Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#640637 Jul 14, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Treatment is not cheaper than incarceration. I have no idea what cave you're living in...but you need to come on out and get in the real world.
The burden of paying for rehabs has shifted largely to the public sector, namely states. Medicaid, state-sponsored insurance programs for the poor, and other state agencies paid almost 60 percent of the total cost of rehab in 2003. That year, a total of $20.7 billion was spent on treating individuals with a substance dependency.
http://people.howstuffworks.com/rehab5.htm
Relapse rates for addictive diseases usually are in the range of 50% to 90%
http://www.caron.org/current-statistics.html
Now..since common sense seems to allude you...use those stats and try to wrap your head around the fact that most rehab programs are very expensive and over half of the time...they don't even work.
Don't misunderstand...I'm all about trying to help people...but rehab is far more costly than you seem to realize and it's effectiveness is dependent on quite a few factors that go beyond the tehab itself. At some point, people have to pull up their big girl and big boy undies and take responsibility for their own actions. As long as the state or government is willing to keep footing the bill for these people, they seem to keep coming back to rehab centers or keep rolling into the ERs with overdoses, where again, their state Medicaid ends up footing the bill. Apparently, Timn, you either don't work for a living or you enjoy working to pay for the irresponsibilities of others. I personally, do not.
You must be a Christian.

“I speak my mind”

It hurts to bite my tongue

#640638 Jul 14, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Every natural scientist from before plato up until a few centuries ago would like a word with you. It used to be quite obvious that life sprung from non life all the time. You owe your knowledge of the falsity of spontaneous generation to modern science.
My point being - no, the average lay person is not a reasonable authority on whether or not something is possible. The average lay person would have believed in spontaneous generation a few centuries ago (so did the scientists), and we now know that it doesn't happen because of modern science.
First, I'm not the average lay person...I actually hold a degree in my field...however, that degree or no other degree is necessary when speaking about this subject. Common sense and the ability to observe nature is really all one needs have to realize non-living matter does not produce life. But if you insists it requires scientific expertise...then by all means, produce some scientific evidence that it has, indeed, occurred.

“Move into the light.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#640639 Jul 14, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
I would think for anyone, a sufficient educational background and expert knowledge in one of the many fields of natural or physical sciences.
A scientist , is anyone who researches anything, while adhering to the scientific method of discovery.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/s...

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#640640 Jul 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists believe that nothing come form nothing with no cause at all and that nothing somehow magically turned itself from nothing into something.
Their head profit teaches them this.
“The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved literally out of nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.”
“The Ancestor’s Tale”- Dawkins.
This atheist doesn't know how life started.

And I'm not afraid to admit it.

And this atheist also knows that if it CAN be figured out and/or demonstrated in laboratory settings, then it WILL be figured out.

You have your answer.

You can stop looking now.

I find your answer extremely unsatisfying.

You're welcome to it.

“I speak my mind”

#640641 Jul 14, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Not believes.. Is. Many worshippers pray to Double Fine. There are not one, but two threads dedicated to the humility of Double Fine
Oh..pardon me...IS then. And does Double Fine humbly answer their prayers?

“I speak my mind”

#640642 Jul 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
What? I even got some skins for you to wear out of Eden ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =9P9S-N3IV10XX
link just pulls up YouTube...not a particular site...

last time I checked...I didn't claim to be Eve signed in though...

“I speak my mind”

#640643 Jul 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Na, I'm more the Yukon Cornelius type. heheheh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ijLOSDeRggwXX
lol...all makes perfect sense now!

“Move into the light.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#640644 Jul 14, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
First, I'm not the average lay person...I actually hold a degree in my field...however, that degree or no other degree is necessary when speaking about this subject. Common sense and the ability to observe nature is really all one needs have to realize non-living matter does not produce life. But if you insists it requires scientific expertise...then by all means, produce some scientific evidence that it has, indeed, occurred.

That is an oxymoronic question.
Oh course it has, there is life.

“I speak my mind”

#640645 Jul 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
A scientist , is anyone who researches anything, while adhering to the scientific method of discovery.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/s...
Ya think?

“I speak my mind”

#640646 Jul 14, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be a Christian.
yeap...got me there!

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#640647 Jul 14, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Dave, this is the problem with extrapolating your knowledge of circuitry to *everything.* There is certainly the possibility that having a transplant might "mess with your head" in a purely psychological sense, but if you are asserting that any changes in consciousness would be a direct, physical result of the transplant, that's pure nonsense.
If you believe what you just wrote then you are an insincere believer in a strictly material consciousness, and have a fuzzy definition of consciousness.

Your physical condition affects your thinking and consciousness on an ongoing basis. Plus, getting drunk or drugged is notorious for it. Loud music or a very uncomfortable environment can drive you up the wall. Reactions to stimuli shape your thinking.

Your brain would be totally reactive to what goes on in the body.

To keep an even keel would require another level of programming perched above the action/reaction functions of the brain that can detect those excess inputs and direct the release of chemicals in the right places to counteract. But it has to be detached from the influences somehow, and running on its own, so to speak.

Where is this magical part of the brain?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#640648 Jul 14, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Correction...you've never found God.
Neither have you.

“I speak my mind”

#640649 Jul 14, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Triple fine was too fine and was suffocated im a sea of lesbians. If Double Fine gets any finer his life is in danger
Then Double Fine should steer clear of Lesbian Seas and stick to Happy Hottubs!

“I speak my mind”

#640650 Jul 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
That is an oxymoronic question.
Oh course it has, there is life.
That is a moronic answer...without the "oxy". Evidence Aunt Martha...produce it.
contentWarning

AOL

#640651 Jul 14, 2013

Discerning EVIL SPIRITS in TV Preachers --

http://youtu.be/14h0k0PAz1Y

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#640652 Jul 14, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for proving you make big statements but can't back them up. You said: " If the universe had been deliberately designed then there would be overwhelming evidence of design and none exists." And what kinds of evidence would that be? Why are you so misinformed that you can't argue what you "think" you know?
is there ANY evidence for the god you imagine?

point to some

or his contention is demonstrated.

“I speak my mind”

#640653 Jul 14, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither have you.
Since I've been clear I can't prove, via scientific, verifiable evidence that I have...you have every right to assume that. But I know better...and for me...that's all that matters.

Location hidden

#640654 Jul 14, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Correction...you've never found God.
define "god"

Location hidden

#640655 Jul 14, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
for you
what would make someone a scientist?
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
I would think for anyone, a sufficient educational background and expert knowledge in one of the many fields of natural or physical sciences.
I asked "for you"

and the above response is a dodge.

contains your usual amount of truth.

Location hidden

#640656 Jul 14, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh..pardon me...IS then. And does Double Fine humbly answer their prayers?
to the same frequency of other gods

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 3 min MUQ2 39,952
News No emails left on Clinton's server, lawyer says 3 min discocrisco 1
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min onemale 270,032
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 8 min sangili karuppan 5,919
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 15 min RoSesz 578,911
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 23 min trifecta1 609,820
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 26 min Roberta G 176,202
More from around the web