Prove there's a god.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#641622 Jul 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Shows the limitations of your thinking abilities.
The Gadsden flag was created back when religion was much in vogue in America.
Was a joke. Though I do wonder how many times you have said "shows the limits of your thinking abilities," or some variant, in this forum.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#641623 Jul 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a very smartassed dinosaur that wasn't as smart as it thought it was.
Precursor to Topix atheists.
You and fundies read things the same way. From a very limited perspective.
Dave, do you believe that dinosaura walked the earth, alongside man?

Location hidden

#641624 Jul 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a very smartassed dinosaur that wasn't as smart as it thought it was.
Precursor to Topix atheists.
You and fundies read things the same way. From a very limited perspective.
RR says it was satan. You say it was a dinosaur. Like.. actual dinosaur? Like.. early man frolicked with a triceratops?

Let me respond for you: such a limited mind. sad topix atheist. you must gaze deep into the maw of the magnet queen to *truly* understand the truth, which can be stated thus: jesus on a T-Rex.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#641625 Jul 16, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
I found, "Serpent is a synonym for snake"...but nothing suggesting that it applies to anything else....oh I did find " limbless scaly elongate reptile; some are venomous".
Maybe it only works in your reality.
You're being intellectually dishonest.

Definition:
1. a snake.
2. a wily, treacherous, or malicious person.
3. the Devil; Satan. Gen. 3:1–5.

Synoyms:

basilisk dragon ophidian snake viper

http://m.dictionary.com/definition/Serpent/...

Location hidden

#641626 Jul 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Topix atheists make a big deal in interpreting words written a long time ago.
Look at the difficulty you have defining and interpreting words today.
Define hypocrite for us. Never mind, you provide a perfect example. A picture is worth a thousand words.
I am having no difficulty whatsoever; I am having issues getting RR to understand that words can mean different things in different contexts and to different people.

Care to explain how I'm being a hypocrite?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#641627 Jul 16, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You are astounding. You posted one definition for believe, implying that it was the right one as "the word is supposed to mean the same thing to everyone," immediately after quibbling about the definition of serpent.
Then, after I post an expanded definition that defines the word according to what I mean when I say it, you ignore my definition and basically repeat yourself. As I said, if you are going to insist on playing word games, and are incapable of expanding your current mental definition, then forget I used the word. It doesn't mean the same thing to you as it does to me. Both of our definitions are correct, but I must qualify my usage when speaking with religious people because "believe" connotes blind faith in the religious community.
Yes, I agree with that assertion - that most religious people probably confuse belief with faith.

But that is irrelevant. This is two people talking, you & I, not the atheist or religious community.

I've noticed that a lot if atheists do everything they can to shy away from using the word 'believe'. Is that due to they don't wanna be misunderstood as having faith?

Of that's so, let me be clear. I don't think you have faith in abiogenesis. I just think you believe it to be true - or at least you believe it to be more probable than God creating life. Yes?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#641628 Jul 16, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Holy fcking sh1t. Is this what you think I mean when I say I am qualifying the word believe? I am qualifying the *definition* and usage, not my actual belief.
As I said, we do not believe in the same way - the word means two entirely different things to us. Not "we believe two different things," but "my concept of belief is different from your concept of belief."
Then help me understand.

Use believe in a sentence, the way you see it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#641629 Jul 16, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Whonsaid that? I have said from the start, it is speculation. However, speculation leads to interest, interest leads to study and just somewhere some researcher finds a way to discover something new.
Oh. Then I'm sorry. I must have you confused with another poster.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#641630 Jul 16, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Dude, I really don't care how you justify this nonsense to yourself. In fact, I'd be more likely to believe in the possibility of a talking animal over a shape shifting demon.
Of course you don't care. You're an atheist. You believe the bible says a talking snake and Goddidit with magic poofs.

I wonder why you're an atheist......

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#641631 Jul 16, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry :(
Let's stick with a talking duck. That would be awesome.
Nah, RR don't like Howard the Duck. He's scary.

I think the Serpent in Genesis was a lawyer - very vile & treacherous.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#641632 Jul 16, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I am having no difficulty whatsoever; I am having issues getting RR to understand that words can mean different things in different contexts and to different people.
HA HA HA !!!

"There are different meanings to the word 'believe', but 'serpent' only means snake." -timn

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#641633 Jul 16, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave, do you believe that dinosaura walked the earth, alongside man?
Not in your perception of it. I believe the spirits that are now men once occupied dinosaurs. Has to do with physical bodies and appropriate environments.

I believe they have footprints of man and dinosaurs left in mud flats in Mexico somewhere, though.

Since: Mar 11

Australia

#641634 Jul 16, 2013
loads of 15 million year old fossils have been found in Geebung, Queensland, Australia. Of many different creatures and flora. They are going to offer school kids the chance to join the dig, lucky things. Needing to have everything removed asap as they are building rail lines over the area.
Should be interesting once they unravel it all :)

Since: May 11

Ashford, UK

#641635 Jul 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're being intellectually dishonest.
Definition:
1. a snake.
2. a wily, treacherous, or malicious person.
3. the Devil; Satan. Gen. 3:1–5.
Synoyms:
basilisk dragon ophidian snake viper
http://m.dictionary.com/definition/Serpent/...
So satan is "Cursed above all livestock and all wild animals, and crawls on his belly and eats dust all the days of his life". Right...totally meant satan LMAO.

Try a little intellectual honesty for a change.

Westcliffe, CO

#641636 Jul 16, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I am having no difficulty whatsoever; I am having issues getting RR to understand that words can mean different things in different contexts and to different people.
Your using literal translations of the Bible for ridicule purposes instead of looking at them in context.

Trolls do that a lot. Anything as an excuse to argue.

Westcliffe, CO

#641637 Jul 16, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>RR says it was satan. You say it was a dinosaur. Like.. actual dinosaur? Like.. early man frolicked with a triceratops?
Let me respond for you: such a limited mind. sad topix atheist. you must gaze deep into the maw of the magnet queen to *truly* understand the truth, which can be stated thus: jesus on a T-Rex.
There were many species of dinosaurs. Some lasted longer than others.

Location hidden

#641639 Jul 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I agree with that assertion - that most religious people probably confuse belief with faith.
But that is irrelevant. This is two people talking, you & I, not the atheist or religious community.
I've noticed that a lot if atheists do everything they can to shy away from using the word 'believe'. Is that due to they don't wanna be misunderstood as having faith?
Of that's so, let me be clear. I don't think you have faith in abiogenesis. I just think you believe it to be true - or at least you believe it to be more probable than God creating life. Yes?
Yes, but *not in the way you are defining belief.* You are confusing belief with faith, not just "most religious people," that's why we're even having this discussion. That's why you are trying to fervently to pin the word "belief" on me as you specifically understand it. My personal definition of belief leaves a lot more "wiggle room" than yours - to me, belief basically means that I think something is true, or most probable, based on the available evidence.

And yes, I think it is more probably than a deity. At one time, life wasn't here. Now it is. We have never found any gods. That alone is reason enough to think it is more probable.

Westcliffe, CO

#641640 Jul 16, 2013

Location hidden

#641641 Jul 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then help me understand.
Use believe in a sentence, the way you see it.
I believe abiogensis to be true based on the available evidence, but this is not to say that I know it to be true.

Did I really need to use it in a sentence?

Location hidden

#641642 Jul 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you don't care. You're an atheist. You believe the bible says a talking snake and Goddidit with magic poofs.
I wonder why you're an atheist......
Because your bible and your apologia are no different than the countless religions that precede it, coincide with it, and will succeed it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Slaughterhouse 100,144
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Peter Ross 445,651
Any hot teen girl wanna email me (Mar '12) 2 hr idk 8
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr RCC Biblical Beas... 670,271
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr NIST 286,454
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr WildWeirdWillie 184,287
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 4 hr Halle Berry Sister 4,032
More from around the web