“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#638992 Jul 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too. I love the feel of sawdust and the smell of fresh cut lumber.
Yeah. I really, really hate, sometimes, that I have a job sitting in front of a screen for much of it and miss physical activity.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#638993 Jul 10, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
AL quickly runs to his pantry and frantically looks through his vast super secret stash of Cracker Jack boxes for a pilot license.......
Woohooo!

footrub?

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#638994 Jul 10, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose they may have been daughters of Eve or possibly even granddaughters...It's a taboo subject, but hey...it happened...whether it be Adam and Eve with their children or incestuous hominids...
I suspect it was not taboo at first but later on when they started noticing that too close of a hook up produced deformities like polydactylism.

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

#638995 Jul 10, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude have you listened to System of a Down?
Yeah I did. Top stuff! haha.

:)

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#638996 Jul 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes perfect sense.
But then why do atheists take the word of scientists & journalists & authors about God instead of a pastor holding a doctorate (a professional in the respective field)?
Specious argument. If I was a christian and wanted to know more about the christian interpretation of god, it would indeed make the most sense to go to a christian pastor. That's not the issue though. It's not like scientists are offering us a competing interpretation of god - our basic viewpoint is "god exists? Cool, prove it."

Why don't you take the word of a highly intelligent muslim apologist?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#638997 Jul 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I have read up on it. I've tried studying it. I just can't get past the damn guessing games. Here, some guesses on Wiki:
"Volcanic outgassing probably created the primordial atmosphere, but it contained almost no oxygen and would have been toxic to humans and most modern life."
Ok, first, wikipedia is not science. Second, please read what you're quoting.

The above is a guess as to the source of the environmental state of the early earth - keep in mind, we're discussing whether science has a good picture of what the early earth was like, not why it was like that.

You are confusing the two when you present a quote like the above as if it refutes my statement, including confusing wikipedia with scientific knowledge.
"Much of the Earth was molten because of extreme volcanism and frequent collisions with other bodies."
Uh...yes. So? Where's the issue here?
"One very large collision is thought to have been responsible for tilting the Earth at an angle and forming the Moon."
Yup. Again, what's the issue?
"Over time, the planet cooled and formed a solid crust, allowing liquid water to exist on the surface."
How do we know that any of that is true?!?!?!??
Oh, your problem is that you believe science is limited by your lack of knowledge.

That's the argument fallacy of "personal incredulity." Once again, RR, we are not limited by your limitations.

Just go read about science - how it forms models, where its evidence comes from. I can't help you if you won't get beyond your own lack of knowledge here. I'm sorry, but scientific understanding is not limited by you, or your ignorance in these fields.

(at the same time, my inability to understand quantum mechanics doesn't slow the discipline down one bit)

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#638998 Jul 10, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>"Commune" means "to speak intimately with". I would not speak intimately with anyone who's nature is to be snide, but I would speak formally with a snide lawyer, as business protocol requires. I was making the distinction between the two in a social setting, not a business one.
It was said tongue-in-cheek.

In a social setting, Double Fine communes with the ladies. Sometimes they are highly educated, sometimes not. But most times, Double Fine ends up being the life of the party.

Location hidden

#638999 Jul 10, 2013
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Snipped for space and because I can't get my post to show up.. maybe this will fix it.. sorry if I end up double or triple posting...
It all sounds barbaric, but when my parents and I were there, we were living a life we could not even imagine back in South Africa.
It is barbaric. I think that the official statistics from saudi arabia paint an unclear picture, however.

Starting with your claim about theft - it does seem that theft is indeed less of a problem in saudi arabia compared to the rest of the world. However, your assertion that "people don't steal" is false, as theft accounts for 47% of all crime in saudi arabia (in 2002, and it appears that crime has only gone up since then). Nevertheless, I will concede that theft does seem to be less of a problem than usual.

Regarding drugs - this is where your argument falls apart. Saudi arabia boasts the highest level of amphetamine seizures in the entire world, in spite of it's astoundingly barbaric trafficking laws. In 2009, saudi arabia accounted for 21% of all amphetamine seizures - 13554 kg in one year. The next closest was the US with around 7000 kg. So what do these brutal penalties accomplish?

http://deathpenaltynews.blogspot.com/2013/05/...

"The long-term growth in seizures in this region
was driven mainly by seizures in Saudi Arabia, which rose
consistently over the period 2000-2007, reaching 13.9
mt in 2007. Seizures in this country have remained
stable since then, amounting to 12.8 mt in 2008 and
13.4 mt in 2009. Saudi Arabia has a significant consumer market for Captagon tablets. In January 2010,
eight million Captagon pills were confiscated in a single
seizure in Saudi Arabia."

http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and-analy...

Additionally, there is the potential that many crimes go unreported for various reasons. There's also the strong possibility that, since saudi arabia follows sharia law, many crimes are resolved without any official involvement (and therefore no record keeping). The easiest example, for both possibilities, would be rape - females are often blamed and punished for being raped, making it unlikely they will even report a rape in the first place. As for crimes being resolved without going to the authorities, one needs to look no further than the glorious practice of honor killing, whereby the "crime" of violating the standards of chastity is punished with death. This goes to show that the citizenry is certainly capable of resorting to vigilantism.

http://trueslant.com/nealungerleider/2010/01/...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/158...

There's also the qutif rape case - a woman was thrown in jail and lashed for being gang raped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatif_rape_case

So, basically, I will grant you that saudi arabia might have a lower crime rate overall, but my main point - that deterrents don't work, is actually bolstered by saudi arabia.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#639000 Jul 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why you think theology is stupid, you expect it to give you information about the universe.
The Bible is designed to help teach you morality and more importantly about God, NOT the universe.
That'd be like complaining that reading War of the Worlds didn't teach you how to bake a cake.
Oh. That may have been where I went wrong then. Perhaps in reading my comments on theology, you're getting a glimmer of how frustrating it is to talk to someone who knows nothing of a discipline, yet produces authoritative, ignorant comments on it?

Anyways, the theology I read specifically tried to address religious reasoning with scientific thought - it was utterly culturally bound and woefully ignorant. And, it was from Oxford. If that's the best of the best, then theology is a complete waste of time.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#639001 Jul 10, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>. Perhaps it isn't...but Josephus is considered a historian and is considered as a real person of ancient times.
Oh yes, certainly. But remember that his account is hardly a first-hand one.

This is exactly why 'hearsay' is a legal objection. The information given in testimony must be first-hand accounts

Location hidden

#639002 Jul 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes....
The burden of proof lies with someone who is making a claim....
"Adam & Eve didn't exist" is a claim.
But you don't ask them to prove that.
Go figure.
There is not enough evidence to support the existence of a historical adam/eve. That's not a claim, it's an observation. There is also not enough evidence to support the existence of unicorns.

Also, adam and eve as described in the bible could not have existed. We have traced our lineage back to y chromosomal adam and mitochondrial eve, and they didn't even live at the same time - potentially separated by hundreds of thousands of years.

Location hidden

#639003 Jul 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.
Christian researchers can't be trusted.
Atheist researchers can be trusted.
Got it.
When their research is informed by the bible first and everything else second, yes, they can't be trusted.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#639004 Jul 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's saki, for Pete's sake. lol
And.....point taken. I don't mean to say that Hitchens or Dawkins are idiots, just that they aren't trained in the fields they debate.
Unless of course, debating IS their fields...
With Hitchens you're making the mistake that I get accused of so often - that a university degree makes for expertise (he had a degree, just not in theology). The reality is that the best thinkers in religion debated him (and lost). He quite clearly was an expert in Christianity (and Islam). No one would have debated with him if he wasn't producing very good argument and writing on the subjects.

With Dawkins, I agree with you. I found his book simplistic and preaching to the choir. However, I haven't seen it successfully refuted yet (although, to be honest, one person has pointed to me to inaccuracies in it - or misquotes, I can't recall).

I was in Oxford when Dawkins' book came out. With serendipity, I found a table full of PhD theologian students - what better, I though! So I engaged them - please tell me how Dawkins is wrong, i asked.

Sorry, RR, not a single one of them could produce an argument that I could not refute in seconds. I was left thinking that the entire field of theology must be parasitic and worthless. If you can find me a good theological discussion, by all means, share it.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#639005 Jul 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not insecure, I was just mocking you.
As an umbrella, I thought you'd understand.
See what I mean?

So insecure!

“The Intrepid”

Location hidden

#639006 Jul 10, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
So they were screwing their mother? Right, and how did Adam feel about this after his wife gave birth to his granddaughters who were in turn impregnated by their siblings? Or Adam fathered girls who were impregnated by their brothers...and christians think homosexuality is wrong? LMFAO
You need a minimum of 160 to 180 people to have enough genetic diversity to maintain a successful population which is free of genetic abnormalities, their children would be something akin to duelling banjos in Hicksville USA and would have been gone in several generations lacking the brainpower to nurse at their mothers breast.
Reallity does seem to scare you doesn't it?
They probably felt pretty dang good all the way up until the first deformity popped out.

BTW, Adam and Eve weren't Christians

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#639007 Jul 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you agree with Dawkin's answer here:
http://youtu.be/KZFErADIY8E
It's only 2:30, I thought the question (and his answer) were both interesting. Your opinion?
Yes, I agree with Dawkins' explanation.

Location hidden

#639008 Jul 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would an Almighty Creator need to take time to make His creation? Why did't He just *poof* it all at once?
It can be argued that Genesis lines up with evolution, even if just slightly.
I don't read Genesis as a literal account, I know that the "days" in Genesis don't equal 144 hours...
It can be argued that the lines on my hand correspond to the evolutionary history of mankind. Even if just slightly, you know?

“The Intrepid”

Location hidden

#639009 Jul 10, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you're talking!!! We southerners are pretty awesome!:)
The cuisine is awesome!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#639010 Jul 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Klingon is as made up and invented as English is.
Uhm...you mean to say that they're both arbitrary. English is not made up, and wasn't invented in one go. But the phonemes it attaches to meaning, signs and signifers are arbitrary.

Location hidden

#639011 Jul 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If it was in scientific publications, somebody would've posted here by now.
Yes, I watch those channels all the time, they put out some very interesting stuff.
The media also puts out a lot of different stuff. Your analogy to Kim is very true, but if there was some scientific evidence discovered that absolutely refuted the Bible, the media would be all over it.
The bible will never be 100% refuted, because christians will always find a way to dance around any contradictory evidence. "Oh this is a metaphor now."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 10 min lil whispers 605,133
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 17 min WildWeirdWillie 175,724
17 Cats Who Will Make You Question Evolution 47 min hafacs 1
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 54 min onemale 265,254
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 56 min Classic 1,906
Scientific proof for God's existence 1 hr God Truth 18
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Michael 559,800
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 hr foothillbilly 441,788
More from around the web