|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not do business with anyone who actively claims to be a christian
Is that like a don't ask, don't tell kind of policy?

They guy I was referring to was a total shyster. He was trying to explain to me (sell) the benefits of his products towards my business.
Now I've been in my line of work over 20 years and I'd say that I know it inside in out.
When I asked him a few basic questions, his eyes got all big and he stepped back like he was in shock while putting his hand to his chest. He then told me "I wouldn't lie....... I'm a Christian!"

I just found it appalling to me how someone would use that tactic to earn a sale.

I found that as distasteful as a homeless person trying to guilt trip me with a "God Bless you" on a cardboard sign to earn a few bucks to go buy night train or Boones Farm or NyQuil or whatever they use to get smashed.

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Since: Mar 11

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Hiding, this is not the only story of similar paranormal events there are.
http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/Technology/st...
http://skeptico.blogs.com/skeptico/2005/07/re...
That second link is the skeptical view of it. Let's take a look at its skeptical basis.
Young James was transfixed by airplanes at an air museum. At 18 months old. This was what started an 18 month old boy, who had nightmares afterwards, on his path of self delusion according to their skeptical rationale.
How does an 18 month old child even grasp what an airplane really is? What, out of hundreds of technological marvels he is encountering in his newly awakening awareness cause such a thing to trigger such an obsession? How many other thousands and thousands and thousands of other young boys have had a similar exposure to airplanes and came up with recalls like that, with the supporting skeptical "coincidences".
That is just the first of many subjective objective analysis by our skeptic there.
There are recorded and documented instances of people speaking languages they never heard before, and a veritable plethora of similar seeming intact consciousnesses embedded within an individual that came to the forefront after traumatic experiences. You don't get those from cultural and religious training.
"But professor Paul Kurtz of the State University of New York at Buffalo, who heads an organization that investigates claims of the paranormal, says he thinks the parents are "self-deceived."

"They're fascinated by the mysterious and they built up a fairy tale," he said."

from skeptic:

"Looks pretty conclusive from the way it was presented on ABC, yes? Actually no. The TV company, looking for ratings rather than the truth, didnít tell the full story."

and

"This young boy, not unusually, is excited by the planes, and remembers the name of the distinctive Corsair he saw with the unusual gull-wing, plus many other details, including things his mother didnít remember, such as these drop fuel tanks that are also displayed at the museum.

Naturally, this small boy was fascinated by warplanes and he remembered obscure details about them that his mother didnít. Of course, he enjoyed showing off this knowledge to her, later.

However, although he was excited by the planes, the images of WWII battles also frightened him, and they soon began to give him nightmares about being trapped in a plane on fire.

This is when the real problem starts. The childís grandmother, for no obvious rational reason I can think of, suggests he is remembering a past life."

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i hate to pull rank, but my anthropoly doctorate superceeds yours:
"IN THE BEGINNING, GOD..."
1. "anthropoly" isn't a word

2. why are you lying about your profession? You're not an anthropologist, you're just a believer of a religion.

3. Why can't you just be honest and claim it as a belief?

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
oh yeah - and you're NOT AT ALL bigoted against christianity/christians, are you?
too funny (but very hypocritical indeed)!;)
1. Instead of addressing your poor behavior, you deflect and make something up about me.

2. I'm not bigoted toward Christians. I don't use the word "Christian" to discriminate or categorize entire groups of people.

3. I have written that short earth, science denying Creationists are ignorant and uneducated though.

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the usage of the words that connotes a condescending phrase.
"Goddidit" is an atheist thing.
Notice, however, that I am using "God did it" rather than the pejorative that you are using.

Anyways, claiming that "God did it" is not knowledge. It's intellectual laziness.

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
Well written.
So we're all right AND we're all wrong.
It was well written because only I am right.

Just like every believer of every religion, I know I have the one, true worldview.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
Just like every believer of every religion, I know I have the one, true worldview.
To equate all ways of knowing, you must stop caring about what is actually true. If you care about what is actually true, only rational skepticism and its derivatives have a solid track record in that arena.

Islam and Christianity are roughly equivalent. They display about the same level of wrongness.

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
To equate all ways of knowing, you must stop caring about what is actually true. If you care about what is actually true, only rational skepticism and its derivatives have a solid track record in that arena.
Islam and Christianity are roughly equivalent. They display about the same level of wrongness.
That's a very good point, Tide. You might be on to the path of scientific methodologies.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

Boss of the Inland Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Instead of addressing your poor behavior, you deflect and make something up about me.
2. I'm not bigoted toward Christians. I don't use the word "Christian" to discriminate or categorize entire groups of people.
3. I have written that short earth, science denying Creationists are ignorant and uneducated though.
But you love me anyway.......:D

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah the two boobs of belief Islam and Christianity :)
The Truth is Known

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

Al Garcia wrote:
But you love me anyway
The Truth is Known...

You're still a death-denying cowardly Christian cultist even though it's been explained to you repeatedly that organized religion is a hoax. A coward deserves contempt not love!

Christian Cowardice in Pascal's Wager...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you may be right.

But I'm awesome.

So there.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Notice, however, that I am using "God did it" rather than the pejorative that you are using.
Anyways, claiming that "God did it" is not knowledge. It's intellectual laziness.
But what do I know, I'm just a h*nky.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
"But professor Paul Kurtz of the State University of New York at Buffalo, who heads an organization that investigates claims of the paranormal, says he thinks the parents are "self-deceived."
"They're fascinated by the mysterious and they built up a fairy tale," he said."
from skeptic:
"Looks pretty conclusive from the way it was presented on ABC, yes? Actually no. The TV company, looking for ratings rather than the truth, didnít tell the full story."
and
"This young boy, not unusually, is excited by the planes, and remembers the name of the distinctive Corsair he saw with the unusual gull-wing, plus many other details, including things his mother didnít remember, such as these drop fuel tanks that are also displayed at the museum.
Naturally, this small boy was fascinated by warplanes and he remembered obscure details about them that his mother didnít. Of course, he enjoyed showing off this knowledge to her, later.
However, although he was excited by the planes, the images of WWII battles also frightened him, and they soon began to give him nightmares about being trapped in a plane on fire.
This is when the real problem starts. The childís grandmother, for no obvious rational reason I can think of, suggests he is remembering a past life."
You go ahead and believe their beliefs if you wish. It's your reality. You can also go back and read what you wrote that I responded to.

Someday I may explain to you why your learning your first language has interfered with your development in learning and understanding. Has to do with phonetic sounds and associations having to be modified by additional layers to accommodate the new language and associations, The initial imprint from a particular sound doesn't get erased, it gets patched over.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
from skeptic:
and
I mentioned this earlier.

http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-s...

You believe a 18 month or two year old has the ability to form that kind of story with those kind of details? Enough to watch movies and actually understand all that he sees to create such a story? Enough to give him nightmares? Enough to understand things like death, for one.

Tells us about your 2 year old world view.

“Hello Darlings!”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Greetings, fair witch
Ciao, bello!

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Does it hurt to be stupid?
Not him; he's gotten used to it.

Come stai, Bats?

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
I know. The atheist "poofing" & "Goddidit" remarks are analogous to the theist "fish can't grow legs" remarks.
Some fish did. It took a few generations, but they did.

Didn't you ever go to school? Never mind, it's a rhetorical question.

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
I know. The atheist "poofing" & "Goddidit" remarks are analogous to the theist "fish can't grow legs" remarks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking_fish

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...

You were saying?

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
I said "black people are born that way" and you take such offense?
If you think that gay people are born that way, you're more than welcome to prove that idea right.
In the meantime, we true freethinkers will go on thinking that people choose sexuality and that NO infant has a sexual desire.
You--a slave to your superstition and religion, who believes only what he's told to believe by his pastor--call yourself a free-thinker?

How's that work?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 621,181 - 621,200 of717,139
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

344 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 min onemale 255,760
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 min ChristineM 223,292
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 46 min petesake kis 36,421
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 54 min ocxz 114,695
Who really controls America and other Western c... 1 hr yon 48
Fischbach army depot-NATO site 67 (Mar '07) 1 hr brian c toney 392
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... 2 hr Yassir 62
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr hojo 530,344
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr andet1987 171,519