Prove there's a god.

“THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD;”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#645539 Jul 27, 2013
Ethical

Atheism is a morally relativist religion. Most Atheists adhere to one ethical system or another, but in Atheism there is ultimately no foundation for morality, as atheists Dawkins and Provine admit. Many systems of ethics have been proposed; utilitarianism is probably the most popular one.

Some people have taken a further step by creating ethical systems based on the evolutionary narrative and the principle of “survival of the fittest”. People who have lived by such principles include the perpetrators of the Columbine Massacre, the Jokela School Shooting in Finland, and on a much larger scale, the Nazis.

Most people (Atheist or not) inherently know that systems that lead to such atrocities must be wrong, but Atheists cannot give a logical reason for why it is wrong. This contradiction was highlighted by Dawkins when he said “I’m a passionate Darwinian when it comes to science, when it comes to explaining the world, but I’m a passionate anti-Darwinian when it comes to morality and politics.” It was also graphically shown when two evolutionists wrote a book claiming that rape is an evolutionary mechanism to spread male genes—and see how one of them squirmed to justify why he agreed that rape is objectively wrong under his philosophy.

A world governed purely by Atheistic, evolutionary ethics has been shown by history to be a horrible place to live. Most Atheists recognise this and choose to live by the ethical systems of other religions instead, or at the very least, live by the laws enforced by the government.

Ritual

Ritual is the only dimension which on the surface might appear to be absent from the religion of Atheism. In some religions, rituals have meanings attached to them, such as Passover commemorating the Israelites’ escape from Egypt. Because Atheism is a relatively recent movement, it doesn’t have much of a history to commemorate. In other religions, rituals such as sacrifices and dances are done to appease the gods or the spirits. Because Atheism denies the existence of gods and spirits, it doesn’t have the second type of ritual either. Many Atheists do practice “secular rituals” such as their birthday celebrations, or the ‘ritual holidays’ of other religions such as the Christmas and Easter public holidays of Christianity, but this is usually to simply maintain the tradition of a public holiday, and the original meaning of the celebrations are rejected. It’s noteworthy that in recent years, the atheists’ public commemoration of the anniversary of Darwin’s birth each February (and even of the publication of his Origin of Species in November), along with calls for the general public to do the same, is rapidly becoming something of an annual ritual, even in some “churches”. One might even say that this modern Atheistic commemoration is being ‘celebrated’ with greater fervour and passion than many longstanding religious rituals.

Material

While Atheism by its nature of denying the divine can’t have objects that represent the divine (such as icons or idols), nature is treated as sacred by some Atheists in and of itself.

The material dimension of religion, says Smart, includes all the physical things created by a religion such as art and buildings, and also natural features and places treated as sacred by adherents. While Atheism by its nature of denying the divine can’t have objects that represent the divine (such as icons or idols), nature is treated as sacred by some Atheists in and of itself.

continued;

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#645540 Jul 27, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Great post! Hilarious - but not surprising.
Thank you, if we do not get the Bible in front of the believers how are we ever going to convince them it is all contradiction and error?

Location hidden

#645541 Jul 27, 2013
There are two extremes in the range of ideas held by Atheists on the ‘material’:
natural resources are here to be exploited because of “survival of the fittest” and humans are obviously the fittest species; or
we should respect all of nature, particularly living things because to kill them is tantamount to murdering a cousin. This second view essentially holds that all life is ‘sacred’.

Both ideas can be derived from the evolutionary narrative, but views tending towards the second idea are more prevalent than the views tending towards the first. But as G.K. Chesterton said a century ago:

“Darwinism can be used to back up two mad moralities, but it cannot be used to back up a single sane one. The kinship and competition of all living creatures can be used as a reason for being insanely cruel or insanely sentimental; but not for a healthy love of animals.… The main point of Christianity was this: that Nature is not our mother: Nature is our sister. We can be proud of her beauty, since we have the same father; but she has no authority over us; we have to admire, but not to imitate.”

An Atheist’s view of the material dimension is strongly influenced by their view of the ethical dimension.

Finaly the Conclusion:

Atheists often claim that their belief is not a religion. This allows them to propagate their beliefs in settings where other religions are banned, but this should not be so.

Contemporary Western Atheism unquestionably has six of the seven dimensions of religion set forth by Smart, and the remaining dimension, ritual, has also started to develop. Thus it’s fallacious to assert,“Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair colour”. Perhaps a better analogy would be calling a shaved head a “hairstyle”. Other than the denial of the divine, there is little difference between Atheism and other worldviews typically labelled as religions.

The dichotomy that Atheists try to create between science and religion is false. The conflict is between interpretations of science coming from different religious worldviews.

Atheism shouldn’t be taught or enforced in settings where other religions are banned and shouldn’t be favoured by laws which imply a religiously neutral government.
~~~~~~~~~~

Myth buster you ole chap, you are a devoted religious nut, with no spiritual fruit........

Location hidden

#645542 Jul 27, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>it is McKinsey's book that I do not trust, because it is contradictory, inconsistent and unreliable. You refuse to come to terms with that. You did not question DK when he was living and you should have before you trusted him. But it is unlikely you ever will because he's dead and realizing now there is life after death, someone told you McKinsey was the expert on the word of god and you can't get beyond that.
OK fine. Let's find a problem in the Bible and discuss it, then instead of posturing we can deal with what the verse in question actually says.

How about this:

Is it any wonder that Jesus' prophecy:

John 10:16 "... and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd." has never materialized. One can easily understand how a book as inconsistent as the Bible has given rise to more that fifteen hundred separate Christian denominations. The deficiency lies not so much with the preachers as the book from which they preach.

Tell me, is there one church or over 1500?

Location hidden

#645543 Jul 27, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Said the great Atheist Pol Pot. After the great Atheist killed 1.7 million people.
You attack Atheists because you can not deal with all the errors in your wholly babble. No one cares. You are only deceiving yourself and your fellow pew warmers.

Location hidden

#645544 Jul 27, 2013
http://creation.com/atheism-a-religion

Oh, BTW MB, Alan here is the link to all that....

Enjoy, your delusion.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#645545 Jul 27, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I recall Skeptic enjoying the heck out of the attention, he kept posting for several pages after I said I was bored and left off it. And it wasn't a hate thread except on Skeptic's part.
Hiding showed his/her true, vile self siding with a disgusting pig like Skeptic. Anyone who has ever read Skeptic's abusive posts to me knows they were uncalled for and anyone defending Skeptic's behavior is just as scummy as he/she is.
nice projection nano

Location hidden

#645546 Jul 27, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>I agree, but hitler will come up on almost every thread every 2500 posts. LOL
a christian 4 sure

Location hidden

#645547 Jul 27, 2013
Myth Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a big fan of Bill Maher. However, a guest on his show last night said that both sides of our civil war used the same verse of the damn bible to rationalize their position on slavery. Unfortunately, our country has always been infested with mentally retarded brainwashed godbots via Christian indoctrination.
I also am not a big fan of Bill Maher, but I also watch his show. And I watched it last night and that guest was wrong, they used the same Bible but not the same verses to rationalize their position on slavery. Which is one of the things pew warmers use to their advantage, if you want a verse for something, it is there, and if you want a verse against something it also is there.

Basically the Bible is multiple guess. And amazingly the pew warmers want the rest of us to join them in their confusion and contradiction. I never tire of posting their confusion and contradiction. But it is time to go eat lunch; we are having Dim Sum today and my favorite Loo Bok Gow. Yummm!

Location hidden

#645548 Jul 27, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything which has a beginning has a cause.
The universe has a beginning.
Therefore the universe has a cause.
God, unlike the universe, had no beginning, so doesn’t need a cause. In addition, Einstein’s general relativity, which has much experimental support, shows that time is linked to matter and space. So time itself would have begun along with matter and space. Since God, by definition, is the creator of the whole universe, he is the creator of time. Therefore He is not limited by the time dimension He created, so has no beginning in time—God is ‘the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity’(Is. 57:15). Therefore He doesn’t have a cause.
In contrast, there is good evidence that the universe had a beginning. This can be shown from the Laws of Thermodynamics, the most fundamental laws of the physical sciences.
1st Law: The total amount of mass-energy in the universe is constant.
2nd Law: The amount of energy available for work is running out, or entropy is increasing to a maximum.
I doubt that you can demonstrate the universe had a beginning.

You cannot demonstrate the existence of a god

I doubt you personally understand physics.

the god you imagine is a projection of your psyche, that is why the god is so evil

Location hidden

#645549 Jul 27, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You twit. I already posted that I did make one mocking/teasing him. It was not a hate thread. Please do try to show where it's tone was malicious like Skeptic's comments were to me.
you are a hate machine

do you claim to not know as much?

Location hidden

#645550 Jul 27, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Say what ever you want about the messenger it does not repair a single contradiction in Scripture. What you are proving is that you can not refute a single word in Biblical Errancy Magazine so you do instead all that is left for you to do, and that is attack the messenger.
You didn't even try to deal with the following problem, and for good reason, you can't as the only answer is the Bible fails us once again:
LOL,, you have lied to yourself so long that you actually believe that your " i am right" i have proven the Bible to be bad concept, has become your personal delusion of reallity..

I have refuted, and shown you your error about the Bible. But it is you who cant debate what i respond with...

The Bible hasnt failed you alan,, it's your "lack of knowledge" about the Bible and its meaning, and the way you take things out of context, to suit your delusion.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#645551 Jul 27, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Well well well, how tight your sphincter must be right about now.
As always an Atheist has to explain the Bible to a biblicist. Your biblical ignorance would have you held in contempt of court, probably fined for wasting the court's time and forced into spending the night in jail for being so willfully ignorant of what you preach from.
Jesus said, Jesus said, Jesus said. What makes Jesus an authority? Oh, and BTW Jesus also said:
JESUS: Luke 19:27, "But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me."
JESUS: Luke 14:26, "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters yes, even his own life he cannot be my disciple."
Clearly your are trying to deceive us. This is why Christians can NEVER be trusted to tell us what is in the Bible; you are all liars; deceitful, deceptive and dishonest liars.
I haven't read very many of your posts, but, they ones I have read are nothing but quote mining verses that are out of context and twisting them to mean what you want them to, which is outright lying.

I already showed how you deliberately misquoted the 19:27 verse in Luke, and as for the 14:26 one; Jesus was telling the people in his presence that if they loved their family, at all, they would not take up following him because there would be great sorrow for all involved. He was telling them that would be danger and pain ahead and a man that was even the tiniest bit happy with his family should remain with them. If you had read the chapter starting at verse 15 you would see that there men who were making excuses and Jesus was giving them a polite "out" by discussing the "cost" of being his full time acolyte. He wanted them to understand that being his disciple was not to be looked at as a hobby.

In Luke 19:10, Jesus said, "For the Son of man is come to seek and save that which is lost.", his target group were the spiritually weak and wounded, not those who were happy and well adjusted members of society. Wasn't one of his apostles a murderer when they first met?

Ah, crap, like you would ever consider stopping your out-of-context quote mining. Whatever.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#645552 Jul 27, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
nice projection nano
Whackjob.
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

#645557 Jul 27, 2013
Myth Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
Congratulations! You just posted one of the most hypocritical comments in the history of topix. Creationism isn't science and has absolutely no basis in reality.
You've just proven that you're a religiously brainwashed mentally retarded evolution and death denying cowardly fundiseased Christian redneck godbot and a dangerously delusional lunatic who should be institutionalized immediately, freak.
The priest says that there is no such thing as retardation.
Downs syndrome and Asperger syndrome were named after their creators.
You made up godbot.
Doctors who make up illness and call it a science should be
institutionalized in prison.
These people are socially abused when there is nothing wrong
with them.
Demeaning someone else because of your own stupidity just
makes you worthless. Tell them you are sorry.
And go sit in the corner until you can behave.

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

#645558 Jul 27, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
OK fine. Let's find a problem in the Bible and discuss it, then instead of posturing we can deal with what the verse in question actually says.
How about this:
Is it any wonder that Jesus' prophecy:
John 10:16 "... and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd." has never materialized. One can easily understand how a book as inconsistent as the Bible has given rise to more that fifteen hundred separate Christian denominations. The deficiency lies not so much with the preachers as the book from which they preach.
Tell me, is there one church or over 1500?
EVERY TIME you find a so called problem, it's been explained to you. EVERY TIME you ignore and move on to your next McKinsey point. How many times do we need to answer all your questions about the Bible? WHY don't you spend more time researching instead of being the fool?

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

#645559 Jul 27, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
You attack Atheists because you can not deal with all the errors in your wholly babble. No one cares. You are only deceiving yourself and your fellow pew warmers.
All the so called errors are in your brain washed mind. Pull your head out of the dead man's ass and have a debate, stop skipping around, stay on one point then answer back, why are you such a coward like McKinsey?

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#645560 Jul 27, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Look into the "Stargate Project" funded by the U. S. government.
From wiki:

The foregoing observations provide a compelling argument against continuation of the program within the intelligence community. Even though a statistically significant effect has been observed in the laboratory, it remains unclear whether the existence of a paranormal phenomenon, remote viewing, has been demonstrated. The laboratory studies do not provide evidence regarding the origins or nature of the phenomenon, assuming it exists, nor do they address an important methodological issue of inter-judge reliability.

Further, even if it could be demonstrated unequivocally that a paranormal phenomenon occurs under the conditions present in the laboratory paradigm, these conditions have limited applicability and utility for intelligence gathering operations. For example, the nature of the remote viewing targets are vastly dissimilar, as are the specific tasks required of the remote viewers. Most importantly, the information provided by remote viewing is vague and ambiguous, making it difficult, if not impossible, for the technique to yield information of sufficient quality and accuracy of information for actionable intelligence. Thus, we conclude that continued use of remote viewing in intelligence gathering operations is not warranted.
It sounds interesting, but it also seems to suffer from the same problems I noted earlier: researchers "interpreting" the free association of their test subjects. When you're looking for psi phenomena, and your subject says "books, grassy, death" you might decide he's talking about that picture of the kennedy assassination you're hiding.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#645561 Jul 27, 2013
Sorry, forgot to format. Top paragraph and about halfway through the second paragraph should be in quotes, the rest, from "it sounds" is me.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#645562 Jul 27, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I'm guessing you drink from the same water source as that senile cow, Water Nymph...
Do yourself a favor and get tested, Dr. Dimento.
I was right. You didn't think.

Still haven't, it seems.

Laffin. Youse funny!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min WasteWater 18,090
Testing. 1 hr ImPeach 3
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr Gods r Delusion x... 684,018
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 6 hr Tony 6,423
getting pregnant by much older man 9 hr George Justapose 5
Amazon's Jeff Bezzos worth 90 BILLION DOLLARS??! 9 hr George Justapose 2
Derrick Rose coming to Cavaliers REAL Class Act... 9 hr George Justapose 4
More from around the web