Prove there's a god.
Myth Buster

Phoenix, AZ

#637644 Jul 7, 2013
Bullshit signed in wrote:
Smile PA...come on...just try it! it'll make ya feel good!
A successful de-conversion is worth smiling about.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#637645 Jul 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I don't fear death. It's a waste of time and energy to fear the inevitable.

But I do fear taking a life.

And I wouldn't even dream of murdering thousands of innocent people because I think a god told me to.
It's not death itself that worries me. Like you say, no sense in that.

It's the method that concerns me.

Like the pilot's son said.

I want to die in my sleep like my father. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#637646 Jul 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Ya sure, and y'all also invented delusions, sharia law, fascism, jihad, murder, war, hate, homophobia, oppression of women, suicide bombing.
Y'all got yer share of those.

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#637647 Jul 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Those bombs were meant to stop Stalin's huge army from walking over much more of Europe. They did. Nothing else could have stopped them.
The Russians had lost the ability to raise the materials and cash to fight Germany, if it had any intentions of marching across Europe it would have been cut short, because the US was bank rolling it.

“I speak my mind”

Since: Sep 10

It hurts to bite my tongue

#637648 Jul 7, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, I'll go down in the annals of phone history as a mythic kitty assassin, scorched fingers notwhithstanding. ;)
Well...I'm not sure I get that...but if you took out the "kodder" with the kitten, I'd consider you a hero!

“I speak my mind”

#637649 Jul 7, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
A is next to s and I is next to o.
Look it up.
Don't get all batty...it was a joke. good grief...the word was a mile long by the time you got through with it. It was funny..I LOL'd...I have typos all the time. Sorry if I offended you though...wasn't my intent.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#637651 Jul 7, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope all has been great for you.
I believe that , Haven't heard of any newly released or previously top secret papers released, but know there are several highly critical proposals been made. Saying exactly what you are saying about Japan being defeated, and we were wrong to have used them.
The US seems to be quite two faced when it comes to killing innocents and children.
While it may claim killing them was accidental, it cannot make that claim twice, and while we condemn other nations for terrorist bombings , we have repetitively killed children with smart bombs and drone strikes till the "it was an accidental killing" of innocents and children sounds lame and a piss poor excuse.
I clearly have mixed emotions on the issues :)

The Gembaku domu (nuclear museum) in Hiroshima is very, very eye opening. I highly recommend it. In fact, they have a written request that all leaders of all nations visit that museum.

It's quite a balanced portrayal of the war - probably one of the few official admissions of Japanese aggression in history, and it admits what Japan did to its colonies (ruining hundreds of thousands of women by forcing them into prostitution, the rape of Nankin, the torture of prisoners, etc).

It also has, on display, the secret papers behind the decision to use the nuclear weapons.

What's perhaps more interesting is that you, an American and me, a Japanese, can admit that the actions of our respective governments are morally wrong - so democracy and education are working! Now we just have to influence policy :)

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#637652 Jul 7, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not death itself that worries me. Like you say, no sense in that.
It's the method that concerns me.
Like the pilot's son said.
I want to die in my sleep like my father. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
I'm dead and I'm writing this to you from the beyond.

“I speak my mind”

#637653 Jul 7, 2013
Myth Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
A successful de-conversion is worth smiling about.
So I guess you're still wearing that frown huh? That's sad!

http://youtu.be/gBQvtafXx6A

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#637655 Jul 7, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
4s.
I'm just a capitalist pig?
Yay! 4S is Calitalist Pig Dog exempt!

Honestly. The 5 is shyte

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#637657 Jul 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
1. I think that number is a bit high. A very bit high. Adam had a language, oral & written. Did humans have that 160,000 years ago?
Humans absolutely had language 160kya, but not the written form. There is some evidence a written language developed around 60kya but was then lost. After that, you're looking at the beginnings of history - around 7000 BC or so.

If you seriously believe that Adam existed (and I'm sorry, I find that laughable) and you believe that he could read and write, then he could not have existed prior to 9000 years ago (unless the evidence from 60kya is accurate, in which case we can't conclude much at this moment).
2. So what? You're comparing humans from 2013 to human in, what, 50,000 BC? And, in my belief, humans that literally walked with God?
Errr...humans back then lived as hunter-gatherers. There were a few different "sub-species" (or, more accurately, semi-isolated populations) of human groups, including the Europeans, Neanderthals and Devinsonians (and likely more).

So, would you argue that humans exist now b/c "God" walked with them and enabled them to wipe out, and interbreed with, the other populations?(it's easier to postulate the same without the need for a divine interference...)
3. They'd be 'parents' from a different species?
What you see as "species" are really a collection of genes, bound by a morphology. It works like this: your children are like you, but also unique. Their children are like you, too, and like your children, and also unique. Your great-great grandchildren are increasingly less like you, like your children, and also unique. Keep doing this 5000 generations down the road and you have great-great X generation that has very little genetic input from you, whose ancestors may have faced wildly different environmental pressures, and who may not resemble you at all.

But at each point on the line, we can point at children who resemble their parents. At no point on the line would any child look remarkably unlike their parent. Got this?

It's when you separate the parent and progeny by thousands of generations the differences become profound.

Hence, DF is asking you "when was the first?" It's a trick question. There was never a first human - we have been constantly changing a little each generation. Yes, if we arbitrarily draw lines in the geological record (b/c we don't have a perfect fossil record), then what appear to be separate categories (species) are revealed. But if you could trace the entirety of the lineage, you'd get a sort of smooth picture emerging - dynamic change, generation by generation.

I know it's complicated, but that's how biology works.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#637658 Jul 7, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get all batty...it was a joke. good grief...the word was a mile long by the time you got through with it. It was funny..I LOL'd...I have typos all the time. Sorry if I offended you though...wasn't my intent.
Nah. It's ok. I forgive you.

“Rising”

Milky Way

#637659 Jul 7, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I clearly have mixed emotions on the issues :)
The Gembaku domu (nuclear museum) in Hiroshima is very, very eye opening. I highly recommend it. In fact, they have a written request that all leaders of all nations visit that museum.
It's quite a balanced portrayal of the war - probably one of the few official admissions of Japanese aggression in history, and it admits what Japan did to its colonies (ruining hundreds of thousands of women by forcing them into prostitution, the rape of Nankin, the torture of prisoners, etc).
It also has, on display, the secret papers behind the decision to use the nuclear weapons.
What's perhaps more interesting is that you, an American and me, a Japanese, can admit that the actions of our respective governments are morally wrong - so democracy and education are working! Now we just have to influence policy :)

My mother was a 6 year old girl in Tokyo , when they dropped the bombs.

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#637660 Jul 7, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> The Russians had lost the ability to raise the materials and cash to fight Germany, if it had any intentions of marching across Europe it would have been cut short, because the US was bank rolling it.
http://cloudworth.com/WW2-articles/WWII-tank-...

They had a pretty vigorous war industry going by the end of the war.

All they had to do was roll to occupy territory. Would have taken a stupendous amount of men, machinery, and time to reclaim the territory in a decimated continent and a war weary populace.

"The Soviet Union began and ended the war with more tanks than the rest of the world combined (18,000-22,000)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanks_in_World_W...

The bombs were dropped before the Soviet Army could be redirected. Those bombs made massed armies sitting ducks. Plus the threat of those bombs on Soviet cities and infrastructure. They did a lot to discourage opportunism on the part of the Soviets.

“I speak my mind”

#637662 Jul 7, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah. It's ok. I forgive you.
Lol...So....you're also Aerobatty? What's up with that? I just don't see the necessity in alter egos on this forum...but whatev...

“Rising”

Milky Way

#637663 Jul 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://cloudworth.com/WW2-articles/WWII-tank-...
They had a pretty vigorous war industry going by the end of the war.
All they had to do was roll to occupy territory. Would have taken a stupendous amount of men, machinery, and time to reclaim the territory in a decimated continent and a war weary populace.
"The Soviet Union began and ended the war with more tanks than the rest of the world combined (18,000-22,000)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanks_in_World_W...
The bombs were dropped before the Soviet Army could be redirected. Those bombs made massed armies sitting ducks. Plus the threat of those bombs on Soviet cities and infrastructure. They did a lot to discourage opportunism on the part of the Soviets.
Thats because we helped them move their heavy industries
(to where Hitler couldn't capture them) and loaned them money and materials. After the war ended it's precisely why Russia controlled half of Germany and America controlled half of Germany and the cold war started. As America and Russia drew the lines on the map.

Lamar, CO

#637664 Jul 7, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
My mother was a 6 year old girl in Tokyo , when they dropped the bombs.
So you are half Japanese?

That would explain your addiction to video games.

“Rising”

Milky Way

#637666 Jul 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are half Japanese?
That would explain your addiction to video games.
What? I'm not addicted to video games. I haven't even played one in months. Sometime I like playing them , but whatever gave you the idea I was?

“I speak my mind”

#637667 Jul 7, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
<< baking chicken, mashing potatoes, boiling corn-on-the-cob >>
.. has anything changed ??..
Absolutely nothing! How ya doing Happy? Hope all is well!

Lamar, CO

#637668 Jul 7, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Thats because we helped them move their heavy industries
(to where Hitler couldn't capture them) and loaned them money and materials. After the war ended it's precisely why Russia controlled half of Germany and America controlled half of Germany and the cold war started. As America and Russia drew the lines on the map.
The bombs drew the lines.

The Soviets had an established industry. All they would have to do was drive. We had an ocean to cross. They wouldn't have passed up the opportunity to occupy western Europe, too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 19 min House 272,418
Is the problem of groping in India over exagger... (Jan '11) 34 min DTC 484
Rajkot gay Topix 1 hr chirag parmar 197
sex (May '13) 1 hr vapi btm 180
Interracial Dating 2 hr white stud 3
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr Mia Copa 599,783
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 2 hr Dennis 42
The Christian Atheist debate 3 hr Justice League_ 2,009
White Lives MATTER 10 hr Burke Devlin 113
More from around the web