Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#641087 Jul 15, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
No, my professors never talked in gibberish. The work they did was observable, verifiable and falsifiable. What you explained to us on here was - as usual - the ramblings of an old man who woukd not pass eighth grade physics.
:-)

If I couldn't pass eighth grade physics it would be because I wasn't trained to think in the strict following of formulas and verbiage that were implanted in your head.

While I heard everything the teacher said, and understood it, I was notorious for gazing out the window looking at the world at the same time. Schools had open windows back then.

Does that compute?

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#641088 Jul 15, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Word Salad. Nothing more than word salad. I have yet to detect one iota of rational thought in any of your posts.
the persona "dave" is an attempt to create paranoia.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#641089 Jul 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes no sense.
My boss knows I will go to work today, so I have no choice....
O_o
That is a prediction, made out of past experience. Your boss knows you work for him and knows you don't just skip work on a whim (hopefully). So that is not a prophecy.

Neither is something along the lines of I foresee Rafael Nadal winning Roland Garros 2014, because based on past performance, he is nearly unbeatable there - 8 wins in 9 years.

A propecy is something where no past indicators are avalable. For instance, if I say that on 31 May 2019, a Venezuelan terrorist group will attack Big Ben.

What is the difference? The first two examples, I did not require knowledge of the future. For the third, future sight is necessary

Location hidden

#641090 Jul 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've found my proof, why are you still waiting?
why do you suppose that god revealed himself to you,

yet does not reveal himself to honorable persons?

#641091 Jul 15, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Je m'excuse.
Plumb forgot about Double Fine.
(I did say "perhaps".)
You will get a pass this time...

#641092 Jul 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
:-)
If I couldn't pass eighth grade physics it would be because I wasn't trained to think in the strict following of formulas and verbiage that were implanted in your head.
While I heard everything the teacher said, and understood it, I was notorious for gazing out the window looking at the world at the same time. Schools had open windows back then.
Does that compute?
There is a specific reason we have calculations and formulae.

See, while mathematics deals with abstracts, physics does not. It works with real-world applications.

Why do we do physics? To accomplish things. Formulae and theoretical framework helps us achieve this, despite your disregard

Location hidden

#641093 Jul 15, 2013
Sharkey wrote:
<quoted text>At least you admit that your god makes no sense and is therefore unbelievable.
"'god created' me to 'create myself'". Pure pretzel logic from Religionist Redneck.
But, my friend, you deluded yourself into believing that the unreal is real, like so many schizophrenics.
BTW, my parents created me, not "god".
"God" did not have sex with my mother.
god likes 12yr old girls

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

#641094 Jul 15, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
You do not distrust whites? You should.
We are the race that yields the likes of Miley Cyrus, Paris Hilton and Justin Bieber. We brought you Communism. The Speedo. The Mullet.
In Durban there is a male only road race sponsored by Speedo where every participant has to run in their speedo. And people are so stupid, they pay to run in that Speedo!

They look like a bunch of idiotic slaves for Speedo promos!

Location hidden

#641095 Jul 15, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
What untenable position???.I believe in God...that's my position...and I'm sticking with it.
the god you imagine is a projection of your psyche, that is why the god is so evil.

Westcliffe, CO

#641096 Jul 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Peter didn't have free will when he denied because that was an animal reaction to a threat. Was immediate. A reflex. Everything was still very new.
The free will comes when you have a clear choice without physical necessity being an immediate concern. His free will was following the path he did after consideration and putting himself in harm's way.
Greens - tuf wrote:
<quoted text> What a dumb post.
?

Peter was scared by the turn of events. Don't forget he had just assaulted a Roman soldier and drew blood. I am sure he was not eager to run into him or those with him that witnessed that. That was animal panic.

After the dust settled and he had time to think and consider he committed himself to a course of action he knew was destined to be dangerous. He made a conscious rational decision to proceed with such after having witnessed first hand this preaching of Jesus. That was free will.

Westcliffe, CO

#641097 Jul 15, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a specific reason we have calculations and formulae.
See, while mathematics deals with abstracts, physics does not. It works with real-world applications.
Why do we do physics? To accomplish things. Formulae and theoretical framework helps us achieve this, despite your disregard
Formulae and theoretical framework build cages.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#641098 Jul 15, 2013
Myth Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
Congratulations! You just posted one of the most hypocritical statements in the history of topix so take a well-deserved bow for being one of the greatest whack jobs to ever post here.
For the record, all rational people study science based in reality on observations and experiments. Conversely, brainwashed godbots like you mindlessly accept failed scientific hypotheses merely on faith that were absurd thousands of years ago!
hey myth loving, bah bah black sheep following, so-called sciencebot, brainwashed, nazi-dork -

how can physical 'science' test and prove things that are spiritual, moral and eternal???

see you on judgment day!:-)

#641099 Jul 15, 2013
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
In Durban there is a male only road race sponsored by Speedo where every participant has to run in their speedo. And people are so stupid, they pay to run in that Speedo!
They look like a bunch of idiotic slaves for Speedo promos!
Did you hear about the man on Durban Beach, who put a potato in his Speedo, in order to get attention ftom ladies?

After a day of no luck, he decided to put the potato in front, instead

Location hidden

#641100 Jul 15, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
My faith is valid...just not to you...you can't invalidate someone else's faith based on your own ideas. Just not how faith works.
lol

the more you wash yourself in your ego, the more sordid you become.

there is no truth in faith

Location hidden

#641101 Jul 15, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave is generally repulsive, but I try to give him a pass.
The poor guy is trying to keep it together.
the persona "dave" is a victim of paranoid delusions.

Westcliffe, CO

#641102 Jul 15, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>How many times have I specifically said that a transplant might "mess with one's head" in a psychological sense? Now you're just being dishonest. Your initial assertion was that a transplant could *directly* affect consciousness, as if the heart is in any way responsible for subjective experience. Now that you have back pedaled to the more reasonable position of "external stimuli/bodily conditions affect consciousness," we have no argument.
I have no idea what your second paragraph is about.
I find it funny when you try to "impart wisdom" on others. Your wisdom consists of bland truisms. We make decisions based on the facts at hand? We don't know everything? It is sensible to withhold absolute judgement?*Profound.* Truly. Oh wait, is this a negative reaction? You're psychic!
Anyways, I do not hold the opinion that there is definitely not a god/supernatural realm. I am not telling you that you are definitively wrong to think there is a god, but I would tell you that there is no evidence for a god and that you therefore cannot expect reasonable people to believe in one. Also, you are wrong, as far as we know, when it comes to consciousness. There is no evidence whatsoever for dualism. I can't say for sure that it isn't possible, but that is no reason to believe it. The fact that our personalities remain consistent after an organ transplant is in no way indicative of dualism, since there is no reason to believe that our consciousness should fracture due to an implant.
The personalities remain relatively consistent. Personalities change over time even without changing parts.

Hey, bud, I believe in a spiritual component being the regulator, remember? Like I posted earlier, the spiritual is peering through a material matrix and having to deal with it.

The second paragraph intimated you lost parts 7 years ago. I assumed it was something other than your mind, but it was a conscious assumption, not what I would declare a fact based upon observation.

Curiously, after reading your response a couple of times some imagery from my childhood popped up. I had a kite with a big spool of thin strong thread that I flew one day. It got WAY up there, just a speck in the sky. Since we lived in an airport flight path, after the initial excitement of getting it up so high passed I realized it was an endangerment to airplanes. I then started retrieving it, which was turning into quite the epic. Wrapping it around the thread spool was just not being very effective, and in fact was quite tedious for a young boy, so I started yanking it down hand over hand and laying the line on the ground about the yard. Took forever.

Then it came time to wind all of that neat thread back up. Was precious stuff. However, after quite some time trying to follow it and untangle it from the weeds and grass stems and winding it neatly on the spool for reuse, I grew frustrated and found it was more expedient to cut it and then gather in a big knot and chunk it. That string was like trying to follow the logic and coherency in your response.

Location hidden

#641103 Jul 15, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I feel that if a person has tried to live their life by the Golden Rule then there is no need for "hope" of an after-life, since whether they are religious or not they will be at peace in their last moments. Like I told my great gammy when she was dying from kidney failure, "You are a good person so if there is an after-life you won't be going to hell, and if there isn't one (after-life) then you simply slip away and there is nothing; no pain, no sorrow. Either way of thinking/belief is good enough for someone who has a clean conscience.
I like this post.

however

Moral citizens must resist evil for the benefit of culture.

Location hidden

#641104 Jul 15, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Yo Gary.
Double Fine was not upset. Double Fine was channeling Myth Buster.
There are atheists in fox holes. There are only foxes in fox holes. Why? Because only foxes fit.
If you want to put a Christian in a fox hole, it will need to be a very small one
fox hole

allegory for christian belief ??

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#641105 Jul 15, 2013
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>Let alone replication, just for a cell to exist, that in itself is quite complex on its own.
Yup.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#641106 Jul 15, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>evidence
It was like a big Lego kit, and god sat there coming up with different ways to put them together.

He had a LOT of time to kill.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min June VanDerMark 568,307
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 8 min Rick in Kansas 267,483
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 24 min waaasssuuup 607,219
dihydrocodeine Can you buy online. ?? (Jan '14) 27 min gazzipants 13
Things poping up while i was sitting on my dads... (Jun '11) 46 min John 57
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 49 min waaasssuuup 442,018
Scientific proof for God's existence 53 min HipGnosis 592
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 4 hr Esther12 120,742
More from around the web