Prove there's a god.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#642863 Jul 19, 2013
Myth Buster wrote:
The most despicable human beings in history are the founders of organized religion.
The most despicable human beings alive today are the perpetuators of the greatest hoax of all-time and responsible for creating the likes of Riverside Redneck, Covert Stealth Op, psalms 23, nanoanomaly, Truth Signed In, True Truth, Riccardo Fire, Dave Nelson, Al Garcia and Waaasssuuup.
The following article on a local cult evicting their former pastor shouldn't surprise anyone.
Church Members Throw Out Their Preacher:
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2013-07-18/new...
Nicely said. Who was it who said that religion was invented when the first Con-artist met the first fool?

And still no proof that this invisible sky fairy exists.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#642864 Jul 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Then stay ignorant.
Like you?

Btw, congrats on picking up a physics book.

It's an addictive subject.

Location hidden

#642865 Jul 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're exaggerating. I never said its better than all the others.
I said: The NIV is a better, more accurate translation than the KJV.
Got it?
That is only an opinion, completely worthless. The NIV, Notoriously Inaccurate Version is just that, notoriously inaccurate.

Mark 15:21, "And they compelled a passerby, Simon of Cyrene, who was coming in from the country, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to carry his cross." (ESV)

John 19:17, "And he went out, bearing his own cross, to the place called The Place of a Skull, which in Aramaic is called Golgotha.(ESV)

So, who carried the cross? Jesus carried it himself or Simon of Cyrene carried it.

This is proof that the Bible contains errors and therefore can not be the work of a perfect God.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#642866 Jul 19, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, you're right. I was thinking of vertebrates, rather than insects.

About two million a year from malaria alone.

Who the hell thought that withdrawing DDT was a good idea again?
Do you remember the films showing them spraying DDT over picnicking people to show how safe it was.

That was extreme, but DDT could literally be saving millions of lives.

Location hidden

#642867 Jul 19, 2013
In Mark's gospel, the brothers James and John asked to sit at the side of Jesus in Heaven.

Mark 10:35-37, "And James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came up to him and said to him, "Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you." And he said to them, "What do you want me to do for you?" And they said to him, "Grant us to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your glory." (ESV)

On the other hand, Matthew has it that the request came from their mother:

Matthew 20:20-21, "Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came up to him with her sons, and kneeling before him she asked him for something. And he said to her, "What do you want?" She said to him, "Say that these two sons of mine are to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your kingdom." (ESV)

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#642868 Jul 19, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
Okay peeps.
Double Fine is really sorry to abandon y'all just when we start debating the interesting and insightful "KJV vs NIV Bible" topic. Double Fine is truly sorry that he will miss this discussion. <--- insert sarcasm sign here
Anyways. Double Fins going home and over the day! May the blessed hand of humility be upon you. May Double Fine's awesomeness be bestowed upon you.
Greetings from
The Shaman of Sexy
The Guru of Greatness
The Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla
The Eternally Omnipotent Dark Horse
Fine. Refined. Double Fine
Yeah. It's pretty boring stuff.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#642869 Jul 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Got it?
So? A high resolution photo of my excrement is still a photo of excrement.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#642870 Jul 19, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>I suspect that people develope deep-seeded negative views toward God based on how they have been treated.
one does not develop a negative view of the non-existent deity. It is the failed philosophy and the immoral adherents which contribute to a dismissive attitude.

You prevarication contributes.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#642871 Jul 19, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>When Jesus is referred to as the son of man in the bible the word son is spelled "Son", with a capital letter.
If you had read that entire, brief, chapter in Job you would have seen that it was describing "men" in general and not Jesus.
Good point nano, because one can find plenty of results on the "meaning(s)" of the 'Son of Man'.

Tobias Churton in his book, "Gnostic Philosophy: From Ancient Persia to Modern Times"

http://www.amazon.com/Gnostic-Philosophy-Anci...

Gives a great explanation of the meaning.

And you actually were pretty close to what he explains the title represents - "a redeemed Redeemer", "a man of men" - and a similar comparison.

These types of terms have been circulating for millenia.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#642872 Jul 19, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>That's because you're biblically ignorant.
Very true. I know very little about the Bible.

You will note that I never discuss it.

It's irrelevant to my life.

Since: May 11

Ashford, UK

#642873 Jul 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh you're just mad that your English poppy's did a piss poor job and the Americans did it right.
On what level do you think an atheist experiences national pride over a book which he considers to be nonsense?

Of course the 100 'scholars'(from USA, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa) just came up came up another piece of nonsense.

Catcher1

Fremont, CA

#642874 Jul 19, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. Good ones.
Perske
When I lived in Amsterdam, I knew a young lady by the name of Lieneke.

I thought that was a truly beautiful name.

Catcher1

Fremont, CA

#642875 Jul 19, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>:"Peach"?
I'll buy that.
Tell her I said "Hi!".
Poor name: Paling.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#642877 Jul 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not at all. I'm saying that we are less ignorant about translating ancient text today than the English were 400 years ago when those 6 men created the KJV.
I think you are confusing two different eras or your source is skewed.

325 CE - 318 bishops put together the "Constantine Bible"
1604 CE - King James begins the process to submit for publishing a new edition of an older Puritan translation.

Please post the citation that shows six men created the KJV.

KJV:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorized_King_...

Daniell, David (2003). The Bible in English: its history and influence. New Haven, Conn: Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-09930-4

"In January 1604, King James I of England convened the Hampton Court Conference where a new English version was conceived in response to the perceived problems of the earlier translations as detected by the Puritans,[6] a faction within the Church of England.[7]

James gave the translators instructions intended to guarantee that the new version would conform to the ecclesiology and reflect the episcopal structure of the Church of England and its belief in an ordained clergy.[8] The translation was done by 47 scholars, all of whom were members of the Church of England."

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#642882 Jul 19, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
That is only an opinion, completely worthless. The NIV, Notoriously Inaccurate Version is just that, notoriously inaccurate.
That is only an opinion, completely worthless.
Myth Buster

Prescott, AZ

#642883 Jul 19, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
Who was it who said that religion was invented when the first Con-artist met the first fool?
I don't know, but it's a great quote so I'll take credit!

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

#642884 Jul 19, 2013
Myth Buster wrote:
The most despicable human beings in history are the founders of organized religion.
The most despicable human beings alive today are the perpetuators of the greatest hoax of all-time
Better jump off a bridge because you have a lot of family and ancestors that were involved in your problem with organized or unorganized religion. It's in your blood, dig a hole, be plant food.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#642886 Jul 19, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
Mark 15:21, "And they compelled a passerby, Simon of Cyrene, who was coming in from the country, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to carry his cross." (ESV)
John 19:17, "And he went out, bearing his own cross, to the place called The Place of a Skull, which in Aramaic is called Golgotha.(ESV)
So, who carried the cross? Jesus carried it himself or Simon of Cyrene carried it.
This is proof that the Bible contains errors and therefore can not be the work of a perfect God.
If you knew better, you'd know that Jesus started carrying His own cross, but became too weak to continue and Simon was recruited to carry it to Golgotha.

IF...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#642887 Jul 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Got it?
timn17 wrote:
So? A high resolution photo of my excrement is still a photo of excrement.
uh-huh.... Why can't you admit that you were wrong?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#642888 Jul 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Very true. I know very little about the Bible.
You will note that I never discuss it.
It's irrelevant to my life.
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/07/18/lon...

Keep your business cards handy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min Bongo 16,324
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 min Michael 683,799
What Your Church Won't Tell You by Dave and Gar... (Apr '10) 1 hr real 33,212
So how exactly did O.J. Simpson pull off a doub... 5 hr common sense 19
the REAL reason for General Motors sales slumps 7 hr Disappointed US V... 7
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 hr Born Again Past JW 619,696
I hate Haiti (Jan '10) 14 hr BLACK LIVES DONT ... 108
More from around the web