Prove there's a god.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#664807 Oct 16, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
But yet you quote the Bible as if it had something important to say. Strength to bolster your argument.
You're constantly reading it, studying it. It's got such a hold on you that you can't let go.
Yup. You are a closet Christian. You just refuse to admit it. The Bible. It's like an addiction to you. It calls you. You answer.
You couldn't stop quoting it even if you tried.
butt hurt and begging him to quit deconstructing the bible, is a humorous desperation.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#664808 Oct 16, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
You have (as usual for a religionist) provided nothing to prove your position.
Every body on earth is born an atheist. Anyone that ends up believing in any particular faith has been brainwashed.
No evidence whatsoever for your position means I win.
Christianity is like all other religions on earth....myth.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
We are also born without words, without knowledge and without being taught about morality. My question for you is: is being taught these things also brainwashing?

#664809 Oct 16, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
butt hurt and begging him to quit deconstructing the bible, is a humorous desperation.
I thought you'ld like it.

#664810 Oct 16, 2013
*you'd

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#664811 Oct 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice post, Al.
Do you have a preferred version? Mine is the NIV.
My decoder ring is shinier than yours.

Location hidden

#664812 Oct 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You think people's sexual preferences are inherent. Good for you.
OCB can't make up her mind. She claims to say what you say, but then also talks about people that "grow up to be gay". It's the "to be" part that eluded you.
It's ok.
Do you think that orientation is not inherent?

Location hidden

#664813 Oct 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why waste so much time on something you can't believe in?
Do you spend an equal amount if time on leprechauns and time machines?
I doubt it.
Does this need to be explained to you for the umpteenth time?

Since: May 07

Muncie, IN

#664814 Oct 16, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
You are a very ignorant person, Of you had read the law you would actually know something... besides how to be a Obama sht log eater. Plants were added to a poaching law in 2008.
It was designed to combat deforestation of the rain forests.
By people who cut down acres of trees logging them out and raping the rain forests. Not to prosecute a man trying to buy a piece of wood legally. Only dunce hats can't see the truth.
The wood was purchased illegally, though. With this little inconvenient detail, your argument falls apart.

You might spend a bit more time thinking your argument through next time. Good luck at that.

Location hidden

#664815 Oct 16, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Blah blah blah. You are just upset because I do not let you deceive me into accepting that the Bible means something different than what it says.
Can you tell us if God face has been seen?
Using ALL of the verses below please tell us.
John 1:18 "No man hath seen God at any time;..."
Exodus 33:20, And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
John 6:46 "Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father."
1 John 4:12 "No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us."
Versus
Gen. 32:30 "And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved."
Exod. 33:11 "And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend."
Num. 14:14 "...that thou LORD art seen face to face,..."
Job 42:5 "I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee."
Deut. 34:10 "And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face,..."
Deut. 5:4 "The LORD talked with you face to face...."
There are no contradictions in the bible. When it says something that sounds contradictory or even absurd, you just need to pray on it and let the holy ghost make sense of it to you.

Sometimes the bible seems to me as an enormous, long form koan. The difference is that koans are intentionally nonsensical.

Location hidden

#664816 Oct 16, 2013
*Sometimes the bible seems to me an enormous, long form koan. The difference is that koans are intentionally nonsensical.*

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#664817 Oct 16, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>I'm jealous, looks like you might be having too much fun out on the water.
Have you got that "work" thing ironed out yet?
Still working on it.

Two days of arbitration down. One to go.

I just had to ask one of the lying sos witnesses against me, when the arbitration team stepped out for a minute, if he was a Christian.

He said he was.

Guess HE'S going to hell.

Location hidden

#664818 Oct 16, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
So greed and love of power and ego had nothing to do with countries going to war?
I would agree that most wars are not religious, although you can't deny that some have been. However, even in religious wars billed as such, it's oftentimes clear that religion is simply used as a tool to sell the war to a pious populace; the real motivations usually being economic or a desire for power. Still, while it's doubtful that all religious wars are truly religious in nature from the leader's perspective, religion is still used as a powerful tool to gain the support of the public.

Location hidden

#664819 Oct 16, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
feces smearers deserve your respect and special minority status as well so they should be next to gain rights to demonstrate and smear in public, beginning at your house!
What's wrong with you?

Since: May 07

Muncie, IN

#664820 Oct 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
That's not what I said. This is xactly the kind of intellectual dishonesty that you guys do, this is what Al Garcia was talking about.
Alternately, RR, you might remember to turn on your sarcasm detector next time.
You are funny.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Quoting the Bible does not equal knowledge of the Bible.
Does that make sense to you?
Tell that to the many Christians who spend so much time quoting the Bible.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#664821 Oct 16, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
We are also born without words, without knowledge and without being taught about morality. My question for you is: is being taught these things also brainwashing?
I'm sorry, did I miss it, or did you NOT provide any proofs for your position?

Christian keep trying to change the subject because they really have no answers.

Morality comes from the culture you live in, not necessarily the Bible. I don't believe a thing in the Bible, but I do truly understand whats been called the 'Golden Rule', a rule that most societies on earth seem to have recognized long long ago.

I live by this 'Golden Rule', and it has served me well for many decades

Being taught observable, testable, empirical, non-fallacious, facts is not brainwashing my friend, it is the passing along of our civilization and culture to new generations.

Without proofs, your myths are just that....myths

Location hidden

#664822 Oct 16, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Words are simply ways of putting sounds to abstract concepts. We aren't taught that words come from the word genie.

"Knowledge" could be used to brainwash someone in a certain context, but sharing knowledge is not in and of itself brainwashing.

Teaching a moral code could be considered a form of brainwashing depending on the context and the moral code itself. For example, if you taught your kids that it's moral to lynch minorities and join the KKK, I would consider that brainwashing. If, however, you teach your kids a general moral framework that touches on the "big issues" ((respect for life, altruism, empathy (bonus points for the categorical imperative), etc), along with the critical thinking skills to both understand the concept of morality and to form their own moral code, I would not consider that brainwashing.

This brings us to religion. The fact of the matter is that religious indoctrination is a form of brainwashing. The "brainwashee" is typically subjected to an isolated environment, encouraged or explicitly told not to consider other points of view, and are rewarded for desirable religious behavior.

They are subjected to this from their very earliest years, and their faith is reinforced positively and negatively in many, many ways. They are expected to acquiesce to these beliefs or face anger, punishment, and sometimes social ostracization. They are told, as young impressionable children, that to reject this message is to choose to burn for eternity.

Conversely, they are praised for professing their belief, and can expect to find a sense of togetherness, purpose, and community for submitting completely (and I'm not saying that these benefits are bad things, just that they are strong motivators). And these factors all work together very well, because the end result in nearly every case is a person who believes - in spite of the fact that there is not a shred of evidence for these beliefs.

I mean, if I was raised by my family and my community from birth to believe that the earth sits atop a giant invisible turtle, wouldn't that be considered brainwashing?

Location hidden

#664823 Oct 16, 2013
and *is* rewarded

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#664824 Oct 16, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I would agree that most wars are not religious, although you can't deny that some have been. However, even in religious wars billed as such, it's oftentimes clear that religion is simply used as a tool to sell the war to a pious populace; the real motivations usually being economic or a desire for power. Still, while it's doubtful that all religious wars are truly religious in nature from the leader's perspective, religion is still used as a powerful tool to gain the support of the public.
To gains support and manipulate.

The only ones to profit from war are the rich....or soon to be rich. Patriotism and jingoism work every time.

Location hidden

#664825 Oct 16, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Still working on it.
Two days of arbitration down. One to go.
I just had to ask one of the lying sos witnesses against me, when the arbitration team stepped out for a minute, if he was a Christian.
He said he was.
Guess HE'S going to hell.
What happened, if you don't mind me asking? Sounds interesting.

#664826 Oct 16, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I would agree that most wars are not religious, although you can't deny that some have been. However, even in religious wars billed as such, it's oftentimes clear that religion is simply used as a tool to sell the war to a pious populace; the real motivations usually being economic or a desire for power. Still, while it's doubtful that all religious wars are truly religious in nature from the leader's perspective, religion is still used as a powerful tool to gain the support of the public.
Amen.... I agree with you....
Religion, fear, nationalism.....anything that a power hungry leader wants can be used as a powerful tool. Unfortunately, Religion is only too easy to use and manipulate.

Good post.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min exposingdolts 30,807
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min kent 687,186
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr Say the Truth 286,541
I LOVE my new LG V20 smartphone!!! 7 hr LG Sucks 4
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 hr Here For Now 619,789
Popcorn time for movies and shows using VPN 11 hr clayvligon 2
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 14 hr LAWEST100 184,840
More from around the web