orangelion

London, UK

#668989 Oct 30, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>I think he uses that only for ChristineM since she's British.
But hey- I don't care WHAT Dave calls me; it's only the alcohol talking anyway.
provide evidence that evolution is true.

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#668990 Oct 30, 2013
Ben Dare wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa... that's some impressive gibberish there Dave. So in English you're saying that you believe in God in hopes that there's an afterlife and hence you'll eventually be rewarded for basing your entire belief system on mythology. But then if you just came out and said that, you wouldn't sound like nearly as big of a pompous ass as when you say it your way.
I believe in a higher being because of my technological training. Not one single iota of listening to others beliefs. Just pure analyzing of the circuitry. It is just "knowing". On the scientific level and personal.

It has no face or beard.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#668992 Oct 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I know the difference between a theory and a scientific theory. I heads no problem with theories being taught, except when they're taught as fact - which they always are.
Again, how would you have them taught? Should a disclaimer be offered every time a teacher mentions evolution? "Warning: although the evidence for evolution is overwhelming, we should let you know that there is perhaps an unseen evil demon manipulating our senses so that it only seems like we evolved."

Seriously. It goes without saying that things might change in terms of what we "know" about the world. But we could barely teach anything at all if we could only teach "facts." The way we advance our knowledge is by passing down down information generation by generation, with each successive generation tweaking or completely changing it as necessary. Do you suggest we somehow refrain from doing this until such time as we have gained omniscience?

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#668994 Oct 30, 2013
orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
You first. Provide evidence that you are not in an institution for the incurably insane.

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#668995 Oct 30, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Those aren't verses encouraging people to give thought. It's typical nonsense. They basically say "if you think about these things, you'll convert to islam."
I didn't comment on the other subjects because I didn't feel like listing everything.*Everything* you have posted so far is complete and total nonsense. It really is so bad that I can't decide whether or not you're a poe.
Poe's Law: Poe's law, named after its author Nathan Poe, is an Internet adage reflecting the idea that without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between an expression of sincere extremism and a parody of extremism.
ooh Finally you explained to me what POE means, I always wondered what is poe, I thought POE is someone who takes PILLS OVER EVERYTHING (like an addict), thank you for clearing that up :)

Anyways you are asking for the impossible, simply because its impossible to measure God, if we were able to measure him it would mean that our rules (The Rules of this universe ,physics ,gravity , a creature should be created by another creator) also can be applied on him thus he should be created by other god , and that would make us go again in an endless conversation .

I think its your turn to tell me what you really believe in, is it you don't believe in a creator and that's it..?!!
I am sure you have some kind of explanation

Fowler, CO

#668996 Oct 30, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Again, how would you have them taught? Should a disclaimer be offered every time a teacher mentions evolution? "Warning: although the evidence for evolution is overwhelming, we should let you know that there is perhaps an unseen evil demon manipulating our senses so that it only seems like we evolved."
Seriously. It goes without saying that things might change in terms of what we "know" about the world. But we could barely teach anything at all if we could only teach "facts." The way we advance our knowledge is by passing down down information generation by generation, with each successive generation tweaking or completely changing it as necessary. Do you suggest we somehow refrain from doing this until such time as we have gained omniscience?
Your personal "scientific" conclusion there is no deity is not a fact. Science itself does not state such a thing. Science is the study of the mechanics of creation, not the creative event. The issue is you are trying to pass off your personal conclusion as scientific fact. The evolution of man is just a part of the mechanics toward a final product. Just leave it at the mechanics. But you aren't.

There are no courses in public school teaching what created existence, so there is no discussion or chance for the individual to decide. You are advancing your view via stealth, not by facts.
orangelion

London, UK

#668997 Oct 30, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>You first. Provide evidence that you are not in an institution for the incurably insane.
I belief in nothing, I know nothing, I only disbelief.
And I disbelieve evolution.
There is much I don't know, so doubting is wise.
You provide you evidence for evolution.

Fowler, CO

#668998 Oct 30, 2013
Teachers go to school and are taught how to teach, not to study subjects in depth. What they actually teach is what the school board decides via curriculum. It doesn't have to be true.

However, their delivery of this teaching influences what is received.

Go back to the first paragraph.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#668999 Oct 30, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>No- it's not wrong at all.
Sorry if it's too simple for you to understand.
Apes, monkeys and humans share a common ancestor.
From that common ancestor, some beings branched off to be apes and monkeys while other beings branched off to be human beings.
And that common ancestor was a PRIMATE- which is what monkeys, apes and human beings all are- PRIMATES.
That you deduce from that that humans evolved from monkeys and apes is what is so wrong.
And sharing a common ancestor in NO way means that human beings evolved from monkeys and apes.
All it means is that we evolved from the same common ancestor but again- you are so wrong to think that means human beings evolved from monkeys and apes.
He is correct, you were wrong. The great apes descended from old world monkeys , so their division is before all apes.
This means all apes evolved from them.

http://humanorigins.si.edu/sites/default/file...
Ben Dare

Wheaton, IL

#669000 Oct 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in a higher being because of my technological training. Not one single iota of listening to others beliefs. Just pure analyzing of the circuitry. It is just "knowing". On the scientific level and personal.
It has no face or beard.
But you seem much more invested in all this than if you were simply a deist. You suggest that your belief is motivated by a hope that when you finally jump off the merry-go-round (and I've got a feeling that's going to be sooner rather than later) that there's going to be some sort of heavenly reward waiting in payment for your godly beliefs. You claim your beliefs are based on scientific principles. How does science in any way suggest there to be a heaven; and why would only those who had proclaimed blind faith in a belief system based solely on conjecture and mythology get to go there? What a mindlessly arrogant thing to believe.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#669001 Oct 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And of course you miss the point again.
Don't waste your time "teaching" me about Pluto, I already know what you posted.
My point is that I was taught in school that Pluto was a planet and so were you and so was probably everyone here.
Who knows what they're "teaching" people now that isn't fact.....
Even though it's not a planet.
Pluto is a planet.

The scientists have it wrong.

God told me so.
christINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#669002 Oct 30, 2013
orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
LLLLL
so,,the UK has religiously retarded imbeciles also,eh!

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#669003 Oct 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It has no face or beard.
You misspelled theological.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#669004 Oct 30, 2013
hazem selawi wrote:
<quoted text>
ooh Finally you explained to me what POE means, I always wondered what is poe, I thought POE is someone who takes PILLS OVER EVERYTHING (like an addict), thank you for clearing that up :)
Anyways you are asking for the impossible, simply because its impossible to measure God, if we were able to measure him it would mean that our rules (The Rules of this universe ,physics ,gravity , a creature should be created by another creator) also can be applied on him thus he should be created by other god , and that would make us go again in an endless conversation .
I think its your turn to tell me what you really believe in, is it you don't believe in a creator and that's it..?!!
I am sure you have some kind of explanation
Thanks for admitting, yet again, that there is no proof for any god's existence.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#669005 Oct 30, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Pluto is a planet.
The scientists have it wrong.
God told me so.

Pluto is a planet... a dwarf planet...lol
OCB

Hollywood, FL

#669006 Oct 30, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> He is correct, you were wrong. The great apes descended from old world monkeys , so their division is before all apes.
Uh, no...... I am not wrong, PBS is not wrong and Charles Darwin was not wrong.

Too bad you can't tell Mr. Darwin that you are right and that he was wrong.

I'm sorry that you don't know the meaning of "common ancestor" but maybe you can find an elementary school teacher who can explain it to you.

After all, most of them are quite experienced in dealing with brains not yet fully developed.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#669007 Oct 30, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>No- it's not wrong at all.
Sorry if it's too simple for you to understand.
Apes, monkeys and humans share a common ancestor.
From that common ancestor, some beings branched off to be apes and monkeys while other beings branched off to be human beings.
And that common ancestor was a PRIMATE- which is what monkeys, apes and human beings all are- PRIMATES.
That you deduce from that that humans evolved from monkeys and apes is what is so wrong.
And sharing a common ancestor in NO way means that human beings evolved from monkeys and apes.
All it means is that we evolved from the same common ancestor but again- you are so wrong to think that means human beings evolved from monkeys and apes.
There wasn't one common ancestor that split into three, there were many ancestors and many branches.

You need to look at the tree of life to see it.

Note how in this tree we are classified as Great Apes. Note also where on the tree New world and Old world monkeys join.

From Berkeley University of California (That good enough for you?)

“To begin with, let's take a step back. Although the evolution of hominid features is sometimes put in the framework of "apes vs. humans," the fact is that humans are apes, just as they are primates and mammals. A glance at the evogram shows why. The other apes — chimp, bonobo, gorilla, orangutan, gibbon — would not form a natural, monophyletic group (i.e., a group that includes all the descendants of a common ancestor)— if humans were excluded. Humans share many traits with other apes, and those other "apes" (i.e., non-human apes) don't have unique features that set them apart from humans.”
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/arti...

Or the Smithsonian?

“No matter how the calculation is done, the big point still holds: humans, chimpanzees, and bonobos are more closely related to one another than either is to gorillas or any other primate. From the perspective of this powerful test of biological kinship, humans are not only related to the great apes – we are one. The DNA evidence leaves us with one of the greatest surprises in biology: the wall between human, on the one hand, and ape or animal, on the other, has been breached. The human evolutionary tree is embedded within the great apes.”
http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/genetics
OCB

Hollywood, FL

#669008 Oct 30, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> He is correct, you were wrong. The great apes descended from old world monkeys , so their division is before all apes.
Uh, no..... I am not wrong, PBS is not wrong and Charles Darwin was not wrong.

I'm sorry that you obviously don't know the meaning of "common ancestor".

Maybe you can find an elementary school teacher to explain it to you.

After all, they have a lot of experience in dealing with minds not yet fully developed.
Pat

Granby, CT

#669009 Oct 30, 2013
orangelion wrote:
<quoted text>
Drug resistant TB.

Fowler, CO

#669010 Oct 30, 2013
Ben Dare wrote:
<quoted text>
But you seem much more invested in all this than if you were simply a deist. You suggest that your belief is motivated by a hope that when you finally jump off the merry-go-round (and I've got a feeling that's going to be sooner rather than later) that there's going to be some sort of heavenly reward waiting in payment for your godly beliefs. You claim your beliefs are based on scientific principles. How does science in any way suggest there to be a heaven; and why would only those who had proclaimed blind faith in a belief system based solely on conjecture and mythology get to go there? What a mindlessly arrogant thing to believe.
Why would you assume I believe in a heaven and reward?

Such requires an ego I don't possess. You have to be aware of something a bit grander not to have such an ego. I am part of something larger. It will make the decisions if I am discarded or put to another use. I do what I do, and enjoy the ride as much as possible. Thank you for the experience, Sir.

Take your illustrious self. Look around you at your universe, one which you can affect. You get into the habit of thinking you are something grand and worthy of special treatment. It is something built into the system to make things work. But see if you can remove your consciousness from your immediate surroundings and comfort zone. Imagine your illustrious self being parked about 40 lightyears 3 degrees off the north polar axis of some unnamed star. Put yourself in perspective within this large machine you exist in.

Your consciousness will continue, but how it fits in with the other parts may decide what you will be doing next.

Your ego lends itself to second guessing the larger being.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
is it wrong i like to wear womens underwear (Nov '12) 11 min the straight thon... 219
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 16 min Robert F 582,672
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 1 hr lightbeamrider 2,249
What do u think of Jesus Christ?(God) (Oct '06) 1 hr James 70,120
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Student 40,106
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 442,456
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr dollarsbill 2,998
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr mike 611,767
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 hr Rosa_Winkel 98,818
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 6 hr AN NFL FAN 121,614
More from around the web