Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ugh
****hypothetical**** gun, to make a joke.
Never point a gun to anyone you do not want to shoot. Not even a hypothetical one

Tee hee

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Very cool. At my old house near Pretoria, I had Canary palms, banana trees, Azaleas, peach trees, all growing wildly. No fertiliser, all taking direct sun. Beauties. Sadly, I traded it for the concrete jungle in 2011.
Anyways. My point. Agriculture is not such an obvious activity to start doing. Hell, gardening is not such an easy thing to do. Even with murseries clse by, a whole host of products to use and expert advice available on the Net, sometimes plants just die. Sometimes, you were stupid, like planting that Fuschia just too close to your Azalea or Gardenia. Other times, for no apparent reason at all, they die.
Some people woild just chuck in a plant and go while it grows, others would pamper it with superphosphate and bonemeal, compost and organic fertiliser, and still the plant would die.
I am sure humankind learnt the connection between seeds and plantgrowth, but their knowledge about the plants themselves were lacking.
Ever hear of root women? The ones that know all about plants, herbs, etc. They go back to the earliest of mankind. Observation and experimentation. Chemistry. Cooking is chemistry. They didn't need to write it in a book and publish it, and get it peer reviewed. They just learned it and used it to survive. I am sure the sense of taste was important in their studies.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
"Exactly how and when organic molecules appeared in abundance on the young Earth, leading to the origin of life about 4 billion years ago, has been unclear. But new research suggests that meteor impacts could have created amino acids, the building blocks of life."

"Could have" is not evidence.

I think you see where I'm going with this......

Since: May 11

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes but his recent court appearance was to get his status changed, it failed thank goodness, had it not failed…
Multiple and sadistic killing are not the work of a normal mind.
As for the rest, there is a saying that I am sure you are aware of – the law is an ass
It has been built up piecemeal over hundreds of years, in some parts contradict other parts, come parts countermand other parts and some parts validate parts that other parts countermand and contradict
It is really any wonder that the average Joe is clueless and needs to place his trust and money in barristers? Who at least make the claim to understand it.
The law degree is a research degree, one does not 'know the law' after completing an LL.B., one simply knows where to look, the Bachelor of Law then completes a BVC(as it was when I did it) it's a BPTC now, and if he's lucky or has the time he gets an LL.M. in Legal Professional Practice(£2000 extra and five 5000 word dissertations), this tells him how the law works, how the court system works, how to conduct himself in court because this is where he will live. Then he is called to the Bar.

If he's good enough he gets a 12 month pupilage where he works minor cases and upon completion he is qualified and can practice.

...as far as understanding the Law... you may very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
"religion is an ever shrinking pocket of scientific ignorance"~ Neil deGrasse Tyson.
Aura's link:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/150417-ast...

Did you bother to read it or check it's accuracy?

"These findings aren’t a slam dunk, though. According to our in-house biologist John Hewitt, there’s a strong possibility that the fossils aren’t actually biological in nature — they simply look biological.“This is kind of like finding a Q from Scrabble floating in space; it may be worth 10 points, but finding a few Es first would be a bit more convincing,” Hewitt says. There’s also the fact that the research was published in the Journal of Cosmology, a peer-reviewed journal that has come under critical scrutiny numerous times since it was established in 2009. The journal faced a lot of controversy when it published a paper by NASA engineer Richard Hoover claiming to have found fossils “similar to cyanobacteria” in meteorites.

With that said, the work presented in the Cardiff University research paper does seem to be rather professional."

Debunked.

But you still believe it.

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to ask. A Ph.D in what?
Oh he's a real Ph.D. in Geology...but truth escapes him when it conflicts with his dogma.

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand your belief.
I didn't say belief, I said more plausable...meteors do actually exist.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Well for starters, you don't know shit about evolution, and what you have learned you reject every damn day.
We can tell she has studied it, and knows a great deal.
It has nothing to do with debate, it has to do with facts.
She isn't a great debater, but can supply a mountain of evolutionary facts.
"You just don't understand."

Shit, I haven't heard that in a few days, I was wondering what y'all were waiting for.

I do understand plenty about evolution. Not as much as Hiding, to be sure.

But to say she's a scientist because she knows more about evolution than I is ridiculous.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand your belief.
Well, technically it IS possible that a meteor/comet can bring simple life to earth, or at the very least, amino acids. No problem.

But that may be an attempt to evade the issue, methinks. Somehow or another, LIFE STARTED. If a meteor brought a single celled organism along, that single celled organism had to come from somewhere.

Now, I am no expert on this. But if I had to select a place where abiogenesis would take place, and I had to select between the earth, with its nice and cozy atmosphere, its modest temperature range and abundance of water, and some space rock, floating in the asteroid belt at -130C (or however cold it is there), I would choose earth to be far more likely

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
We would take his word as far as it goes about interpretation of texts, etc. But as for demonstrating the deity? As for contacting the deity? Not gonna fly
I get that.

But why do atheists take the word of a non-professional, like Hitchens or Dawkins, as fact?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Science has created synthetic life, not news. Science has discovered the missing particle, not news. Science has provided a mathematics that will combine atomic and quantum calculations, not news. Which incidentally allows mathematicians and scientist to work at levels involving black holes, singularities and the big bang, not news. Which incidentally allows scientists to now state that although they don’t know precisely what happened (there are at least 27 valid and justifiable theories) one thing is certain, no god did it, not news.
Why is this not news? Because it is just everyday science, science is not there to disprove a god, that is just a coincidental result of the science.
However as far as deities are concerned the energy mass equivalence formula disproves any “omnipotent” god as claimed in revelation 19:6, nothing more, nothing less. It does not disprove Zeus or Thor or the flying spaghetti monster or Ra or any of the other close on 2500 deities who do not claim omnipotence.
You are missing the big picture…
Sure. Everyday science isn't news because its everyday science.

Groundbreaking, revolutionary science makes the news.

Science disproving God would be world-changing & totally groundbreaking news.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Never said that. I meant the link you provided were of Christian researchers, scientists etc. One of them even went as far as calling Design (and I quote)'laughable'
Nothing wrong with Christian scientists. Nothing wrong with Hindu scientists. Nothing wrong with muslim scientists. Asl long as they keep professional, and their religion out of their work. As soon as they speak of "da flud", or tje talking snake, credibility goes out the window
I get it, and I agree.

In turn, when I see an atheist scientist use "Goddidit", their credibility goes out the window.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
1) If you do take the words as metaphor, analogy, or anything other than what is written on the page, then you are outside the realms of anything related to science. Science does not comment on metaphors and analogies.
2) Second, in what way does it resemble evolution?
3) How long were those days? Because, how long before the sun was created were plants already in existence?
The Hebrew word for day is 'yom'. It has several meanings depending on context.

In the context in Genesis,'yom' means an indeterminate amount of time.

I think Genesis resembles evolution because it demonstrates a gradual growth of all life on earth, unless you read it in a literal form as the Creationists do.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:

But I do know she (yes SHE) is a scholar
RiversideRedneck wrote:

That's great!

Prove it.
ChristineM wrote:
Hey you’ve done this before and fell flat on your face, welcome back around.
I have no need to prove anything, you are the one making the claim, you prove it
Uh.... No. YOU made the claim. "She is a scholar."

Prove it, liar.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
I daresay I know Hiding better than anyone on this forum. However, the quality of her writung and the facts she is able to conjure up, simply cannot be gained by a few hours on google. She claims she is a Ph.D candidate and her writing is a testament to that
A PhD...

That "works in the field"....

That spends countless hours on a little debate thread, arguing with a redneck....

Uh-huh, uh-huh.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Those aren't evidence that a meteor originally seeded life on earth.
Here's the 1st one:
In 2010, Duane P. Snyder announced the discovery of the first and only known Ice Meteorite containing Extraterrestrial Life-forms.
The results, photos and reports where then posted on Snyder’s website snydericyrite.com .
If you read the site, you'll see they can't even test it yet, but they've already made the alien proclamation....
Read it.
http://snydericyrite.com/info.html
That's not the first time someone found fossil like evidence in meteorite, I didn't say it was for sure, but the organic matter that assembles into the building blocks of DNA on impact is confirmed. That my friend is direct evidence of how life started when it did.

The funny thing is the experiment was to find out if
if the organic matter could survive impact without burning up.
Not only does it survive, it combines into the same type building blocks DNA is made from. That was unexpected, and part the explanation why bacteria formed while the Earth was still molten,
we didn't think that was even possible, but found it did.
And now we know why.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? Pointing out historical inaccuracies in the Bible would make news? Nkt really. Science makes no claims about a deity. Science has not refuted your deity. Therefore, no big story
Tell that to Christine.

She claims E=MC2 proves God isn't omnipotent...

THAT would be a HUGE news story.

If it were true.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Never point a gun to anyone you do not want to shoot. Not even a hypothetical one
Tee hee
Lol

Indeed...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"Exactly how and when organic molecules appeared in abundance on the young Earth, leading to the origin of life about 4 billion years ago, has been unclear. But new research suggests that meteor impacts could have created amino acids, the building blocks of life."
"Could have" is not evidence.
I think you see where I'm going with this......

This was before the experiment and the reason for it.
The experiment showed it's more likely than not.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Aura's link:
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/150417-ast...
Did you bother to read it or check it's accuracy?
"These findings aren’t a slam dunk, though. According to our in-house biologist John Hewitt, there’s a strong possibility that the fossils aren’t actually biological in nature — they simply look biological.“This is kind of like finding a Q from Scrabble floating in space; it may be worth 10 points, but finding a few Es first would be a bit more convincing,” Hewitt says. There’s also the fact that the research was published in the Journal of Cosmology, a peer-reviewed journal that has come under critical scrutiny numerous times since it was established in 2009. The journal faced a lot of controversy when it published a paper by NASA engineer Richard Hoover claiming to have found fossils “similar to cyanobacteria” in meteorites.
With that said, the work presented in the Cardiff University research paper does seem to be rather professional."
Debunked.
But you still believe it.
Again this is not the first time fossil like life, has been found in meteorite. While it isn't conclusive, it is awfully suggestive
especially since they were two different types.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 606,181 - 606,200 of719,966
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

561 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min CunningLinguist 224,004
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 6 min WasteWater 3,943
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 9 min WildWeirdWillie 172,204
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min June VanDerMark 532,311
Man To Man Combat 10 min andet1987 1
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 25 min Pegasus 256,362
I'm a girl wanting other girls. 28 min andet1987 24
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 30 min Hate troublemaking arabs 114,944
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 1 hr Thamizhan 4,467
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••