Try to be civil Chachi.
He's just trying to "dazzle" you...

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#638158 Jul 8, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Which dating method is it they use to determine a fossil to be 65 million years old?
Why?

Are you going to bring up some arcane creationist paper to try and refute it?

Evolution is true.....

#638159 Jul 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not a scientist, are you?
Prove me wrong RR.

Much of the Christian Bible has been falsified, not just Adam and Eve.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#638160 Jul 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you're not a believer in any religion.
But how do you, as a scientist, make a claim without any supporting evidence?
You mean, the claim that Adam is fictional?

The evidence that Adam is fictional comes from:

1. The creation stories of the old testament do not gel with our contemporary understanding of life on this planet

1a. i.e., they're myths

2. religious explanations for phenomena do not hold up under scrutiny. Our society has utterly given up on any and all religious explanations for the nature of life, the universe, etc, in its scientific descriptions.

3. The Adam and Eve story is similar to other religious myths and belongs to a class of fables called "apical ancestor stories." Like Ra the sun god, totem ancestors, the Old Man, etc., these are ancient people's scientifically ignorant ways of making sense of the world around them.

3a. These stories serve specific social purposes. They exist to create in-group/out-group social bonding. They help the religious understand their place in the world by creating artificial bonds between non-kin people, metaphorical ways of communicating and shared ways of understanding experience.

4. Not a single shred of evidence exists for the Adam story. Not a tiny piece. Hence you're unable to back up your claims of your religion's apical ancestors, other than through your particular mythology. So what? Lots of religions have creation myths and lots of them have apical ancestors.

5. That your mythology does not distinguish itself in any way, that you are incapable of supporting it beyond any other religion, reveals the weak foundation of its mythological explanation for reality (hence, you don't have Christian chemistry, or Christian physics - or, for that matter, Buddhist biology; my critique here is not of Christianity, but of any religious person who "knows" they have the one, true religion and that it, above all else and without any supporting evidence, is explanatory).

6. Science sharply contrasts here, with its powerful explanations of reality and its very real efficacy. The same theory that describes evolution explains why you have genes, why your links to the past affect your current life outcome (cancer and whatnot), provides us with the tools of manipulating biology, and so on. The same physics that describes the orbits of the planets runs our daily GPS devices. Religion has nothing, nothing at all approaching this level of efficacy.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#638161 Jul 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
God has been proven to me.
But not to you.
Go figure.
You have not proven it to anyone, proof would be verifiable evidence.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#638162 Jul 8, 2013
LineDazzle wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember Largelanguage?
That I do amigo. I'm just saying that we all should try to stay civil. I know that there have been times when i just wanted to rip someone's throat with my bare hands and piss down their necks, but
not much would happen except a waste of piss.

Evolution is true.....

#638163 Jul 8, 2013
undercontrolgh wrote:
Yea my friend i know each atheist helps himself and they each have a different opinion yet they agree on only one thing. That is if they were away for 2 years and received a call from their wife saying ohh honey i am pregnant and he ask oh really how. She will reply saying that it was by chance. Unfortunately for him, he believes it because i mean this whole universe came by chance, so this is a peace of cake. Sensible. Very smart. Or maybe she delivered through the net...who knows but the atheist
<quoted text>
Your little homily has nothing to do with real life
LineDazzle

Hawarden, UK

#638164 Jul 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
He's just trying to "dazzle" you...
Why are you paranoid that I am trying to "dazzle" him? Is it because I have "dazzled" you? Are you GAY?

It's obvious you are, effeminate!
LineDazzle

Hawarden, UK

#638165 Jul 8, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove me wrong RR.
Much of the Christian Bible has been falsified, not just Adam and Eve.
What things about women attract you?

I need to question you, for the time being, about this matter.

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#638166 Jul 8, 2013
http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/08/real_estate/c...

This is why no one wants America to fail, except for the homegrown idiot liberal progressives who pander to anyone for votes, including illegal aliens.

Too much money invested in it.

A sick and getting sicker society being gentrified by foreigners.

Will be interesting to see what happens in 20 years.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#638167 Jul 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You want to get under the sheets with Catcher?
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
nooooo.... I was actually responding to nano and...... oooops.....
did I say that outloud.....????

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#638168 Jul 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not a scientist, are you?
He thinks more scientifically than you could ever muster. Your mythical Adam and Eve never existed. The first modern human male and female were thousands of years apart, and the female was first.
LineDazzle

Hawarden, UK

#638169 Jul 8, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean, the claim that Adam is fictional?
The evidence that Adam is fictional comes from:
1. The creation stories of the old testament do not gel with our contemporary understanding of life on this planet
1a. i.e., they're myths
2. religious explanations for phenomena do not hold up under scrutiny. Our society has utterly given up on any and all religious explanations for the nature of life, the universe, etc, in its scientific descriptions.
3. The Adam and Eve story is similar to other religious myths and belongs to a class of fables called "apical ancestor stories." Like Ra the sun god, totem ancestors, the Old Man, etc., these are ancient people's scientifically ignorant ways of making sense of the world around them.
3a. These stories serve specific social purposes. They exist to create in-group/out-group social bonding. They help the religious understand their place in the world by creating artificial bonds between non-kin people, metaphorical ways of communicating and shared ways of understanding experience.
4. Not a single shred of evidence exists for the Adam story. Not a tiny piece. Hence you're unable to back up your claims of your religion's apical ancestors, other than through your particular mythology. So what? Lots of religions have creation myths and lots of them have apical ancestors.
5. That your mythology does not distinguish itself in any way, that you are incapable of supporting it beyond any other religion, reveals the weak foundation of its mythological explanation for reality (hence, you don't have Christian chemistry, or Christian physics - or, for that matter, Buddhist biology; my critique here is not of Christianity, but of any religious person who "knows" they have the one, true religion and that it, above all else and without any supporting evidence, is explanatory).
6. Science sharply contrasts here, with its powerful explanations of reality and its very real efficacy. The same theory that describes evolution explains why you have genes, why your links to the past affect your current life outcome (cancer and whatnot), provides us with the tools of manipulating biology, and so on. The same physics that describes the orbits of the planets runs our daily GPS devices. Religion has nothing, nothing at all approaching this level of efficacy.
Hidingfromyou is only a 16 year old girl, trying to convince herself that she is a man!

She is a butch lesbian freak!

Evolution is true.....

#638170 Jul 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/hitchless...
He was just another hack with a schtick.
Watch some of the video's that were taken of him.

No, you're the hack, Hitchens was a very astute author and debater.
LineDazzle

Hawarden, UK

#638171 Jul 8, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
That I do amigo. I'm just saying that we all should try to stay civil. I know that there have been times when i just wanted to rip someone's throat with my bare hands and piss down their necks, but
not much would happen except a waste of piss.
But you shouldn't give respect to the inhuman. People who are butch/effeminate/gay/lesbian/b isexual/sociopaths/(maybe narcissists) are perversions of nature and humanity, and are evil people.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#638172 Jul 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're mistaken. Some do.
Neanderthals were cave dwellers, although they occasionally built camps out in the open. They wore clothing, used fire, hunted small and medium-sized animals (like goats and small deer), and they scavenged from the kills of large carnivores. They made and used a variety of stone tools and wooden spears. Neanderthals intentionally buried their dead, both individually and in groups, and they also cared for sick or injured individuals. Evidence of ritualistic treatment of animals, which is sometimes found with their skeletons, may indicate that they practiced a primitive form of religion. Evidence from a few sites indicate that Neanderthals coexisted for several thousand years with Modern Humans; who arrived in Europe at about 45,000 B.C, and Cro-Magnons, who arrived in Europe by 35,000 B.C.
http://realhistoryww.com/world_history/ancien...
First, that site isn't directly from scientists. Second, it's largely accurate. I would go further - we can say a lot more about their lives than you have described in that one paragraph. That's just the tip.

Third, you're being entirely dishonest here. This is your previous claim:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I never said or implied that all archaeological knowledge is speculation. I wouldn't say that because I don't agree with that.
I see some of it as "Hey look, we found this skull, this arrowhead and that old shoe so we can deduce from that this person's entire existence, tribe, way of life, the food he are and how he cooked it."
O_o
Maybe I don't understand, but a lot of that sure seems like speculation to me.
Notice you have included the words "entire existence" and then I respond with "no arky would ever make that claim" - the claim being that we can describe their "entire existence."

Yes, we can absolutely know, with certainty, part of the neanderthal diet, how they hunting, where they got their material goods from, how they made them, how large their groups were, what their population size was, a fair chunk of both their mtDNA and nuclear DNA, seasonal habits, clothing, lifespan, gestation period, many religious ceremonies (including the ones named above - burying their dead, putting flowers on their dead) and so on.

We'll never know how they experienced, or if they enjoyed sunsets or played word games, etc. But the other stuff - how they carried out feeding themselves? That's easy.

And, yes, we absolutely know with certainty that they treated their injured. Do we subsequently "know" they therefore emotionally cared for their injured? No. But it's hard to imagine a group of social animals, somewhat similar to us, feeding the aged and infirm out of a lack of kindness.

The thing is, RR, you quite clearly don't know the first thing about how archaeology works, so your critique here is meaningless. It would be one thing if you actually knew where to critique - and, don't get me wrong, there are good critiques for some archaeology (I'm currently writing one myself). But it's like the plumber came to your house, found the problem, and you said "no, that's not it, because my walls are fine." The thing is, you're not even talking about the pipes.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#638173 Jul 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
True dat. Who to trust? Who to listen to? Who are we supposed to believe? One so-called scientist says this while another so-called scientist says that and since I am not even a scientist that would be called "so-called", who am I to believe? You? Them?
I am the pinnacle of all that is honest and good in our society. You can trust me in all things.
LineDazzle

Hawarden, UK

#638174 Jul 8, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
He thinks more scientifically than you could ever muster. Your mythical Adam and Eve never existed. The first modern human male and female were thousands of years apart, and the female was first.
You are a sexless being. Not just by the fact that you are asexual, but overall. You are unfeminine, disgusting, butch, and masculinity-hating.

You are unable to admire a mans masculinity, even if you had a sex drive, nor are you able to feel proud about your femininity. You are a freak.

Evolution is true.....

#638175 Jul 8, 2013
LineDazzle wrote:
<quoted text>
Hidingfromyou is only a 16 year old girl, trying to convince herself that she is a man!
She is a butch lesbian freak!
So far everything you have posted on this thread is misogynistic trash.

You seem to have a fetish with lesbians, butch lesbians and girly men....are you secretly gay yourself??

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#638176 Jul 8, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
RR has no reasoning.
He's just skeptical of science.
It lacks the certainty of religious truth.
Huh. That's a good point.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What do u think of Jesus Christ?(God) (Oct '06) 1 min HipGnosis 69,912
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min confrinting with ... 579,514
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 min Seentheotherside 610,005
News Former NH gov.: Obama is 'inciting' birthers wi... 16 min cXc 1
sexy 30 min sexygirl 1
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 39 min RiccardoFire 2,062
R u 40 min sexygirl 1
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr MUQ2 270,218
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 39,988
More from around the web