|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ever come across an effective snake repellent?
22's are pretty good. Corner them and shoot at their head. They tend to kiss the bullet by striking at it.

As far as your yard goes, finely broken glass on the perimeter a foot or so will help. They don't like slithering over sharp stuff. They used to use broken oyster shells around the New Orleans airport to reduce the snakes on the runways.

You have to get the snakes out of the yard for it to do much good. Look for snake holes.

Never tried it, but my father was an old Canadian farm boy who relayed some lore about snakes to me. He said you put a stake in the ground and tap it, and the snakes will come to it. Hoop snakes were also part of his lore.:-)

I do know out in the desert snakes can feel you walking and try to get out of the way.

Mating season is the worst time for snakes. That is when they get on the move.
Greens - tuf

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like you really and truly weren't looking forward to the event.
Worry is something that I have gotten away from in later years. Can't say it has helped me much in previous years.
But there is something running us other than us. Had plenty of experience with that.
Don't always get what you want, but often what you need.
Pain makes life much richer. When you can look back at it. Not so rich when you are in it.
I totally agree.
"Something is running us"
And true, " Don't always get what you want, but often what you need". Nice :)
Greens - tuf

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Chlorinated pool water I guess...<throws hands up> who knows?
lol
You cannot beat a saltwater pool.
But that attracts the salt water crocs.
You just cannot win in this material form. Oh well.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Spiders are not evil, Dave. They're beautiful, complex creatures.
They are at their prettiest when they have their legs folded under them. Laying there all nice and still and pretty. I encourage them to do that. I have a special perfume for them.

“saved From jesus”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Wasps are evil. Unlike bees, that can only sting once, a single wasp can sting several times and come back again for more.
But, if you leave them alone, chances are they won't bother you. I've put this to the test. I have wasp nests all around my property, and we have a working relationship.
Greens - tuf

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
They may be complex... But no River..thy aren't beautiful...Oh no...not beautiful at all.

Charlotte's Web ??

Surely that was a beautiful spider.

Poor Charlotte :(

“saved From jesus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my...and I'm afraid of a wasp...I would have moved...like outta the state. I hate spiders and pretty much anything that crawls...except babies of course. But eww...a scorpion would send me packing quick!
Why would you hate those things? They're quite beautiful. Don't you mean you're just afraid of them?

“I speak my mind”

Since: Sep 10

It hurts to bite my tongue

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Greens - tuf wrote:
<quoted text>
Charlotte's Web ??
Surely that was a beautiful spider.
Poor Charlotte :(
well...as much as I hate them..the big black and yellow garden spiders do have neat looking webs...with the spiral down the middle. We had one a couple years ago that had a huge web on my front porch. Thankfully it was att the end of the porch and out of the way. For some reason...I refused to let my husband tear that web down. It was pretty awesome...and I actually called that spider Charlotte...she hung out for awhile..Lol. I did, however, keep my distance.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for the nightmare material, and goodnight.
I forgot to tell you about the clacking and chittering as a hundred of them scuttle across the road. Claws up in the air if you are near them. Scary sound and scary sight.

There was a good sci fi book about a very old planet with billions of years of evolution and many species turned to working in groups like bees do. One of them were crabs with razor sharp claws. They would attack en masse, claws reaching to shred their target. No retreat, they would just keep coming by the thousands. Got one of the characters in the novel. He made a mistake and got out of his vehicle to look at something.

Sweet dreams.

“I speak my mind”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

Religionthebiglie wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you hate those things? They're quite beautiful. Don't you mean you're just afraid of them?
Well...yeah...I'm terrified f them...

“I speak my mind”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

Greens - tuf wrote:
<quoted text> lol
You cannot beat a saltwater pool.
But that attracts the salt water crocs.
You just cannot win in this material form. Oh well.
Yeah...They had one in a resort I went to in Jamaica...much better than chlorine

“saved From jesus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Well...yeah...I'm terrified f them...
I've never come across any "deadly" species. I did have an irrational fear of bees(any variety) for many years, but I overcame it. I just had to realize that they're going about their business, and that their primary purpose isn't to attack me on sight. LOL

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
This describes it a bit differently.
http://palaeo.gly.bris.ac.uk/communication/go...
This portion is interesting.
"Overall it should be concluded that the Kt had a limited effect in terms of extinctions on plant life."
The rate was about 75% of plant species up to around where I lived and decreased dramatically northward.
The period was about a half million years? I read where a dino in New Mexico may have been alive over 770 thousand years after the event.
The extinction rate was not so bad a longer ways from the impact.
There was something in there about dormancy mechanisms in plants. Some must have been dormant for a long time. I have often wondered how much of those old seeds have been blowing into my yard, and how much dino dust I have inhaled in the SW. Sometimes the wind really stirs up the dust from California to here in Colorado. Can irritate your nose and lungs like allergies. Just ain't much vegetation to cause such.
The drought took a toll last year in my yard. Even killed a lot of weeds permanently. Taking some serious watering to get things to come back, and what is ain't all what was.
Well, you should keep a few things in mind. The nuclear winter came very close to wiping off all life on earth. And the cloud of debris around the earth would not have stayed there long. At most a year.

However, it took the ecosystem millions of years to recover from the harsh blow it was dealt. So if you want to argue that it was hard going up until maybe 50-45 mya, I would not argue the point. Even in geological terms, the Earth would have taken a long time to recover.

Without photosynenthesis, plants die. Blocking out the sun killed species in droves. Herbivores feeding on these plants would die too. I don't know if you knkw what a feeding pyramid is - the bottom level is the most plentiful food source. The level above it is herbivores an the level above it is the carnivores that fed on them. When you wipe out 60% of the plants, you will conclude that the remaining plant life cannot possibly support the entire population of herbivora. And the remaining herbivores cannot possibly sustain all the carnivores. A new balance is created, therefore many animals die

“I speak my mind”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Religionthebiglie wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never come across any "deadly" species. I did have an irrational fear of bees(any variety) for many years, but I overcame it. I just had to realize that they're going about their business, and that their primary purpose isn't to attack me on sight. LOL
yeah...I 'm not sold on that just yet...:)

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Inevitability , is a dish served in the cold dead of space by forces you and I will argue about until the end of time itself.
But the evidence in hand is all mine and yours , no more than wishful thinking.
You have no evidence that it formed all its own. All you have is a belief "Well it had such a long time, so it must've happened that way eventually".

Don't get ahead of yourself and jump the gun.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
How do we KNOW the hadrosaur lived in familial groups?
Why are you comparing animals of today to those of 70+ million years ago?
Well, you can google 'hadrosaurs', or even better,'Mayasaurs', to get to the Wiki page and most importantly, the dissertations an fossil information, by following the references.

Anyways. Hadrosaurs built their nests close together. This in itself is not unexpected. The most common defence for any herbivore, even today, is safety in numbers, i.e herding instinct. Carnivores usually have you on speed, strength, weaponry, sense of smell, intelligence and ferocity. However, through herding, animals are able to mount a solid defense. Why? Because many animals can look out for danger, while others feed. Also, in the case of better armed herbivores (like Buffalo, elephants or rhinos today), they can charge down a formidable enemy.

What we see with Mayasaura, is carefully constructed nests, as well as a close grouping of nests. This would imply the herd knowingly built their nests close together, in in order to make the nests more defendable.

To answer your second question. Yes, we do use modern day animals to study dinosaur behaviour. Because although fossils give us priof of existence (once upon a time), it tells us nothing of behaviour.

So we study behaviour today and try to make sense of what the Mesozoic world *could* have been like.

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
yep - and btw, i didn't mean anything personal about your granny, but i gots to preach the Gospel, because like the Good Book says "it is the power of God onto salvation":-)

i actually got kicked out of preaching at a juvenile corrections facility because of this same scenario when a kid who was challenging my preaching asked if his unbelieving granny went to hell. i had to tell him like it was for the sake of the group and i got let go from being chaplain there. no matter, i'd do it again in a second if it meant standing with Christ for His Gospel:-)
That is just sick dude.

You have no idea what was in that boy's granny's head before she died and what God liked or disliked in her, or what she didn't believe in exactly or why.

And you actually think you will be standing with Christ for that one!

You are crazy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Just like ‘Lamb of God’ is a figure of speech referring to Jesus,'serpent' is a figure of speech referring to Satan.
Unless you wanna believe that a snake talked or Jesus was a four-legged furry creature....
2. I'm using the ancient Hebrew word for serpent, nachash, which means 'shiny one' or 'brass one'. "Snake" or "serpent" should not be in the Bible, it's incorrect.
3. Snakes don't talk. A serpent isn't necessarily a snake.
4. No, I wouldn't agree. See 2.
So, whatever it was when it seduced Eve, it got turned into a snake afterwards?
Greens - tuf

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

Religionthebiglie wrote:
<quoted text>
Law of logic.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. He just has abilities we can't fathom.
You atheists call it "poof" powers.
Abilities that defies nature - magic

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

550 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 4 min lol 115,651
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 8 min UIdiotRaceMakeWorldPeace 172,566
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 28 min Dr_Zorderz 257,016
Why do BLACK People hate Mexicans so much? (Dec '13) 28 min Sussie 247
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 29 min andet1987 3,997
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 29 min Dave Nelson 224,671
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 32 min Michael 533,653
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 4 hr rahx 124
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••