|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even read my posts? I repeat, as I have done again and again, that I believe circumstances have to be taken into account.
You have this picture in your head of of everyone who steals getting their hands chopped and everyone who kills getting their head chopped. It doesn't work that way at all.
As for this issue of innocents dying, some will die. But you have to look at overall effectiveness. About 3% of women taking conventional osteoporosis medication end up with uterine cancer. Should we ban this medication?
It doesn't matter that you say "circumstances should be taken into account." I am quite aware that you have said that, and it's like me telling you that I considered the circumstances before lynching someone down the street, but don't worry, it was just. The state has a monopoly on violence - that does not make a state murder any more just than a personal execution. Killing someone is killing someone.

The problem is exacerbated when the poor are more likely to be forced into crime by circumstance, and appeals to circumstance generally don't work here in the US, and I seriously doubt they work in sharia land. Do they really care if criminal x stole that expensive watch to feed his family? They don't here. Again, your "balanced" society is one in which, in general, the downtrodden are culled, sometimes by death, from society. There is no way to make it work without unlimited resources. Additionally, deterrents do not work, so you are essentially advocating that we kill people purely for reasons of vengeance.

Your analogy is flawed. For one, medication is meant to heal, and those that don't die from it usually benefit, or at least are not harmed. Second - people take medication voluntarily; fully aware of the risks involved. Living in modern society does not count as implied consent to be executed as an innocent man for the "greater good." Execution serves no such purpose, it's deterrent effect is imaginary, and therefore any innocents lost to it are lost in vain. Even if it was an effective deterrent, there could be no justification for an innocent being executed. There is a difference between actively killing someone, as is the case with an execution, and not using a barbaric punishment to lower the crime rate (which it doesn't, anyway).

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

lots of typos sorry

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>It doesn't matter that you say "circumstances should be taken into account." I am quite aware that you have said that, and it's like me telling you that I considered the circumstances before lynching someone down the street, but don't worry, it was just. The state has a monopoly on violence - that does not make a state murder any more just than a personal execution. Killing someone is killing someone.
The problem is exacerbated when the poor are more likely to be forced into crime by circumstance, and appeals to circumstance generally don't work here in the US, and I seriously doubt they work in sharia land. Do they really care if criminal x stole that expensive watch to feed his family? They don't here. Again, your "balanced" society is one in which, in general, the downtrodden are culled, sometimes by death, from society. There is no way to make it work without unlimited resources. Additionally, deterrents do not work, so you are essentially advocating that we kill people purely for reasons of vengeance.
Your analogy is flawed. For one, medication is meant to heal, and those that don't die from it usually benefit, or at least are not harmed. Second - people take medication voluntarily; fully aware of the risks involved. Living in modern society does not count as implied consent to be executed as an innocent man for the "greater good." Execution serves no such purpose, it's deterrent effect is imaginary, and therefore any innocents lost to it are lost in vain. Even if it was an effective deterrent, there could be no justification for an innocent being executed. There is a difference between actively killing someone, as is the case with an execution, and not using a barbaric punishment to lower the crime rate (which it doesn't, anyway).
Christians have a difficult time separating themselves from the mentality that death provides some sort of "payment" for a crime.

The Jesus! dies in a sacrifice/penance payment for "sins".

The sinners die because if they don't accept the "payment" that the Jesus! makes for humans and "sin".

They've been conditioned to think that way.

It doesn't even have to involve a death, as it's still thought that severe punishment is a motivator to avoid severe punishment.

That doesn't work, however, and all you have to point to is any country that is brutally severe in punishment for crime, or even better still, just look at the result contained in the bible for crime(sin), IE; The Hell!

Even believers in the myth, still "sin" and don't follow the rules and methods that will keep them out of the Hell!

Funny, that.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
We all pray to Double Fine.
Duh
Blessed art thou, my child

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh thou art greatness of double fine , and I think of it when ever I see the twin peaks of her majesty or when I ask for the ice cream.
I always say 2 scoops will be fine please. hehehe
Blessed art thou, my child

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
DF is the false Messiah! Crucify him!
Hmm, we tried the right way up, and upside down. So let's try sideways!
:)
Mind you, Double Fine only requests (demands) a five percent tithe

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>It doesn't matter that you say "circumstances should be taken into account." I am quite aware that you have said that, and it's like me telling you that I considered the circumstances before lynching someone down the street, but don't worry, it was just. The state has a monopoly on violence - that does not make a state murder any more just than a personal execution. Killing someone is killing someone.
You cannot simply conclude, since your crime rate is high, therefore deterrents do not work, and throw the idea of deterrents out. Society is a lot more complex than that, and you have to bring everything to bear in combating crime. You have to look at why the deterrent is not working in your countrys case. It could be financial inequality, high unemployment etc which will make people be forced into crime. In such a case, do not apply the extreme deterrent. A person caught for stealing a watch may present his case as to why he stole and couldn't see any other way.

It is a fantasy to think that you can save them all. Innocents will die. I would rather have the state mistakenly executing a few innocents, than have the entire community overrun by thugs and innocents dying in dozens at their hands, and as if that is not enough, get the community to pay for these thugs to relax in prison.

You are fixating on this issue of innocents dying. It's as if you prefer they die on the street at the hands of gangsters, but as long as the state's conscience is clean, all is good.

If crime is high, it is a problem of unemployment and education and that has to be addressed on one side, but that doesn't mean you throw the deterrent out on the other side.

There is a difference between having the deterrent and enforcing it on a wide scale.

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Mind you, Double Fine only requests (demands) a five percent tithe
Yeah but you were quite fussy on the cross. You demanded beer instead of water.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah it was a tall boy he wanted too, you know 24 oz, a double beer. LOL
RedHorseRevelati on

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Bible PROOF 1.5 BIL MUSLIMS to die --

http://youtu.be/n7ok0g8iwJI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously, hey, I cannot hold down the alcohol I used to. A mere 2 years ago, I would go into a Durbanville pub and put away 6 Double gin and tonics within two hours. I would fly Joburg to Cape Town and polish 4 beers, in flight.

The other day, I had my first Gin and Tonic in months... I could not even finish it. I have wussed out, completely.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah it was a tall boy he wanted too, you know 24 oz, a double beer. LOL
Lol I wouldn't even be able to finish that. From drunken fighter to beerginner in less than a year

“I speak my mind”

Since: Sep 10

It hurts to bite my tongue

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Flowering period-less crickets hopping through cabbage and flower beds are more likely than a talking snake conning you into taking drugs to find out you were really naked to start with, if you think about it.
So when was the last time you was walking around unaware of you nakedness? Was there some menz following you? I have no idea why..lol
Hmmm...whatev...I'm gonna maintain that to come up with that crap....you had to be a little on the wasted side...lol...I mean seriously dude...I read that, then reread it, then read it again and I was just like..."hmm????"

Anywayzzz...I don't ever recall be unaware of my nakedness...for "menz" to be following me around. But that'd you'd have no idea why...if it were to have occurred...what's up with that? Are you attacking my appearance here Aura? Really??? LOL!

“I speak my mind”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>No silly you can't make sense of everything, sometimes a provocateur of delirium is lurking in the shadows of literary madness. The true nature of the Lord of Delirium unbeknownst to the unsuspecting prey who are amongst garden gnomes and the fruit of the vine.
Literary madness indeed! So you're the Jack London of this thread? Got it!:)

“I speak my mind”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you misunderstand. Which is bigger? Double Fine's incomprehensible humility, or Double Fine's infinite awesomeness?
The answer Double Fine comes up with, is both... At the same time
Alrighty then! So no Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde going on...Double Fine believes he is just an incomprehensible humble and awesome kinda kinda guy...

“I speak my mind”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Double Fine is comical, yes. It adds to Doube Fine's (already breathtaking) appeal.
Lol...so now you're Triple Fine!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Alrighty then! So no Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde going on...Double Fine believes he is just an incomprehensible humble and awesome kinda kinda guy...
Not believes.. Is. Many worshippers pray to Double Fine. There are not one, but two threads dedicated to the humility of Double Fine

“I speak my mind”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>The fact that our society is not perfect does not mean we should treat our prisoners badly. Life is terribly unfair sometimes. We don't gain anything by making it worse for criminals.
Well...no fear there! At least we got one thing going on for us.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

Myth Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
You should study the Big Bang Theory, abiogenesis and evolution if you're sincerely interested in learning facts in contradiction to your Christian brainwashing.
Thanks for proving you make big statements but can't back them up. You said: " If the universe had been deliberately designed then there would be overwhelming evidence of design and none exists." And what kinds of evidence would that be? Why are you so misinformed that you can't argue what you "think" you know?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm...whatev...I'm gonna maintain that to come up with that crap....you had to be a little on the wasted side...lol...I mean seriously dude...I read that, then reread it, then read it again and I was just like..."hmm????"
Anywayzzz...I don't ever recall be unaware of my nakedness...for "menz" to be following me around. But that'd you'd have no idea why...if it were to have occurred...what's up with that? Are you attacking my appearance here Aura? Really??? LOL!
What? I even got some skins for you to wear out of Eden ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 608,401 - 608,420 of679,964
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

682 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 min wilderide 216,829
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 min pusherman_ 596,504
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min hojo 512,007
Gay Snapchat Names 15 min HornyHarry88 1,331
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 29 min EdmondWA 89,549
Male public nudity exhibitionism 34 min bdh 5
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 34 min ajot 235
•••
•••