“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#637995 Jul 8, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Hiya, HL!
.. it's always nice to encounter you on my Topix journeys into la-la land ..

.. stay happy ..

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#637996 Jul 8, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Name one bit of speculation involved.
I can :p
160,000 years ago they cooked their meat.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#637997 Jul 8, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hee, hee, hee, hey thanks DF!
He once was able to admit when he's wrong, but perhaps he's learned so much from the atheist poster's here that it presents a different picture than the simplified, incorrect version that religion paints - so now he has to withdraw into denial. I'm not sure why that's easier than "wow, the universe is even bigger than I imagined! Than I could imagine!"
I still admit when I'm wrong, and will always.

I'm not denying anything, I'm being skeptical about it all.

I never said I'm right and you're wrong...

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#637998 Jul 8, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
That doesn't really follow.
They are very tribal, well armed, and will not allow outsiders to just move in. Radical Islam is the only way they would accept them in their midst and give them protection.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#637999 Jul 8, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't actually ask questions - and this is the second you've brought up Adam to my eyes, and actually your biggest claim, that Adam actually existed as a person.
Yeah, Adam's a myth. He's what's known as an "apical ancestor." Lots of religions have them. Totem animals for certain groups, Ra for the Egyptians, the Emperor's family for the Japanese, etc.
You see? There's more speculation.

You don't know that Adam was a myth.

You believe it.

And you promote it as fact.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#638000 Jul 8, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Where? Tell us, where do you see any speculation involved? Yes, some deductive leaps are made, but they all follow logically. Finding a sharpened arrowhead dating back a hu dred thousand years, means that people back then made weapons, and sophisticated ones
"Humans 160,000 years ago were hunter-gatherers" is speculation.

No?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#638001 Jul 8, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
You missed some big points, amigo.
Also, what more do we need to prove the Adam story is a myth? Human beings -advanced, intelligent human beings- have been around a lot longer than written language, where you say Adam had originated.
Question what more do we need to prove?
Because you made the claim.

"Adam is a myth."

Go.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#638002 Jul 8, 2013
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
You assume the Pakistani government has as much control over its country as your government does over yours.
Plus, the Taliban are expert mountaineers and tunnelers, which is why even the U.S. could never exterminate them. They live in the mountains on the edge of Pakistan where hardly any Pakistanis were living anyway, apart from a few small villages which they easily overran.
India and Pakistan have been fighting over Kashmir for ages now. I can assure you, the Hindus give as good as they get.

We are responsible for driving the Taliban into Pakistan who were forced to retreat beyond the borders. I doubt we changed much in Afghanistan, they will just return and the warlords will still have their clashes, and women will still have no rights there.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#638003 Jul 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And how is this speculation?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#638004 Jul 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Trace fossils can prove or disprove that. That is not speculation but based on physical evidence. Waste is an inevitable by product of life.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#638005 Jul 8, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Woops, now everyone's attacking you. I'll give you a hug and a sammich.
There is speculation in archaeology - two kinds. The first kind is based on evidence and can be tested. Hypothesis testing, that's how science is supposed to produce knowledge.
So you find your arrowhead, measure it, produce a description of its location, materials, shape, etc. Then you make a testable prediction, show that you're right or wrong.
The second kind isn't usually done by archaeologists, but lay people. Mind you, some arky's are guilty of it, too. That's when the person says "ah, we have this figurine. It clearly represents X." without any ability to say that.
There are some things we can say, like "if their religious imagery including hunting, this group was heavily reliant on these particular animals." But there are some things we cannot say like "this sculpture of a large woman clearly indicates a goddess worshiping peoples."
Your mistake here is that you're claiming that all archaeological knowledge is speculation, purely b/c you don't understand how arky produces knowledge, what tools it uses, etc. If you knew more about the discipline, then you could critique it specifically. You might be able to say "this dig was not carried out well, so the dates might be off." Or "arrowheads like these are also found at location Y, so concluding that people Q had a relationship with people R can't be concluded here."
As it stands you are simply saying "Adam existed b/c this book tells me that. The book doesn't actually provide evidence for its claim, but that's ok, since I'll accept it while claiming that evidence based reasoning is mere speculation."
I understand archeology a lot more than I understand biology. That ain't sayin much, but hey...

I never said or implied that all archaeological knowledge is speculation. I wouldn't say that because I don't agree with that.

I see some of it as "Hey look, we found this skull, this arrowhead and that old shoe so we can deduce from that this person's entire existence, tribe, way of life, the food he are and how he cooked it."

O_o

Maybe I don't understand, but a lot of that sure seems like speculation to me.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#638006 Jul 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I still admit when I'm wrong, and will always.
I'm not denying anything, I'm being skeptical about it all.
I never said I'm right and you're wrong...
Here. Teach me how to be skeptical of this:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v423/n69...

"Clarifying the geographic, environmental and behavioural contexts in which the emergence of anatomically modern Homo sapiens occurred has proved difficult, particularly because Africa lacked adequate geochronological, palaeontological and archaeological evidence. The discovery of anatomically modern Homo sapiens fossils at Herto, Ethiopia1, changes this. Here we report on stratigraphically associated Late Middle Pleistocene artefacts and fossils from fluvial and lake margin sandstones of the Upper Herto Member of the Bouri Formation, Middle Awash, Afar Rift, Ethiopia. The fossils and artefacts are dated between 160,000 and 154,000 years ago by precise age determinations using the 40Ar/39Ar method. The archaeological assemblages contain elements of both Acheulean and Middle Stone Age technocomplexes. Associated faunal remains indicate repeated, systematic butchery of hippopotamus carcasses. Contemporary adult and juvenile Homo sapiens fossil crania manifest bone modifications indicative of deliberate mortuary practices."

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#638007 Jul 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
They are very tribal, well armed, and will not allow outsiders to just move in. Radical Islam is the only way they would accept them in their midst and give them protection.
If you have lived among them, and know them well, I will accept your declarations of their character.

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

#638008 Jul 8, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL...Wow! Really you think that if we had known the Taliban was going to move into Pakistan they would have ever made it there? I can tell you with 100% certainty, that had we known their plans to flee into the caves of Pakistan...we would have stopped them. I find it amazing that you place that blame on us. And even more appalling that you seem to think since they are killing Pakistani Shias and Sunis, it is our fault. They are terrorist...what don't you comprehend about that? They terrorized America and they are terrorizing Pakistan and multiple other nations. Your post suggests we purposely drove them into Pakistan. Don't you find it the least bit curious that they knew about the caves in Pakistan? Has it not occurred to you at all that perhaps there already Taliban terrorists in Pakistan preparing them a hide out? For Pete's sake...are you that brainwashed that you can't see the obvious?
Yes, God help us all if they get their hands on the nuclear weapons...You should be thankful that we are trying with every dime, person, and bit of knowledge we have to try and prevent that. Instead you blame us instead of the real culprit...the Taliban. Shame on you for biting your nose off to spite your own face!
If your army did not launch that invasion, the situation would've been contained in Afghanistan. You could've picked them off covertly. But no, all guns blazing, the whole shibang. Surely you guys should've known how these people operate, what their strengths are. You gave them their chance and now they moved into mountain strongholds and tunnels that airstrikes wouldn't penetrate. It's the same old thing, like the Soviets.

Admit it, your army underestimated them. And not only that, their sloppy airstrikes have only increased anti-US sentiment and added to the Taliban's ranks. Every time you kill a civilian, one of their relatives is gonna join the terrorists.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#638009 Jul 8, 2013
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
You assume the Pakistani government has as much control over its country as your government does over yours.
Plus, the Taliban are expert mountaineers and tunnelers, which is why even the U.S. could never exterminate them. They live in the mountains on the edge of Pakistan where hardly any Pakistanis were living anyway, apart from a few small villages which they easily overran.
India and Pakistan have been fighting over Kashmir for ages now. I can assure you, the Hindus give as good as they get.
The Taliban are Pashtuns. So is a lot of Pakistan.

Pashtuns will not let anyone they disagree with occupy their territory.

As I posted before, Mullah Omar and the Taliban's mistake was not turning over a non-tribal radical Islamist that had engineered the killing of 3000 innocent people thousands of miles away.

You are trying to excuse bad behavior.

The whole crew of those radicals can be pacified in fairly short order if the political will is exerted. If an IED is exploded, the nearest village or block in a city has 2 hours to evacuate if they don't turn the perps over within that time. Then it gets flattened suddenly. They will be free to stay there afterwards. They will soon start policing themselves.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#638010 Jul 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You see? There's more speculation.
You don't know that Adam was a myth.
You believe it.
And you promote it as fact.
Yes, I do. I believe Adam is a mythological figure of the Abrahamic religions, just like I believe Ra is a mythological figure of the Egyptian religion(s).

Given that both the Egyptian religion and Abrahamic religions produce precisely the same evidence to support that their apical ancestors actually existed, how is it that you are able to differentiate between them, and choose one to believe as fact?

Here's another one: the Japanese royal family yet lives. They're descended from Heaven, and are the direct ancestors of gods in Shinto. Since they are actually alive, and Adam is not, how can you tell that Adam existed? I mean...we know the Japanese emperor's family exists. So isn't the Shinto claim better?

Please keep in mind, I don't believe in any of these mythologies, but I see no reason to favor one over the other, given the equal paucity of evidence and the equal fervor of belief in the believers.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#638011 Jul 8, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you misunderstand my question. I say YOU find an arrowhead. You carbon date it, only to find that bo carbon is present, meaning the artifact is older than 60,000 years. Now you use noter dating technique (truth be told, I dont know what they test the 100k year range with. I know with dinosaurs they use Strontium or Uraniu-Lead, but that is a lot further back) and find it roughly 120,000 years old.
So you have that. A sharpened arrowhead. A date of 120k years. What conclusions do you draw?
That it's a manmade object appr 120K years old.

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

#638012 Jul 8, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah. Mokele Mobembe. Have been investigated by some peer reviewed researchers, and nothing was found.
These people are liars. Try Kent Hovind! His claims are very fantastic. He claims 40 ft humans, etc.
Mysteriously... No peer reviewed evidence
I think that video is Kent Hovind.

He talks about stones and artwork showing dinosaurs, and a sauropod mentioned in the Bible, and carbon dating inaccuracies. Oh and of course, the rock layer thing.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#638013 Jul 8, 2013
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously? You going to ask that? After you've called Muslims the founders of women oppression, fascism and all kinds of other absurdities?
That's not judging, that's just talking shit.

Since Islam is a stolen, plagiarized and bastardized version of Christianity, I know that most of that stuff you stole from us.

Well, not 'you'. Muhammad did.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#638014 Jul 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand archeology a lot more than I understand biology. That ain't sayin much, but hey...
I never said or implied that all archaeological knowledge is speculation. I wouldn't say that because I don't agree with that.
Ok, cool, sorry :)
I see some of it as "Hey look, we found this skull, this arrowhead and that old shoe so we can deduce from that this person's entire existence, tribe, way of life, the food he are and how he cooked it."
No archaeologist ever made a claim like that - without getting laughed at by other arkys.

No one would claim we can determine someone's entire existence.
O_o
Maybe I don't understand, but a lot of that sure seems like speculation to me.
Probably 'cause you're getting claims by non-scientists treated as if they were science. Possibly b/c you're finding bad science - there have been lots of poor claims in science, usually by scientists acting outside their field. For ex., Dawkins does this when he speaks about human evolution; Hitchens - though not a scientist - got most of his info on early humans wrong; Diamond oversimplifies and ignores evidence, etc.

So I suppose it's hard knowing when and how to be skeptical with regards to the claims that scientists make. The shorthand I use is that if they're speaking outside of their field, take it to the microscope!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 min eyeful 559,550
Moses never existed 2 min Khatru 756
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 min eyeful 175,660
® ELECTROLÜX ( 2O2 8O OI ) ELECTROLUX ® Sariye... 5 min electrofersen 1
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 22 min eyeful 605,034
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 24 min Dr_Zorderz 265,160
Electrolux Uskumruköy gümüsdere 2O2 8O OI Servi... 26 min electrofersen 1
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Anti-Christ 441,777
More from around the web