Comments
608,981 - 609,000 of 732,696 Comments Last updated 14 min ago

“THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD;”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#641439 Jul 15, 2013
Although scholars agree on the historicity of the crucifixion, they differ on the reason and context for it, e.g. both E. P. Sanders and Paula Fredriksen support the historicity of the crucifixion, but contend that Jesus did not foretell his own crucifixion, and that his prediction of the crucifixion is a Christian story.[63] Geza Vermes also views the crucifixion as a historical event but provides his own explanation and background for it.[63]

The existence of John the Baptist within the same time frame as Jesus, and his eventual execution by Herod Antipas is attested to by first-century historian Josephus and the overwhelming majority of modern scholars view Josephus' accounts of the activities of John the Baptist as authentic.[64][65] One of the arguments in favor of the historicity of the Baptism of Jesus by John is that it is a story which the early Christian Church would have never wanted to invent, typically referred to as the

""criterion of embarrassment in historical analysis.""

[66][67][68] The four gospels are not the only references to the baptisms performed by John and in Acts 10:37-38, the apostle Peter refers to how the ministry of Jesus followed "the baptism which John preached".[69]

Another argument used in favour of the historicity of the baptism is that multiple accounts refer to it, usually called the criterion of multiple attestation.

[70] Technically, multiple attestation does not guarantee authenticity, but only determines antiquity.[71] However, for most scholars, together with the criterion of embarrassment it lends credibility to the baptism of Jesus by John being a historical event.[70][72][73][74]

Amy-Jill Levine has summarized the situation by stating that "there is a consensus of sorts on the basic outline of Jesus' life" in that most scholars agree that Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist, debated Jewish authorities on the subject of God, performed some healings, gathered followers, and was crucified by Roman prefect Pontius Pilate who reigned 26-36 AD.[14]

Virtually all scholars accept the existence of Jesus, but differ on the accuracy of the details of his life within the biblical narratives.[1][126] Some elements of the Christ myth theory are still debated in the 21st century, with Graham Stanton stating in 2002 that the most thorough analysis of the theory had been by George Albert Wells.[127] But Wells' book Did Jesus Exist? was criticized by James D.G. Dunn in his book The Evidence for Jesus.[128] Wells then changed his views regarding the existence of Jesus towards the end of the 20th century - while he used to argue that there was no historical evidence supporting the existence of Jesus, he later modified his position, and in his later book Can We Trust the New Testament? stated that the historical information about Jesus is "not all mythical", although still disputing the gospel portrayals of his life.[129][130][131][132] Robert Van Voorst states that among "New Testament scholars and historians the theory of the non-existence of Jesus remains effectively dead as a scholarly question".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_J...

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#641440 Jul 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
They aren't, either. They kill spiders. spiders are evil.
Don't bug them and they won't bug you. Just don't put your hands in places you can't see where they are around. Good habit to have. Can keep you from getting snake or black widow bit. Don't surprise or attack them. Getting over your panic is the biggest thing.
Spiders are not evil, Dave. They're beautiful, complex creatures.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#641441 Jul 15, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Skewer them, toast off the hair and eat 'em. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. >:}
The first time I saw a herd of tarantulas crossing a country road I stopped and opened the door to get a good look and make sure I wasn't hallucinating. It was THAT surreal. Talk about creepy.
We had something even worse in Miami. Land crabs. Big gray crabs with pincers by the thousands in some places. Run over them and you could get a flat.

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#641442 Jul 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I love bug bombs and Spectracide. Spectracide all around the house for a couple of feet and bug bombs in crawl spaces or dark areas. Once or twice a year and you won't see much in the way of bugs in the house. Even less as the years go by. Unless you have a bad problem in the house already you don't need to do anything in there.
Have you ever come across an effective snake repellent?

“saved From jesus”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#641443 Jul 15, 2013
Myth Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
No, there isn't! There's no scientific evidence that either the universe or life on earth was created by a "universal consciousness" or even the existence of a "universal consciousness".
At least, you have the common sense to reject organized religion, but I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing equally juvenile "universal consciousness" cults spring up.
.....with each one claiming to be the arbitrator of universal truth, which just so happens to be exactly the same as the personal truth of the one who holds the truth.
Greens - tuf

Australia

#641444 Jul 15, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Skewer them, toast off the hair and eat 'em. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. >:}
The first time I saw a herd of tarantulas crossing a country road I stopped and opened the door to get a good look and make sure I wasn't hallucinating. It was THAT surreal. Talk about creepy.
That would be pretty cool.

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#641445 Jul 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
We had something even worse in Miami. Land crabs. Big gray crabs with pincers by the thousands in some places. Run over them and you could get a flat.
Thanks for the nightmare material, and goodnight.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#641446 Jul 15, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care for the word evil.

Location hidden

#641447 Jul 15, 2013
Greens - tuf wrote:
<quoted text> God answered my prayer today !!!!
God is real !!!!
For the last 3 weeks I have been dreading something I have ( had) to do tomorrow night. I have been beside myself with worry. I just didn't want to go there , but I just have ( had ) to go.
Well, when I woke up today tomorrow night came straight to my mind , " one more sleep" I thought.
" if only I could have a excuse, as in a really good excuse"
Fast forward 4 hours and my prayers have been answered. I have nearly sliced my finger off in a guillotine at work. 30 yrs of experience and never had a accident at work until today.
Careful what you wish for / put out there !!!
Truthfully, this is a bad injury but the outcome is worth it.
God ( energy ) works in mysterious ways.
Life never gets boring.
Something is always looking after me, but sometimes you need a little bit of pain to get the result you are after.
No pain, no gain. Life really is an emotional roller coaster.
The more I worry about a certain thing, the better the outcome.
Go figure.
Me think the drugs have kicked in.
It sounds like you really and truly weren't looking forward to the event.

Worry is something that I have gotten away from in later years. Can't say it has helped me much in previous years.

But there is something running us other than us. Had plenty of experience with that.

Don't always get what you want, but often what you need.

Pain makes life much richer. When you can look back at it. Not so rich when you are in it.

“I speak my mind”

It hurts to bite my tongue

#641448 Jul 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Those suckers were big. Four or five inches from where the tail curved upwards to the claw tips. Only place I have ever seen those. Found some still around in a out building 40 years later.
There were some bug sprays you could use as a flamethrower holding a match in front. If I caught them outside they were toast. Oh, the delights of youth.
Were you wearing some lotion or perfume when the wasp chased you? They tend to like nectars. Be their friend and hang a hummingbird feeder for them.
I have two hummingbird feeders...that one seemed to like me better...and nope...no lotions or perfumes...just got out of the pool. Darndest thing I ever seen.
Greens - tuf

Australia

#641449 Jul 15, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
True, they are teaching us something, that something is " to fear". We are material beings who are not eternal in this form. Things like spiders snakes and sharks are there to keep our egos in check.

"Fear not" and see how long you last.
Life is fear driven for a reason.
Respect.
Greens - tuf

Australia

#641450 Jul 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I've personally never had crabs.

But I see you have.

“I speak my mind”

#641451 Jul 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Pool. Suntan lotion? Hawaiian Tropic?
Anything that might have looked like a flower on you?
Let them have their way with you. I have yellowjackets landing on me quite often. Unless you are a threat to a nest or swatting at them they have no reason to sting you. You aren't on their diet. They are looking for moisture or sweet stuff.
Chlorinated pool water I guess...<throws hands up> who knows?

“I speak my mind”

#641452 Jul 15, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
Not this girl...I'd have put the pedal to the floor...I swear I'm arachnophobic...I'd have had a heart attack!
Greens - tuf

Australia

#641453 Jul 15, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ever come across an effective snake repellent?

Yep, a shovel.

“saved From jesus”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#641454 Jul 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a athiestically retarded city boy with no capacity to grasp irrefutable historical, religious and faith facts in contradiction to your atheist brainwashing. You're here solely to proselytize and deserve a "hateful attitude" from all rational people.
Faith facts? LOL

“I speak my mind”

#641455 Jul 15, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
They may be complex... But no River..thy aren't beautiful...Oh no...not beautiful at all.

Location hidden

#641456 Jul 15, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ever come across an effective snake repellent?
22's are pretty good. Corner them and shoot at their head. They tend to kiss the bullet by striking at it.

As far as your yard goes, finely broken glass on the perimeter a foot or so will help. They don't like slithering over sharp stuff. They used to use broken oyster shells around the New Orleans airport to reduce the snakes on the runways.

You have to get the snakes out of the yard for it to do much good. Look for snake holes.

Never tried it, but my father was an old Canadian farm boy who relayed some lore about snakes to me. He said you put a stake in the ground and tap it, and the snakes will come to it. Hoop snakes were also part of his lore.:-)

I do know out in the desert snakes can feel you walking and try to get out of the way.

Mating season is the worst time for snakes. That is when they get on the move.
Greens - tuf

Australia

#641457 Jul 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like you really and truly weren't looking forward to the event.
Worry is something that I have gotten away from in later years. Can't say it has helped me much in previous years.
But there is something running us other than us. Had plenty of experience with that.
Don't always get what you want, but often what you need.
Pain makes life much richer. When you can look back at it. Not so rich when you are in it.
I totally agree.
"Something is running us"
And true, " Don't always get what you want, but often what you need". Nice :)
Greens - tuf

Australia

#641458 Jul 15, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Chlorinated pool water I guess...<throws hands up> who knows?
lol
You cannot beat a saltwater pool.
But that attracts the salt water crocs.
You just cannot win in this material form. Oh well.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 6 min well 226,240
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 7 min Remnant of 144000 38,620
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min truth 538,778
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 10 min RiccardoFire 94,637
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 10 min Peace_Warrior 599,781
Ask Me A Trivia Question -- 2 -- (Mar '10) 13 min Joe Fryday 191,440
Arkansas'......'O.J.' 16 min Doctor REALITY 1
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 26 min Insults Are Easier 257,832
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr Chris Clearwater 173,271
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••