Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#668037 Oct 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
MSM?
Remember me saying that I don't watch the news anymore?
I don't, but it makes me happy. There's still hope.

Location hidden

#668038 Oct 26, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Like I said, there is no study involving using placebos on people with an acute condition like blood poisoning.
Nice try with the red herring...but, not really, loser.
Do you know what sepsis is? Sometimes I really don't understand people - you could have taken 5 seconds on google to figure out that the quote I cited for you was actually relevant, but instead you make yourself look like a dumbass.

But go on, continue believing that if you clap hard enough you might will away major diseases. Attitude and outlook are important, but do not replace real medicine.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#668039 Oct 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I will vouch for that.
Nothing intelligent, either.
Don't be angry, Dave. It's transparent and obvious why.

Just roll with it.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#668040 Oct 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The scientific evidence is that every one of those attempts by science have failed, AND THOSE EXPERIMENTS WERE DESIGNED by those same scientists.
It appears they have the wrong string or wrong yoyo
Tantalizing indications, huh? You have faith.
You say:
"The scientific evidence is that every one of those attempts by science have failed, AND THOSE EXPERIMENTS WERE DESIGNED by those same scientists."

Yeah....So....whats your point??

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#668041 Oct 26, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
I look at it slightly different than you do.
The scientific evidence so far is that we haven't been able to create life, but there ARE tantalizing indications that life can assemble in certain circumstances. That's why so many people and institutions are working on the problem today.
IF all the scientific evidence said it was impossible, there wouldn't be all the research.
I understand.

Christian scientists say the same thing about God.

So do I.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Location hidden

#668042 Oct 26, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I saw a video recently where a soldier was trying to force the U.S. military to be more sensitive regarding atheist ideology by encouraging fellow atheists to bombard it with email complaints.
I see his point about not wanting the military to encourage him to be "spiritual" but he went into hate mode when he started complaining about the possibility that a military chaplain, fellow soldiers, and/or family might "pray over my body after I'm dead". That comment reminded me of a Muslim couple who were irate about "silent time" in their daughter's public school class, all hot and enraged that the kids sitting next to their daughter *might*, possibly, be "thinking" offensive infidel-like thoughts during silent, free time. It's going too far being obsessed about what people are thinking and feeling even though you are dead and can't possibly know what they are doing during their time of grief. The soldier admitted that his mom was a Christian and I wondered if he actually, also, expected her to not express any type of religious gestures, whether in silent prayer or verbally at his funeral or memorial. I can't imagine being so influenced by a cult as to try to control, or even bother thinking about what is going on in the heads of the rest of society after I'm dead. It's obvious that his group have pushed a lot of hate into his head for him to begrudge his mom her right to grieve in her own way, since she would be the one alive and hurting from the loss, not him. Last I heard, the rest of us have a right to think the way we please, just as long as we aren't on Topix. ;)
With the comment - "pray over my body when I'm dead," I get the feeling that he is more concerned about people violating his convictions after he's passed by trying to pray him into heaven or other such nonsense. I doubt he would disagree with his mother saying a silent prayer at his wake. And don't you get a say in how you are treated immediately after death? Would you be OK with a muslim service being held in your honor in violation of your wishes?

Location hidden

#668043 Oct 26, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>lol
I've seen atheists here claim that ghosts and even some deities are acceptable as real...just as long as they aren't Christian ghosts or deities. They are Dawkins acolytes, allowing for ancient aliens, ANYTHING as a possible creator as long as it isn't the one they personally hate. "Reason" plays no part in that ideology since if any one "creator" is acceptable then they all MUST be when, so far, any creator can only be defined as supernatural, i.e., inexplicable, compared to the current physical limitations of humans.
Have you now? Where are these ancient ghost aliens atheists? I'm always on the lookout for new things to laugh at.

Location hidden

#668044 Oct 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO!
Nothing is 'pretty much' a hypothesis. It either is or isn't.
There is no evidence that life can create itself.
In fact, just the opposite is correct; life must create life.
He meant it is a hypothesis as opposed to a theory, not that it is teetering between non-hypothesis and hypothesis.

Evolution is true.....

#668045 Oct 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Deism is a theory. Which, BTW, led to modern science as you know it.
Deism, the belief that a god made everything and floated away forever, makes tremendously more sense then the 'Personal God' that all Christians seem to believe in nowadays.

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#668046 Oct 26, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably at LEAST 50,000 years.
Back then I would think finding or killing your next meal would take precedence over experimenting with rising fire and smoke....besides there was no paper or silk then, and animal skins were too heavy.
What about the thousands since?

The Sumerians, Chinese, Egyptians, Indians, Greeks, Romans, Mayans, Olmecs, to name a few, were not running around in animal skins.

That's quite a few billion people, BTW.

Location hidden

#668047 Oct 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.madehow.com/Volume- 3/Hot-Air-Balloon.html
Things like that intrigue me.
Why don't we have records of such devices from before the recorded?
http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Hot-Air-Ballo...
That is how our modern ones started. Notice the materials used.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartolomeu_de_Gu...
That is someone who proceeded the first link. Note the occupation.
How long have paper, linen, and fire pits existed? Or silk?
How long have men played with fire and watched heat and smoke rise?
How long do you supposed some, at a very minimum, over those thousands of years, would have done the same thing?
There is no doubt in my mind many the military minded would have loved something like that. All the way back to the beginning of warfare.
It is a no brainer to experiment with.
Yet our records say that is a modern invention.
How long has man seen birds in flight? How long has man had access to feathers and tall cliffs?

And yet planes are supposedly modern inventions. Another liberal conspiracy.

Location hidden

#668048 Oct 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You trust science, I know you do.
All the scientific evidence we have to date tells us that life cannot create itself.
Why don't you trust science on that part?
That is not what it tells us nincompoop.

Fowler, CO

#668049 Oct 26, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
You say:
"The scientific evidence is that every one of those attempts by science have failed, AND THOSE EXPERIMENTS WERE DESIGNED by those same scientists."
Yeah....So....whats your point??
Your science is flawed in its present mode.

As is your logic based upon it.

Location hidden

#668050 Oct 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand.
So do I.
Who are these christian scientists you speak of? And if you're god won't even allow himself to be revealed in a prayer study, what makes you think he would reveal himself in a more concrete manner?

Fowler, CO

#668051 Oct 26, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be angry, Dave. It's transparent and obvious why.
Just roll with it.
Where did you get anger?

I made a factual observation about your doings. Purely unemotional and objective.

Location hidden

#668052 Oct 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>

Not completely true. Would you say the same thing about unicorns? Ghosts? Genies? Etc. Etc.

Fowler, CO

#668053 Oct 26, 2013
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-24772...

Ain't science grand?

Topix atheists.

Your gonna die.

Location hidden

#668054 Oct 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the thousands since?
The Sumerians, Chinese, Egyptians, Indians, Greeks, Romans, Mayans, Olmecs, to name a few, were not running around in animal skins.
That's quite a few billion people, BTW.
This is why we venerate great inventions and inventors dave. These things seem obvious in hindsight, but billions of people hadn't thought of them beforehand.

Evolution is true.....

#668055 Oct 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand.
So do I.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

I think this depends on how long one has been looking for evidence and the quality of the research and people doing the looking.

Really competent people have been looking for evidence of the Biblical Exodus for over a hundred years and have found absolutely NO evidence at all. I think this alone disproves the above.

Religious and secular people, some with very good credentials, have been looking for evidence of the Noachian Flood for many many years and found nothing, and there is tremendous mainline geological evidence against it. I think this disproves the saying above.

It depends on a lot of variables...in my opinion.

Fowler, CO

#668057 Oct 26, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>This is why we venerate great inventions and inventors dave. These things seem obvious in hindsight, but billions of people hadn't thought of them beforehand.
Amusing.

Your thoughts on the subject.

So you admit it took the Christian Church creating Western civilization and thought to reach the point where men could hold a paper bag over a fire and get the idea they could ride in a bigger paper bag?

Just think how many more millenia it would have taken if man was atheist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll does anyone want to exchange nude pics? (Oct '13) 8 min Lildzilla 31
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 17 min Paul Porter1 611,759
What do u think of Jesus Christ?(God) (Oct '06) 19 min James 70,133
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 22 min gundee123 442,499
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 22 min USA Born 582,913
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 41 min WildWeirdWillie 176,375
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr The truth works 3,006
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 98,835
More from around the web