Prove there's a god.
Ben Dare

Schaumburg, IL

#669331 Oct 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"contrary to the laws of physics"
Huh...
Not long ago, humans flying also contradicted those laws.....

So, are you saying then as our knowledge of physics increase suddenly things like, how two of all the animal species from the entire earth, even the ones land locked by thousands of miles of ocean, came to gather in the middle east for a ride in a boat so enormous that modern boat builders have determined a boat that big couldn't be constructed out of wood because it's strength to weight ratio is not great enough to keep it from breaking in half under it's own weight... and then these 2 of each species ran/swam back to all corners of the earth again to repopulate? I don't think an increase in our understanding of the laws of physics will make this any more believable. RR, it's amazing, but if people want to believe something bad enough, no matter how unbelievable it may be, they'll find a reason to. Just like Rod said.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#669332 Oct 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"contrary to the laws of physics"
Huh...
Not long ago, humans flying also contradicted those laws.....
Which physical laws, specifically, were contradicted?
Ben Dare

Schaumburg, IL

#669333 Oct 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, I missed the quotation marks, my bad.
Don't ya think that every time we overcome one thing, something else rears it's ugly head, making us less civilized?
Also, what is civilized is relative, IMO.
In my opinion, we will fail to ever become an advanced civilization. If we continue the way we're headed I wouldn't bet on more than a couple hundred more years. Our biggest challenges lay yet ahead... hunger, energy shortages, increasing pollution, massive overpopulation and it's associated diseases etc. But forget all that for the time being... until we learn how to get along without blowing the shit out of our fellow human beings every day we aren't advancing anywhere.
Ben Dare

Schaumburg, IL

#669334 Oct 31, 2013
scaritual wrote:
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Satan is yourself thinking you know it all. The wild child let loose.
<quoted text>
RUN! SAVE YOURSELF!
LOOK AWAY FROM THE MAGNET ON A STRING!
::::slaps self in the face hard...:::::::lays on floor dazed for several seconds:::::

Whew! Thanks Scari.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#669335 Oct 31, 2013
Ben Dare wrote:
<quoted text>
In my opinion, we will fail to ever become an advanced civilization. If we continue the way we're headed I wouldn't bet on more than a couple hundred more years. Our biggest challenges lay yet ahead... hunger, energy shortages, increasing pollution, massive overpopulation and it's associated diseases etc. But forget all that for the time being... until we learn how to get along without blowing the shit out of our fellow human beings every day we aren't advancing anywhere.
I don't know about you, but I've never killed a human and I doubt that I could.

That's a start.
Ben Dare

Schaumburg, IL

#669336 Oct 31, 2013
scaritual wrote:
This poll was definitely not as abrasive as mine, but the expected results are the same.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#669337 Oct 31, 2013
chance47 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like something amazing occured for you. You beleive it was spiritual apparently. Power to you, but I wonder if you are open minded enough to consider that your 'event' MIGHT not have been from what you think? How can you be so sure what was behind it?
all i can say, sir, is that in much the same way you educate yourself and believe what you learn and experience, i do the same.

i.e., an atheist will embrace and run with certain ideas tho they're only theories; i exercise my faith the same way only towards God and not the fickle and ever changing 'scientific community'. exercising one's faith in a certain direction is a moral choice of the will!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#669338 Oct 31, 2013
Ben Dare wrote:

So, are you saying then as our knowledge of physics increase suddenly things like, how two of all the animal species from the entire earth,{{SNIP}}
Well shit, I gotta stop ya there.

"all the animal species from the entire earth"?!

Really??

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#669339 Oct 31, 2013
Ben Dare wrote:
<quoted text>
"hunger, energy shortages, increasing pollution, massive overpopulation and it's associated diseases etc"

"until we learn how to get along without blowing the shit out of our fellow human beings every day we aren't advancing anywhere."

Except faster to:

"hunger, energy shortages, increasing pollution, massive overpopulation and it's associated diseases etc"

Lovely logic you have. You really understand priorities. Darwin would be proud of you.

Better get off your scientific butt, big boy and get crackin'. You are the one facing that nightmare. The world population has doubled since I was a boy, the state I grew up in is 6 times what it was by immigration to it from all over the world.

Things happen faster than you think.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#669340 Oct 31, 2013
hazem selawi wrote:
<quoted text>
that answer makes me assume that you read the Royale Mummies book 1912 or that you have a very high of knowledge of examining mummies and the history of pharaohs.
1912? Don't you think that in the last hundred years we might have discovered a lot more about ancient Egypt and the Pharaohs?

What no one has discovered is any evidence for Israelis in Egypt or any Pharaoh drowning.

Alamosa, CO

#669341 Oct 31, 2013
Ben Dare wrote:
<quoted text>
This poll was definitely not as abrasive as mine, but the expected results are the same.
Hmmmm....voted 4 times.

Just where or what is Lombard, IL?

I know you are a secret admirer and had to wear the sunglasses. Thanks for the votes.

But you are on the Topix atheist shit list now.

Alamosa, CO

#669342 Oct 31, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
1912? Don't you think that in the last hundred years we might have discovered a lot more about ancient Egypt and the Pharaohs?
What no one has discovered is any evidence for Israelis in Egypt or any Pharaoh drowning.
Pharaoh was the government. It meant Great Palace. The name was later used for individuals.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#669343 Oct 31, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
they're not "known" to be written anonymously, but 'supposed' by scoffers. scoff away scoffer, but you're only excluding yourself, not me;)
They are known to be anonymous by Biblical scholars who actually research the gospels. As a good example see "Jesus Interrupted" and/or "Misquoting Jesus" by Bart Ehrmann M.Div,PhD, who is currently the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Also see the book "Sins of Scripture" By retired Bishop John Shelby Spong.

By not educating yourself on both sides of the question you are doing yourself a great dis-service and doing exactly what your handlers want.

“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
&#8213; Plato
Ben Dare

Schaumburg, IL

#669344 Oct 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well shit, I gotta stop ya there.
"all the animal species from the entire earth"?!
Really??
Genesis 7

New International Version (NIV)

"7 The Lord then sayeth to Noah,“Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation. 2 Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate, 3 and also seven pairs of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth. 4 Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made.”

Of course, like everything in the Bible, this is open to interpretation. Like for example, when the Lord said "I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made," he probably meant just the face of the earth in the immediate vicinity of Mt. Ararat plus or minus a hundred miles or so.

In all seriousness RR, I think the entire Bible is absolutely silly when taken from a literal perspective, however, there are certain stories that I think are standout, ridiculously silly. The story of Noah is one of them. The story of Lot is another, but let's stick to Noah for a minute... throughout the Old Testament, there are dozens of examples where God makes very illogical, cold hearted, evil decisions. This is not just my opinion, but these decisions are evil when judged by any normal person with an inherent sense of right and wrong. Destroying all but a handful of the population of every living thing on earth is just a tad bit of an over reaction wouldn't you say? God supposedly created all these living creatures, then kills them all because the humans have turned to debauchery or whatever? And why kill all the innocent animals? If God is all powerful, you can't tell me he couldn't have come up with a simpler less murderous way to deal with the situation?

Same with killing all the first born babies in Egypt to make the Pharaoh let the Jews go. He turned Lot's wife to stone, why not just turn the damn Pharaoh to stone and give all the innocent babies a pass. No loving, all knowing God would do something like this... yes, that's my opinion, but I do have an inherent sense of right and wrong; and any way you cut it, if these stories are true, this God has one enormous evil streak and is the biggest serial killer the world has ever known. The one thing these stories do accomplish is to strike fear into the hearts of anyone who believes them, and that was the intended purpose of their author, whoever he may have been.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#669345 Oct 31, 2013
Ben Dare wrote:
<quoted text>
::::slaps self in the face hard...:::::::lays on floor dazed for several seconds:::::
Whew! Thanks Scari.
My pleasure.

Just avoid paper clips, string, magnets, wine in sippy boxes, "telluric current thingies or something like that", don't DL the Magnetonomicon.pdf from the Monsters&Aliens website The Dave Nelson was telling Buck Crick about that one time, Mae Pearl, and Waring Blenders for the next few days.
Ben Dare

Schaumburg, IL

#669346 Oct 31, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"until we learn how to get along without blowing the shit out of our fellow human beings every day we aren't advancing anywhere."
Except faster to:
Lovely logic you have. You really understand priorities. Darwin would be proud of you.
Better get off your scientific butt, big boy and get crackin'. You are the one facing that nightmare. The world population has doubled since I was a boy, the state I grew up in is 6 times what it was by immigration to it from all over the world.
Things happen faster than you think.
Not sure what your point here. You start out criticizing me for the challenges I listed that the human race faces, then turn around and seem to agree with what I said. I'm not the self professed genius here. If there was something I personally could do to rectify the world's problems I certainly would do it. I'd ask you what the world's greatest genius planned on doing, but you talk like a man who doesn't have a lot of time left.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#669347 Oct 31, 2013
Ben Dare wrote:
<quoted text>
Genesis 7
New International Version (NIV)
"7 The Lord then sayeth to Noah,“Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation. 2 Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate, 3 and also seven pairs of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth. 4 Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made.”
Of course, like everything in the Bible, this is open to interpretation. Like for example, when the Lord said "I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made," he probably meant just the face of the earth in the immediate vicinity of Mt. Ararat plus or minus a hundred miles or so.
In all seriousness RR, I think the entire Bible is absolutely silly when taken from a literal perspective, however, there are certain stories that I think are standout, ridiculously silly. The story of Noah is one of them. The story of Lot is another, but let's stick to Noah for a minute... throughout the Old Testament, there are dozens of examples where God makes very illogical, cold hearted, evil decisions. This is not just my opinion, but these decisions are evil when judged by any normal person with an inherent sense of right and wrong. Destroying all but a handful of the population of every living thing on earth is just a tad bit of an over reaction wouldn't you say? God supposedly created all these living creatures, then kills them all because the humans have turned to debauchery or whatever? And why kill all the innocent animals? If God is all powerful, you can't tell me he couldn't have come up with a simpler less murderous way to deal with the situation?
Same with killing all the first born babies in Egypt to make the Pharaoh let the Jews go. He turned Lot's wife to stone, why not just turn the damn Pharaoh to stone and give all the innocent babies a pass. No loving, all knowing God would do something like this... yes, that's my opinion, but I do have an inherent sense of right and wrong; and any way you cut it, if these stories are true, this God has one enormous evil streak and is the biggest serial killer the world has ever known. The one thing these stories do accomplish is to strike fear into the hearts of anyone who believes them, and that was the intended purpose of their author, whoever he may have been.
Now you got it. Every kind of "clean animal", which is later spelled out in Deuteronomy & Leviticus.

That's quite different from "all the animal species from the entire earth" as you claimed.

You really should read to comprehend BEFORE you tear it apart...

You think God made an "evil decision" by killing off all the evil people in the world?! How's that?

Your Ideals of God seems to be entirely based on the OT. Ever read or study the NT?

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#669348 Oct 31, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
My pleasure.
Just avoid paper clips, string, magnets, wine in sippy boxes, "telluric current thingies or something like that", don't DL the Magnetonomicon.pdf from the Monsters&Aliens website The Dave Nelson was telling Buck Crick about that one time, Mae Pearl, and Waring Blenders for the next few days.
Rocks!

Avoid rocks too!
Pat

East Granby, CT

#669349 Oct 31, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your brand of atheists keep changing your position. Why you like to redefine words, science, and history so much. But there is a general pattern to it. Diametrically opposed to reason and logic.
They are easy to put in a corner and watch melt.
Lies and going off point are integral parts of the theists argument.
Pat

East Granby, CT

#669350 Oct 31, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Was a simple question.
You should have been able to answer instead of flitting away.
Was an odd off point idiotic question. Why do you do that Dave?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Bongo 56,202
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 3 min Aussie Kev 2,349
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min truth 650,599
Any Dhaka men for gay sex (Mar '15) 11 min sarwod 5
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 31 min Neville Thompson 449
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Life in Leyland 445,931
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Toby 106,081
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 hr bad bob 182,967
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) Thu kobechi3 71
More from around the web