Prove there's a god.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#636564 Jul 4, 2013
scaritual wrote:
Double Fine wrote: Matter can create itself, from energy. The applicable theorem, of course, is E=m.C^2.
Evidence does suggest that amino acids can be created from the elements avalable on earth, hundreds of millions of years ago. Currently, the hypothesis is that these amino acids gave rise to self-replicating life.
<quoted text>It goes a little further than that.
"Life’s First Spark Re-Created in the Laboratory"
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/05/rib...
Not accruing,*occurring*.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#636565 Jul 4, 2013
shahid afridi wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe in God?
Sir Donald Bradman?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636566 Jul 4, 2013
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
I'm getting of topix for the day...be back tomorrow :)
Awww.... We were hoping you'd be getting off...

Lol

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636567 Jul 4, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Noun: Almighty
1. Term referring to the Judeo-Christian God
Adjective: almighty
1. Having unlimited power
WordWeb Pro 6.6
God bless WordWeb Pro 6.6

But almighty also means 'very great' or 'enormous'.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636568 Jul 4, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
You're forgetting what was stated in Judges 1:1,2
1) After the death of Joshua, the Israelites asked the LORD, "Who of us is to go up first to fight against the Canaanites?"2) The LORD answered, "Judah shall go up; I have given the land into their hands."(Judges 1:1,2 NIV)
And you think that means God was like literally leading the battle?!

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#636569 Jul 4, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
my arguments have been against evolution and I have not used "God did it" as a feeble attempt to dodge and I have used scientific information to back up my arguments....that's hardly mirroring people who interpret the bible literally.
You are stereotyping me solely on the knowledge that I believe in God....that's really what's going on here.
Nope there are several people in topix who do the same thing you do exactly. They are all creationists defending genesis of the bible.
As matter of a fact if you take the genesis story out of the picture
there is little to argue about concerning science the big bang and evolution. So you are being dishonest at the very least to yourself.
At worst to yourself and us.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#636570 Jul 4, 2013
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
The thing is, the fossil record is tiny compared to the amount of life that exists. Perhaps one in a million specimens gets fossilized. So one can expect many surprises.
Oh, certainly. The Coelocanth certainly was one. The first Apatosaur (Brontosaurus) must have been a huge one. A blue whale sized animal, living on land?? How about Quetzecoatalus? A flying reptile with a 15m wingspan? Must have been a shocker. Hell, Spinosaurus. When first discovered it didnt raise many eyebrows, but when compared to related species Baryonix, it was foind Spinosaurus was nearly a third of a bodylength longer than Tyrannosaurus Rex, and could possibly have been twice as heavy! That is all hypothesis at the moment, though. Archaeopteryx? Tiktaalik? The Taung child?

So we have been surprised again and again. But nothing that destroyed the theory... Only stuff that added to it.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636571 Jul 4, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no higher acclaim than 'theory'.
The theory predicts phenomena.
Like the theory of evolution says that you would not find a rabbit in the Cambrian. Or a lion in the Jurassic, etc. Now, those are big and abvious points. Sonetines, we get surprises. Like a coelocanth. But havent found anything that turns the theory belly up.
Yes, I understand that. But we've uncovered so few fossils compared to how much life there's been on this planet the past X billion years, there's high probability that our current science is just too ignorant to have a definitive answer.

I'll remain skeptical.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#636572 Jul 4, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me the scripture that's says "the skydaddy in the clouds".
Whenever you're ready.....
21) By day the LORD went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night.(Exodus 13:21 NIV)

7)“Look, he is coming with the clouds,” and “every eye will see him,
even those who pierced him” and all peoples on earth “will mourn because of him.” So shall it be! Amen.(Revelation 1:7 NIV)

19) And when you look up to the sky and see the sun, the moon and the stars—all the heavenly array—do not be enticed into bowing down to them and worshiping things the Lord your God has apportioned to all the nations under heaven.(Deuteronomy 4:18-20 NIV)

18) Micaiah continued,“Therefore hear the word of the Lord: I saw the Lord sitting on his throne with all the multitudes of heaven standing on his right and on his left.(2 Chronicles 18:18 NIV)

4) The Lord is in his holy temple; the Lord is on his heavenly throne. He observes everyone on earth; his eyes examine them.(Psalm 11:4-6 NIV)

9)“This, then, is how you should pray:“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,(Matthew 6:9 NIV)

I don't think I need to interpret those for you, do I?

Let's see what a Christian site has to say about "the heavens".

The Bible speaks of three heavens(...) The first being our immediate atmosphere, the second is outer space as far as it stretches, and the third is the place where God himself dwells. What Jesus called the “Father's house.”
http://www.letusreason.org/Biblexp130.htm

Finally...

Within Christianity, the child religion of the parent religion of Judaism.

"The Gospel of Matthew frequently uses the phrase "kingdom of heaven", where the other Synoptic Gospels speak of the "kingdom of God", one of the key elements of the teachings of Jesus in the New Testament. Revelation 12:7-9 speaks of a war in heaven between Michael the Archangel and his angels against the Dragon and his angels, after which the Dragon and his angels are "thrown down to the earth".
In the 2nd century AD, Irenaeus of Lyons recorded a belief that, in accordance with John 14:2, those who in the afterlife see the Saviour are in different mansions, some dwelling in the heavens, others in paradise and others in "the city".
While the word used in all these writings, in particular the New Testament Greek word &#959;&#8016;&#961 ;&#945;&#957;&#972 ;&#962; (ouranos), applies primarily to the sky, it is also used metaphorically of the dwelling place of God and the blessed."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven#Christia...

Within Judaism, the parent religion of Christianity.

"The term for heavens in the Tanakh is shamayim, located above the firmament (a solid, transparent dome which covered the earth and separated it from the "waters" above). The God of Israel (Yahweh) lived in Heaven or in the "Heaven of Heavens" (the exact difference between these two, if any, is unclear) in a heavenly palace. His dwelling on earth was Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem, which was a model of the cosmos and included a section which represented Heaven."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven#Judaism_...

Yeah, although you may not like the term or phrase, "skydaddy", it is an accurate representation. Most Christians like to think of it as "Heavenly Father".

Same thing.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636573 Jul 4, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, certainly. The Coelocanth certainly was one. The first Apatosaur (Brontosaurus) must have been a huge one. A blue whale sized animal, living on land?? How about Quetzecoatalus? A flying reptile with a 15m wingspan? Must have been a shocker. Hell, Spinosaurus. When first discovered it didnt raise many eyebrows, but when compared to related species Baryonix, it was foind Spinosaurus was nearly a third of a bodylength longer than Tyrannosaurus Rex, and could possibly have been twice as heavy! That is all hypothesis at the moment, though. Archaeopteryx? Tiktaalik? The Taung child?
So we have been surprised again and again. But nothing that destroyed the theory... Only stuff that added to it.
Too...

many...

big...

words....

KHAAAAAAN!!!!

Location hidden

#636574 Jul 4, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
BZZZZZT!
Abiogenesis is about life accruing naturally and on it's own, not being forcibly created.
It isn't being "forcibly created".

Showing that Abiogenesis can happen, is the point.

Location hidden

#636575 Jul 4, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And you think that means God was like literally leading the battle?!
Doesn't matter who was leading the battle, the mythic deity stated the conditions and results.
Myth Buster

Prescott Valley, AZ

#636576 Jul 4, 2013
Bullshit signed in wrote:
Who claimed Christian pseudoscience was science?
Stop spamming this forum with disingenuous Christian pseudoscience bullshit!

http://www.skepdic.com/cambrian.html

For some reason, creationists think the Cambrian explosion is evidence that counts against evolution but supports their hypothesis that an invisible magical being created species individually. As Jerry Coyne notes: "Many animals and plants do not show up as fossils until well after the Cambrian explosion: bony fishes and land plants first appeared around 440 million years ago, reptiles around 350 million years ago, mammals around 250 million years ago, flowering plants around 210 million years ago, and human ancestors around 5 million years ago. The staggered appearance of groups that become very different over the next 500 million years gives no support to the notion of instantaneously created species that thereafter remain largely unchanged. If this record does reflect the exertions of an intelligent designer, he was apparently dissatisfied with nearly all of his creations, repeatedly destroying them and creating a new set of species that just happened to resemble descendants of those that he had destroyed."

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636577 Jul 4, 2013
scaritual wrote:
19) And when you look up to the sky and see the sun, the moon and the stars—all the heavenly array—do not be enticed into bowing down to them and worshiping things the Lord your God has apportioned to all the nations under heaven.(Deuteronomy 4:18-20 NIV)

[...]

I don't think I need to interpret those for you, do I?
No, that'll do.

Pay special attention to those verses.

"DO not bow down to them" is what we are taught.

We don't believe in a "skydaddy in the clouds", only atheists do.

This is how YOU have interpreted the scriptures. YOU are an atheist,

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636578 Jul 4, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
It isn't being "forcibly created".
Showing that Abiogenesis can happen, is the point.
Through creatiion, yes.

Humans are creating the environment and ingredients necessary to make it happen....

Location hidden

#636579 Jul 4, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that'll do.
Pay special attention to those verses.
"DO not bow down to them" is what we are taught.
We don't believe in a "skydaddy in the clouds", only atheists do.
This is how YOU have interpreted the scriptures. YOU are an atheist,
That's your opinion concerning the mythology.

People can read that mythology and decide to term it how they see fit. I understand that as a Christian, since you believe the mythology to represent a literal reality, you don't like, "skydaddy", that's fine.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636580 Jul 4, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't matter who was leading the battle, the mythic deity stated the conditions and results.
He did?!

Location hidden

#636581 Jul 4, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Through creatiion, yes.
Humans are creating the environment and ingredients necessary to make it happen....
They are replicating the conditions, applying the conditions, and then allowing that to succeed or fail.

Again, the point is to illustrate it can happen.

How else do you propose that Abiogenesis be illustrated as something that can happen?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636582 Jul 4, 2013
Mythic Idiot wrote:
Things and stuff
Stop spamming this forum with disingenuous atheist pseudoscience bullshit!

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#636583 Jul 4, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
That's your opinion concerning the mythology.
People can read that mythology and decide to term it how they see fit. I understand that as a Christian, since you believe the mythology to represent a literal reality, you don't like, "skydaddy", that's fine.
You still haven't provided any information or evidence that any CHristian refers to God as a skydaddy OR that He lives in the clouds.

As I've said, that's an atheist belief.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 3 min No Surprize 88,097
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 15 min henry 703,710
Are millennials more open-minded to LGBTQ dating? 51 min Freedom of speech 2
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Moo Goo Guy Pan 448,493
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 2 hr Grunt56 223,078
Last post wins (May '13) 5 hr Hatti_Hollerand 543
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 6 hr Wisdom of Ages 6,918