Prove there's a god.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#644845 Jul 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. I'm not saying that at all.
I'm saying was is taught as fact, especially from the scientific community that supposedly revels in fact and truth, should be a known fact before its taught as fact
Ok, so you're making a couple of mistakes here in blaming science for your ills.

First, when you read science, you complain about "we think, suggest, it may be, it looks like" etc

Second, when you read textbooks for grades k-12, you get "this is the state of science and this is what we know" and then never expect it to change because you want a cemented reality.

Well, sorry. Either learn how to read science, with it's very clear caveats and stop mindlessly criticizing them or accept that the stuff written for the masses is going to contain exaggerations and written in stone stuff that scientists would not publish.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#644846 Jul 25, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, we can agree that it's just a different word for exactly the same thing.
A linguistic change, is all. Makes no difference whatever, unless you're completely monoglottal.
I didn't even blink - I knew that Pluto was still doing its thing.
Really? Huh....

How did you know what Pluto was doing?

Did the same people that told you it was a planet also tell you what it's doing?

Think, man.

Some stable somewhere

#644847 Jul 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
*waits for Mythic Idiot to call you a religious retarded godbot*
*or something like that....*
by the way, what I wrote above was too strict - please take it with a grain of salt :)

Some stable somewhere

#644848 Jul 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
*waits for Mythic Idiot to call you a religious retarded godbot*
*or something like that....*
Oh! Oh, me, me! I can, I can!

You're a ... <reading card> a... religiously retarded ... uh ... godbot...

Did I get that right? Do I need a different voice? What's my motivation again?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#644849 Jul 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Sunday School isn't "A" school. Just like a school of thought isn't "A" school...
It's "A" class held on Sundays to teach children about their religion.
Literally, "indoctrination".

Look at that word in quotes carefully - you'll see familiar elements.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#644850 Jul 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

I never implied that. Just that it'd be nice if science thought and theory wouldn't be taught to our kids, just science fact.
macumazahn wrote:
And, again, you're misusing the word "Theory".
In what way did I misuse the word 'theory'?
You do know that it has a different definition in scientific circles, do you not?
Absolutely I do, which is why I wrote "science thought and theory". See that? "science theory"...
You're still using it as if it meant "get me a beer and listen up to this".
No I'm not, you're interpreting me that way.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#644852 Jul 25, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
"Churches listed in the Yearbook with the highest rate of membership loss are the United Church of Christ (down 6.01 percent), the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church (down 3.01 percent), the Presbyterian Church (USA)(down 2.79 percent), the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod (down 1.44 percent) and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (down 1.35 percent).
At slightly less than 2 billion, Christianity makes up about a third of the world population and approximately the same as the two next largest religions combined; Islam and Hinduism. Christianity is also the only religion represented in all 238 surveyed countries.

• The largest religion (Christianity) is aprox. 68% larger than the second largest religion (Islam) and 246% larger than the third largest religion (Hinduism).

• The nine smallest religions combined have fewer adherents than the third largest (Hinduism).

• And the eight smallest religions combined have fewer adherents than the fourth largest (Buddhism).

• The combined adherents of the three primary Abrahamic religions, Judaism, Christianity and Islam, makes up approximately 52.8%(3,202,240,666 persons) of the total population - more than half. Some times also Sikhism and the Bahá'í faith are counted as Abrahamic religions, in which case that number will be slightly higher.

• Non-religious people and people belonging to religions not part of the 12 world religions makes up slightly less than 27%. A smaller number than the largest religion, Christianity, but larger than the second largest religion, Islam.

Some stable somewhere

#644853 Jul 25, 2013
Myth Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
All rational people should be "thoroughly disgusted" at the blissful ignorance demonstrated in this forum on a daily basis by the likes of the mentally retarded Riverside Redneck and Retardo Fire and be working together to ban religious brainwashing.
See! RR, take notice!

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#644854 Jul 25, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
shakes hand.
Woohoo! We're both bots! Lets be friends.
The first rule of robotedness is ... ah, well, damn, I forget. Don't be evil?
LOL, that's a good start.

Diagree = ok.

Be mean = not ok.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#644855 Jul 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What else are they wrong about that we don't know yet?
Two major questions need to be addressed in regard to the alleged original writing of Scripture. First, was there an original copy of the Bible from which subsequent manuscripts were copied and, secondly, if there was such an original, and existing manuscripts are copies of that original, can we reconstruct or do we have an accurate copy of that original. In addressing the first question we noted that although there are thousands of manuscripts with similar and nearly identical texts, there were also thousands of variations. Because of the great number of differences, one would not be wise to assume there must have been a common source. Encyclopedias and cookbooks also bear a remarkable resemblance and one might assume they, too, had a common source. Although it is correct to say that the degree of similarity between biblical manuscripts is significantly higher than that between most encyclopedias and cookbooks, the difference is one of degree, not kind. It remains for believers in an original to prove it existed.

The second is even more important. Even if we assume an original existed, could one know what it said based on existing manuscripts? With thousands of variances between thousands of manuscripts, there is no way to definitely know an original's contents, despite apologetic assurances to the contrary. Hundreds of differences between translations bear witness to the fact that scholars can't agree on what various verses say, what they mean, and whether they should even be included in reconstruction of the Bible. The experts are clearly at loggerheads on many points and uncertain as to others. Unanimity is not the dominant theme by any means. Despite the uncertainty that permeates the process of translating and understanding, people are repeatedly told there is no reason to worry about the validity of translations or reconstruction of the "original."

Location hidden

#644856 Jul 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Stick with Sharkey. You two will keep racism alive and well.
Jesus could not save himself, why do you believe he will save you?

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#644857 Jul 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey there macafee, I'm not a creationsist. At least, not in the literal sense.
I know what it is, a change in the classification. I got it. I know that. But as a kid, I was taught it was DEFINATELY a planet.
The first time I heard there was "now" only 8 planets in our solar system, I was like O_o

Pluto was reclassified to what it is, a Very Large Kuiper Belt Object.(or KBO) Pluto was just the first to be seen. Haumea and Makemake, are along with Pluto in being Dwarf planets.
The triumph here is the knowledge of the whole system that's there.

Location hidden

#644859 Jul 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Is it an observable fact that Pluto is a planet? No? Then why was it taught to kids?
Is the BB an observable fact? No? Then why is it taught to kids?
Is the (lol) "fact" that insects are bourne of rotting meat a fact? No? Then why was it taught to kids.
You don't understand, you're too indoctrinated in your beliefs. You will NOT waiver.
You just make yourself look stupid when you make up problems to deal with instead of dealing with the ones that exist. I had a teacher in the 2nd grade and her name was Miss Jones and after she got married she instructed us to start calling her Mrs Smith. She was the same person but with a new name.

Did my teacher lie to us when she taught us her name was Miss Jones? Did she lie when she taught us her name was Mrs. Smith?

No, of course not. But you lie every time you pretend that this is a problem.

Some stable somewhere

#644860 Jul 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, that's a good start.
Diagree = ok.
Be mean = not ok.
Wash, rinse, repeat.
Ok, no be mean. I'd also like no be stupid!

grrrrrrrrrrrr

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#644861 Jul 25, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go being stupid again, theory explains facts.
Without theory there would be no way to explain the facts.
Fact ...The speed of light is 186,282 miles per second in a vacuum.
Theory to why.
E=MC^2
doofus
All these guys thought they had it right...

1676 Olaus Roemer
1726 James Bradley
1849 Armand Fizeau
1862 Leon Foucault
1879 Albert Michelson
1907 Rosa, Dorsay
1926 Albert Michelson
1947 Essen, Gorden-Smith
1958 K. D. Froome
1973 Evanson et al

1983 Adopted Value 299,792.458

So we just all now "know" we've got it right this time, yes?

Because, of course, all those other guys "knew" that had it right, too.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#644862 Jul 25, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, so you're making a couple of mistakes here in blaming science for your ills.
First, when you read science, you complain about "we think, suggest, it may be, it looks like" etc
Second, when you read textbooks for grades k-12, you get "this is the state of science and this is what we know" and then never expect it to change because you want a cemented reality.
Well, sorry. Either learn how to read science, with it's very clear caveats and stop mindlessly criticizing them or accept that the stuff written for the masses is going to contain exaggerations and written in stone stuff that scientists would not publish.
ooo lala

Scientific apologetics.

Neat!

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#644863 Jul 25, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh! Oh, me, me! I can, I can!
You're a ... <reading card> a... religiously retarded ... uh ... godbot...
Did I get that right? Do I need a different voice? What's my motivation again?
LMAO!

Too many "uhs" will make you like Obama...

"Look, uuhhhhh........."

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#644864 Jul 25, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
You just make yourself look stupid when you make up problems to deal with instead of dealing with the ones that exist. I had a teacher in the 2nd grade and her name was Miss Jones and after she got married she instructed us to start calling her Mrs Smith. She was the same person but with a new name.
Did my teacher lie to us when she taught us her name was Miss Jones? Did she lie when she taught us her name was Mrs. Smith?
No, of course not. But you lie every time you pretend that this is a problem.
Lol, you suck at analogies.

Did Miss Jones tell you age was a giraffe, then get married, become Mrs Jones and tell you she's a monkey?

Location hidden

#644865 Jul 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
OH! So close! You got all the way to 11:6. You have to keep reading, Rev...11:7 "Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."
Are all atheists as intellectually dishonest as you?
Here you are again making up problems to deal with instead of dealing with the one that exists.

Genesis 10:5, "By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their land; every one after his tongue ....,"

versus

Genesis 11:1 ("And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech") and Genesis 11:6 ("And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they all have one language").

Genesis 10:5 tells us each group of beings had their own language, and versus, Versus, VERSUS, Genesis 11:1 says there was only one language on the earth, this is called a CONTRADICTION. You know this but just want to cause problems to make it appear you have an answer that fixes the Bible and makes it all better. You don't.

Then Genesis 10:5 reinforces the false teaching that the people of the earth have only one language.

OK, so the earth was of different languages, and the earth had only one language. In the one language group God wants to go down to the earth and confuse everyone by giving them all a different language. THAT CHANGES NOTHING. You are grasping at straws because you have no answer because there is no answer other than the Bible is contradictory and unreliable and therefore it can't be trusted.

1 SAM. 6:19
("But God smote of the men of Beth-shemesh...50,070.... "--KJ, AS, NWT, NAS, MT)
versus
("the Lord smote 5,070 men of the people"--LV).
versus
("...he slew 70 men of them"--RS, LB, JB, BBE, NEB, NAB, TEV, NI)

Whether God killed 70 people or over 50,000 for a relatively innocuous act bears directly on the biblical teaching in Deut. 32:4, Psalm 9:8, etc. that God is just and righteous. Apparently this troubles scholars and accounts for the dramatic reduction in numbers in many recent translations.

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#644867 Jul 25, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Human beings do not exist to receive energy but to turn minerals into conscious thought. Humanity arose in this biosphere to add to the Universe, not take from it. Human beings see reality backwards. You are a machine and you are being used.
Now, can we talk about the terror of the situation?
LOL!!

That's my line, Rev. I have a long history of proposing us machines manifesting the consciousness of something higher.

You seem to be confused as to who you are serving, though.

"Humanity arose in this biosphere to add to the Universe,"

Uh huh. You are a machine, which you stated yourself, and you just "arose", eh? Magic poof? The "add to" is also an assumption on your part unless you have proof.

You are suffering from seeing no further than mankind, which you acknowledge are just machines. Of course, as a part of that machine that will be your focus. It takes something more to see beyond that.

You are focused way too much on the words of men, such as in the Bible, to be a non-believer. A true atheist has other things to spend their time on. Your messianic zeal to "expose" those lies in the Bible is the behavior of someone looking to start a new cult, not a non-believer in the supernatural.

That is just the way it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 min Here For Now 619,795
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min Rider on the Storm 31,775
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min kent 687,439
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 2 hr ChromiuMan 6,496
Trump: "Get that Son of a B- - - - off the fiel... 2 hr Love Trump 9
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 3 hr SmokinJoe 4,319
Popcorn time for movies and shows using VPN 3 hr Neil_Hines 3
More from around the web