Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#640999 Jul 14, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Please. Dave is the only luminary among us.
Dave is generally repulsive, but I try to give him a pass.

The poor guy is trying to keep it together.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#641000 Jul 14, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Ok - the vagus nerve has nothing to do with the experience of heartache. Heartache describes an emotion that is in no way related. The vague nerve can help to reduce feelings of stress, or heartache, if you like, but it does not cause it. Even if it did, I don't know what you think you're proving. I agree that consciousness is affected by bodily conditions and external stimuli - the reason I disagreed with you in the first place was because you seemed to be implying that a heart transplant should drastically and directly affect consciousness to the point of a personality swap, and the fact that it doesn't proves the existence of a "higher process." That's all. You don't need to convince me that the "mind is affected by the brain/body/environment." (I am not supporting dualism here, it's just an easy way to phrase the sentiment).
Having a heart transplant will affect your thinking and consciousness because you realize you have a second chance. Among other things.

Timmy, people don't work like this,

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM1...

With organic brains, anyhow.

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#641001 Jul 14, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah...that's sordid and sad...
This bunch puts a lot of effort into suppressing any opposing views.
Myth Buster

Phoenix, AZ

#641002 Jul 14, 2013
Forum wrote:
You shall love the Lord your God
Take your self-degrading proselytizing and shove it up your ass, freak!
Myth Buster

Phoenix, AZ

#641003 Jul 14, 2013
RetardoFire wrote:
It is impossible to judge a design as optimal or sub-optimal without knowing the purposes of the designer and without knowing the constraints the designer faced during the design.
100% wrong! The blind hypocrisy of a mindless worshiper of an ever shrinking god of the gaps accusing rational adults of filling in "knowledge gaps" is almost beyond belief.

There's no disputing that if the universe was designed then it was designed inefficiently. Of course, there's absolutely no evidence of design, which brainwashed godbots like you don't have the guts to accept.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#641004 Jul 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You think someone with a replacement heart in them is not conscious of that?
You didn't specify what you are now missing, but if it isn't a key organ, it had a minor impact on the thought processes of your brain. If it was something like a gall bladder did you notice something was wrong before removal? Did it affect your thinking?
You project a lot into what other people say to reinforce your beliefs, which are based upon what you know, right?
Well, little Timmy, I am now going to impart what is called wisdom, and it didn't originate with me. It is rather old and based upon an absolute truth. It is something you should incorporate into your knowledge base somehow when determining realities and beliefs and determinations. Now, you will react negatively to it instead of analyzing it and incorporating into your being. Read that sentence twice, because you will.
In your travels and progression through life you will find that there was a lot you didn't know. Yet you made fateful decision based upon what you did "Know". You thought you were right at the time. This happens to everyone with a normal brain.
That is an absolute truth. Here is the wisdom.
Reserve judgment and determinations on the things you don't know yet and can't know.
That would include the supernatural, deities, etc, etc. It also means refrain from telling others they are wrong about something you can't know. Makes you look stupid.
How many times have I specifically said that a transplant might "mess with one's head" in a psychological sense? Now you're just being dishonest. Your initial assertion was that a transplant could *directly* affect consciousness, as if the heart is in any way responsible for subjective experience. Now that you have back pedaled to the more reasonable position of "external stimuli/bodily conditions affect consciousness," we have no argument.

I have no idea what your second paragraph is about.

I find it funny when you try to "impart wisdom" on others. Your wisdom consists of bland truisms. We make decisions based on the facts at hand? We don't know everything? It is sensible to withhold absolute judgement?*Profound.* Truly. Oh wait, is this a negative reaction? You're psychic!

Anyways, I do not hold the opinion that there is definitely not a god/supernatural realm. I am not telling you that you are definitively wrong to think there is a god, but I would tell you that there is no evidence for a god and that you therefore cannot expect reasonable people to believe in one. Also, you are wrong, as far as we know, when it comes to consciousness. There is no evidence whatsoever for dualism. I can't say for sure that it isn't possible, but that is no reason to believe it. The fact that our personalities remain consistent after an organ transplant is in no way indicative of dualism, since there is no reason to believe that our consciousness should fracture due to an implant.

Location hidden

#641005 Jul 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Having a heart transplant will affect your thinking and consciousness because you realize you have a second chance. Among other things.
Timmy, people don't work like this,
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM1...
With organic brains, anyhow.
As I have said, many, many times. Any external circumstances can affect you psychologically. The reason I disagreed with you is because you implied something a lot more far fetched than "external factors affect consciousness."

Location hidden

#641006 Jul 14, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#641007 Jul 14, 2013
Myth Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
100% wrong! The blind hypocrisy of a mindless worshiper of an ever shrinking god of the gaps accusing rational adults of filling in "knowledge gaps" is almost beyond belief.
There's no disputing that if the universe was designed then it was designed inefficiently. Of course, there's absolutely no evidence of design, which brainwashed godbots like you don't have the guts to accept.
100% wrong! You are the one with the strong faith to believe intelligent life formed from that puddle of crud and some chemicals. Do you belive in ET too? How would you know how it should be designed? That is the funniest thing I have heard today...LOL...way too funny.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#641008 Jul 14, 2013
How do you live without a hope in the after-life?
Greens - tuf

Australia

#641009 Jul 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Peter didn't have free will when he denied because that was an animal reaction to a threat. Was immediate. A reflex. Everything was still very new.
The free will comes when you have a clear choice without physical necessity being an immediate concern. His free will was following the path he did after consideration and putting himself in harm's way.
What a dumb post.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#641010 Jul 14, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Why...so you can tear away at my definition, piece by piece, with the single intent of attacking my character? Nah...I'll pass. You're not interested in a definition of God...just denigrating me.
love your confidence.

you denigrate yourself, you need no assistance.

Location hidden

#641011 Jul 14, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
How do you live without a hope in the after-life?
I feel that if a person has tried to live their life by the Golden Rule then there is no need for "hope" of an after-life, since whether they are religious or not they will be at peace in their last moments. Like I told my great gammy when she was dying from kidney failure, "You are a good person so if there is an after-life you won't be going to hell, and if there isn't one (after-life) then you simply slip away and there is nothing; no pain, no sorrow. Either way of thinking/belief is good enough for someone who has a clean conscience.
Greens - tuf

Australia

#641012 Jul 14, 2013
Sharkey wrote:
<quoted text>"I accept something created me".
I hope this is a way of thanking your parents, because they were the ones that actually created you.
You didn't come about because the stork brought you, or because some pod of aliens just decided to drop you off.
Your parents wouldn't be too happy with you referring to them as "something".
I'm sure Mr. and Mrs. Nelson are far from objects or "things", they are the people that went through the trouble having sex, giving birth to you, clothing you, feeding you and raising you.
You must be living in your own synthetic reality - I call it The Upside Down World of Bassacwardsville - for you to believe that "something" other than your parents created you.
Mr. and Mrs. Nelson are shaking their heads at their son's behavior right now.
They probably WISH that a stork brought you instead of your mother pushing you out.
"they are the people that went through the trouble having sex"

If you think having sex is troublesome than you probably ain't doing it right.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#641013 Jul 14, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I feel that if a person has tried to live their life by the Golden Rule then there is no need for "hope" of an after-life, since whether they are religious or not they will be at peace in their last moments. Like I told my great gammy when she was dying from kidney failure, "You are a good person so if there is an after-life you won't be going to hell, and if there isn't one (after-life) then you simply slip away and there is nothing; no pain, no sorrow. Either way of thinking/belief is good enough for someone who has a clean conscience.
Well said, sir.
Greens - tuf

Australia

#641014 Jul 14, 2013
Sharkey wrote:
<quoted text>At least you admit that your god makes no sense and is therefore unbelievable.
"'god created' me to 'create myself'". Pure pretzel logic from Religionist Redneck.
But, my friend, you deluded yourself into believing that the unreal is real, like so many schizophrenics.
BTW, my parents created me, not "god".
"God" did not have sex with my mother.
"my parents created me, not "god"."

So when you're mother was on the pill did you call them non creative days ?

Location hidden

#641015 Jul 14, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Condescending hypoprick!

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#641016 Jul 14, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Condescending hypoprick!
Well said, sir.

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

#641017 Jul 14, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
I stand corrected.,,that was TT and not you...
You are a lady, right?

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#641018 Jul 14, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet the answer is on Neptune...yep...that's there where it is...I just got a feeling. Oh Triple Fine...with your incomprehensible humility and awesomeness...please tell me the answer is on Neptune.
Not likely in this solar system.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min atemcowboy 550,773
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 27 min Commander Bunny 262,057
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 31 min Blk Thndr 602,758
Long Term Effects of Alcohol What it Really D... 40 min Commander Bunny 3
Homosexuality is wrong-- SIMPLE FACTS you dont ... (Sep '11) 1 hr toby_7 32
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 1 hr andet1987 4,837
Generalized NWO Rant with book references 1 hr WasteWater 19
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 hr bacon hater 96,408
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 hr Chris Clearwater 174,524

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE