Comments
605,101 - 605,120 of 734,047 Comments Last updated 7 min ago

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

#637483 Jul 7, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I think what you are saying is the way it should be, but I wonder how many people do listen to people, like Khomeini, when he was alive and considered the top dog in Islam, at least in Iran? What about Salman Rushdie, who had a Fatwa declared on him by Khomeini, when Rushdie published his book, The Satanic Verses? Rushdie was forced to live under police protection for years after that book came out. Why should an author, irregardless of what he writes in a book, have to fear for his life, because some powerful idiot in a country that houses a lot of idiots, have to fear for his life, when he lives in a free country.....
The way Khomeini and others reacted to Salman Rushdie was just idiotic. With all their silly threats and fatwas, they actually made that guy more famous.

Regarding the cartoons, the issue is a lot more deeper than westerners perceive. Islam is a religion without images. Muslims are not allowed to draw pictures of Muhammed or his disciples or anyone prominent from that time. Even if they draw a beautiful drawing, it's still not allowed. If westerners begin to exert their free speech and shove loads of cartoons in our faces, our children will develop a completely baseless and erroneous image of Muhammed in their minds. Ultimately they may end up putting images in their homes and worshipping them, just as how Hindus and some Christians do with their European-looking Jesus. Perhaps if photography existed back then, things may have been different, but it didn't.

So to Muslims, westerners are not just poking fun or criticising or ridiculing, they are attacking or trying to corrupt the very fabric of the faith. In any case, the way some of them reacted was really stupid. But that was just the reaction of 0.007% of Muslims. The rest just went on with their lives, resorted to courts or just let the whole thing blow over.

I find it weird and disturbing that you believe so so strongly in free speech. One should always be free to speak the truth. But as for speaking lies and hate speech, that is unacceptable and could lead to genocide. If you think you have free speech, go to an airport and shout "Bomb!", then you'll see how free you really are.

A few years back our country suffered xenophobic attacks, because someone exert his free speech to spread hatred. This thing about this Canadian professor may seem stupid now, but back in colonial times, it became widespread justification of racism and enslavement of blacks. And we all know what Hitler's Mein Kampf did to the Jews. In Uganda, a pastor has been exerting his freedom to convince the villagers that homosexuals are paedophiles and lick each others anuses and eat each others crap. Homosexuals now suffer complete rejection in society, having to live on the outskirts in shacks.

These Muhammed cartoons incite prejudice in the west against Muslims.

In such cases it is best to arrest the inciter and lock him up, than let the situation spiral out of control in the name of free speech. Free speech is rubbish when society is irresponsible and uneducated.
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

#637484 Jul 7, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I watched a documentary about the island wars, the Japanese stormed machinegun nests, and died by the thousands. They said they couldn't believe they would just keep attacking, and they stacked them up like cords of wood. He then said we couldn't think like they were human , if we had we would have gone insane.
I think this is why they dropped the bomb, a ground invasion would have failed. Or taken years and killed millions. They were scared of that kind of bravery.
Foolish but brave, it's kinda sad really.
BTW hello hiding we missed you.
Raising up the needy from the earth, and lifting
up the poor out of the dunghill; that he may p l a c e
them with princes, with the princes of His people.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#637485 Jul 7, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Again?
Yes, of course. We have to, err... Discuss... This issue a great many times

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#637486 Jul 7, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Boots the King of Saudi Arabia was in the US when it happened.
He received presidential protection to return to his own country.
Still, the hijackers were Saudi.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#637487 Jul 7, 2013
Greens - tuf wrote:
<quoted text>
"massively out of your class"
And how would that be ?
Come on , put me in my place.
It is obvious that you think that I am in a lower class than you, so come on, what class have you put me in?
I'm going to guess Math of Science, although, your punctuation is questionable.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#637488 Jul 7, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you gone loopy?
I know.... it must be that young buck in the rut syndrome.
heheheh
Lol must be.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#637489 Jul 7, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly. But out of generosity, let's give 1%. So my question is to atheists and agnostics:

If the human race can only claim 1% knowledge out of the total of 100% that has existed in human history, then that means there is 99% we don't know.

If we don't know 99%, is it possible that God exists within that 99% of total knowledge?
Maybe .00000000001%.

Being generous.
Greens - tuf

Australia

#637490 Jul 7, 2013
saidI wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you answer the guy?
I know there is light, I was being silly.
I am aware light is incredible, in ways most of us will never fathom. My light doesn't come from God, it comes from the joy that we "appear", to be here!
OK, so why mock somebody over a good question?
You said it yourself " light is incredible".
That statement in itself tells me that you don't understand light.
You just simply do not understand, so unless you have something better than "I am aware light is incredible" than you should probably just stay out of it.

As for you're "light" being the "the joy that we "appear", to
be here!" .... well actually it's called electromagnetic.

Don't feel bad, it's OK, because as you said "most of us will never fathom "

“Listen to the sounds”

#637491 Jul 7, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Even supposing you had figured out yourself, that humans had discovered that the universe and your own self had a certain 'order' to them, if the Jews, and then the Christians, and finally the Muslims had not created the God we talk about today, would you personally have found this same God, just because man, through his many inventions in human history, had discovered certain consistencies in his surroundings that indicate order? I think using the idea of an Intelligent Being to prove God is kind of putting the cart before the horse. In fact, man created God long before man discovered any laws about things, and has more recently started to use these man-discovered (but not created) laws as "proof" that the God of Abraham actually exists.
People were not making those connections thousands of years ago, other than everything that they didn't understand, because most of what we know today was not even dreamed of thousands of years ago, was attributed to some magical being, which differed with the various societies.
Personally, I think that the order you speak of proves that there is an order to things, and that is all it proves. It says nothing about how that happened to occur that way. On the other hand, it would seem unlikely that we would be able to identify anything (because all things would be constantly changing) if there was no order to things.
Would it not be so much simpler if rather than trying to prove the existence of a God, almost by elimination (if man didn't do it, then God must have, kind of thing), that we had some direct evidence of the existence of this God? We don't, though. Not one single piece of information that would indicate the existence of a God has ever been verified to be true - not one tiny thing.
We have very questionable writings of people long dead, and that is all, and not a single word of those writings can be verified to prove the existence of God.
The only proofs, that man has ever actually found, were proofs that some of the things talked about in those writings did not actually ever occur.
There is no need for any particle or any photon to follow any order. Order is evidence of intelligence. If you do not believe in a Creator, then by default, you believe that order conveniently exists.

And there is no evidence that man invented the idea of God. There is no evidence of there ever being a time when man did not have some belief or knowledge about God. There is evidence of recurring changes between monotheism and polytheism, but atheism is a new thing. There is not evidence to back the claim that man invented God. If the goddunit attitude was really prevalent, we would not have progressed as a civilisation.

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

#637492 Jul 7, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, of course. We have to, err... Discuss... This issue a great many times
Should I bring the horse crop this time?

“Listen to the sounds”

#637493 Jul 7, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Contrary to what you apparently understand, the Gulf War was a war waged by a U.N.-authorized coalition force from 34 nations that was led by the United States, against Iraq in response to Iraq's invasion and annexation of Kuwait. Subsequent wars have also been authorized by the United Nations. Exactly what country are you from? I would certainly hope it isn't one that is part of the United Nations, because if so, you really should rethink that statement. Do you even understand what the wars are about? I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the wars...and I'll be the first to agree, our government is about half retarded, but you can't lay the blame of the wars on the US alone.
Perhaps you should go and find out what Veto power in the United Nations is all about and find out how many times the U.S. utilised its Veto power to do what it wants, even against fundamental international law that the UN supposedly believes in. If you think that being sanctioned by the United Nations has some credibility, you need to do more research.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#637494 Jul 7, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>Lol...what is "inatitutionalizatiin "...I'm not familiar with that word

:)
Fat fingers.

Skinny phone.

“Listen to the sounds”

#637495 Jul 7, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Those 'lunatics' carried out a very complex plan that involved some of them coming to the states and learning how to fly the particular plane they were going to take over and fly into the buildings.
Also they had the backing of Saudi Arabia.
Lunacy doesn't necessarily imply stupidity. Many psychopaths are geniuses in their field.

Where is your proof that the 9/11 terrorists were backed by the Saudi government?

“Listen to the sounds”

#637496 Jul 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Not even when you fly planes in to buildings, apparently.
How brave.
I do not fly planes into buildings.

You're a theist. You should know, death need not be feared.

Since: Jul 13

Ashland, OR

#637497 Jul 7, 2013
Well, there's the ontological proof.

1. God is that than which nothing greater can be conceived.

2. That which nothing greater can be conceived cannot exist in the understanding alone.

3. Therefore God exists.

I personally think it's B.S. because, as Kant pointed out, existence is not a predicate. But if you mock the proof, you're sort of pathetic since it's actually logically and ontologically brilliant.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#637498 Jul 7, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>Please, tell me, how does the fact that 'consciousness exists now' "certify" that it did not always exist? You're a freekin lying turd or a freekin idiot.
He said that?

“Listen to the sounds”

#637499 Jul 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because we saw the "celebration" of Muslims after the Twin Towers fell. We watched as the Muslims cheered and hoorayed about and burned American flags. They were so proud to have destroyed American buildings and civilians. They are the lowest of scum and the most cowardly of the cowards.
Japan learned in the 40's and Muslim terrorists are learning it now.
Don't mess with America. Don't wake the sleeping dragon...
You switch the TV on and you see a few hundred unemployed and idiotic Muslims rejoicing in the street, and you think "Oh the Muslim world loved it!".

That TV has really distorted your view of reality hey. Perhaps take a trip to the Middle east, and see with your own eyes what is going on in the streets and what the people's attitude really is. See it with your own eyes, not through a TV. Talk to people.

The news is a reporting of extraordinary occurrences. Why do you let it define the ordinary?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#637500 Jul 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I liked that SKS. Surprisingly accurate rifle.
Yes. The SKS and its successor the AK have a completely undeserved bad rap for inaccuracy.
Okay, they're not sub-MOA target rifles, but they generally hit what they're aimed at.

I blame the Sovs for that. They gave millions of the things to, erm, dissident tribesmen who were a hop and a skip out of the Stone Age. Showing somebody how to change a magazine does not a marksman make.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#637501 Jul 7, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Should I bring the horse crop this time?
{erhaps leave the spurs at home...

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

#637502 Jul 7, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>{erhaps leave the spurs at home...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min Truth 539,562
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 17 min bad bob 173,312
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 24 min Jim Justice 118,133
wonders on temple of solution (Jun '11) 44 min please help me 46
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Porkpie Hat 258,216
Sharing my wife's nude pics to be exposed 1 hr dobryidrug 32
Surrender Yourself To God! We're Living In Endt... 1 hr My 2 cents worth 3
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Patrick 226,561
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Stephania capitani 600,207
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE