“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#641272 Jul 15, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.... Lol!!!! Pain meds are making me slow today!!!
I'm weaning off from them and can't wait to shake that fuzzy head feeling. My cast comes off Wednesday so there goes my excuse for being bone lazy. Ergh! It'll be my turn to dump the trash from now through eternity.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#641273 Jul 15, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>There's a snake contest going on? Let's see yours, cowboy! C'mon, whip it on out! We promise not to laugh...much.
Lol! Probably just a "little" boy that stumbled unto a grown ups forum.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#641274 Jul 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I read the million year intelligence thing over 40 years ago. Was based on evolutionary progression.
Not many years ago they have found evidence of dinosaurs living in groups and nurturing young. They have also found evidence of warm blooded dinosaurs.
If they survived the extinction, what finally killed them off?
BTW, you use a very broad brush in portraying a very diversified bunch of critters that had longer to develop than we have.
Did dinosaurs hand us a copy of their brains before they took off? If not, how did ours develop so rapidly?
Ah. Finally a topic I like.

Yes. Dinosaurs were warm blooded. And yes, some groups did have some form of parental care - I would give Mayasaurus (parental lizzard) as example of that. Nests closely grouped together, gives such an indication.

However, many species did not bother with parental care, like the saurapods, who just lay a great many eggs, and walked on.

Modern day birds also give care to their young, revealing how therapods may have viewed parenting. But this care, even under the most intelligent of birds (like crows), is not nearly as comprehensive as mammalian care. Mammals impart by far and away the most parental care of any genus of species.

What killed the dinosaurs off? Well, the asteroid killed MOST of them. Anything larger than a rabbit would have died out - the food chain collapsed, meaning big, bulky dinosaurs, such as the saurapods, large therapods (like T-Rex and Tarbosaurus), Ceratopsians, Ankylosaurs all would have perished.

However, the small therapods, like the raptors (dromaeosauroids), were small enough to find shelter in the nuclear winter, as well as find just enough scraps to feed themselves. They were already evolving into birds. The remaining dinosaurs that could not fly, I believe were outcompeted for food, so they died out.

Location hidden

#641275 Jul 15, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
I come across rattlesnakes during my hikes in the Mountains. I usually avoid them by giving them a wide berth. Did you see the pictures I posted of a rather large beautiful 4 foot Southern Pacific rattlesnake I encountered about 2 years ago at the Etiwanda Preserve? It's too hot in the middle of the day but I'm careful when crossing shaded areas. Mostly I hear them through the brush and try not to startle them. When you hear a rattle, you're too close to one.
I just now pulled the page back and peeked...

and...your snake could use a good dusting off.:-/

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#641276 Jul 15, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i tried to explain myself to you, Dave, but now i'm just gonna hafta tell you to "get thee behind me";)
Do what you want. You will have to live with it, not me.

You injured that young boy who was in a bad way because of your pride and vanity.

#641277 Jul 15, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i tried to explain myself to you, Dave, but now i'm just gonna hafta tell you to "get thee behind me";)
I just think he meant that you could have handled that situation better. If a juvenile challenges you about their granny, perhaps he was looking for a message of hope and not damnation.

#641278 Jul 15, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
Nano offered her view of a possibility of hope. A chance of possible redemption even in the last moments of granny's life. Something of that sort may have eased whatever was troubling that youth enough to "challenge" you.

Westcliffe, CO

#641279 Jul 15, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah. Finally a topic I like.
Yes. Dinosaurs were warm blooded. And yes, some groups did have some form of parental care - I would give Mayasaurus (parental lizzard) as example of that. Nests closely grouped together, gives such an indication.
However, many species did not bother with parental care, like the saurapods, who just lay a great many eggs, and walked on.
Modern day birds also give care to their young, revealing how therapods may have viewed parenting. But this care, even under the most intelligent of birds (like crows), is not nearly as comprehensive as mammalian care. Mammals impart by far and away the most parental care of any genus of species.
What killed the dinosaurs off? Well, the asteroid killed MOST of them. Anything larger than a rabbit would have died out - the food chain collapsed, meaning big, bulky dinosaurs, such as the saurapods, large therapods (like T-Rex and Tarbosaurus), Ceratopsians, Ankylosaurs all would have perished.
However, the small therapods, like the raptors (dromaeosauroids), were small enough to find shelter in the nuclear winter, as well as find just enough scraps to feed themselves. They were already evolving into birds. The remaining dinosaurs that could not fly, I believe were outcompeted for food, so they died out.
How long did that nuclear winter and extinction event last? How much evidence is there in the fossil record of a seriou depletion of plant life during that period?

How long did it take for a dinosaur to starve to death? A herd of dinosaurs?

#641280 Jul 15, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I'm weaning off from them and can't wait to shake that fuzzy head feeling. My cast comes off Wednesday so there goes my excuse for being bone lazy. Ergh! It'll be my turn to dump the trash from now through eternity.
I'm sorry kiddo. Did I hear you fell or something like that? I just slipped and wretched the hell outta my back. Freaking old age creeping up on me I suppose. I'm gonna have to buy the clapper!!! Lol!
What DID happen to you kiddo?
Chalk Outline

Lansing, MI

#641281 Jul 15, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
it never fails - preaching the Gospel of Jesus brings persecution and accusations from the most unlikely places, but "the common people receive it gladly":-)
Was it not the man himself who said "hide your light under a bushel"???

Westcliffe, CO

#641282 Jul 15, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
I just think he meant that you could have handled that situation better. If a juvenile challenges you about their granny, perhaps he was looking for a message of hope and not damnation.
You would be quite right about that.

#641283 Jul 15, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I just now pulled the page back and peeked...
and...your snake could use a good dusting off.:-/
lol!
Ain't that a fact O!0

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#641284 Jul 15, 2013
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Has it become definitive that birds evolved from the dinosaurs, or is the jury still out on that one? As a kid I remember that was a very debatable issue a few years ago.
Jury has returned with verdict. Dinosaurs are the ancestors of modern day birds.

The original evidence for the hypothesis were the following:
1) Therapod dinosaurs had hollow bones, just like birds,
2) Ditto S-shaped necks.
3) Ditto wish bones (no other modern day animal has a wish bone
4) The fossil of Archaeopteryx. An obvious transition, had feathers (found with the fossil), s-shaped neck, hollow bones, but also teeth, claws, wings and an elongated tail, like therapods.

But, the state presented new evidence that sealed the debate
1) Plenty of new fossils in China, shows progression from 150 mya to 65 mya, the more recent you date, the more bird-like the animal becomes
2) It was discovered that modern day birds, during embryonic stage, have deacticavated genes for teeth, scales and elongated tails

But, the fial nail in the coffin, was when a scientist broke open a T-Rex bone and discovered soft tissue inside, that survived the mineralisation process (also changing our views on mineralisation. We always thought bones fossilise completely. Turns out not always so thoroughly). Anyway. So the soft tissue was analysed and DNA was extracted and finally ... Wait for it... Mapped! Compared to modern bkrd DNA, it was confirmed that a 70 million year old Tyrannosaurus Rex had a common ancestor with a chicken!

You can google this, I am unable to insert links. Google "T Rex DNA recovered"

The conclusion is that birds evolved from therapod dinosaurs, and ascended to dominance after the K-T extinction.

So next time you have your KFC... Remember what that chicken's great great great grandpappy could do to you!

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#641285 Jul 15, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Uhm, don't know, I usually kill them as soon as possible after coming across them. I don't care if they're smart or not, just if they are poisonous or not.
Ya, that's their curse.

"And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.

Location hidden

#641286 Jul 15, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
umm...nope, i didn't say anything about knowing specifically that a person went to hell, but i'm not afraid to say what the Bible says:
"And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent" Jesus - jn 17:3
also, you're describing a doctrine known as 'soul sleep' which i don't see enough scriptual precedent to subscribe to, but i won't hate you if you do:-)
Um... 1 Cor 14:20 and verses 29, and 35-44 speaks of sleeping dead being raised up.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#641287 Jul 15, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay so now, you are nitpicking over 'the' and 'a'.
Come now, RR. I know why you are doing this. You do not want to defend talking animals. I would not either. It is laughable.
I'm not nitpicking.

RR has beaten DF.

All hail The Mighty RR.

And bless Him with sammiches.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#641288 Jul 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Genesis 3:1
Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the LORD God had made.
Are snakes crafty?
Double Fine wrote:
No, they are instinctual animals.
But the people who wrote your magic tale thought they were.
Nope.

Serpent.

Not snake.

They wrote "serpent".

Get that through your head.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#641289 Jul 15, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Estimated? Estimated by whom?
Dave, you know nothing about physics, I bet you know less about Mesozoic palaeontology.
Firstly, the most intelligent dinosaurs, those with the highest brain to body weight ratio, SURVIVED THE EXTINCTION.
Why? Because they were small dromaeosauroids, or what we would call 'raptors': small, bird-like therapod dinosaurs, covered in feathers.
Also, mammals toom over as the dominant species. Mammals, that have a much more comprehensive infant care system, allowing knowledge to be kept within family groups. This means that while young dinosaurs most likely had to learn a lot of things from scratch, young mammals learnt a great deal more from their parents: hunting patterns, play fighting, etc.
So no. The extinction of most of the dinosaurs, airborne and aquatic reptiles that hapoened at the end of the Cretaceous, did not result in a loss of intelligence
How do you know that dinosaurs didn't have familial groups or have play fights?

Location hidden

#641290 Jul 15, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
the very simple Gospel message is that unbelief in the sacrifice of Christ for sin is the ONLY hinderance of our salvation:-)
Oh? I thought Jesus taught that the surest way to heaven was Love.

1 Cor 13:13, Romans 13:10, Matt 22:37 and Ga 5:14, i.e., Love is the Law.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#641291 Jul 15, 2013
Myth Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
The first step in an addict's recovery process is breaking through the denial in addiction. You did a very "bad thing" in projecting your illness instead of confronting it, death-denying cowardly Christian cultist Al Garcia!
Says the Christ-denying cowardly atheist cultist....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Whatsapp group Hot n Sexy for guys and girls 14 min miguel 33
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 16 min Regina 573,433
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 19 min guest 221,720
VERIFIED TRADER - Verified Trader Review - Any ... (Jan '13) 43 min verifiedtrade 13
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 45 min waaasssuuup 608,063
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Rick in Kansas 268,741
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 97,834
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Mar '14) 12 hr same 199
More from around the web