Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
She's all yours.
I know.

Since: May 11

Ashford, UK

#643959 Jul 22, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Polymelia was probably common back then too.
Why?

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

#643960 Jul 22, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Try this and take the test
It only takes a few minutes and then you can argue from a fixed point
http://www.politicalcompass.org
Also see the analysis, you will find that Hitler was more or less centre but with a strong authoritarian tendency
The candidates in the last US elections were all just about the same.
The good traditional good guys,, The Dalai Klama, Nelson Mandella, Ganndi etc were all left wing liberal
I've taken this test a while ago. Like last year. I think it was you back then who made me look into it. It's a very interesting site. When I did it, I fell dead centre on the economic scale, and slightly below zero on the social scale.

Since: May 11

Ashford, UK

#643961 Jul 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh-huh.... ANd what scientific parents do? Teach children that nothing magically became something one time, then there was fish, then dinosaurs and now here we are. All from a magical, poofing big bang.
....magic man made it all from dirt.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#643962 Jul 22, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I don't care how they treated each other back then, why do you?
You don't care if the Bible you claim to be "true", isn't?

Hmmmmm....sounds like this is something that needs to be reconciled within your own being.

If you don't mind me asking, how will you do this?

Thanks for posting!

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

#643963 Jul 22, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you're radicalized, I don't even think you're violent. And I agree with you on the wrongs of the USA, and the products of people they have created through the ignorant actions of their elite power holders, and the greed of some of their politicians. If someone invaded my homeland, stole people out of their homes in the night for terrible interrogations, I'd sign up to kill them. And never stop until they were gone.
But your strange rants about atheists are out of character and I'm a bit worried about you, personally. You've never come across as this irrational before and I'm not quite sure what you're hoping to accomplish with such bizarre proclamations.
It's like you've decided that the posts of certain atheists are now generalizable to all atheists; that one person who wronged you must be representative of all people who share some characteristic with that person.
That's not clear thinking, and it's worrisome. Those kinds of declarations, little by little, if you allow and embrace them, turn you into the caricature of your (worthless) accusers.
Might I suggest taking a moment to assess who exactly it is you are answering in these posts, and why?
Points noted, and thanks for the heads up about myself. I was just quite shocked recently at the posts of some atheists here. Well there's always Myth Buster, who is forever in mental masturbation on banning religion internationally. That is nothing new. But then I found two others who support a one world government. There's aerobatty, who seems to think a one world government is the only solution to prevent human extinction. And then most surprising was that booots, a usually rational nice old man, who also believes in a one world government to clean up other countries ills, against their own sovereignity.

That is typical communist mentality. From their perspective, God doesn't exist of course. But their yearning for some kind of absolute power to control this world was a big revelation to me.

Maybe I am reading too much into it. Well, I hope I am. Others like DF don't care for absolute power. But for someone like booots to have that tendency was a big surprise.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#643964 Jul 22, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I do not think it is that big of a stretch. If I have to placr a bet, I would say another intelligent race would at least resemble our most basic traits.
Granted, we have only one intelligent race to base this assertion on, but we do now know our evolutionary path, so I do believe that some educated guesses can be made.
Vertibrates: Thus far, invertibrates or ecsoskeletal animals have been tremendously successful, but score very low on intelligence. Also, they seem not to attain great size. We will assume the same on planet Alien.
Land living: The fossil record indicates that organisms on land tend to evolve faster than their aquatic relatives. This is due to the fact that temperature and conditions change a lot faster on land than in the sea. Case in point, sharks. We will assume the same is true in the alien world.
Mammalian: It is also a good guess thatwe would classify them as mammals. To become intelligent, they simply have to have a culture. Mammals were the first animals who put such effort in to care for their young, teaching hunting techniques, mating rituals etc. The alien race would have the same traits, meaning they nuture their young, too.
Bipedal: Our big advancement were our ancestors were able to gain two front limbs used for manipulation by walking upright. These limbs are essential to evolve to the point we have. They have to have a paw with thumbs, a tentacle or a beak of some sort in order to manipulate the world around them and construct tools.
Vocal: They would need vocal chords and some form of language. To form a culture, one needs language. Period.
Short pregnancies: our cranium size exploded due to the larger brain. This meant that childbirth was becoming a problem, as our bipedal ancestors had to have narrower hips. Evolution solved the problem by making the human cycle only 9 months before the baby is born. You see, other animals give birth, and their young can almost immediately eat, walk or swim. Our infants must be fed, cannot walk, crawl, or even sit. Therefore, we have to give a great deal of care to our young, because of their helplessness.
Softer features: because of the abikity to use tools and weapons, horns, spikes, armor plating, etc need not be evolved, and if they are present, they will disappear within a few generations. Also, processed food is easier to eat, thus their jaws would not be massive, they will have softer jaws. Same with muscles. We dont need huge muscles because we have tools and weapons. We assume the same for them. Lastly, our sexual selection to a great deal is attraction. Symmetry we find attractive. Soft, friendly features. A good smile. Dimples. Methinks this woukd be true for them as well. That sexual selection does not favour the biggest and strongest anymore, perhals the most attractive or successful individuals.
Of course, this is utter speculation. But imethinks it is a lot closer to the truth than Star Trek.
Any opinions?
Yes you are as enchanted as Hollywood, there is little chance any life form encountered not from Earth or not made by Earthlings would resemble any life from Earth.
You are thinking in relative terms, and that life would be in identical conditions. But it is to a high degree more likely that alien life would be completely different and composed of different elements, or even a different state of matter.

“THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD;”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#643965 Jul 22, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
What about this "prophecy"?
JESUS:[John 14:12,] "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth in me, the works that I do shall he also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father."
But what believer has ever done a miracle greater than those preformed by Jesus?
please list the miracle that you have preformed that was greater than those alleged to Jesus.
His Apostles certainly did miracles in His name, and these miracles, done, have spread the good news to the entire world.

Those signs and wonders was done for the sole purpose of gettiing the "people" to believe in what Christ told them..

Any believer who has need of prayer to be answered is connected to God's Son who completes God's miracle, not that man can actually perform a miracle by his own person. In other words, God performs the miracle when we ask, in Jesus's name, according to His sovereign will.

Fate of Ananias and Sapphira

1But a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property,2and kept back some of the price for himself, with his wife’s full knowledge, and bringing a portion of it, he laid it at the apostles’ feet.3But Peter said,“Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land?4“While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”5And as he heard these words, Ananias fell down and breathed his last; and great fear came over all who heard of it.6The young men got up and covered him up, and after carrying him out, they buried him.

7Now there elapsed an interval of about three hours, and his wife came in, not knowing what had happened.8And Peter responded to her,“Tell me whether you sold the land for such and such a price?” And she said,“Yes, that was the price.”9Then Peter said to her,“Why is it that you have agreed together to put the Spirit of the Lord to the test? Behold, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out as well.”10And immediately she fell at his feet and breathed her last, and the young men came in and found her dead, and they carried her out and buried her beside her husband.11And great fear came over the whole church, and over all who heard of these things.

12At the hands of the apostles many signs and wonders were taking place among the people; and they were all with one accord in Solomon’s portico.13But none of the rest dared to associate with them; however, the people held them in high esteem.14And all the more believers in the Lord, multitudes of men and women, were constantly added to their number,15to such an extent that they even carried the sick out into the streets and laid them on cots and pallets, so that when Peter came by at least his shadow might fall on any one of them.16Also the people from the cities in the vicinity of Jerusalem were coming together, bringing people who were sick or afflicted with unclean spirits, and they were all being healed.

http://biblehub.com/acts/5.htm

John 4:48 "Unless you people see signs and wonders," Jesus told him, "you will never believe."

The raising of the dead done by the disciples, "which JESUS commanded "them" to do" and the many other miracles performed was granted "by God" through Jesus. For a specific purpose.

Albuquerque, NM

#643966 Jul 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh....
I'm not rich and neither are my kids.
God seems to be watching over them...
I just knew it!!

You are Paul Bunyan and ran out of forests to chop, and now can't find Johnny Appleseed anywhere to lay some more seeds, huh?

All you "gods" who have gotten dismissed, seem to end posting in Topix.

:o)

Albuquerque, NM

#643967 Jul 22, 2013
typo -*end up posting in Topix.

My bad.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#643968 Jul 22, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
....magic man made it all from dirt.
Your magic story is that a magical nothing magically turned nothing into something and put that magic something in a mud puddle that magically poofed into the first life on earth.

Albuquerque, NM

#643969 Jul 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So..... Before there was proof of DNA, there was no DNA.
Gotcha.
You forgot a couple of words.....

"Before there was proof of DNA, there was no <<proof of>> DNA."

There - corrected it for you.

No apology needed.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#643970 Jul 22, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I just knew it!!
You are Paul Bunyan and ran out of forests to chop, and now can't find Johnny Appleseed anywhere to lay some more seeds, huh?
All you "gods" who have gotten dismissed, seem to end posting in Topix.
No sir, I am not Paul Bunyan.

But I do offer a variety of quilted disposable towels :)

“e pluribus unum”

primus inter pares

#643971 Jul 22, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe you could play mumbley peg with him...
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/06/07/mumb...
...and do some manly bonding.
lol
It's all fun and games 'til somebody loses a toe.
xD
He is mad because my swartz is bigger than his.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#643972 Jul 22, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot a couple of words.....
"Before there was proof of DNA, there was no <<proof of>> DNA."
There - corrected it for you.
No apology needed.
No that doesn't work.

"cuz Alan said (several times), "no proof = no god", NOT "no proof = no <<proof of>> god"...

By his logic, "no proof of DNA = no DNA"

“e pluribus unum”

primus inter pares

#643973 Jul 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, I'm good.

I just blew my nose, complements to you the towel was strong enough to hold up to it. lol

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#643974 Jul 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I just blew my nose, complements to you the towel was strong enough to hold up to it. lol
LMAO!

And you can rinse it off an re-use it!

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#643975 Jul 22, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Polymelia was probably common back then too.
" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymelia" ;
Notice the reference to ducks/fowl.
One does not know that it was - and even IF it was, how does having extra limbs relate to anything?

“e pluribus unum”

primus inter pares

#643976 Jul 22, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I can't believe that guys actually enjoyed "playing" that. Men can be so stupid.
Well we pulled the heads off all the GI Joe's so fire crackers, ant beds and mumbly peg and dont forget war with the paint ball gun are in. When we grow up we get to meet people in strange lands and then kill them. What's there not to believe about it/?

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#643977 Jul 22, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately with pew warmers as divorced from reality as is nano that is really all one can do; not participate. Sometimes one has to accept that a pew warmers is just too far gone and cut ones loses.
No proof = no god.
I'd argue the point that no proof =/= no god...

...and that...

no proof = no proof.

I know where you're coming from, though.

Take those posters showing up on THIS thread, responding to the OP, with the challenge, "Prove there isn't!"

Why?

The post they're responding to doesn't make the claim that there is no god.

...and...

If not having proof of their god's non-existence is valid reason to believe it does exist...

...then...

They can be provided with a very, very, very long list of things that they should also believe exists.

They have no proof wolpertingers don't exist either.

Why don't they believe wolpertingers exist?

Why don't they demand proof wolpertingers don't exist?

Why isn't there any proof wolpertingers don't exist?

It's for the same reason they don't have any proof wolpertingers do exist.

Ergo...

There is no proof their god doesn't exist.

One possible reason for that is..........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 28 min AussieBobby 46,044
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 39 min MUQ2 92,793
Witches and Warlocks will burn in Hell ! (Oct '11) 59 min Paige 26
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr truth 183,653
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr UIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 619,238
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr truth 667,983
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr onemale 286,102
More from around the web