Prove there's a god.

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

#640593 Jul 14, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Yo TT.
You are a Ph.D candidate Chemical Engineer, yes?
Can you please describe to us an experiment/product made, within your field of expertise, where you say "agh, screw it... Let us do it on the fly!"
Just asking
:)
Woop woop Stormers!
Hmm, perhaps just mixing cement to build a small wall that's not load bearing. You can use almost any cement, use trial and error to mix the water and get consistency, and build the wall. Anything more than that, the cement composition will have to be investigated, along with optimum water content.

Bulls got smashed hey!

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#640594 Jul 14, 2013
UidiotRaceMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
<quoted text> Christian fundamentalist prevades in the US militaristic Imperialist interventionist - good or bad?
God, Glory, and Guns my friend.
UidiotRaceMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#640595 Jul 14, 2013
oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text>God, Glory, and Guns my friend.
bad! Keep religion out of Military and out of politics - Serious you need to think bro
UidiotRaceMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#640596 Jul 14, 2013
later or whenever!Q out 69

“Jon Snow”

Since: Dec 10

The King in the Nor±h

#640597 Jul 14, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>If we go off what appears "obvious" to the lay person, then it is quite obvious that life comes from non life. Leave some meat out for a few days. Poof - life appears on it.
Don't confuse the failed hypothesis of abiogenesis with the modern day versions of biopoiesis theory of abiogenesis.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/661...

Or the The Oparin-Haldane theory, amongst other flavors of panspermia and chemical origins of life.
Which are completely different trains of thought.
Which creationist's will love to confuse between modern biochemistry and the origins and biosynthesis of life, with a medieval superstition concerning the appearance of maggots in rotting corpses.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#640598 Jul 14, 2013
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm, perhaps just mixing cement to build a small wall that's not load bearing. You can use almost any cement, use trial and error to mix the water and get consistency, and build the wall. Anything more than that, the cement composition will have to be investigated, along with optimum water content.
Bulls got smashed hey!
Yes!!

But it actually annoys me. We have whipped the asses of all 3 of the conference leaders. When the Stormers are on song, they are the best in the tourney.

But why play this kind of game after elimination??

“Listen to the sounds”

#640599 Jul 14, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>And your idea turns the state into a god. There exists no possible society in which the government can provide such excellent service that no one will have to turn to crime to survive. I doubt there exists a government that could even prevent a significant portion of the population from turning to crime at some point or another.
And so your "balanced state" will be nothing but a bunch of "haves" congratulating themselves on weeding out, via execution and dismemberment, the "have nots," who clearly turned to crime because of some innate evil, not because of external conditions.
You are thinking in extremes. I do not believe in a government chopping hands because of some $2 pirate DVD, or some murder based on temporary insanity and what not. There are people holding comfortable jobs, earn well, yet steal millions. Now clearly the person is a "have", he doesn't need to steal, and yet he steals millions. Those people need to be chopped. You have these drug dealers, living lavishly, making a career out of crime, a career out of destroying others lives, ordering hits on whoever wants to speak out, they need to be killed.

One has to look at circumstances. While I believe in having the death penalty and hand chopping, I do not believe it to be the punishment of choice for most instances of theft or murder.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#640600 Jul 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't confuse the failed hypothesis of abiogenesis with the modern day versions of biopoiesis theory of abiogenesis.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/661...
Or the The Oparin-Haldane theory, amongst other flavors of panspermia and chemical origins of life.
Which are completely different trains of thought.
Which creationist's will love to confuse between modern biochemistry and the origins and biosynthesis of life, with a medieval superstition concerning the appearance of maggots in rotting corpses.
I know - I was making the point that intuition is not always the best indicator of truth - in response to truth's claim that she, as a lay person, could reasonably ascertain the likelihood of abiogenesis.

#640601 Jul 14, 2013
UidiotRaceMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
<quoted text>bad! Keep religion out of Military and out of politics - Serious you need to think bro
Except when the worshippers pray to Double Fine

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#640602 Jul 14, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
We all pray to Double Fine.

Duh

Location hidden

#640603 Jul 14, 2013
I want all the religious folk here to watch this video. It might help you to understand what "we" mean when we say that religious belief and all that it entails often feels surreal and absurd.

Go to about 41 min in.

Then ask yourself this: 2 thousand years from now, if people are still "worshiping" this guy, would it be any less absurd than your religion?

This is not to denigrate religion - if you are fulfilled by your belief, it doesn't negatively affect your life, and you don't try to force it on others, there's not much I can say about it - it's just to give you a perspective on what it feels like to be on the outside looking in. You'll understand once you watch the video.

Location hidden

#640604 Jul 14, 2013
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
You are thinking in extremes. I do not believe in a government chopping hands because of some $2 pirate DVD, or some murder based on temporary insanity and what not. There are people holding comfortable jobs, earn well, yet steal millions. Now clearly the person is a "have", he doesn't need to steal, and yet he steals millions. Those people need to be chopped. You have these drug dealers, living lavishly, making a career out of crime, a career out of destroying others lives, ordering hits on whoever wants to speak out, they need to be killed.
One has to look at circumstances. While I believe in having the death penalty and hand chopping, I do not believe it to be the punishment of choice for most instances of theft or murder.
I am not thinking in extremes - obviously there are exceptions to every rule, but on the whole, your proposition is impossible and would only create a society in which the have nots are culled by the haves. Some might be truly "evil" and deserving of punishment, some might have turned to crime out of necessity, and some might be wrongly convicted. Either way, there is no way for a non post scarcity society to be so perfect that only the "bad guys" commit crime, and there is no appeal available for the dead father who stole repeatedly to feed his family, or the no luck guy who gets wrongly convicted.

“Jon Snow”

Since: Dec 10

The King in the Nor±h

#640605 Jul 14, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh thou art greatness of double fine , and I think of it when ever I see the twin peaks of her majesty or when I ask for the ice cream.
I always say 2 scoops will be fine please. hehehe

“Listen to the sounds”

#640606 Jul 14, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I am not thinking in extremes - obviously there are exceptions to every rule, but on the whole, your proposition is impossible and would only create a society in which the have nots are culled by the haves. Some might be truly "evil" and deserving of punishment, some might have turned to crime out of necessity, and some might be wrongly convicted. Either way, there is no way for a non post scarcity society to be so perfect that only the "bad guys" commit crime, and there is no appeal available for the dead father who stole repeatedly to feed his family, or the no luck guy who gets wrongly convicted.
Do you even read my posts? I repeat, as I have done again and again, that I believe circumstances have to be taken into account.

You have this picture in your head of of everyone who steals getting their hands chopped and everyone who kills getting their head chopped. It doesn't work that way at all.

As for this issue of innocents dying, some will die. But you have to look at overall effectiveness. About 3% of women taking conventional osteoporosis medication end up with uterine cancer. Should we ban this medication?

“Listen to the sounds”

#640607 Jul 14, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
DF is the false Messiah! Crucify him!

Hmm, we tried the right way up, and upside down. So let's try sideways!

:)

“Listen to the sounds”

#640608 Jul 14, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Duh
Crucify the disciples diagonally!

Location hidden

#640609 Jul 14, 2013
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even read my posts? I repeat, as I have done again and again, that I believe circumstances have to be taken into account.
You have this picture in your head of of everyone who steals getting their hands chopped and everyone who kills getting their head chopped. It doesn't work that way at all.
As for this issue of innocents dying, some will die. But you have to look at overall effectiveness. About 3% of women taking conventional osteoporosis medication end up with uterine cancer. Should we ban this medication?
It doesn't matter that you say "circumstances should be taken into account." I am quite aware that you have said that, and it's like me telling you that I considered the circumstances before lynching someone down the street, but don't worry, it was just. The state has a monopoly on violence - that does not make a state murder any more just than a personal execution. Killing someone is killing someone.

The problem is exacerbated when the poor are more likely to be forced into crime by circumstance, and appeals to circumstance generally don't work here in the US, and I seriously doubt they work in sharia land. Do they really care if criminal x stole that expensive watch to feed his family? They don't here. Again, your "balanced" society is one in which, in general, the downtrodden are culled, sometimes by death, from society. There is no way to make it work without unlimited resources. Additionally, deterrents do not work, so you are essentially advocating that we kill people purely for reasons of vengeance.

Your analogy is flawed. For one, medication is meant to heal, and those that don't die from it usually benefit, or at least are not harmed. Second - people take medication voluntarily; fully aware of the risks involved. Living in modern society does not count as implied consent to be executed as an innocent man for the "greater good." Execution serves no such purpose, it's deterrent effect is imaginary, and therefore any innocents lost to it are lost in vain. Even if it was an effective deterrent, there could be no justification for an innocent being executed. There is a difference between actively killing someone, as is the case with an execution, and not using a barbaric punishment to lower the crime rate (which it doesn't, anyway).

Location hidden

#640610 Jul 14, 2013
lots of typos sorry

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#640611 Jul 14, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>It doesn't matter that you say "circumstances should be taken into account." I am quite aware that you have said that, and it's like me telling you that I considered the circumstances before lynching someone down the street, but don't worry, it was just. The state has a monopoly on violence - that does not make a state murder any more just than a personal execution. Killing someone is killing someone.
The problem is exacerbated when the poor are more likely to be forced into crime by circumstance, and appeals to circumstance generally don't work here in the US, and I seriously doubt they work in sharia land. Do they really care if criminal x stole that expensive watch to feed his family? They don't here. Again, your "balanced" society is one in which, in general, the downtrodden are culled, sometimes by death, from society. There is no way to make it work without unlimited resources. Additionally, deterrents do not work, so you are essentially advocating that we kill people purely for reasons of vengeance.
Your analogy is flawed. For one, medication is meant to heal, and those that don't die from it usually benefit, or at least are not harmed. Second - people take medication voluntarily; fully aware of the risks involved. Living in modern society does not count as implied consent to be executed as an innocent man for the "greater good." Execution serves no such purpose, it's deterrent effect is imaginary, and therefore any innocents lost to it are lost in vain. Even if it was an effective deterrent, there could be no justification for an innocent being executed. There is a difference between actively killing someone, as is the case with an execution, and not using a barbaric punishment to lower the crime rate (which it doesn't, anyway).
Christians have a difficult time separating themselves from the mentality that death provides some sort of "payment" for a crime.

The Jesus! dies in a sacrifice/penance payment for "sins".

The sinners die because if they don't accept the "payment" that the Jesus! makes for humans and "sin".

They've been conditioned to think that way.

It doesn't even have to involve a death, as it's still thought that severe punishment is a motivator to avoid severe punishment.

That doesn't work, however, and all you have to point to is any country that is brutally severe in punishment for crime, or even better still, just look at the result contained in the bible for crime(sin), IE; The Hell!

Even believers in the myth, still "sin" and don't follow the rules and methods that will keep them out of the Hell!

Funny, that.

#640612 Jul 14, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Duh
Blessed art thou, my child

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 min Lifelover 619,168
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 17 min AussieBobby 284,451
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 28 min lightbeamrider 447
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 34 min Seentheotherside 45,788
Poll does anyone want to exchange nude pics? (Oct '13) 36 min Lukewad 47
The Future of Politics in America 45 min Johnny 131
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 45 min Neville Thompson 950
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr bad bob 184,654
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr kent 665,093
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 hr nanoanomaly 87,858
More from around the web