Prove there's a god.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#636768 Jul 5, 2013
undercontrolgh wrote:
The problem is i didnt have you fooled, i never thought your anything other than that in the first place.:) I am glad you can figure out things. Good Job.
<quoted text>
I do not have a clue what you said :)

Please, when insulting someone, make sure they can understand the insult :)

Anyways, keep at it, I am sure you will think up a good one sooner or later :)

Since: May 12

Accra, Ghana

#636769 Jul 5, 2013
Man, I am nor insulting. i am only talking about facts :) and plus if you have a problem understanding that would be Double fine problem.
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not have a clue what you said :)
Please, when insulting someone, make sure they can understand the insult :)
Anyways, keep at it, I am sure you will think up a good one sooner or later :)
Greens - tuf

Annandale, Australia

#636770 Jul 5, 2013
saidI wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not talking anything. I thought darkness was what we humans named the condition when the light goes. Is there such a thing as light?
Of course there is such a thing as light.
There are many different forms of light, a dark room will always be full of light, for pure light is everywhere.

As they say, "God is the light"

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#636771 Jul 5, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Erm, I don't know.
Dammit, no, there does not seem to be any such.
May I recommend this instead?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1051155/
I ordered that book from amazon yesterday. I'll get it in a week or so.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636772 Jul 5, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:

Whatcha drinking, RR?
Coffee

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

#636773 Jul 5, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Mob justice us vigilantisn, and whilst it serves to give the community a sense of Justice, this was not decided by a fair trial. This is closer to 'vengeance' than justice.
Another problem. Let us say 2 black guys kill a white guy, and two white guys killed a black guy, especially in SA. Now, let us assume that in one of the cases, there were mitigating circumstances, meaning the death penalty is off the table. Thus, the black guys will hang and the white guys face life. Can you imagine the field day idiots like the Youth League will have?
Conversely, let us say the white guys will get the noose, whilst the black guys get life. Can you imagine the public outcry of the alreadyoh-so-holier-than-thou boere?
Lastly... Nelson Mandela never gave anyone any reason to fear him, after coming out of prison. I think this should be emulated, rather than resorting to fear
I don't condone mob justice. I was just explaining why it happens. When the police fails you, then what choice do you have? One cannot live in terror all the time.

Mob justice is a symptom of failing law enforcement and growing financial inequality.

Mandela was the leader we needed him to be at the time. Do not forget that before all of that, he was at the very least, instrumental in forming the MK and conducting vandalism and making the country ungovernable. Unfortunately there were some deaths. The people needed rebellion and vigilantism during Apartheid and that is what he was. But when he got released and there was full democracy, he needed to be the forgiving and healing icon, and he rose to that role.

Today we have different issues. We have financial inequality, corruption. Our crime rate has given us more murders over the past 10 years than some war torn countries and countries with terrorism. We pride ourselves with the most humane constitution in the world, yet we have among the highest crime rates in the world. We need a leader who will rise to these challenges and I can bet you that if Mandela was young and taking office right now, he would not have the approach that he had back in 1994.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636774 Jul 5, 2013
Myth Buster wrote:
The Universe Shows No Evidence for Design:
http://www.colorado.edu/philosophy/vstenger/F...
Gee whiz, a religious skeptic has that opinion?!

No way!

Victor John Stenger is an American particle physicist, author, and religious skeptic

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_J._Stenger&#... ;

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636775 Jul 5, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>It wouldn't feel strange to you? That's... strange.
You can't say that. You have no idea what it's like to be a nonbeliever surrounded by the unwarranted intrusions of belief. I'm pretty confident that if you had to worry about your child not receiving a quality education because of nonsensical "teach the vampiric controversy" campaigns, you might feel compelled to speak out against it.
lol

"the unwarranted intrusions of belief"

Silly man.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636776 Jul 5, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>IF 95% of people were satan worshipers, would you be cool with "in satan we trust" on our money?
How are you "losing out" by not plastering your religious sentiments on everything? It affects your faith if you don't have your belief affirmed by a piece of currency?
Furthermore, in this country, yes, the majority is expected to refrain from publicly favoring the majority religion. It is not "catering to" anyone to follow the constitution.
I guess you only believe in the principals this country was founded upon so long as they don't infringe on your "right" to mix the state with the majority religion.
God on money or public buildings is not an infraction of the US Constitution, no matter what evilbible.com tells you.

What do you mean by "the majority is expected to refrain from publicly favoring the majority religion"? How's that? Christians are 'expected' to refrain from favoring Christianity?!

O_o

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636777 Jul 5, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>"Humanism is a group of philosophies and ethical perspectives which emphasize the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers individual thought and evidence (rationalism, empiricism) over established doctrine or faith (fideism). The term humanism can be ambiguously diverse, and there has been a persistent confusion between several related uses of the term because different intellectual movements have identified with it over time.[1] In philosophy and social science, humanism refers to a perspective that affirms some notion of a "human nature" (contrasted with anti-humanism). In modern times, many humanist movements have become strongly aligned with secularism, with the term Humanism often used as a byword for non-theistic beliefs about ideas such as meaning and purpose, however early humanists were often religious, such as Ulrich von Hutten who was a strong supporter of Martin Luther and the Reformation."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism
It is primarily focused on affirming human rights and humanity in general. There is nothing egocentric about it. It's not "I'm special," it's "humans and their rights are important and should be respected and defended."
In modern times, it has come to be associated with the idea that we should favor rational thought over faith, which is not egocentric anyway.

According to the International Humanist and Ethical Union's bylaw 5.1:

Humanism is a democratic and ethical life stance, which affirms that human beings have the right and responsibility to give meaning and shape to their own lives.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636778 Jul 5, 2013
timn17 wrote:
Did you really just use bruce almighty to explain why god allows people to suffer endlessly?
No, it was an analogy.
No one is saying that god should answer literally every single prayer, such a thing would probably lead to a pretty chaotic environment. However, there is no reason why a just, loving, omnipotent god should allow people to have atrocities visited upon them.
But where would God stop? OK, so He stops a tornado and saves 100 lives, and a hurricane the next day and an earthquake and a flood. Now what about dear ole Aunty that dies in the car crash? Why didn't He stop that, too? What about mom, that died in the hospital bed? He could've prevented that. And little Fido didn't have to get mauled by that other dog...

You see?
Free will is impossible if we are dealing with a god as described in the bible, but that's neither here nor there.
Yes we do have free will.
It is worth mentioning, however, that you just finished saying that even your god has his limits and that he cannot contradict the basic rules of logic and mathematics - he can't make a square triangle and he can't make 2 plus 2 equal 5. So in light of this assertion, it would seem that it would also be impossible for your god, described as all knowing and all powerful, to also allow free will to exist. Free will is not compatible with these attributes - god and free will are completely mutually exclusive.
Anyways, saying that your god chooses not to intervene to preserve our free will is a load of poppycock. Ignoring the fact that free will can't exist in your god scenario, it is not so sacred that it's preservation warrants the unthinkable things that have happened and continue to happen to sentient creatures (not just human beings). Would you rather have your free will preserved in almost all situations, only to have it removed in situations where your god prevents terrible tragedies from befalling you; or would you prefer the complete "free choice" of having you and your entire family swept up by a tornado? Is total free will so important that it justifies the fact that human beings just like you and I (or our loved ones) are regularly captured, tortured, raped, and killed - often all as part of a package deal? And even if free will was so important as to justify these things - how does that explain why these things exist in the first place under the watch of a (so called) loving, merciful, all powerful god? Surely he could have prevented serial killers; tornados; early death; aids; cancer; heart disease; genocide - or any manner of meaningless pain from ever existing in the first place.
Scratch that. I forgot that he's mysterious.
Your argument against free will is ridiculous. It goes like this:

"There can't be free will and your god of the bible.

Cuz I said so"
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

#636779 Jul 5, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Fear children. After all, they will determine your final repose.
Children are just people.
They know what is right.
Why would they determine anything?
They need to enjoy their childhood.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#636780 Jul 5, 2013
undercontrolgh wrote:
<quoted text>I thank God, i can at least think. Ohh, it would be scary to hear someone tell me that a tornado passed by a junkyard and reassembled an old mercedes benz by chance and then i believe it. Do you think someone who believes this has a brain? I suggest you ask a 5th grader.:)
Gee. Never heard that one before.

It's usually a 747.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636781 Jul 5, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>WTF? You think that the war on drugs is "compassion?" Are you nuts? The war on drugs is barbaric - it ruins lives -
You know what? No. Drugs ruin lives, not trying to remove drugs.

This is what I mean by liberal nuts.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636782 Jul 5, 2013
timn17 wrote:

And again - we *have* harsh punishments. We put people to death.
That's very rare. What I'm talking about is light punishment and cushy jail time.

"CUSHY?" you say.... Yes, cushy. Why the f_ck do prisons & jails have cable fucking tv? Internet? Air conditioning? ETC! ETC! Those bastards in prison are there to be punished, NOT a for a summer vacation.

I'm sure you believe in time-outs for kids. Would you send your kid on a time-out to their room where all the toys are? No?

Imagine that.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636783 Jul 5, 2013
HERE IT IS, FOLKS!

LIBERALISM 101:
timn17 wrote:
They aren't all bloodthirsty maniacs, some are just people who had some bad luck, shoplifted a few times to feed their family, and ended up in jail for life because of the absurd 3 strikes law.
That's right. Shoplifters are good people that're just trying to feed their family by stealing clothes....

pssst: shoplifting isn'a a three strikes offense.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636784 Jul 5, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Did I say that? The focus on punishment and the lack of focus on rehabilitation certainly makes it easier for crackheads to stay crackheads, but our punishments in and of themselves aren't directly responsible.
The point is that what we are doing clearly isn't working - we have very high drug abuse rates even after a decades long "war." Why lock up someone for having a drug problem? Why not try to help them become a productive member of society?
Ok, son. You're totally lost.

Why don't you go down to your local bum shelter and see about talking them into rehabilitation. Give it a shot.

Or visit the crackheads at the YWCA, see what they think of your little plan.(they'd love it - no worries of punishment for breaking the law).

One thing I REALLY don't undertand about you liberals is how the hell you justify spending tax money to get these crackheads off crack when it was their OWN money that got them into it in the first place.

Since: May 12

Accra, Ghana

#636785 Jul 5, 2013
Well i guess now you heard!
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee. Never heard that one before.
It's usually a 747.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636786 Jul 5, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem with the death penalty debate, is that people argue with their feelings and emotions, rather than their minds. Truth be told. Those idiots that planted the Boston bombs, killing that boy, I would love to tear that man open with a rusty knife. I would make "Saw" and "Hostel" look like a Disney animated film. Jigsaw ain't got shit on me.
But in such a debate, one needs to examine facts, rather than feelings. And here are some:
Fact: Countries that do not have the death penalty instated have a lower crime rate than those that do.
Fact: You cannot release a dead man from prison and bring him back to his family is you make a mistake
Fact: No forensic test or examination is 100% infallible. Mistakes can be made
Fact: There have been innocents who were executed, only for their innocence to be revealed later
Fact: Family members of an innocent victim of capital punishment would sue you for the price of an Iraqi war
Fact: Violent crime shows that there is a problem within the system itself.
We weren't talking only about the death penalty, but about crime in general and the way these sissy American liberals have the need to pamper criminals and "feel for them". Read timn's posts, he's going on and on like it's not the criminal's fault, it's the law's.

O_o

I had my truck stolen once, about 15 years ago. It had all my work tools in it. I got the truck back in a few days but all the tools were gone. ALL of them. They were my livelihood, I needed them to feed my family and I spent years accumulating them.

The little meth head f_ckhead that stole my truck got caught, got sentenced to 30 days in county jail and was released in two weeks.

TWO WEEKS! It took me over a year to repurchase all my tools. It was like I was being punished for some meth head's crime.

Would any sane person think that he learned his lesson and has repaid his debt to society? No. All that accomplished was untold thousands spent on lega fees and two weeks for that SOB to catch up on his sleep. He learned nothing, he didn't feel punished and he stole more cars.

Our system is f_cked. People like that need to be thrown in a dungeon for a year, cold and damp and scary. They NEED to be afraid to go to prison. They NEED to be afraid to break the law.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636787 Jul 5, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
Because what if you are the 5%?
What if? You need to understand that you're the minority and you need to take it in stride and go along with it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min Good Bob 18,316
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Gods r Delusion x... 684,061
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 3 min USA-1 39,248
LaVar Ball is a POS(sherbert?)Bigot 4 min Doctor REALITY 1
What do Colin Kaepernick and O.J. Simpson have ... 16 min Doctor REALITY 2
MESSAGE 4 Kyrie Irving of the Cleveland Cavaliers 2 hr Doctor REALITY 6
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr lil whispers 619,715
More from around the web