Prove there's a god.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#636148 Jul 3, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>Now that I know it's a sin to wear wool on more than 50% of your body, I'm surely gonna make it to heaven :)
I thought it was funny that Mr. Deity was, basically, blaming his girlfriend Lucy (short for Lucifer) for thinking up the concept of circumcision.

“I speak my mind”

Since: Sep 10

It hurts to bite my tongue

#636149 Jul 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I think you show the classic christian fundamentalist denial of science that they feel threatens their belief. I's not your fault, it is a common issue with belief. I still love you anyway, even my own wife rejects the truth, because we were trained to believe certain things.
well I love you too Aura...but I'm not in denial...I just have a lot of unanswered questions.

:)

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#636150 Jul 3, 2013
Pokay wrote:
<quoted text>Let me try this way. You say consciousness has been "seen" in biological systems. Has it really been seen or is it the *results* of conscious manipulation that we sense?
Consciousness is not a tangible thing. A brain is. Therefore we can be more than 50% certain that a brain wasn't always in existence, but until we make consciousness a tangible thing then we cannot assume anything about it. You are assuming that it came into being. You can believe it but you can't say that science has any more right to claim that consciousness came into being rather than always being. It's as simple as that. It doesn't matter if we only notice it being associated with sentient life; we don't know what it is.
<quoted text> I don't understand you here. Would you try to explain it for me?
While you're doing that, consider this. Who better to figure out what I am than myself? If I can't figure out what I am then who will? Some scientist? Really? My consciousness is mine and no one else's. I can't figure out what I am. That's because consciousness is intangible even to ourselves. We can't assume anything about something intangible.
You're saying consciousness came into being just because we see it associated with certain life. There is also energy associated with
that same sentient life. Should we assume energy came into being also?
Who better to figure out what I am than myself?
How would we make consciousness a tangible thing? By creating it ourselves? By understanding it? Why are we not allowed to assume anything about it until we make it "tangible?" Must we discover the graviton and invent artificial gravity before we can assume that gravity has something to do with mass? I think it's a safe assumption that consciousness is an emergent property of life. Not definite by any means, but reasonable.

Location hidden

#636151 Jul 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs /daily-buzz/train-runs-over-cz ech-woman-she-climbs-walks-170 427137.html
Watch the video.
Praise Zeus!

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#636152 Jul 3, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Well...for the record...I'm not religious. I believe in God and try to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. there's quite a difference there too. As for indoctrinated...Someone would have had to instruct or teach me in the principles of a certain doctrine for me to have been indoctrinated. I read the bible...I guess I'm allowing the scripture of dead, ancients to indoctrinate me...if you must believe I am.
We don't believe you are, you exhibit the traits of someone who is, it's empirical and obvious.

“I speak my mind”

Since: Sep 10

It hurts to bite my tongue

#636153 Jul 3, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Just super busy and trying to post when I only have seconds to do it. I really should get a real computer because trying to type on an iPhone is pure madness.
How are things mi Amiga?
Yes, cell phones will drive you mad. get an IPad! they're light and easy to handle, but have a much larger keypad than a phone....love mine!
I'm Excellent this week...I'm on vacation...gotta love that! I'm soaking up sun and being a topix Junkie...why oh why do I love this forum and all the crazies on here?

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#636154 Jul 3, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I wasn't taught to believe....I was taught to explore all avenues and retain what was good. My dad was a hippie who later did become a Christian...but it was never, and believe me, he wouldn't allow it, a practice in my home for my parents to push religion on me. My dad had Catholicism pushed down his throat and he was adamant that he would not raise me like that or allow my mother to. He left home at 16 and the Catholic Church.

I didn't specify who, as it doesn't even have to be a who.
It is something YOU display, and things you type in here that give it away.

Location hidden

#636155 Jul 3, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't define spiritual evidence, but working in the medical field, I have seen and heard of numerous events that were unexplainable by physicians. I have personally never experienced a miracle, but I can't tell you the number of patients who have had unexplainable events or miracle like things occur that they almost always attribute to God or explain as spiritual evidence that God, indeed, must exist. I don't use that as evidence to back up my belief...it just is what it is. Whether you like or believe it is your choice, but in the end, it is their personal experiences and they occur all the time. For these people, it is evidence. What you term as a mental phenomenon, to them is a real spiritual experience. What kind of phenomena would suggest is it when four PET scans, done over a two week period, by four separate machines, shows three separate huge masses in three different areas on a man's body. Following two prayer services and the testimony from this man of having a very odd spiritual encounter with God...no medication, no medical intervention of any sort, his scans come back clear. explain that... You can't. Nor could the scientific/medical world. But that man...he recognized it as spiritual evidence.
I don't doubt science because of my belief. I believe, because science has given me so much to doubt. Not to mention, I am completely and utterly amazed and captivated by the love and life of Jesus Christ.
This is what's called anecdotal evidence, and it is no more convincing to me than the claims of snake handlers and faith healer televangelists. People of faith are simply the types of people to attribute the chaotic, dumb luck nature of the world to god.

As for the man - sometimes strange things happen. To attribute an event to god simply because we don't know exactly what happened is nonsensical. And if you want to throw in "faith healing" as proof, you are doing yourself a huge disservice. The number of people who experience a "miracle healing" after praying to god is *tiny* compared to the number of people who get bad news, pray endlessly, and then die a painful death. Where was god then? After all, if faith heals people, you would think believers would have a 100% cancer remission rate. In fact, one would think they'd never get cancer in the first place. But.. oh yes, god is mysterious. The ultimate cop out.
Sharkey

Vallejo, CA

#636156 Jul 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Did it ever occur to you that there is no reason NOT to assume that God exists?!
timm17: Did it ever occur to you that there is no reason to assume that god exists?

RiversideRedneck: Did it ever occur to you that there is no reason NOT to assume that god exists?

^^^^

Take a hard look at both these statements, and think about them both.

Does it occur to either one of you that both of you are cancelling each other's statements out?

If each one of you both says the other is wrong, that makes both of you wrong because neither of you are right because remember - you declared each other wrong.

0-0=0.

The idea of a god existing has been canceled out.

Completely.

Every time someone thinks they have proof, someone else points out that it is not proof.

Every time someone points out the lack of proof, there are those that insist that the proof is there.

There are even disputes among the proof-bearers of what constitutes as the right kind of "proof".

The argument just goes in a circle.

No resolution.

Instead of fighting over whether there is a god or no, we humans should keep doing what we can do to not let our planet turn into black ball of radioactive ash - all over a question that may never, never be answered.

Location hidden

#636157 Jul 3, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.....Over 40 authors left written information over a span of greater than 1500 years that was later compiled into one book...the bible. I read it...and I'm totally influenced by it...But not By a group of people or a man behind some pulpit who preaches one thing and does another.
I wonder what religion you would be had you been born in a muslim country to muslim parents. Or to buddhist parents. Etc.

I doubt you went through life never having heard of this thing called christianity, only to one day pick up a bible and convert.

Since: Mar 11

Melbourne, Australia

#636158 Jul 3, 2013
Just heard two men have had bone marrow and stem cell transplants, and they are no longer HIV positive.
This proves to me no God gives us disease for being naughty.
Sharkey

Vallejo, CA

#636159 Jul 3, 2013
waaaz up wrote:
<quoted text>
What attention do you seek from this forum? All you do is spew out the same ol regurgitated BS...
Self awareness isnt your strong suit is it...lol
You are a broken record, that needs a new catch phrase..
And you actually think you contribute any thing?/ puuuleees..
No one is forced to be on Topix. Everyone has an opposing point of view and this argument will likely go on forever.

You are free to leave this room and do something better than argue over a god that may or may not exist.

Is it really worth the self-extinction of our entire species?

Think of the irony of killing ourselves to find god.

Location hidden

#636160 Jul 3, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhmmm....what fossils are you referring to? The are few fossils prior to the Cambrian explosion that lend sufficient evidence. Can YOU provide evidence that they exist? I'm sure you will be quite the popular guy if you can.
I was joking. You asked what evidence we have, via fossils, that "phyla evolved." We have plenty of fossil evidence for some phyla, as not all phyla are represented in the cambrian explosion. Your question was vague, and I purposely ignored the beginning of your post.

Anyways, let's just pretend that fossils don't exist. Things don't fossilize. We'd still have nearly irrefutable proof of evolution. Picking at holes in the fossil record is easy, because fossils are, by their very nature, incredibly rare and hard to find. We are talking millions upon millions of years here. It's a wonder we have found so many in the first place. But even if we hadn't, it'd still be incredibly clear that we evolved. Dna, comparative anatomy, vestigal parts, our observations of natural selection in action, etc.

Location hidden

#636161 Jul 3, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
well...I'm glad you agree!!!
“Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt.”
&#8213; Cassandra Clare, City of Bones
Wit via quotation is the hallmark of the mentally deficient.

I thought that one up myself. Have you gone your entire life without ever being sarcastic?

Also - city of bones? A masterwork on the human condition. I'd be remiss to not take this lady's advice on sarcasm.
Myth Buster

Scottsdale, AZ

#636162 Jul 3, 2013
Al Garcia wrote:
There are many that can't understand how someone can be both analytical and spiritual.
Numerous studies have confirmed the common sense observation that religious brainwashing retards intellectual development as godbots demonstrate on a daily basis in this forum. The religiously retarded simply lack the intelligence to experience cognitive dissonance.

Location hidden

#636163 Jul 3, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
Well...for the record...I'm not religious. I believe in God and try to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. there's quite a difference there too. As for indoctrinated...Someone would have had to instruct or teach me in the principles of a certain doctrine for me to have been indoctrinated. I read the bible...I guess I'm allowing the scripture of dead, ancients to indoctrinate me...if you must believe I am.
You weren't raised in a christian family/environment?
waaaz up

London, KY

#636164 Jul 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I think you show the classic christian fundamentalist denial of science that they feel threatens their belief. I's not your fault, it is a common issue with belief. I still love you anyway, even my own wife rejects the truth, because we were trained to believe certain things.
Do you realize the same thing you say to this poster apply's to you as well?

You are just as indoctrinated as the next person, if thats what you wish to call it..

You are trained/wired to believe what you have "chosen"..

Faith/God, a divine being "threatings" what you believe!

Therefore your own logic is your enemy..
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

#636165 Jul 3, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Not everybody's.
Yours are, though.
Steve Carrel is so funny in his
cartoons. Go see Despicable me.
He will make you laugh.

Location hidden

#636166 Jul 3, 2013
Truth signed in wrote:
<quoted text>
concise and easy....do you really believe I'm not intelligent enough to understand how evidence works? That was beyond insulting...If I were shallow...it wold have made me down right mad. But I'm not...and it was funny.
You certainly seemed to be having issues understanding that no scientific theory claims to be 100% true. The purpose of that site is to explain that theories work with what's available to whittle down a theory as close as we can get to the "truth." You also just described anecdotal faith healing nonsense as true evidence.
Myth Buster

Scottsdale, AZ

#636167 Jul 3, 2013
Bullshit signed in wrote:
ONLY the unreligiously retarded of the world accept abiogenesis as significant. Most scientists don't even support that.
100% wrong! You're making a complete fool of yourself and should really stop.

The religiously retarded have been programmed to believe life was created by design. All rational people understand life on earth had an entirely natural origin.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min Buck Crick 55,639
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 28 min Steve III 649,626
TRUTH about illegal aliens (Aug '14) 1 hr Knock off purse s... 12
Does anybody know Doctor REALITY'S race or nati... 2 hr Knock off purse s... 36
rajkot gey (Nov '15) 2 hr Hemant patel 77
TARABYA PROFILO TARABYA SERVIS 212) 202 62 35 P... 2 hr sertek 1
SARIYER Profilo Sariyer Tamir Servis 212 ) 202 ... 2 hr sertek 1
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 hr DebraE 106,050
More from around the web