Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#639343 Jul 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Bravo!
You are almost starting to understand.
See if you understand this.
Your materialistic view is the body IS "THINKING". Period. No overarching process that can make corrections or direct. If there was one it would be in the DNA, right? Your natural body is just an extension of that DNA.
Of course your body affects your thinking, but the norm is injuries, illnesses, and others that are part of the normal patchwork. All of your body parts have a similar "consciousness".
Insert a foreign collection of "consciousness", living stuff, not just a bullet or such, into that neural network, and you should come up with a different consciousness, and thus personality. That living matter is not passive like a bullet. It has its own internal programming via its DNA.
Would you be a split personality with a transplant? What could prevent it?
If you take away the appeals to "consciousness" (which seem to be appeals to a non-physical soul, although I could be mistaken), then you're describing a 'way of looking at the body' called "phenomenology."

It's an important anti-Descartes way of acknowledging that one's personality is embodied and not mind/brain.

The interesting bit that I'm sure you don't acknowledge is that this is an evolutionary argument - the phenomeonologists don't get this, either, so you're in good company. And when I patiently explain it to them, they just sort of run away from any biological implication. The Cartesian mind/body dualism, that phenomenology argues against, is anti-evolution.

So I'm glad to see you embracing a phenomenological understanding of human experience.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Some stable somewhere

#639344 Jul 10, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
No need to be sorry Hiding......
You believe it's a myth while others believe its something completely opposite. I was just pointing out that Genesis doesn't tell us a complete account. It couldn't. The book would just be too damn big and I'm not sure you could handle it.
It's not really designed to explain the origins of humanity, but put it into a metaphorical framework, complete with apical ancestors, to create a shared sense of in-group for people in Abrahamic religions.

Some stable somewhere

#639345 Jul 10, 2013
Myth Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously, you still can't handle the irrefutable historical fact that Christianity is a derivative religious cult with very little originality and the damn bible is a plagiarized work of fiction. Shame on you, cowardly Al Garcia!
Al is not a coward.

But don't believe me - find him and just try saying that face to face.

Some stable somewhere

#639346 Jul 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have to believe it, Hiding. That's ok.
You want to remain ignorant of the facts of the bible. That's ok, too.
They myths in the Bible aren't facts, young man. We can produce facts about the Bible, though, through arky and history - I have no issues with those, provided they're done by competent scholars.

Some stable somewhere

#639347 Jul 10, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
RR's into guns.
It's too bad he's best at shooting himself in the foot.
That poor, poor foot!

RR, do you need a hug?
Ihavefoundyou

Oakland, CA

#639348 Jul 10, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
"phenomenology."
Hi there! I ummm.. Have you ever read the bokk called 'Sims' by F.Paul Wilson? I am sure you would like it.
You should get that diaphanous and phenomenology checked out by a MD doctor. It could be dangerous.
Be careful with that gun now! You might shoot soimething you need!!

Since: May 11

Ashford, UK

#639349 Jul 10, 2013
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha. I'd say I'm just a different kind of moderate.
Do you see yourself as moderate? One could easily think that you are an extreme leftist.
There is nothing moderate about seeing the virtue of cutting off limbs and heads in a public square.
There is nothing extreme or 'leftist' about insisting that human rights are inviolable.
Ihavefoundyou

Oakland, CA

#639350 Jul 10, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
That poor, poor foot!
RR, do you need a hug?
I would like to see your 'soul patch', so could you umm.... raise your skirt a little-just a little.
I know, I know you are going to ask how I've been.. so I will tell yo9u.. Me and Willy have been doing real good. Willy has just gotten new wood! The 'wood' has a bit of a termite problem but he is diggin' his new wood nevertheless.
Myth Buster

Prescott, AZ

#639351 Jul 10, 2013
HolyDamnItsSam wrote:
It's not something that can or needs to be proven. It's something you believe or you don't. It's really just that simple.
All of the scientific evidence fully supports entirely natural origins for the universe and life on earth. Organized religion is a hoax created to control gullible fools like you. It's really that simple.
Ihavefoundyou

Oakland, CA

#639352 Jul 10, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>

There is nothing extreme or 'leftist' about insisting that human rights are inviolable.
Generally speaking, it is the 'leftists' that infringe on what you speak of.
Stop trying to be some sort of Einstein.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#639353 Jul 10, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
If you take away the appeals to "consciousness" (which seem to be appeals to a non-physical soul, although I could be mistaken), then you're describing a 'way of looking at the body' called "phenomenology."
It's an important anti-Descartes way of acknowledging that one's personality is embodied and not mind/brain.
The interesting bit that I'm sure you don't acknowledge is that this is an evolutionary argument - the phenomeonologists don't get this, either, so you're in good company. And when I patiently explain it to them, they just sort of run away from any biological implication. The Cartesian mind/body dualism, that phenomenology argues against, is anti-evolution.
So I'm glad to see you embracing a phenomenological understanding of human experience.
:-)

Whatever you said.

I believe in a what some will call a spiritual mind creating the material, and the material getting in the way of full expression, which is something done by design.

It is hilarious how the kneejerk anti "supernatural" on here call me a godbot and etc because they aren't able to think on a higher level. I'm a technician. I've had my base consciousness separated from the physical. I have experience in applied sciences and circuitry. I do not suffer from the hypnotism induced upon the weak minded by sophistric and esoteric sciences using confusing words, which is just a substitute for religion with its own esoterica and confusing words.

I understand how energy flows and work gets done. And I also know that energy I use and everyone else uses is just a branch of a larger supply.

I see us as integrated circuits channeling energy for the purpose of whatever threw the switch, which we are a part of and connected to because we are created of its world, dimension, or whatever you want to call it.

Ain't got no god I can identify, I just know I am part of something larger and under at least some direction and control of it.

There ain't no magic in that. The magic is reserved for the atheists that believes they are independent operators, not understanding it is impossible.

Jesus and others were also discrete circuits produced for a reason.
Myth Buster

Prescott, AZ

#639354 Jul 10, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
You're going there aren't you PA?
You can stomp your feet like a bratty child all day long, but you can't cheat death by being a cowardly slave to Dark Ages dogma. Grow up!
Ihavefoundyou

Oakland, CA

#639355 Jul 10, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>

Huh you being in the U.K should know that. The leftists have literally destroyed the U.K, especially Britain.

“THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD;”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#639356 Jul 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth s not selective. The truth is not multiple choice.
Children are not taught math and anti math.
Religious doctrine has no place in public schools.
If you want your kids to learn religious indoctrination in school...
Send them to Westboro Baptist.
Why do you avoid the questions to you in my other post??

What makes you think Science is the only truth, the "only" alternative in how we come to be??
Myth Buster

Prescott, AZ

#639357 Jul 10, 2013
Brainwashed Asshole Bongo wrote:
Does it scare you...
It concerns me that stark raving mad insane lunatics like you aren't locked up where you sick f*cks belong.
Ihavefoundyou

Oakland, CA

#639358 Jul 10, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Cain didn't have a sister at the time.
The Bible doesn't mention sisters until after Seth is born....when Adam was 130.
Moot point anyway as these are all fictional characters
I am glad you agree, my lovely sweet heart!
Now let us have a look at the real Eve...
http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology...

Do you like basketball? Lets play!...

Myth Buster

Prescott, AZ

#639359 Jul 10, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Al is not a coward.
Religious indoctrination requires both ignorance and cowardice. The religiously brainwashed child is more ignorant than cowardly and the religiously brainwashed adult is more cowardly than ignorant.

Al has acknowledged being a brainwashed godbot via Christian indoctrination and all Christians are death-denying cowards. You should never encourage an addict to ignore the reality of their addiction.
Ihavefoundyou

Oakland, CA

#639360 Jul 10, 2013
Myth Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
It concerns me that stark raving mad insane lunatics like you aren't locked up where you sick f*cks belong.
The wonders of God!...

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#639361 Jul 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you can not believe in consciousness being an exclusively physical process.
Sorry, that is just the way it is. A system is a system. Change a circuit and it becomes a different system. We are not talking changing brakes on a car here, but organic matter under power.
You are one of those atheists that throws magic into your existence and then denies anything beyond the physical. Very inconsistent logic.
Wrong Dave. I'm not an Atheist.

"Change a circuit and it becomes a different system."
- I've yet to hear of a "brain transplant" that worked. Maybe you have.
- Again, the brain controls all functions in the human body, whether you think this is true or not, then so be it, you have that right.

But your diversion to my point that the "heart has nothing to do with the thinking process" only shows you let your emotions overpower your reason.

Good luck with that - we'll just agree to disagree at this point.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#639362 Jul 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you can not believe in consciousness being an exclusively physical process.
I wanted to respond to this portion ofyour post, so my apologies for a second post....

I don't believe my consciousness as being an exclusive physical process.

I believe it to be a spiritual one.

Besides, my training in metaphysics tells me it is spiritual, and I have yet to experience any physical change in my consciousness, except one that increases my knowledge of such an energy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min arrr 25,057
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min Michael 685,518
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 min PrinceofDarkness 619,751
Dog was hit by a car. Who is responsible for what? 35 min Some Advice 7
Truth About The Term: "White Nationalists" 1 hr RACIST DETROIT COPS 2
Any horny girls with snapchat looking for fun (Oct '16) 2 hr Wolf_cuddler 12
What is the most forbidden sex you have had ? (Nov '16) 2 hr Wolf_cuddler 7
More from around the web