Prove there's a god.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#641506 Jul 16, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Sounds very similar @ pain.
Those were all over N. Arizona, the Tarantula Killers(local name) and Mexican brown Tarantulas. And yeah, at certain times of the year Tarantulas are all over. Before and after big rains too.
Spiders, Wasps, and Snakes don't bother me too much. Unless like when I was young and walking the woods barefoot and saw a Copperhead. Where there is one is always one other. You can smell them too. They're more likely to bite on the back of the leg >after< you've went by them.
They must be highly adaptable because in Pines they'll be red/brown like pine needles, in Oaks just a mile or two away they'll be more brown and dusky. Seen all kinds of color combos. They still don't concern me too much. They go their own way if you leave them alone.
This is what freaks me out. http://bugguide.net/images/raw/LR9HJH6HZR9HBZ...
Camel Crickets. It doesn't bother me anywhere but under a house(used to install H&A long ago). They congregate by the hundreds. If you make one jump they all go off, all over you, everywhere, and for just a second... whew.
Contained insanity, just close your mouth and eyes till they settle.
I've been bit by a Black Widow and a Brown Recluse. Walk blackberry thickets and never worry about a snake. Wasp stung a thousand times over.
Harmless Camel Crickets make me wanna scramble.
Go ahead. Laugh. I do. hahaa...
Well, you are living in North America, arguably the continent with the least amount of venemous snake species (save for Antarctica).

Here in SA, different story. We have our assortment of Cobras, Coral Snakes and Vipers. But the nastiest by a mile, is the Black Mamba. An adult snake can easily reach 12 feet. They have the fastest acting venom of any terrestrial snake, with death that can occur within half an hour. Some cases go even quicker (that depends on firltness, health, age of victim, amount of venom injected, etc.). It is the most feared snake in all of Africa anf many horror stories are told by the rural citizens. That is a snake you would want nothing to do with. I do not even want to be in a house with the thing. If you get bitten in tje lobby of the hospital, it may be too late by the time you get into ER.

Also, where other snakes mostly choose fleeing over fighting, the Mamba is nervous and easily angered. Think of a deranged meth head with a gun.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#641507 Jul 16, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
You are still not getting it
If your god did anything in defiance of natural laws, it is done by magic.
And you claiming that makes any discussion worthless. Because just as you can claim your god can make plants grow without sun, I can claim the PowerPuff girls can do it too.
Geddit? Magic is any inversion/distortion of the natural order.
No, it's not magic unless it's explicitly referred to as magic, don't you understand? RR's faith rests on this tiny, insubstantial thread, do not break it.
Double Fine

Johannesburg, South Africa

#641508 Jul 16, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Moth balls. If you take them and encircle your house, it'll keep *most* snakes away. People here swear by them.
Harvesting them is the hard part.
Apparently, wild garlic plants also drive away snakes. How effective this is, I do not know. However, they are good to keep Mosquitos away,so they are useful little plants

Location hidden

#641509 Jul 16, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right.
Consider the roll call of GodÂ’s imperfect heroes:
Noah got drunk.
Abraham lied about his wife.
Sarah laughed at God.
Jacob was a deceiver.
Moses murdered an Egyptian.
Rahab was a harlot.
Gideon was fearful.
Jephthah made a foolish vow.
Samson had serious problems with lust and anger.
Eli failed as a father.
David was an adulterer and a murderer.
Solomon married foreign wives who turned his heart toward idolatry.
Elijah struggled with depression.
Jonah ran away from God.
Peter denied Christ.
Paul argued with Barnabas.
Barnabas compromised the gospel.
James and John wanted special seats in the kingdom.
All the apostles argued about who was the greatest.
God prefers people who know their weakness, see their flaws, admit their mistakes, and cry out to him for help.
If God chose only well-rounded people with no character flaws, some of the credit would inevitably go to the people and not to the Lord. By choosing flawed people with a bad past, a shaky present, and an uncertain future, God alone gets the glory when they accomplish amazing things by his power.
So god's kinda like that creeper at the bar who hunts for drunk, vulnerable chicks?

Location hidden

#641510 Jul 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://dinosaurs.about.com/od/otherprehistori...
What I find intriguing about Topix atheists is their inconsistency in knowledge and intelligence.
Everyone knows snakes had legs at one time. Yet they argue about stupid things like a serpent has always been a snake that slithers.
They uhhh.. weren't snakes then.

#641511 Jul 16, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently, wild garlic plants also drive away snakes. How effective this is, I do not know. However, they are good to keep Mosquitos away,so they are useful little plants
WTF why did this one come out grey?

Location hidden

#641512 Jul 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean I;m not getting it the way you see it?
LOL. Ok. Say you travel back in time 50,000 years. You meet the humans that existed then and show them your Zippo.**magic**
No. Our understanding, or lack thereof, can not define how God works. So you call it magic.
A lighter is not an inversion of natural law. The things ascribed to your god are, unless you want to get incredibly dishonest and project your own science inspired meanings onto the original text.

#641513 Jul 16, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, it's not magic unless it's explicitly referred to as magic, don't you understand? RR's faith rests on this tiny, insubstantial thread, do not break it.
Lol okay. He can win the argument.

People turn to snakes all the time, right? I mean, I have seen it with my very eyes, once or twice

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#641514 Jul 16, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you are living in North America, arguably the continent with the least amount of venemous snake species (save for Antarctica).
Here in SA, different story. We have our assortment of Cobras, Coral Snakes and Vipers. But the nastiest by a mile, is the Black Mamba. An adult snake can easily reach 12 feet. They have the fastest acting venom of any terrestrial snake, with death that can occur within half an hour. Some cases go even quicker (that depends on firltness, health, age of victim, amount of venom injected, etc.). It is the most feared snake in all of Africa anf many horror stories are told by the rural citizens. That is a snake you would want nothing to do with. I do not even want to be in a house with the thing. If you get bitten in tje lobby of the hospital, it may be too late by the time you get into ER.
Also, where other snakes mostly choose fleeing over fighting, the Mamba is nervous and easily angered. Think of a deranged meth head with a gun.

Mambas are highly aggressive I know, moccasins are fairly aggressive but do not inject the load of venom the mamba does, which is the reason it's so deadly, like up to 400 times the amount needed.

But to me the most awful death from one of them is the boomslang.

Location hidden

#641515 Jul 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
But he believes that abiogenesis is correct - without any supporting evidence.
Timn has faith.
No, I don't, I believe it to be the most likely explanation for life given the current evidence. You may feel that I'm being a pedant with this explanation, but I feel our personal definitions of the word "believe" vary greatly.

Location hidden

#641516 Jul 16, 2013
the word "faith" not the word believe

Location hidden

#641517 Jul 16, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I would think god would more appreciate those who did the best they could and didn't pester him all the time.
Hahahaha. "God, I killed a man, I need a favor real bad dude, I promise it's the last time."

Location hidden

#641518 Jul 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
A discerning individual would note that very old book hints at evolution from that story and the story of creation. This is very interesting because man would have to have existed with dinosaurs, or the writers of the book at a much later date would have had to have the knowledge to make a link between fossils and ancient life.
But Topix atheists lack that mental horsepower, which is why they limp along with what they consider their superior intellects told them. And get obnoxious with it.
Their science, and that of the theistic, is revealing our life and consciousness is based upon projections of what we call energy combined with mathematical formulations resulting in putting a picture together of what those projections bounce of off of. Their low horsepower does not allow them to venture beyond seeing something shiny and believing it is real and the only thing there is, no matter how hard one can try. Colloquially they can be called dumb, but a nicer term is ill equipped in the abstract thinking department.
Woah. Woah.. You're one of *those?* You're jesus-riding-on-a-dinosaur crazy?

Location hidden

#641519 Jul 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Read.
http://news.discovery.com/history/religion/mo...
Watch.
http://youtu.be/GM4_51K4PjM
Read and watch:
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/739229
Now keep in mind that this doesn't prove it did happen, just that it naturally could happen.
So - the scene: moses and his followers on the run, the evil pharaoh and his soldiers hot on his tail. It is becoming clear to all that there will be no where to go soon, the red sea is fast approaching and there is no way around it. The pharaoh licks his lips - he really does love him some jew killing. Moses cries out to god in dismay as he approaches the shore - all is lost - his lord has forsaken him. Just then, the lord commands moses to hold his staff over the water, and a strong wind comes from the east, nipping at the waters edges. Salvation! The lord has sent a mystical wind to part the sea!

And lo, everyone waits and chats idly while waiting 9 HOURS for the sea to part and drain into hypothetical "ancient waterways." Miracles take time and are dependent on many variables, you see.

Location hidden

#641520 Jul 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, come on, Pomona, cut people some slack.
They haven't had your training and success being a little man and showing Mommy who was right when she chastised you for spreading your poopy on the wall. She must have loved you very much.
You have a tenuous grasp of freudian psychology. He was a crackpot, anyway.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#641521 Jul 16, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Yeah, I've heard it does nothing. At the same time, like I said, people here swear by them. I've never tried it myself.

I always figured their tongues picked up the vapor and it was simply distasteful.

Location hidden

#641522 Jul 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Genesis 3:1
Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the LORD God had made.
Are snakes crafty?
They certainly might seem that way to a neolithic goat herder. Who knows what nonsense they dreamed up?

Location hidden

#641523 Jul 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I may be wrong, but perhaps snakes evolved from magnets?
No, catcher, everything evolved from magnets.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#641524 Jul 16, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
hahaaa,'Deranged meth head with a gun".

Cottonmouths here are like an angry drunk.

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

#641525 Jul 16, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you're correct, evolution is not abiogenesis.
I was referring to how in a billion and a half years simple cells became complex cells all own their own. But the evidence is still there in the rocks of the very early earth. It is questionable if life evolve as far as 3.5 billion years ago , but it is an absolute
certainty that it had formed by 2.7 billions years ago.
So here is your window, between 3.5 and 2.7 billion years ago life
formed on Earth. So if it was created, it had to have been created then. In this time frame we find nothing that supports your intention that something other than biochemical reactions in complex organic matter formed chains that became simple life.
Or in actuality algae like formations that in a further process stuck together in layers, used photosynthesis, reproduced , and took nutrients to survive.
If it is your contention a creator created this slime, then I will say you could be right, but what on Earth could you hope to cite as evidence this slime was created by a creator?
The complexity of the cell is evidence of a Creator. The capsule, with cell wall, cell membrane enclosing a cytoplasm to suspend ribosomes and a nucleoid. I don't see how even in the billions of years that'll just happen on its own. And moreover, there isn't much guarantee of ample opportunity in all of those years. It was not billions of years of stability.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min PadMark 687,291
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 14 min Aura Mytha 31,084
the REAL reasons O.J. Simpson beat murder charges 46 min Johnny 25
My "thorn in the flesh" God won't fix....this s... 1 hr Satan 5
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Hang em high 286,561
Whose fault was it that O.J. Simpson beat murde... (Mar '16) 1 hr Johnny 49
Why it's time for Donald Trump to RESIGN...in d... 2 hr Johnny 179
More from around the web