Prove there's a god.

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

Comments (Page 30,516)

Showing posts 610,301 - 610,320 of679,314
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642593
Jul 18, 2013
 
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>ChowN, yes. Damned typos - and I just had a man with a ferret in.
And "We Need To Talk About Kelvin."
Man with a ferret in?

In what!?!?

BTW...

How's the noggin?

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642594
Jul 18, 2013
 
Hukt wouldn't complain one bit if Topix would just do away with the judgits altogether.

They're nothing but a nuisance.

“I'm not Religious ”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642595
Jul 18, 2013
 
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
YAY!!!
Now let's go to Del Taco for some genuine Mexican food...
Back in 1986 I flew with my then girlfriend out to Des Moines Iowa to meet her family.
One of her cousins (I'll call him Punky) comes up to me and says "you're Mexcan ain't ya!?"
It was half way between a statement and a question.
I said "yup! That I am"
He said "well.... We got good Mexican food out here, its called Taco Bell.... You ever hear of it?"
"Nope!" I said "but I'd sure be interested in trying your so called Taco Bell"

Ohhhh..... The memories......

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642596
Jul 18, 2013
 
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
Hukt wouldn't complain one bit if Topix would just do away with the judgits altogether.
They're nothing but a nuisance.
Get an iPhone, you can't even see them.

It's wonderful.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642597
Jul 18, 2013
 
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol
I got questioned (and subsequently NOT hired) for writing "American" in the 'other' box.
Once upon a time, I worked for a copier service company. Fixing stuff.

Got a call one day to go to a prominent defence contractor - it might have been Rockwell - they make rocket bits.
I filled out a whole entry form, and where it said "Citizen of" I put down "Éire". That's the Republic of Ireland.

I had all the guts torn out of this massive office copier (remember those?) when a security guy came and escorted me off the premises. leaving the machine scattered all over Hell's half acre.

To this day I do not know who put it back together.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642598
Jul 18, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're trying to tell us the "real meaning" of what Jesus said.
Hypocrite.
He's saying jesus said what he said. Christians are the ones who tell us all about "context" and "the real meaning."

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642599
Jul 18, 2013
 

Judged:

1

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you did assume. You claimed to know that I think all other religions are myths and now you're trying to justify your assumptions with more assumptions.
Knock it off, don't be an ass.
If you assume something about someone, ASK.
You're just being dumb. It's not an assumption if I have good reason to believe it. You are a christian. Therefore, you believe in jesus, original sin, all that jazz - so you must necessarily consider all other religions myths.

Tell me I'm wrong. We both know I'm not.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642600
Jul 18, 2013
 
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
We now have a Comitee on Bible Translation...
http://www.niv-cbt.org/
...thats responsible for any and all translations of the Bible to be as accurate as possible. All proposed changes are studied and examined by committee members, discussed and voted on. Changes are not made easily.
So?

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642601
Jul 18, 2013
 
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Back in 1986 I flew with my then girlfriend out to Des Moines Iowa to meet her family.
One of her cousins (I'll call him Punky) comes up to me and says "you're Mexcan ain't ya!?"
It was half way between a statement and a question.
I said "yup! That I am"
He said "well.... We got good Mexican food out here, its called Taco Bell.... You ever hear of it?"
"Nope!" I said "but I'd sure be interested in trying your so called Taco Bell"
Ohhhh..... The memories......
Ahahaha!!!! Serious?

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642602
Jul 18, 2013
 
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Once upon a time, I worked for a copier service company. Fixing stuff.
Got a call one day to go to a prominent defence contractor - it might have been Rockwell - they make rocket bits.
I filled out a whole entry form, and where it said "Citizen of" I put down "Éire". That's the Republic of Ireland.
I had all the guts torn out of this massive office copier (remember those?) when a security guy came and escorted me off the premises. leaving the machine scattered all over Hell's half acre.
To this day I do not know who put it back together.
I remember those giant copy machines.

Why did they make you leave?!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642603
Jul 18, 2013
 

Judged:

1

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
...Compared to the KJV version, who's 'committee' was an ignorant king.
I have no dog in this fight and I don't care which translation suits your fancy. My point is, no one can claim to have the "best" translation when we aren't dealing with word for word translations, because there will always be others who tout theirs as the best. It's a matter of which decoder ring you're wearing

Is the NIV word for word? No. It makes assumptions too, just based on a protestant pauline ideology. That's why you like it.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642604
Jul 18, 2013
 
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Where'd you get that crap from?
Any examples?
Some of the verses are particularly problematic, CBMW says, including two verses in Paul's letters which CBMW says leaves room open for female pastors or apostles.

"Our gender decisions were made on the basis of very careful and significant research ... and the decisions we've made about gender have no motivation of not offending people," he told Baptist Press, explaining that the committee used the Collins Bank of English, a database of 4.4 billion words showing how people are speaking and writing. "The motivation, rather, is to communicate clearly to people what we think arguably is contemporary English."

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642605
Jul 18, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You're just being dumb. It's not an assumption if I have good reason to believe it. You are a christian. Therefore, you believe in jesus, original sin, all that jazz - so you must necessarily consider all other religions myths.
Tell me I'm wrong. We both know I'm not.
You're wrong. You just don't know it.

Actually, I think there *may* be some merit to current and ancient, extinct religions.

I've posted before that I can't see why God would care what you call Him, so long as you worship Him.

You're wrong.

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642606
Jul 18, 2013
 
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>So?
So?

So?!

Dude...

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642607
Jul 18, 2013
 

Judged:

1

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It is beyond your freethinking abilities.
I don't expect you to understand.
No. Show me evidence of your deity and I will convert. I guarantee you cannot honestly say the same thing about any other religion.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642608
Jul 18, 2013
 
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Wait till he gets to the bit about the three-particle conundrum. That crossed my eyes, even.
Laffin'.
Why does that phrase ring a bell with me?(three-particle conundrum)

We're not talking scalar interactions are we?

Hope not.

My head'll explode.
And thank you for the compliment.
You're welcome, sir.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642609
Jul 18, 2013
 
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
RR is the final arbiter of the only acceptable version.
I await his response so I may be enlightened.
It'll be...

"It's the most modern version."

...or sumpthun.

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642610
Jul 18, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I have no dog in this fight and I don't care which translation suits your fancy. My point is, no one can claim to have the "best" translation when we aren't dealing with word for word translations, because there will always be others who tout theirs as the best. It's a matter of which decoder ring you're wearing
Is the NIV word for word? No. It makes assumptions too, just based on a protestant pauline ideology. That's why you like it.
You're wrong again.

I prefer the NIV because it's made by a worldwide team of scholars that kept as close as possible to the original texts.

I also prefer it because we know A LOT more now about Ancient Greek and Hebrew than we did 400 years ago. Hell, we know more now than we did 50 years ago.

As languages change, translations and the usage of words must change with it. The scholars that created the NIV strived to keep it as original as possible while still understandable to English speaking people of today.

Language changes, meanings change. Do you still "don your gay apparel" at Christmas? I doubt it.

So if the bible had something like "don we now our gay apparel", do you think it would make sense to people today? No, it has to be altered - changed to the same meanings with different words. You'd probably read "putting on your happy clothes".

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642611
Jul 18, 2013
 

Judged:

1

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong. You just don't know it.
Actually, I think there *may* be some merit to current and ancient, extinct religions.
I've posted before that I can't see why God would care what you call Him, so long as you worship Him.
You're wrong.
You are working under the assumption that everyone is secretly worshiping your god without knowing it. You are also ignoring what it means to say that a religion is a myth - we aren't talking about worship, we are talking about the specific claims made by a religion. Do you believe that mohammed's visions to have actually happened, inspired by your christian god? Or do you think that islam as a whole is a myth?

“I'm not Religious ”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#642612
Jul 18, 2013
 
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahahaha!!!! Serious?
True story. They were great people :)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 610,301 - 610,320 of679,314
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

622 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 min RiversideRedneck 216,331
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 4 min -USA-1 37,809
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min Oxbow 511,671
Read " SONS OF THUNDER" by Robert Epperly 7 min Tom 1
Bush Vetoes Stem Cell Bill (Jul '06) 10 min swedenforever 163
Dubai Massage Body to Body Service in Dubai 05... 11 min Dubai Massage 0553405368 4
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 14 min wilderide 89,387
teen snapchat nudes 1 hr TheFrozenJogurt 103
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 5 hr JACK 216
•••
•••
•••