Prove there's a god.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#638217 Jul 8, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It would alter my belief system substantially. Given that I'm an atheist, I'd say that evidence that Adam and Eve existed - say we found Eden - would threaten my belief system, absolutely. But so what? I'd have to change. If my beliefs are incompatible with the universe, then I am no longer capable of producing accurate science - I'd have to search for different answers.
At the point where a creator-deity was discovered, I'd have to dramatically realign my non-created view of the universe and biology to a created one. Currently, that doesn't make any sense whatsoever, so the reality of that would suggest the Creator is deceptive and enjoys scientists doing the wrong thing. Or that the Creator is not all-powerful and a trickster/liar deity co-exists with It.
That's sort of like me asking you "So, if the Mayan gods turned out to exist, and your deity was some kind of devil or something, would that change your belief system?"
The answer can only be "yes" followed by "uh, that would be awkward."
I totally appreciate your honesty. I think you're the first (or at least one of few) atheists here that will admit to having beliefs.

You have RR's respect.

You want lettuce on that sammich?

Since: Sep 08

Ordway, CO

#638218 Jul 8, 2013
Myth Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
A theist has been brainwashed to mindlessly adhere to a dogma based indoctrination system.
An anti-theist is opposed to all dogma based indoctrination systems.
Anti-theism is the ONLY rational and humane position to hold in regards to religious brainwashing.
That's what they told you, huh?
Gary

Buffalo, NY

#638219 Jul 8, 2013
Hi who:

Yes, the world is based on literal evidence. However, this is where the HUGE difference is, the word of God and the Bible is based on a spiritual book this is why one must be born spiritually to truly understand the word of God. I understand it is impossible to figure this out in our own intellect this is why God must step in to give one spiritual life and that can only happen if God saves one by His word and His Spirit. A good place to start is by reading the word. Thank you. Gary
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
That's sort of how evidence based understandings work.
<quoted text>
Oh. So he's fictional then? With a bunch of caveats from the religious to mask that? I see, thanks.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#638220 Jul 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Woah there. The basis of the story of Adam & Eve is that God created life.
All the evidence of our contemporary science tells us that life cannot create itself.
First, false. Contemporary science strongly suggests life comes from non-life. All our scientists work in the absence of any divine being. Not a single scientific theory incorporates deities, strongly suggesting that no deities are needed - and they predict that life comes from non-life.

Second, the Genesis story in the Bible is entirely wrong. It has all kinds of inaccuracies about the order in which species arose and claims that bats are birds, etc. If you're resting your belief in Adam and Eve on Genesis...
Myth Buster

Prescott, AZ

#638221 Jul 8, 2013
Gary wrote:
God is real and some day we will all find out.
No, he's not! In all probability, you'll never accept this irrefutable fact before you die and simply waste your entire pathetic life as a willing slave to ignorance, intolerance and violence inciting Dark Ages dogma.

http://articles.exchristian.net/2002/10/becom...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#638222 Jul 8, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:

No. That's not what I said. Your religious mind sure warps my writing.
Maybe it's the ice cold...

...water.
Hitchens is not a scientist. He is not peer reviewed. I wrote this. Apparently you missed it. I'm working with shorter sentences. And only one subject per sentence. Perhaps that will help your comprehension.
I said Hitchens was a scholar, not a scientist.
I wrote that scientists make mistakes. Outside their discipline. I never wrote they couldn't be trusted. That's you adding words to me. Please don't do that.
Yes, you did. You said that when Dawkins is talking evolution he's out of his realm and shouldn't be trusted as a good source for that.
Trust the consensus of scientists within a single discipline. Or don't, if you have enough training or understanding. Oops, I broke the simple sentence rule.
O_o

Trust them.

Or don't.

WTF?!?
Importantly, don't make stupid proclamations when you entirely lack knowledge.
Aw, yer too kind.

“I speak my mind”

Since: Sep 10

It hurts to bite my tongue

#638223 Jul 8, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
Are you going to bring up some arcane creationist paper to try and refute it?
No, I just have my doubts about the dating the methods...a lot of assumptions must be made when dating that far back...But if I did bring up some creationists research that made valid points...would you be against arguing it? Or would that be to much to ask?
Rush

Nebraska City, NE

#638224 Jul 8, 2013
LineDazzle wrote:
<quoted text>
PROVE I AM GAY!
BTW YOU ARE VERY EFFEMINATE RUSH! YOU ARE A PLAIN MAN!
Your name says it all! Everyone thinks you are gay, and I do to now. Nothing wrong with that, just be yourself.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#638225 Jul 8, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool.
Get it?
No, not yet. It's shipped but they gave me like a 2 week window. It should be this week or next.
Myth Buster

Prescott, AZ

#638226 Jul 8, 2013
Bullshit signed in wrote:
Shew...that's a lot of assumptions...
100% wrong!

http://www.huecotanks.com/debunk/radiodte.htm

"None of the creationists has ever explained why, if all of the radio-dating methods are so unreliable, hundreds of different samples tested by hundreds of different laboratories all over the world, using a variety of different radio-dating methods, have all agreed on the same date for the age of the earth--approximately 4.5 billion years."
Rush

Nebraska City, NE

#638227 Jul 8, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Woohooo! I was so very worried you'd think I was 14!
ROTFLMAO! Good one!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#638228 Jul 8, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll assume you're joking.
Yessir.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#638229 Jul 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You've convinced yourself, I see.
But if you were speaking the truth, your supposed facts would be all over the mainstream media and scientific and religious networks.
Instead, it's only discussed here.
Imagine that.
It has been all over the web and science mags and journals for years my friend. Because it is old news (relatively), you don't much see bold headlines about it anymore.

From time to time there are articles that don't seem to relate,but if you follow the line of thought caused by the article you can.
see its relation to what we argue about here.

For instance, back in 2010 a scientist in Germany, Svante Paabo by name, was sequencing human and Neanderthal DNA to try and determine if humans and Neanderthals mated, way back in time. Well he did find out and it was in all the science mags and journals. It was even reported on the Network evening news, but not much there, because they don't want to upset the Christians in the audience.

All the scientifically oriented people understood what this meant.

What it meant is humans were related to another Homo species because we Could mate and produce viable, fertile offspring with them. It established a link to our (neanderthal and human) common ancestor WAY back in time. We both shared genes with perhaps Homo-heidelbergensis, or Homo-ergaster, Homo-habilis, etc.. We undoubtedly could mate and produce fertile children with them too.

And of course the big thing is....We ARE descended from the great ape line, we were NOT zapped into existence 6,000+- years ago by an insane and evil god (read the book).

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#638230 Jul 8, 2013
Gary wrote:
Hi who:
Yes, the world is based on literal evidence. However, this is where the HUGE difference is, the word of God and the Bible is based on a spiritual book this is why one must be born spiritually to truly understand the word of God. I understand it is impossible to figure this out in our own intellect this is why God must step in to give one spiritual life and that can only happen if God saves one by His word and His Spirit. A good place to start is by reading the word. Thank you. Gary
<quoted text>
Sorry guy, but you're crazy.

There are no spirits, demons, ghosts, angels, Satan, etc.

You are probably delusional.
Gary

Buffalo, NY

#638231 Jul 8, 2013
Dear all:

I would just like to add the believer finds his greatest pleasure and joy is the joy of obedience it far, far, outweighs the deceitfulness of sin for a season. Now I cannot prove this to one it really takes the work of God that anyone truly can believe, John 6:29. I know this must sound very strange to many here but you don't know what your missing out on until your there then you will say, why did you not tell me this before! I am, read the word this can set the captives free if it be God's will He alone is in complete control no matter what some may think, believe the word time will tell. Think about it maybe on these terms. If I am wrong what do I lose? If your wrong what do you lose? Something to think about. Thank you. Gary
Gary wrote:
Hi who:
<quoted text>

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#638232 Jul 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What is this strange word, "read"?
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.

Some stable somewhere

#638233 Jul 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
And by "our society", you mean atheist society.
Don't be silly. There are no religious disciplines of science. There is no Christian phamaceutical company designing drugs based on the "wisdom" of the Bible. No Christian geology, no Buddhist chemistry, etc.
That IS the going atheist fad, but there's no evidence behind it.
Like every believer of every religion, you're incapable of logically analyzing yours and comparing it to all like ones.

Your next quote reveals that perfectly:
That is your understanding of it, yes.
My understanding of it is that it gives us the basics to knowing and understanding God.
See? Case in point.
Not a single shred of evidence refutes the Adam story, either. Not a tiny piece.
hahaha! So you have exactly the same evidence for Adam as Zeus or Ra? And your only defense is "yeah, but we can't disprove it?"

Sorry, we can dismiss it for exactly that reason, for the ones I've mentioned, because it is mythology.
Sure, you can sew & weave different theories together to make it seem as such, but it's still just assertions, claims, conjecture, opinion and speculation.
Nope. If you're going to make the extraordinary claim that the origin of humanity lies in your religion's version of the world, despite humans pre-date your religion, despite that other religions have equally valid explanations, despite that our science doesn't support your assertions, you have to produce extraordinary evidence to back up your ridiculous claims.
But I have supported it in several ways.
Nope. Your entire line of reasoning is "you can't disprove my religion!" Yes, just like we can't disprove invisible spider men make time pass.
Aubrey you're just too brainwashed to see things in any other way than you've been taught to.
Projection. How do we know you are projecting? Well, my understanding of the world is explanatory and produces efficacious results.

Uhm...the Genesis story didn't do anything for any science, hasn't produced any new invention or knowledge. It's worthless as an explanatory tool.
Religion never tried to, that's why.
It did, for thousands of years, suggesting such ridiculous ideas as bloodletting and the burning of witches.
Science has brought is no closer to God, even though many theistic scientists try and try and try, they continuously fail.
Science is absolutely not about bringing "you" closer to God. Your deity is one of many fictions the world's religions have. Science is about understanding the world around us.

You are arrogantly making it about your religion because you are a believer of that religion.
Science is the key to understanding the natural world, religion is the key to understanding the supernatural world.
Then we should judge which religion to choose based on the efficacy of the different religions and our "supernatural experiences and health."

The thing is, you're just grasping at straws - try defining supernatural, then explain how your religion is better than any other at "accessing it."

Some stable somewhere

#638234 Jul 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
O_o
Double Fine & Hiding say there's no such thing as a "first".
But you say there was.
Who to believe........
*shrugs*
Y'all can work it out.
Me.

“I never claimed to be Perfect”

Since: Nov 10

just better than yesterday

#638235 Jul 8, 2013
LineDazzle wrote:
<quoted text>
But you shouldn't give respect to the inhuman. People who are butch/effeminate/gay/lesbian/b isexual/sociopaths/(maybe narcissists) are perversions of nature and humanity, and are evil people.
No. I would have to strongly disagree with you there. I would much rather give respect to the "butch, effimate,/gay/lesbian/bisexual "
THAN to people that are hateful, unloving and uncaring.
That to me is the greater evil.
LineDazzle

Wrexham, UK

#638236 Jul 8, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Woohooo! I was so very worried you'd think I was 14!
Why would you be so worried, unless you are indeed 14? I'm sure that comment of yours was more than sarcasm.

You must be just 14! Rofl! What a spring chicken! Pathetic! You are so insignificant!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 24 min Brian_G 646,378
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 25 min Brian_G 15
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 30 min Annaleigh 105,564
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 32 min USA-1 38,746
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 41 min Insults Are Easier 48,226
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 48 min Brian_G 445,695
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr MUQ2 44,642
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr spinosaurus baryonyx 618,559
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr bad bob 182,627
More from around the web