Prove there's a god.
Bongo

United States

#639325 Jul 10, 2013
Myth Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
Brainwashed Christian fundies, such as this positively revolting load of shit, are inevitably blissfully ignorant self-righteous bigoted azzholes without any socially redeemable qualities. An iceberg sung the Titanic not the monstrous deity of Christian mythology.
Oh yeah you miserable recidivist, what did the iceberg sing?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#639326 Jul 10, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>And we were talking about theology, and how stupid it is. So...I have to ask - is this question the best that theology has to offer? Is that why you linked it to me, telling me I would respond as ignorantly as Dawkins and Hitchens?

If so, thanks! I couldn't be in better company! Woooooooooohooooooooooo!!!!!!
RR's into guns.

It's too bad he's best at shooting himself in the foot.
Bongo

United States

#639327 Jul 10, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
As a child I did. Now as an adult I consider it more allegory or story telling to explain the beginnings of life and human history.
I'm not a fundie. But I still have strong faith however.
Its my understanding that you also have a strong sense of fashion and you will give a sucker an even break.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#639328 Jul 10, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:

Hi Tim - this is true.
The heart has no ability but to pump blood through the body. It has no play in any "thinking process" card game.
Those who think it does, do not understand how emotions are manufactured within the body.
Good post!
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The heart is part of a coordinated system.
True....the human body.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It pumps the blood made in other portions of the body, but is controlled by a feedback network of bodily functions and the brain giving the variability it has to adjust to conditions.
True - the brain controls all functions within the body.

Our body can die, but one is not "legally dead", until they are "brain dead", as mechanical devices can continue to keep a person alive. Note that mechanical devices cannot keep the brain alive.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your brain will know something is wrong if a foreign device is in there.
Okay, so.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You say we are strictly material beings.

I did? Please post my response and post number.

FYI - just so you understand me completely. I believe that our Spirit is also part of my body.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your present thinking, and thus control of your body, which includes your mind will be subject to the new package you become.
It's okay to speculate this aspect of a person's "evolution", but it has not been proven. Do you have some proof to support this claim.

One could use the many paranormal investigations and techinques that have been used to capture "ghosts, spirits, or other supernatural going-ons", but the world of Science still seems to reject that they are evidence. What do you got?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Note the issues with synthetic materials. You have organic matter beating to the tune of its own DNA in a transplant.
So. Your point being?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What in your physical brain can reset its total working without changing your thinking capabilities?
When I think about religion.

:o)
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"A synthetic replacement for the heart remains one of the long-sought holy grails of modern medicine. The obvious benefit of a functional artificial heart would be to lower the need for heart transplants, because the demand for organs always greatly exceeds supply.
Although the heart is conceptually a pump, it embodies subtleties that defy straightforward emulation with synthetic materials and power supplies. Consequences of these issues include severe foreign-body rejection and external batteries that limit patient mobility. These complications limited the lifespan of early human recipients to hours or days."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_heart
So. The heart still does not play a role in the "thinking process".

Your citation is irrelevant to my point, but thanks for posting some info on the heart.
Bongo

United States

#639329 Jul 10, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Had lots of Paella in Spain, but wasn't too impressed. Had foe gras there, but it wasn't as good as when I had it in North America. Their outside bars were fun, though, and the beer was good.
The conch is not as good as the stewed chicken in Belize.
Oh! And I had some great Western-meat food in Britain! Bangers and mash is gross, but Sunday roast - to die for!
You?
Only went to Puerto rico so far this year consuming all the various aquatic species and lots of Bing cherries. I declined a chance to have some iquana.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#639330 Jul 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Cain's wife was his sister.
I know what you're going to say, but you're mistaken. According to the bible they were pure humans, so incest was not an issue.
Cain didn't have a sister at the time.

The Bible doesn't mention sisters until after Seth is born....when Adam was 130.

Moot point anyway as these are all fictional characters
Bongo

United States

#639331 Jul 10, 2013
Myth Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you forgot to take your meds today, punk?
Does it scare you to look in the mirror chunky flunky? or is it limpoma ? You need to do something about all that adipose tissue you have, its making you mad.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#639332 Jul 10, 2013
Hi Tim - this is true.
The heart has no ability but to pump blood through the body. It has no play in any "thinking process" card game.
Those who think it does, do not understand how emotions are manufactured within the body.
Good post!
<quoted text>
True....the human body.
<quoted text>
True - the brain controls all functions within the body.
Our body can die, but one is not "legally dead", until they are "brain dead", as mechanical devices can continue to keep a person alive. Note that mechanical devices cannot keep the brain alive.
<quoted text>
Okay, so.
<quoted text>
I did? Please post my response and post number.
FYI - just so you understand me completely. I believe that our Spirit is also part of my body.
<quoted text>
It's okay to speculate this aspect of a person's "evolution", but it has not been proven. Do you have some proof to support this claim.
One could use the many paranormal investigations and techinques that have been used to capture "ghosts, spirits, or other supernatural going-ons", but the world of Science still seems to reject that they are evidence. What do you got?
<quoted text>
So. Your point being?
<quoted text>
When I think about religion.
:o)
<quoted text>
So. The heart still does not play a role in the "thinking process".
Your citation is irrelevant to my point, but thanks for posting some info on the heart.
Then you can not believe in consciousness being an exclusively physical process.

Sorry, that is just the way it is. A system is a system. Change a circuit and it becomes a different system. We are not talking changing brakes on a car here, but organic matter under power.

You are one of those atheists that throws magic into your existence and then denies anything beyond the physical. Very inconsistent logic.

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

#639333 Jul 10, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
like I always say...there's no such thing as a moderate muslim.
Haha. I'd say I'm just a different kind of moderate.

Do you see yourself as moderate? One could easily think that you are an extreme leftist.

Evolution is true.....

#639334 Jul 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You do understand that the Bible is more than one sentence long, right?
Parts of it are metaphorical while others are literal.
What's the problem?
Oh ya, you're biblically ignorant.
Never mind.
Oh....so you DO understand that the Bible is part metaphorical.

That's great, so you can understand that most,if not all, of the first 5 books of the Bible are metaphorical and not literal?

You CAN accept that there was NO Adam and Eve, NO Noachian flood, NO Tower of Babel, NO Exodus, NO Joshua bringing down the walls of Jericho. Because all I mentioned are NOT true stories, they are Metaphors.

You've come a long way grasshopper.:-)

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#639335 Jul 10, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Its my understanding that you also have a strong sense of fashion and you will give a sucker an even break.
Faaaaaabulous........!!

“Listen to the sounds”

#639336 Jul 10, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I am basing this on seizures - they paint a pretty clear picture. Where do you think the drugs are being transported to and why? Why would someone risk transporting drugs through saudi arabia if they weren't actually supplying people in saudi arabia? And my goodness, if even more people would be willing to "try their luck" in "deterrent-less" saudi arabia, it would be overflowing with amphetamines.
Anyways, drug abuse statistics are besides the point. The point is that there are enough people willing to risk a beheading that saudi arabia has the highest number of amphetamine seizures in the entire world. Shouldn't people be "deterred" enough to push saudi arabia's trafficking rate down? No, because as you said, there "will always be a certain percentage of people who are selfish, destructive, and commit essentially evil acts against others..."
I agree. There will always be a criminal element, and we can't save them all. However, I don't agree that we have two choices - executing them or allowing them to live among us. There is a lot of grey area in there. What's wrong with trying to improve the lives of our prisoners? What's wrong with treating addicts in prison? And for those that we deem truly too far gone, why not just keep them separated from society instead of killing them?
What's wrong with keeping murderers and drug suppliers alive in prison? What's wrong with improving prisoners lives? What's wrong is that it costs money, money that society doesn't have.

Perhaps if one lives in a rich and well governed country where healthcare is wonderful and of good quality to cater for the citizen population, perhaps if every single public school is well staffed and well facilitated to give all children an equal quality education, perhaps if tertiary institutions in the country are able to cater for a large segment of school leaving students, and if we have money left over, then we can look at prison conditions and keeping psychopaths alive for whatever reason.

But until then, giving these criminals second, third, and fourth chances at making an honest life, while there are some children and youth who didn't even get a decent first chance at making it in life, is very uncivilized in my opinion.

These ideals all sound very good in theory, but in practice you can't simply ignore the cost.

“Listen to the sounds”

#639337 Jul 10, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow.
How about a man who would watch a child starve to death while sitting in the lap of luxury?
Or how about the man that would risk his very life to steal food for his child?
Which is more deserving or your disgust?
There is a difference between being forced to turn to crime out of necessity, or out of survival, and making a career out of crime. A father having no choice, and stealing food for his child is noble. Any good father in such horrible circumstances, would do that for his child.

A man living in luxury forever wanting that new Aston Martin and yaught or private jet while children starve to death, is very uncivilised in my opinion. He is consumed in materialism, consumerism and vanity. Unfortunately, vanity is one of those "sins" that can't really be made illegal or criminalized.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#639338 Jul 10, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh....so you DO understand that the Bible is part metaphorical.
That's great, so you can understand that most,if not all, of the first 5 books of the Bible are metaphorical and not literal?
You CAN accept that there was NO Adam and Eve, NO Noachian flood, NO Tower of Babel, NO Exodus, NO Joshua bringing down the walls of Jericho. Because all I mentioned are NOT true stories, they are Metaphors.
You've come a long way grasshopper.:-)
Sure I can.

Demonstrate that Adam and Eve, Noah's flood, The Tower of Babel, Exodus, and Joshua bringing down the walls of Jericho are metaphorical stories.

Go.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#639339 Jul 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have to believe it, Hiding. That's ok.
You want to remain ignorant of the facts of the bible. That's ok, too.
Hey, you've come up with another oxymoron:

"The facts of the bible."

Good one!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#639340 Jul 10, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.
What if the both opt for audio books?

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#639341 Jul 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>

Demonstrate that Adam and Eve, Noah's flood, The Tower of Babel, Exodus, and Joshua bringing down the walls of Jericho are metaphorical stories.
Go.
This is the sort of post that demonstrates what a simpleton you are.

Evolution is true.....

#639342 Jul 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I've googled it, I've researched it, I've read about it, I even had a pop-up book that had planets and everything.
I can't buy into the absolute guesswork that goes into the formation of the earth & sun. I don't buy it.

You say: "You can't buy into the absolute guesswork (it isn't) that goes into the formation of the earth and sun.

Yet you can totally buy into a book that was written by iron age goat herders. A book full of known discrepancies and known mythological lies.

Wow....that's just amazing.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#639343 Jul 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Bravo!
You are almost starting to understand.
See if you understand this.
Your materialistic view is the body IS "THINKING". Period. No overarching process that can make corrections or direct. If there was one it would be in the DNA, right? Your natural body is just an extension of that DNA.
Of course your body affects your thinking, but the norm is injuries, illnesses, and others that are part of the normal patchwork. All of your body parts have a similar "consciousness".
Insert a foreign collection of "consciousness", living stuff, not just a bullet or such, into that neural network, and you should come up with a different consciousness, and thus personality. That living matter is not passive like a bullet. It has its own internal programming via its DNA.
Would you be a split personality with a transplant? What could prevent it?
If you take away the appeals to "consciousness" (which seem to be appeals to a non-physical soul, although I could be mistaken), then you're describing a 'way of looking at the body' called "phenomenology."

It's an important anti-Descartes way of acknowledging that one's personality is embodied and not mind/brain.

The interesting bit that I'm sure you don't acknowledge is that this is an evolutionary argument - the phenomeonologists don't get this, either, so you're in good company. And when I patiently explain it to them, they just sort of run away from any biological implication. The Cartesian mind/body dualism, that phenomenology argues against, is anti-evolution.

So I'm glad to see you embracing a phenomenological understanding of human experience.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#639344 Jul 10, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
No need to be sorry Hiding......
You believe it's a myth while others believe its something completely opposite. I was just pointing out that Genesis doesn't tell us a complete account. It couldn't. The book would just be too damn big and I'm not sure you could handle it.
It's not really designed to explain the origins of humanity, but put it into a metaphorical framework, complete with apical ancestors, to create a shared sense of in-group for people in Abrahamic religions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 9 min Never-ending Doctor 29,791
I want to watch my wife flirt and get picked up... (Aug '12) 58 min LayedbackMick 140
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 280,529
Looking for Female Yorkie to mate with my male ... (Mar '13) 1 hr Ann Todd 144
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr MUQ2 43,899
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Phooey 637,917
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr DebraE 104,199
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr good advice 617,967
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr Freebird USA 181,944
More from around the web