Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Thought you might like this program.
I was alarmed to hear as many as 20,000 people are killed a year in Africa by snakes. I am like gee wiz, and we worry about half that figure murdered by guns in the states. Which brings me to the conclusion , Africa needs to ban snakes.
http://video.pbs.org/video/1321600279/
Well if you research the number of deaths on South African roads each year, you'd think South Africa needs to ban cars.

:)

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Thought you might like this program.
I was alarmed to hear as many as 20,000 people are killed a year in Africa by snakes. I am like gee wiz, and we worry about half that figure murdered by guns in the states. Which brings me to the conclusion , Africa needs to ban snakes.
http://video.pbs.org/video/1321600279/
Well, Africa has a lot of killers. The three big ones are AIDS, Malaria and war. They rotate for top spot annually.

Snakes, however, do kill their fair share. And the 20,000 people are only medically confirmed. I would expect even double that figure to be the true death toll.

We have some really bad ones. You know about the Black and Green Mamba, but we have some other very deadly ones too: The Cape Cobra, Egyptian Cobra, Gaboon Viper, Puff Adder, Sea Snake, Coral Snake, Zebra Snake, Mozambique Spitting Cobra, Rinkhals, Boomslang, Twig Snake and Forrest Cobra. Deadly beasties.

Problem is that treatment for sbakebite is not easy. Most bites from aforementioned snakes are to be treated using anti-venom (some species, like the boomslang, does not have anti-venom, you have to treat the symptoms). Problem with this is that anti-venom IS STILL HIGHLY TOXIC. If you were bitten by a cobra and use Mamba anti-venom, you still die. If you were bitten by a harmless snake and misidentified it as a deadly one, injecting yourself with any anti-venom woukd cost you your life.

And therein lies the big issue. Most people misidentify snakes. Also, snakes sometimes have roughly the same type of venom, meaning even a doctor can mistake the symptoms.

For example. The Black Mamba is a dark olive green to grey, and very long. It gets confused with a forrest cobra (also dark colour, also long) very easily. It also gets confused withthe harmless Mole Snake (2m long, blck). Then the Zebra Snake can look like a Rinkhals. The harmless bush snake can be misidentified as a boomslang. The Boomslang can be misidentified as green Mamba. Then, the Zebra Snake's toxin has much the same effect as The Puff Adder's. The Rinkhals with a cobra. And so the list goes on and on.

Here is a tip. When a snake bites you here or in Australia, KILL IT. Take it with you to hospital and have it correctly identified.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if you research the number of deaths on South African roads each year, you'd think South Africa needs to ban cars.
Lol. Bush could very easily have attacked us, as he did Saddam. We *do* have a WMD. It called our roads...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Well it's the best thing to assume, if one doesn't know anything about snakes. Regard them all as dangerous.
Like I said. If you were bitten by snake you do not know, kill it, take it to hospital with you. Even you, living in SA, do you know how to tell the difference between a juvenile Black Mamba and your average Brown House Snake? Can you honestly tell the difference between the Tree Snake and the Boomslang?

Even me, that has lots of experience with them, I would rather take the snake along than stand a chance to misidentify it

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol now that I can relate to. These days, I am losing my ability to know what day it is. Last Thursday morning I was sure it was only Tuesday.
Best bit: I have stopped drinking. Must be getting old
Good grief.

Why would you do...

Never mind. If it works for you, it works.

What's her name?

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, Africa has a lot of killers. The three big ones are AIDS, Malaria and war. They rotate for top spot annually.
Snakes, however, do kill their fair share. And the 20,000 people are only medically confirmed. I would expect even double that figure to be the true death toll.
We have some really bad ones. You know about the Black and Green Mamba, but we have some other very deadly ones too: The Cape Cobra, Egyptian Cobra, Gaboon Viper, Puff Adder, Sea Snake, Coral Snake, Zebra Snake, Mozambique Spitting Cobra, Rinkhals, Boomslang, Twig Snake and Forrest Cobra. Deadly beasties.
Problem is that treatment for sbakebite is not easy. Most bites from aforementioned snakes are to be treated using anti-venom (some species, like the boomslang, does not have anti-venom, you have to treat the symptoms). Problem with this is that anti-venom IS STILL HIGHLY TOXIC. If you were bitten by a cobra and use Mamba anti-venom, you still die. If you were bitten by a harmless snake and misidentified it as a deadly one, injecting yourself with any anti-venom woukd cost you your life.
And therein lies the big issue. Most people misidentify snakes. Also, snakes sometimes have roughly the same type of venom, meaning even a doctor can mistake the symptoms.
For example. The Black Mamba is a dark olive green to grey, and very long. It gets confused with a forrest cobra (also dark colour, also long) very easily. It also gets confused withthe harmless Mole Snake (2m long, blck). Then the Zebra Snake can look like a Rinkhals. The harmless bush snake can be misidentified as a boomslang. The Boomslang can be misidentified as green Mamba. Then, the Zebra Snake's toxin has much the same effect as The Puff Adder's. The Rinkhals with a cobra. And so the list goes on and on.
Here is a tip. When a snake bites you here or in Australia, KILL IT. Take it with you to hospital and have it correctly identified.
IIRC, hippos kill more people than any other African animal...

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. Bush could very easily have attacked us, as he did Saddam. We *do* have a WMD. It called our roads...
What's that line from "Out of Africa"?

"Out of the way, you stupid Kaffir! You know, they kill three or four of 'em a week on this stretch"...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Good grief.
Why would you do...
Never mind. If it works for you, it works.
What's her name?
Ah, her name is like the African sunrise, the summer rain. The strike of lightning during a storm, the stillness of wind on the plains. Her name is an eruption, an explosion, an orgasm.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

yawn

I must have read a thousand magazine articles and books, and seen that many "documentaries" on the mystique of the "Dark Continent". At least.

Only he-men white men can live there. Fearless super studs. Big bwanas. Just ask them.

Can we change the channel?

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay.
You've peaked my interest.
Where?
Link?
Anything?
You have no proof, RR.
No one does.
Yes, I know. I'm just messin with the village idiot.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>IIRC, hippos kill more people than any other African animal...
Well, it all depends on your interpretation of animal. If by 'animal', you reckon insects in, as well, the mosquito wins by a mile. More than all Africa's animals combined.

If you do not include mosquitos, then snakes are the biggest killer. Hippos do kill, but they are considered a 'maneater'- biting you to death. Hippos kill more people than lions, crocodile, sharks and buffalo put together. So yes, of all the teeth and claw animals, they are top. But snakes claim over 20k people that are verified and perhaps 20k more. Reason for this, is snakes are everywhere

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

timn17 wrote:
The point is - I don't care how exactly your translation of choice is compiled,
Then stay ignorant.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>What's that line from "Out of Africa"?
"Out of the way, you stupid Kaffir! You know, they kill three or four of 'em a week on this stretch"...
Lol you have watched that? I thought I was the only one

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:

Try "the most honest" version.
Hukt on Fonix wrote:

Now THAT'S hilarious!
Why?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>IIRC, hippos kill more people than any other African animal...
Also, hippopotamus is a single species. Snakes are a family of species

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Yep. You do understand that if you believe there is a possibility that your god inspired mohammed, you should seriously looking into converting to islam. But you won't, because you are lying
Ok.

Hey thanks, Dr Phil.

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, they didn't. Just the machines went away.
That was when the dratted things were about the size of a king-sized bed.
Lol, you said dratted.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
yawn
I must have read a thousand magazine articles and books, and seen that many "documentaries" on the mystique of the "Dark Continent". At least.
Only he-men white men can live there. Fearless super studs. Big bwanas. Just ask them.
Can we change the channel?
Not SA. We certainly have wildlife, but big, flourishing cities, too.

But its okay, if you think Double Fine is a he-man, continue to do so :)

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a master at pigeon chess.
RR is an ignorant hick who thinks he's cute.

For me, he has become utterly tiresome.

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet you still think those people, who thought the sun revolved around the Earth had the "truth"?
That would be your mind believing what you want.
Self - no other man/woman have any control over that, huh?
BTW - tell me when "God" helps you out the next time, okay?
No, not at all. I'm saying that we are less ignorant about translating ancient text today than the English were 400 years ago when those 6 men created the KJV.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 610,461 - 610,480 of680,865
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

673 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
How come the president doesn't use his BIRTH NAME? 4 min Doctor REALITY 15
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 6 min RiccardoFire 36,113
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 7 min USA Born 109,749
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min Michael 512,325
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 9 min RiccardoFire 89,606
Proof Jesus never existed (Aug '09) 9 min Doctor REALITY 12,239
The sad REALITY of being a gay atheist 12 min Doctor REALITY 12
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 16 min number four 217,208
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 28 min Boomboompow 280
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr pusherman_ 596,623
•••
•••
•••