 176,947
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 14 hr Finley 31
More from around the web